Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Bloodied and his armor bent, Lubash stumbles a bit, then starts to laugh like a maniac. Blood leaks out from his armor through gaps in it as he steps forward again. "You've added a few new scars to my armor, sickness! Let that soothe your transistion to the grave!" He calls as he steps forward, and then swings a huge swath at the Ettin and the Berserker, his blade glowing with holy power as he chops, ignorant of his wounds.

Shifting up one, then using Diving Strength as a Minor for +5 damage on this turn, then Strength from Valor on the Berserker and the Ettin

Strength from Valor vs Fortitude: 1d20+12 17 1d12+11 14

I did it wrong and accidentally only rolled one attack roll. That's Fort on the Berserker, which I think hits. Here's Fort versus the Ettin

Strength from Valor vs Fortitude: 1d20+12 27

So I hit them both and gain 10 more Temp HP

pre:
Lubash   						 
HP: 12/49 (THP: 15 )         AC:   23    Passive Insight: 24
Surges: 9/10 (V: 12)       For:  20    Passive Perception: 16
Initiative: +3   	  Ref:  16    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	          Will: 17    Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Goblin

At Will			      Encounter			             Daily
Lay on Hands                   [x] Heedless Fury                      [ ] Blood of the Mighty
Ardent Strike                  [X] Call of Challenge                  [ ] Arc of Vengeance
Valiant Strike (MBA)           [ ] Strength from Valor              
                               [ ] Divine Mettle
                               [ ] Second Wind
                               [x] Sohei Flurry
                               [ ] Divine Strength
                               [x] Furious Assault

Item Powers
[ ] Fullblade of Defense (Daily)
[x ] Lucky Charm (Daily)
[ ] Gauntlets of Ogre Power (Daily)

Conditionals/Resists:
Defensive Weapon: Resist 1 Damage when holding Weapon of Defense
Half-Orc Resilience: Gain 5/10/15 Temp HP when first Bloodied
Swift Charge: +2 speed when charging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

"Too afraid of me so you focus on the little ones? That won't save you!" Gwenvyn admonishes as she brings the hammer down on the ettin twice, the first making more of an impression than the second.

I get to try and wallop with with Warden's Fury twice!

Warden's Fury vs Fortitude: 1d20+12+2 29 1d10r1+9 18

Warden's Fury vs Fortitude: 1d20+12+2 18 1d10r1+9 13

It grants CA to me and allies until end of my next turn.

pre:
Gwenvyn   						 
HP: 46/63 (THP: )         AC:   22    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 14/14 (V: 15)     For:  20    Passive Perception: 15
Initiative: +2   	  Ref:  16    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	          Will: 16    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Giant

At Will			 Encounter			  Daily
Thorn Strike             [x] Burst of Earth's Fury        [ ] Berserker's Fury
Warden's Fury            [ ] Guardian's Counter           [ ] Form of Mountain's Thunder
Warden's Grasp           [ ] Incredible Toughness              [ ] Form Attack (Encounter)
Weight of Earth          [x] Roots of Stone               [ ] Inspiring Fortitude
                         [ ] Second Wind                  [ ] Thunder Step

Item Powers
[ ] Shield of Speed and Evasion (Daily)

Conditionals/Resists:
Berserker's Fury: +1d8 damage for melee basic attacks
Bludgeon Expertise: +1sq. to push/slide distance with hammer weapon attacks
Crippling Crush: +4 (Con mod) damage to targets slowed or immobilized with
   hammer attack
Earthstrength: Additional +4 (Con mod) to AC with second wind
Font of Life: At start of turn, make a save against one save ends effect; may
   still save against it at end of turn
Form of Mountain's Thunder: Resist 3 all, +1 AC, 1/rd on melee hit, all marked
   opponents take 5 thunder dmg
Sudden Roots: Enemy hit with an OA is slowed until end of next turn
Tireless: Only need to sleep 6 hours in 72-hour period

