Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the winner is:
This poll is closed.
Magnus +2 or More 11 32.35%
Magnus +1 8 23.53%
Magnus in Tie-breaks 4 11.76%
Karjakin in Tie-breaks 0 0%
Karjakin +1 1 2.94%
Nuclear War 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Guess what time it is?

This championship match represents a bit of a benchmark, as it is the first where both competitors are from the next generation of superstars. While this is Magnus’ third title match, the previous two were against one of the last of the old guard in Vishy Anand. Sergei Karjakin, while never seen in quite the same light as Magnus, is himself a graduated prodigy who still holds the record for the youngest age to achieve the grandmaster title.

As for the prospects of this match, I expect Magnus to win comfortably, and not just by way of being the better player. The last two matches presented at least a contrast in styles, with Anand’s depth of knowledge and offensive creativity at least threatening Carlsen at times in the second match. Karjakin, meanwhile, is known for his solid defensive chess. This may just be personal bias, but I feel like this is a worse prospect against Magnus’ technique and patience. Karjakin is probably going to be holding on for dear life a lot, and that will put a great strain on his physical fitness over a 12 game match.

I don’t know if there will be a political sidepoint to this, although there’s an article or two at least mentioning the possibility. Karjakin is a bit of a notorious Putinite, above and beyond the petty nationalism we expect from national athletes. It would be pretty cool if Carlsen crushed him while wearing a bright, designer rainbow shirt, I guess.

Schedule:

Carlsen has white in 1/3/5/8/10/12
Karjakin has white in 2/4/6/7/9/11

1: Nov 11 1/2-1/2
2: Nov 12 1/2-1/2
3: Nov 14 1/2-1/2 <--- tight game
4: Nov 15 1/2-1/2 <--- another near win for Carlsen
5: Nov 17 1/2-1/2 <--- Karjakin actually gets an attack but does nothing with it
6: Nov 18 1/2-1/2
7: Nov 20 1/2-1/2
8: Nov 21 0-1 <--- Karjakin... wins? Wild, uneven game.
9: Nov 23 1/2-1/2 <--- Magnus misses a theory move and gets into trouble.
10: Nov 24 1-0 <--- Magnus evens the score in the Berlin
11: Nov 26 1/2-1/2
12: Nov 28 farts

TIEBREAKS Nov 30
25 + 10
R1 1/2-1/2
R2 1/2-1/2 Carlsen severely misplays a winning position.
R3 0-1 Karjakin falters in time pressure after active middlegame play from Magnus.
R4 1-0 http://imgur.com/a/G5xBW

Carlsen wins 3-1

All games start at 2PM EST (7PM GST) and take place in New York City. This means that the President of FIDE, notorious despot and lunatic Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, is banned from attending.

Broadcasting:
Agon got slapped down in court so you don’t have to shell out $15 to watch. I’d recommend chess24 or ICC to follow. I think Agon has Judit Polgar (aka the good Polgar) as its lead broadcaster, while chess24 has Peter Svidler. ICC is probably going with its usual gang of Yasser, Smerdon, and so on.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm probably going to pay the $15 just to support Chess, even knowing a portion of that will be going to Kirsan's pockets. I expect Magnus to win easily, but it should be interesting.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Excited for this!

I found Ian Rogers' breakdown of viewing options to be useful, although I can't vouch for the cheesecake.

Only qualm is that I still feel 12 games just isn't enough for a world championship match. Even 16 would be a big improvement in my eyes.

Rooting for Magnus and he's obviously a huge favourite, but Karjakin is a formidable player with nerves of steel. Should be fun.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I completely forgot this was starting today. Can't wait for some sweet Svidler commentary.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Svidler/Gustafsson are definitely :swoon: but Svidler at least is currently playing in the European Club Cup and won't be around until later on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is Jan a chessgoon? :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLHiCS17m0Q

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
As a norwegian, I think this is a good time to start learning russian in preparation for the coming annexation from our great friends in the east. They will be the world champions one way or the other. Spasiba.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

King Pawn posted:

Svidler/Gustafsson are definitely :swoon: but Svidler at least is currently playing in the European Club Cup and won't be around until later on.

Haha, it's the ChessBrah team of Eric Hansen and Robin van Kampen. They're young! They're hip!

And on youtube, at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxBVnjrBDBU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Also my prediction is a reasonably quick draw, with both of the first two games being mostly probing.

Also — Trompovsky! That was not expected.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It sounds like Svidler and Gustaffson won't be commentating until game 3.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I wonder if the Tromp is specifically an attempt to obviate Queen's Indian type positions. I guess we'll see in game 3.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Magnus in 9.