Interrupts:
Guardian's Counter (Interrupt) Trigger: An ally within 2 squares is
hit by an attack that doesn't also target Gwenvyn. Effect: Gwenvyn and ally
each shift up to 2 squares, swapping position. Gwenvyn becomes the target of the
attack; after the attack is resolved, Gwenvyn gets a basic attack against the
attacker.
Shield Power: (Reaction) Trigger: An attacker scores a critical hit
on Gwenvyn with an attack on AC or Ref. Effect: Regain use of an Encounter
power of level 4 or less.
Warden's Fury: (Interrupt) Trigger: Marked enemy makes an attack not
including Gwenvyn as a target. Effect: A melee attack vs Fort, if it hits
the target grants CA to Gwenvyn and allies.
Warden's Grasp: (Reaction) Trigger: Marked enemy within 5sq. makes an
attack not including Gwenvyn as a target. Effect: Slide the target 1sq.,
target is slowed and cannot shift until end of its next turn.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
With the bodies of its allies littering the campsite, the Ettin wails in fury as it rises unsteadily to its feet. It lashes out at Hala and at Gwenvyn, but it seems as if its heart is not in its strikes, as if it is already resigned to its fate. When neither blow connects, it turns to flee...

Attack: 1d20+11 12 -- a miss.
Attack: 1d20+13 17 -- and a miss.

Lubash, Koal, Gwenvyn, and Hala all get Opportunity Attacks against it as it flees.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 17, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenvyn is caught by surprise by this show of cowardice, and thus her blow is too slow in coming.

Opportunity Attack vs AC: 1d20+12+2 17 1d10r1+9+4 15

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hala swings around for a kick, but this kind of strike outside her normal style has never been her forte, and it misses.

I'm not even gonna bother linking this.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Koal Smith

As the Berserker screams his death knell, Koal sends his metal to form an amplifying cone to its lips, emboldening Koal's allies, and disheartening the sole remaining enemy, who tries to retreat, but not before Koal brings his Morningstar down on it's legs. "This is almost over, let's not let it escape now! Stay and test your mettle against my metal!"

Immediate Reaction: Berserker 2 dying triggers my Death Surge power. Death Surge vs Fortitude: 1d20+10 28 Ettin (Hit) 1d8+5 7 Psychic :psyduck: damage, and Koal/Hala/Gwenvyn/Lubash/Imruel gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls UEOMNT, and gain 5 THP.

Opportunity Attack: Sonnlinor's Hammer against the fleeing Ettin. Sonnlinor's Hammer vs AC: 1d20+12 31 (Hit) 1d10+5 15 damage.
pre:
Koal Smith   						 
HP: 44/44 (THP: 5)         AC:   22    Passive Insight: 24
Surges: 9/9 (V: 11)       Fort:  19   Passive Perception: 24
Initiative: +7   	  Ref:  15    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5     	          Will: 21    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Dwarven

At Will: Hand of Radiance, Sonnlinor's Hammer			
Encounter		Daily
[X] Thunder of Judgment	[ ] Moment of Glory
[X] Sudden Slag		[ ] Silent Malediction
[X] Death Surge		Item Daily             
[ ] Divine Call		[ ] Onatar's Forge Holy Symbol
[ ] Heroic Effort	[ ] Casque of Tactics
[X] Favor of the Gods
[X] Healing Word
[X] Battle Awareness
[ ] Second Wind

Conditionals/Resists:
Manifestation of Preservation: When you use a Divine Enc/Daily power, Slide an ally within Range 10 one square.
World Serpent's Grasp: Knocks Prone hit Slowed or Immobilized targets.
Superior Will: When Dazed/Stun, makes Saving Throw at the beginning of turn, even if the effect is not Save Ends.
Cloak of Distortion: Gain +1 to all defenses against ranged attacks from more than 5 squares away.
Chirurgeon's Tools: +2 to Saving Throws against Disease.
Investigation Gear: +2 to Perception checks to find something specific.
Surveyor's Gear: +2 to Perception checks to find hidden doors and secret rooms.

Interrupts:
Death Surge	Trigger: When a creature within 3 squares of me drops to 0 HP, use Death Surge as an Immediate Reaction.
		Targets: When any combination of 5 enemies and allies will be affected.

Battle Awareness	Trigger: When adjacent enemy shifts or makes an attack not on Koal, use Sonnlinor's Hammer on enemy as an Immediate Interrupt.
			Targets: Non-minions.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 17, 2016

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Elspeth fired at the fleeing giant, but her arrows bounced off its thick skin.

pre:

HP: 44/44 (THP: )         AC:   20    Passive Insight: 16
Surges: 7/7 (V: 11)       For:  16    Passive Perception: 23
Initiative: +9   	  Ref:  19    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7     	          Will: 18    Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will			      Encounter			             Daily
Twin Strike                   [ ] Bloodied Determination             [ ] Sure Shot
Nimble Strike                 [X] Elven Accuracy                     [ ] Begin The Hunt
Hunter's Quarry               [X] Two Fanged Strike                  [ ] Spitting Cobra Stance
                              [X] Disruptive Strike
                              [ ] Second Wind

Item Powers
[X] Greatbow of Speed (Encounter)
[ ] Bracers of Archery (Daily)

Conditionals/Resists:
Bloodsworn Level 5: +2 to attack rolls  until end of next turn on use of second wind
Distortion Cloak: Gain +1 to all defences against ranged attacks from more than 5 squares away
Predator's Hide: Trigger: hit target under Elspeth's quarry. Effect: +1 to all defences against attacks from quarry until end of Elspeth's next turn. 
World Serpent's Grasp: May send a slowed enemy  prone on a hit.
Distant Advantage: Gain combat advantage for ranged or area attacks on enemies flanked by allies
Bow Expertise: +1 Damage on damage to attacks made against a single creature not adjacent to any of its allies.
Prime Shot: +1 to attacks on creatures that no allies are closer to.
Hunter Fighting Style: +4 AC against opportunity  attacks provoked  by making a ranged attack
Group Awareness: Non-elf allies within 5 squares get a +1 racial bonus to perception

Interrupts:
Disruptive strike: Trigger: When Elspeth or an ally is attacked by a creature: on hit -7 (3+WIS) penalty to the triggering attack roll.
          Targets: Brutes, creatures with ongoing damage attacks, or ones who employ crowd control effects like stuns or dazes. 

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 17, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenvyn chases the ettin down and delivers a final blow, toppling the huge beast.

She watches it for a moment to be sure, then puts down the heavy hammer and stretches, twisting her back and her neck and swinging her arms to work any kinks out.

"Well! That was an invigorating diversion! Now, who are all you people wandering around in the woods?"

Weight of Earth vs AC: 1d20+12+2+2 28 1d10+9+4 17

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

"Fear's what's keeping me here..." Princess? Your majesty? Ghost?"... ma'am."

The conflict seemingly over, Elspeth tied a leather strap to both ends of her bow and slung it over her back.

"Diversion, huh?" She pulled a small flask from her belt and unscrewed the cap. "We were supposed to catch up with a caravan, ended up following a trail of corpses here."

She took a swig. Elspeth reeled back as though she had shouldered a blow from the Ettin. The hell did you put in this Grenna? she thought, as her mouth burned. She shook her head and put the flask back in its place. Her hands were still.

"Friends of yours?" Dead eyes locked with Gwenvyn's for a moment while Elspeth turned over an orc with the heel of her boot.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 17, 2016

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

As the ettin falls, Imruel lowers her staff and straightens her robes. "Good. A wounded beast can be unpredictable. That one's rampage has come to an end, thanks to...us, I suppose."

Surveying her allies and compatriots-in-arms, Imruel finds the group no less motley than they seemed at first glance. She still hardly knew where Gwenvyn stood, let alone the new arrivals. Unpredictable additions, all. Hoping their common ground extends further than the mere slaughter of an orcish warband, she decides to lay her cards on the table.

"But for styles shouted in the heat of battle, we have not yet formally introduced ourselves. Save for you, my self-sacrificing chevalier." Imruel gives Lubash a sly smile. "I am called Imruel, a wandering wizard most recently in the service of Droaam. With me are two Droaamite nationals whose names and elegant titles ring still through your ears, I'm sure. We came on a call of diplomacy. Not with these erstwhile unfortunates, but a hand was profferred even so. Regrettably rejected, though now it matters little. And what of you? Though I owe benediction to your blades and incantations, I've not yet had the pleasure of your acquaintence."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

"Does it, now? Beware then. Many things can smell fear, and some of those things even feast on it." She beckons, and the giant snake - no longer blazing with cold fire - returns to her without delay. Gràinne spares it a gentle smile, before it practically melts into the shadows around them. The Fey turns to survey the slaughter, and more importantly, the victorious ones. "These? Oh, hardly," she says with a chuckle at Elspeth's suggestion, "I serve neither the Dark Six nor the Silver Flame, nor any other of your gods. My liege is the Winter King, and my home is Thelanis. I do His bidding, and no other."