Also, ChessNetwork is doing his standard stream schedule for every WCC game as another free streaming option:

https://www.twitch.tv/chessnetwork

Also I got tickets to go to Game 7. Yay!

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
Trompovsky, tribute to great american leader.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Zteuer posted:

Trompovsky, tribute to great american leader.

It is to mock me for putting a "slay queen" joke in the thread title.

Also Eric and RvK are going on about UFC now.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Just as I thought, the official paid website is a shitshow.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

And we're into an endgame here, R+N against R+B. I don't think that I could win this position, but I believe that Magnus has chances and can make Karjakin sweat.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Is there a general chess thread somewhere on these forums? I dont have search and this thread is a bit advanced for me. I like chess though

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

Is there a general chess thread somewhere on these forums? I dont have search and this thread is a bit advanced for me. I like chess though

We reside in trad games: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490241

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

I've been watching. Just FYI to anyone who hasn't bought a stream ticket yet there are a few promo codes online for 10% off I used BISHOPD3

The iOS app is a mess but I've managed to get it working.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

gret posted:

Just as I thought, the official paid website is a shitshow.

At the beginning I think anyone could move the pieces freely as well as reset the pieces/timer so the pieces on the board on their website were moving around like crazy

lol expert commentary via iOS app:
https://i.imgur.com/XsFxo4N.png

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Magnus really putting the gears to Karjakin, but I wonder how long he can keep on creating pressure.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Magnus really putting the gears to Karjakin, but I wonder how long he can keep on creating pressure.

about 11.5 games :v:

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

These press conferences are great

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

dogmother1776 posted:

These press conferences are great

What's happening?

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
Does Karjakin always stutter like he did in the press conference?

Magnus seemed a lot less annoyed talking to earthlings than in Chennai.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I paid the 15 bucks to watch the Susan Polgar commentary, but I missed the beginning of the game. Is there a way to watch a replay on the site?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Magnus in 9.

Also, ChessNetwork is doing his standard stream schedule for every WCC game as another free streaming option:

https://www.twitch.tv/chessnetwork

Also I got tickets to go to Game 7. Yay!

Yay this guy is and the past iteration of thread is what got me into watching WCC2013 while I was in the midst of a grad school burnout. I won't have as much time to watch this time around unfortunately since I won't be busy trying to write up things.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ruy Lopez today. Looks fairly standard so far.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

some thrilling games

NOT

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Game 2 was the first game to sell out of tickets because it's on a Saturday. It's like no one knew that the first games are the boring ones and the middle games are the ones where things actually happen.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Do they need a rest day every two days?

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

V for Vegas posted:

Carlsen thinks it's unnecessary, according to norwegian media.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I'm relatively new to serious chess. Is Carlsen's biggest strength his ability to manipulate a player's relationship with the computer? I know that Anand at least was basically a robot and he kept putting him in scenarios where the computer would get angry or recommend moves with long term holes right?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

Ever since Kasparov-Karpov I ended with Karpov nearly being hospitalized for fatigue, they've increasingly erred on the side of caution.

straight up brolic posted:

I'm relatively new to serious chess. Is Carlsen's biggest strength his ability to manipulate a player's relationship with the computer? I know that Anand at least was basically a robot and he kept putting him in scenarios where the computer would get angry or recommend moves with long term holes right?

This is not entirely wrong. Basically, Carlsen plays for positions where he can play forever. These will frequently be positions that deviate from what the computer considers optimal, since these days all players will be familiar with computer-optimal opening lines and how to steer those into, if not a safely equal position, at least one they understand. By pushing the game away from familiarity, Carlsen hopes that his general skill will have a greater role in determining the game's result.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
chess24 offline for anyone else? Wonder if they are getting overloaded with traffic, or if the Russians got upset with them transmitting the games and knocked them off the air.

Edit: looks like it is back up now

vyshka fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 14, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

vyshka posted:

chess24 offline for anyone else? Wonder if they are getting overloaded with traffic, or if the Russians got upset with them transmitting the games and knocked them off the air.

The Youtube stream, at least, is up.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Ruy Lopez Berlin gently caress that. I've seen enough of that in 2013/14.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this is amusing

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Just tuned in, can someone explain Re2 -> Re1? I missed the coverage, and it's befuddling me. Did provoking b6 achieve something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

Ruy Lopez Berlin gently caress that. I've seen enough of that in 2013/14.

The best development of 2016 was people playing the Giuco Piano because you can get a closed Ruy Lopez position without having to risk a Berlin.

• Locked thread