She walks around Elspeth to where the goliath and the gnoll had laid waste to the mages. "My being here to aid you is strictly a matter of chance, although I suppose our goals align, no matter who we serve." Her eye falls on the orcish corpses. "Now, introductions aside, the matter of these orcs must be dealt with. Their kin is familiar enough with violence, as I'm sure you know, but not usually without cause. Let us see what we can find." She rifles through the mages' possessions, trying to perhaps find written orders or the like.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hala relaxes closing her eyes and letting out a long breath. The fire around her dissipates as the ettin falls dead, and she sheathes her blade with a calm, steady hand. Then she smiles brightly, putting the scabbard at her belt and drawing a bone-handled knife.

"Well, not serving the Dark Six is regrettable, but the Silver Flame's just good sense. The Six would improve your life if you'd let them, though. They're already a part of it...ah well." She industriously turns to the corpses, murmuring a prayer over the knife. Praying for their souls...in a sense.

She then plunges the knife into each body in turn, carving out the innards. With one delicate finger she traces the Keeper's sign in blood on each of their foreheads, then snatches up a gobbet of the meat and devours it - raw, warm and bloody, in the way of gnoll ritual.

She turns, then.

"Would any of you like some? You earned this as well, if you want to take of their strength before it is passed on into darkness. And yes, please do introduce yourselves. Droaam extends the hand of friendship and common cause, even with the cold fey of winter."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Lubash takes a swing at the Ettin as he tries to flee, but misses and lets out a grunt as someone else strikes the creature and takes it down. He sheathes his blade afterwards, still bloody and beaten. "I am
Lubash Velderan Tharashk." he declares. "I am a Paladin of the Silver Flame. With rumors of darkness in the Eldeen Reaches, we." he gestures to his two companions. "Are headed there to shore up the front. We were supposed to be with the wagon that these indivudals raided, but inclement weather slowed us down and resulted in this unfortunate series of actions." he says as the others go about their business.

"I hold no quarrel with Droam or it's diplomats so long as we attempt the same goals; if the creatures in the Eldeen Reaches are dangerous, then petty squabbling between others is unneeded." he decides to make his statements clear before an argument starts. "But no thank you." he states when offered the raw meat.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 17, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hala's tail rises as 'Tharashk' happens...and then drops again at 'Silver Flame.' Her face does not portray this sudden rise and fall of spirits, though, thanks to her diplomatic skills.

"Well, as long as you keep your crusading to yourself, I'm sure we can get along. Just be careful who you tell about that in these parts."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

"I am not good at the small thinking; I am bad at passing judgement on individuals who are in shades of grey, and often have issues discerning evidence correctly." He states. "I focus my efforts on things unquestionably evil and that are bad for the land as a whole. I do not intend to crusade on you or any others so long as you are working for the good of the Land, and neither will I attempt to proselytize to you so long as you do the same." he gives a short nod. "I believe that in that way we will be able to work together easily."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"You are all so dour!" Gwenvyn interjects. "Such weights you all carry on your shoulders. Perhaps around the campfire tonight you can hold a contest, to see who has the darkest and most mysterious past." She slings her shield and hammer across her back as she speaks, then puts her hands on her hips to look down on the newcomers.

"As for introductions, I am Gwenvyn, called the Thunderbolt, the She-Wolf of Ridu, and I am not a Droaamite. If one of their wine-merchants were here to hear me called so, I think he would faint from terror! No, I am from north of here, from the mountains, though I have traveled to nearly every corner of Khorvaire, and through some of the worst parts of Xen'drik, and into the Frostfell, which is all worst parts."

That done, she takes a moment to search the ettin's corpse for anything worthwhile, then moves on to the next nearest body to do the same, before picking up the dead orc and piling it on top of the ettin. "Best we burn these before we go. After we loot them, of course."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hala laughs.

"Nothing mysterious here, Mountain!" She returns to gulping down flesh and ritual corpse desecration in honor of the dark lord of the dead. "And I keep telling you, you'd be the finest champion of the Fury there's ever been if you'd just get her priests to sign off on your wine budget. Imruel, you want to keep any of the bodies? I know you like your necromancy." She kicks one of the orcs. "Not that these idiots are anything special, really. Caravan raiding and refusal to negotiate? I can't imagine what they were thinking."

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

"Well, that's a load off," Elspeth folded her arms. Her gaze shifted to look over her new allies. "Name's Elspeth. Nobody from nowhere."

"Hey!" She called out to the gnoll, "Make sure none of the folks you're eatin' or resurrectin' have anything Silver Flame near 'em. Won't hear the end of it if I have to drag you back to Niern and explain where knight number eighteen ended up. Other'n that: if none of y'all try to kill me or those two fellers over there," Elspeth nodded at Lubash and Koal, "we'll get along just fine."

"Eyes wide, ears open. That little dance of ours is sure to have stirred something up."

Group awareness: +1 to perception if you aren't an elf.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 18, 2016

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Koal Smith

After checking on Lubash to gauge his injuries, Koal introduces himself to the rest of the assembled group. "I'm Koal, just called Koal and nothing else, here to do some good and assist those doing the same. Ain't much more to it than that." He then proceeds to roam the battlefield, checking the bodies of the dead for anything of value, while holding his tools out like dowsing rods, as the metal he slung around earlier flows back into its source. Surprisingly, the tools seem unchanged in size and shape, even after voraciously consuming the slung slag. Satisfied that he's retrieved all the remnants, he turns back to the group and says, "Alright, that's done with, gather round, the rest of ya, let me check your flesh for wounds and your equipment for damage. Gonna be difficult enough tracking down where these orcs are based out of without having to worry about such things once we leave this place. "

Perception: 1d20+15 35

pre:
Koal Smith   						 
HP: 44/44 (THP: )	AC:   22		Passive Insight: 24
Surges: 9/9 (V: 11)	Fort: 19		Passive Perception: 24
Initiative: +7		Ref:  15		Action Points: 1
Speed: 5		Will: 21		Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Dwarven

At Will: Hand of Radiance, Sonnlinor's Hammer			
Encounter			Daily
[ ] JudgThunder	[ ] Gods Favor	[ ] Moment of Glory
[ ] Sudden Slag	[ ] Heal Word	[ ] Silent Malediction
[ ] Death Surge	[ ] BattleAware	Item Daily             
[ ] Divine Call	[ ] Second Wind	[ ] Onatar's Forge Holy Symbol
[ ] Hero Effort			[ ] Casque of Tactics

Conditionals/Resists:
Manifestation of Preservation: When you use a Divine Enc/Daily power, Slide an ally within Range 10 one square.
World Serpent's Grasp: Knocks Prone hit Slowed or Immobilized targets.
Superior Will: When Dazed/Stunned, make Saving Throw at the beginning of turn, even if the effect is not Save Ends.
Cloak of Distortion: Gain +1 to all defenses against ranged attacks from more than 5 squares away.
Chirurgeon's Tools: +2 to Saving Throws against Disease.
Investigation Gear/Surveyor's Gear: +2 to Perception checks to find something specific/hidden doors and secret rooms.

Interrupts:
Death Surge	Trigger: When a creature within 3 squares of me drops to 0 HP, use Death Surge as an Immediate Reaction.
		Targets: When any combination of 5 enemies and allies will be affected.

Battle Awareness	Trigger: When adjacent enemy shifts or makes an attack not on Koal, use Sonnlinor's Hammer on enemy as an Immediate Interrupt.
			Targets: Non-minions.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
As Elspeth watches the treeline warily for signs of additional enemis, Gràinne examines the bodies of the one-eyed orc and the white-robed half orc, along with their nearby possessions. The orc is covered with a variety of dark-colored tattoos and a whole host of ritualistic scars. Around its neck is a rawhide collar fastened to a bright white stone with red markings that appear to be a bloodshot eye. The body of the other is relatively pristine, though its dirty (formerly white) robe is covered in iconography of its own — primarily sigils connected to death such as skulls, barren trees, and the like. Their other possessions consist of reeking furs and their few weapons, with not a single bit of writing to be found anywhere. Gwenvyn finds similar scarring and tattoos on the ettin and the other orcs; these have no possessions whatsoever apart from their (actually, fairly decent quality) weapons and armor and piles of moldering furs used for warmth.

As Koal examines the campsite carefully, he notices the glint of metal from within the roaring bonfire. Grabbing a long stick, he drags several mostly-consumed saddlebags out of the flames. Once they have ceased smoldering, all can see the shapes of three dancing flames embossed onto what little remains of the leather. Within are two silver bracelets (likewise marked with silver flames) and a coif of chainmail, made not of steel but a dull grey metal with faint purple mottling. Hala recognizes that it is fashioned from byeshk. None of the items seem to be at all unduly affected by their time within the fire.

Arcana is a good skill to use if you're curious about the items, while Religion might tell you more about the symbols decorating the orcs' bodies and clothing.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Gràinne pauses for a moment after she finds nothing of use, discarding the trinkets she finds without a second thought. She walks over to the other group, then, joining the discussion. "I am Gràinne, of the Winter Court. Let that suffice for introductory pleasantries." The various revelations of orc-offal consumption and necromancy seem not to bother her, though she does not partake either. "The Dark Six offer me nothing of value, Droaamite. I am beholden to one Lord only. But let us discuss the matter at hand." She gestures at Lubash. "You, of the Silver Flame. I found your dead compatriots a ways back from here. Has the Flame started another crusade as a response to the catastrophes in this world? If so, they are still as unprepared and overzealous as ever."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"That's just a misunderstanding of what gods are, what they do. I can see the Shadow in you, and the Mockery. But, ah, not worth arguing with you over if you don't want to listen."

Hala licks her chops, shaking herself.

"You're a healer? Excellent. I got knocked around some." She shrugs off some of her robes to reveal the bruises, cuts and matted fur beneath. As she does, she looks over at gathered treasures.

"...oh my. A byeshk hood? You don't see that often. It's usually used for weapons - and even then, not often. We can't really work it these days. That'd have to be from...oh, a long time ago. It's meant for fighting Daelkyr."

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Koal Smith

Healing Word on Hala: 11+1d6 16

Religion: 1d20+7 11

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

"Ah, is that the case?" he asks Gràinne. "Indeed, there is talk of another Crusade occuring. And yes, often they find themselves killing things that truly don't deserve it. I find myself bothered; their devotion seems to be not as strong as mine, but their actions quite the opposite. Suffice to say if they were unprepared, they died trying to do what was right. I mourn for them." He says resolutely. "But too many may come with delusions of grandeur and end up collapsing as empty, and I can not save all of them. I will simply fight three times as hard for each of my brothers that dies in taking down whatever monstrosity threatens the land." he says strongly. "If you have any of their effects, I shall take them."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

The Fey stares at Lubash with an unimpressed expression. "I have neither time nor inclination to deal with dead mortals," she says matter-of-factly, "but if you wish to mourn them, the troop fell but a short distance away, in that direction. In any case, I doubt they died trying to fight what truly threatens these lands. The warhorses on the spit here most likely belong to your fallen brothers-in-arms, and if they were unprepared enough to fall to this rabble, they were never going to deliver more than righteous bluster to these lands." She turns to the fire, watching the flames burn as she falls away in thought. Nothing in particular seemed to have set these orcs off, save for their race's natural inclination to violence. This was clean-up, nothing more. The Winter Court had received word of far more disturbing sights in the woods - but where to find those creatures?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

"I don't ever fault enthusiasm, even if it is misdirected. Better to die in combat doing what is righteous then live a peaceful life doing nothing." he counters. He pauses to think to himself for a time that if they are traveling together, he has acquired quite the interesting set of companions, between this Fae and the others. But he shrugs a bit and nods. "Thank you for this information."

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Wait, that direction? Elspeth ran their trek to the clearing back through her head. Oh.

"Huh, I guess you beat us to 'em ma'am. Don't worry, Lubash, you and Koal already took care of 'em. We came up the same way. Not sure how I didn't spot her on our way here though..." Elspeth shrugged.

"The forest guides our path," She muttered in elven.

"Well, looks like we're done here. Where to next?"

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 20, 2016

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

"Ah, those knights. Understood. If there was a second set it would have indeed been worrying and would have made the eventual report I have to make all the harsher." He says. "I still intend to proceed to the forward camp with what supplies we can carry. Others may join us if they wish, I will vouch for you if any so much as raise a finger against you, but it is possible you have your own camps that you are heading towards?" he nods. "For now, I see no reason not to travel together so long as we are at least heading the same way."

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Koal can discern nothing about the symbolism of the orcs' decorations, apart from the obvious -- an obsession with eyes, blood, and death. But if the symbols have religious significance, they are representative of no faith he is familiar with.

Since Lubash and his companions were expecting to travel with the caravan, they were unfortunately not given the precise location of the forward camp. But based on the conversations he had with the authorities in Niern, he knows the area in which they were supposed to be operating, and he can certainly lead his companions in the right direction.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'll take the plan to be "track down the larger group of Silver Flame crusaders already operating in the Towering Wood". But given that it is currently after sunset, further travel should probably wait until tomorrow/after an extended rest. In the meantime, is anybody doing anything with the trinkets you've found?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hala considers.

"A band of Silver Flame can't be allowed to run around loose. Most of your compatriots lack your discretion, and will end up causing far more problems around here than they solve. These orcs were already a problem, of course - orcs are usually much more open to negotiations and all. If you want to get anywhere with the locals besides killing them, you'll need my services. Fortunately for you, I've been commissioned by Sora Katra herself to discover what has been plaguing these woods of late. I assume your liege has bid you do likewise, ah...Grainne, was it?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

"I am called Gràinne, but aye." She does not turn from the fire, even as she corrects the gnoll - the difference in pronunciation is subtle, but with the intensity in her voice one assumes it to be important. "Although the orcs and creatures that roam these woods are an obstacle, not a goal, for me. Obstacles that I am particularly suited to sway from my path, should it be required." The fey pauses for a moment, before turning around. Her eyes land on each of the motley party in turn. "If we move for the Flame, I'll admit that they may have more information on the happenings in the forest. Information I require, should I wish to be successful in my task. Then in the name of the Winter's Court, I swear upon you no hostility as long as you do not move against me, and I swear to you that any of my King's servants, or those who recognize His power, will offer you the gift hospitality as they would to me." A brief silence falls again, before her voice takes a graver turn. "I trust none of you are foolish enough to rebuke such a gift, even when those who would offer it are not typically seen in the company of mortals."

Her pale face curves into a gentle smile, though her eyes remain as cold as the woods around them. "Take your rest. Nightfall shan't do anything but hinder our progress, if we are to travel together. You mortals do tend to do worse in darkness and cold." Mirth, then, finally shows in her eyes, as they linger on Imruel. "Though perhaps not all of you." She walks off some distance from the fire, making room for the others, as she settles down, seemingly unbothered by the snow on the ground as she sits, and falls silent.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Where do you all learn to talk like this?," Gwenvyn asks idly from where she's sitting by the fire, trying to get a good char on a leg of... something, anyways, and not having much success. "Half of the adventurers I meet, all talk like there is a skald standing behind them somewhere, taking down their words for some epic their grand-daughter's grand-daughters will be rolling their eyes at in some hall ages from now. Did I miss some part of my training?"

The goliath frowns at the meat, and turns it. It will probably still be edible when she's done. Probably. "Anyways, I don't sleep much. And I'll go where Hala goes. She seems to have a knack for getting into good fights! If I had known before, I would have made a habit of traveling with ambassadors. So if Hala is going with you, then I will be going also. No need to fight - unless you want to." She grins, particularly at Lubash.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"Oh, in Znir we have a school. I studied languages. Common grammar, diction and all that. Very important for a diplomat. We had some high-ranking Tharashk in as teachers for Common." Which may explain why Hala's accent is that of a noble. "But, you know, I'm a diplomat by training, rather than an adventurer, Mountain. It's different for us."

She pauses, grinning.

"Of course, you know what they say - a good fight is diplomacy by other means. You can't be an ambassador without knowing your way around a battlefield."

She doesn't seem cold, but then again, she is a master of fire, is wearing several layers of fancy outfit and has a fine pelt of fur.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

"In my experience, it's the bards prettyin' things up afterwards. Just how many adventurers you met anyway?" Elspeth pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed. "Anyway, since we're not going any further today: who's takin' first watch? I only need a few hours of sleep myself so I can do the graveyard shift."

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
[Copied from Discord, based on Imruel's Arcana, identifying magic items from orcs: 1d20+13 27:]

The aura given off by the coif (along with it being a head slot item made of an aberration-unfriendly metal) seems designed to protect against mind-altering effects of the Daelkyr.
The silver flame designs and other runes on the bracelets indicate they probably have something to do with fighting lycanthropes.
(Those were probably obvious to anybody independent of the roll, but it's good to have expert confirmation anyway.)

The Eye necklace you actually saw in action: It's an Evil Eye fetish (+2 F/R/W, 2 necrotic damage to enemies that hit you when they have CA against you).
You also saw the cloak in action, though you might not have known at the time it was the cloak. Since I couldn't find an existing item that did exactly what I want (apart from the Gravespawn potion, sort of), I'm calling it a "Gravespawn Shroud": Neck Slot item, +1 F/R/W, grants resist 5 necrotic.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"Mm. If we are to repose here, I can finish gathering reagents shortly. Come. I can tell you the purpose of those bracelets you keep fiddling with, Lubash. A few other items of significance besides."

Wol fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 21, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
In addition to sorting out tonight's watch duties (and divvying up loot, if you care to do so), give me tomorrow's marching order on the new Roll20 map (presume you're moving from bottom to top; keep yourselves more or less centered).

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
With the various factions having made (at least temporary) peace and common cause, the night passes uneventfully. The creatures of the Wood stay away from the fire (to say nothing of the pervasive scent of blood and death), and the group rises in the morning to discover a fresh snowfall covering the ground. And so they begin their trek toward where Lubash believes his fellow crusaders to be, with Elspeth looking for any sign of their prior passing.

Skill Challenge:
The goal is straightforward enough: to find the forward camp for the Silver Flame crusaders…somewhere in the Towering Wood.
Level: 5 (DCs: Easy = 18, Moderate = 22, Hard = 26)
Complexity: 3 (requires 8 successes before 4 failures)
Failures may also lead to interruptions in the skill challenge (maybe monsters ambush you or something else untoward happens).
Primary Skills:
Athletics (Pick your DC — Easy = 1 success, Moderate = 2 successes, Hard = 3 successes)
Represents pushing the pace of your travel faster to cut down on the total time you are exposed to the elements (and hostile creatures) in the Wood. A failed check means you’ve pushed too hard and become injured or exhausted or missed important clues along your route.

Endurance (Moderate)
Represents resisting the debilitating effects of wandering in the wilderness and dealing with exposure to the elements. At least one character must make a successful Endurance check to complete the skill challenge; a failed check indicates that all members of the party lose one healing surge (applicable the next time surges become relevant during your travel), in addition to counting as a failure for the challenge.

History or Religion (Easy for Lubash, Moderate for everyone else)
Represents information gathered from prior study of the Silver Flame and the previous Purge. Knowing where the primary conflicts were last time around could provide a good starting point for your current search.

Nature (Moderate)
Represents finding traces of the prior passage of the Silver Flame crusaders. At least one character must make a successful Nature check to complete the skill challenge.

Perception (Moderate)
Represents detecting and avoiding the omnipresent hazards that the Towering Wood presents to interlopers.

Other Skills (Hard or Moderate)
If you can come up with a convincing reason why some other skill is applicable, you can roll it. If you can come up with a really creative application of another skill, the DC will be Moderate instead of Hard.

Since everyone is relying on Lubash initially, Stallion Cabana gets to make the first skill check and then pick who goes next; after making their own check, that person gets to choose who follows them, and so on (everyone needs to make one check before anyone gets a second).

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Once night has passed and Lubash has had his wounds tended, he is, when everyone is ready, back to the trail to find the fellow crusaders. As they walk, he gives information that he knows of from the purge of the past. "You see, this Clearing here." he says as they pass a clearing made of a circle of tree stumps. "Was done by Knight Fredrick during the last Purge; facing a dozen Lycanthropes, he put his soul into his blade and swung with such force as to cleave all these trees in a single tree." he says. His grasp of history seems...decent enough. "I assume the camp would be made a little forward from this; there was a man-made defensive hill we created during a particularly brutal offensive." he explains. He leads on for a bit before he becomes a little more unsure.

Religion: 1d20+7 20. I suppose I will pass to Gràinne

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

When Lubash falters in his historical guidelines, Gràinne closes her eyes. She stands still, frozen like a portrait, not even seeming to breathe for a long moment, as she taps into the energy of the Wood. Spirits of tree and snow and air gather at her calling, although as she communes, they seem to be unable to reach a consensus - such is the nature of the ethereal. "I can't find the way from here just yet," she says breathily as she opens her eyes again. "The spirits of the land are...too plentiful to find a single answer."

Nature using Speak With Spirits for a bonus at 1d20+19=21. Elspeth, your go.

• Locked thread