Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Beastie posted:

Best bet is to dip into an unused room of the Nintendo Goon Discord. I haven’t checked in for awhile, so I’m not sure if there’s a Diablo room.

There’s both one or two dedicated voice rooms and a role you can join so you can ping/be pinged when people are doing things :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Stan Taylor posted:

The voice app only works with certain games, and I'm pretty sure Diablo is not one of them.

They can't even get that right, lol.

Beastie posted:

Best bet is to dip into an unused room of the Nintendo Goon Discord. I haven’t checked in for awhile, so I’m not sure if there’s a Diablo room.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There’s both one or two dedicated voice rooms and a role you can join so you can ping/be pinged when people are doing things :eng101:

Nice!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

As far as I can tell, the only games that can use the Switch app for voice chat are Nintendo first party games. I know Spla2n and MK8 both use it. Then it gets weirder because Fortnite (and I think Warframe) have built in voice chat.

sfmarine7
Aug 26, 2004
hey, how's it going
Could one of you link the Nintendo goon discord? I couldnt find it in the general switch thread op. Maybe I'm blind?

I set one up for Diablo purposes but it's pretty limited and I don't want to cannibalize from the same group.

sfmarine7 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 31, 2019

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I could have sworn it was in the Switch OP but it may have gotten lost during one of the many times the thread was shut down for getting weird.

Invite link: https://discord.gg/nnH4wXF

There's a quick hoop to jump through where you put a thing in your profile and authenticate as a goon, but once you've done that you can get into other goon discords that use the same bot as well

Once you're in, you can
code:
!join-role nephalem
and/or ping the @nephalem role when you want to grab other people's attention for D3-related shenanigans

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Some lovely website misled me into thinking the Darkening event ran out until tomorrow morning. Instead, I found out while trying to farm up the last cultist page I needed, it actually ended at 7p EST.

I quit D3, put the Switch's clock to manual and set it back to about 2ish, and farmed up that last goddamn page about 5 minutes ago. Teehee.

sfmarine7
Aug 26, 2004
hey, how's it going

Awesome, thank you!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Switch Diablo 3 pulled down a bit of a patch today, but I can't find notes about it anywhere.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

5er posted:

Switch Diablo 3 pulled down a bit of a patch today, but I can't find notes about it anywhere.

I did the same thing. I haven’t played the game enough to tell if something big happened.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
I'm working in a project overseas with only my Switch to play videogames. Bought D3 and was wondering if the game is using the battle.net infrastructure and how is it playing online? Smash has not been a really flowing expierence to be honest.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

If you can't connect to the internet while overseas, it won't be the worst. You'll likely be frozen out of seasonal, as you have to be online to at least start seasonal characters, but you'll be able to play offline just fine.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

El Chingon posted:

I'm working in a project overseas with only my Switch to play videogames. Bought D3 and was wondering if the game is using the battle.net infrastructure and how is it playing online? Smash has not been a really flowing expierence to be honest.

It is not using battle.net (or any, really) infrastructure. If you can connect online in bursts, it only does the “can you play seasonal” check when you get on a character; if you drop connection mid-play the only thing you really lose is “if what you’re doing currently counts for leaderboards”. Putting the device to sleep doesn’t kick you out or anything so you can do as much seasonal as you want even on a spotty sporadic connection.

Multiplayer is hosted on the party leader’s device, so if you’re finding random parties you’ll have a bad time but if you’re hosting everyone else will probably be having the bad time instead.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
After a break I was very pleased to see Uliana's set had received a huge buff and is once again back to exploding everything on screen, my Monk is around GR70+, the only flaw is that if I don't keep my eye on my defensive abilities or use Dashing Strike often then I drop dead instantly.

I have over 200 million armour but it still gets pretty hit and miss.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

5er posted:

If you can't connect to the internet while overseas, it won't be the worst. You'll likely be frozen out of seasonal, as you have to be online to at least start seasonal characters, but you'll be able to play offline just fine.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It is not using battle.net (or any, really) infrastructure. If you can connect online in bursts, it only does the “can you play seasonal” check when you get on a character; if you drop connection mid-play the only thing you really lose is “if what you’re doing currently counts for leaderboards”. Putting the device to sleep doesn’t kick you out or anything so you can do as much seasonal as you want even on a spotty sporadic connection.

Multiplayer is hosted on the party leader’s device, so if you’re finding random parties you’ll have a bad time but if you’re hosting everyone else will probably be having the bad time instead.

I see, so playing offline or over local wireless is the best experience.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

El Chingon posted:

I see, so playing offline or over local wireless is the best experience.

Correct, although I don't know offhand if multi-console multiplayer is smart enough to use the local network or if it routes out through Nintendo Online and back in.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
I posted in the other thread before I saw this one is active again. I'm looking for a seasonal boost on ps4, as I decides to jump late in the season. Psn is doktahooisdis.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

lexxyth posted:

I posted in the other thread before I saw this one is active again. I'm looking for a seasonal boost on ps4, as I decides to jump late in the season. Psn is doktahooisdis.

I could help you out this weekend. DocFuzz on PSN, add me.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Anyone hopping back on to Switch that hasn't tagged me yet, SW-8109-1199-0410 - I spend most of my time with this game on public transit, but I can contribute the occasional nemesis to someone here and there :v:

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

5er posted:

Anyone hopping back on to Switch that hasn't tagged me yet, SW-8109-1199-0410 - I spend most of my time with this game on public transit, but I can contribute the occasional nemesis to someone here and there :v:

Think you could give me a season boost on Switch? I cannot stand the grind to 70 AGAIN after however many years of playing this game across multiple consoles.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bringing this thread back from the dead for a question...

Blizzard is saying that they are still early in development for D4 and have only announced versions for PC, PS4, and Bone. Given that we're only a year away from the next gen, what are the odds that they will have versions ready for the new consoles? I really don't want to buy it for PS4 and then six months later it comes out on the PS5. What does everyone here plan to do? Buy it on day one or wait if it's not available on the new machines?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I plan on not worrying about it until the game and new consoles are out.

sfmarine7
Aug 26, 2004
hey, how's it going
D4 sounds like a late 2021+ release. I doubt it ever comes out for current consoles.

sfmarine7 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 3, 2019

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It may come for current consoles but if the new ones are out, chances are that they will update newgen versions more often. If you have a PC by the time it comes out, play it there and see how they support console versions.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

sfmarine7 posted:

D4 sounds like a late 2021+ release. I doubt it ever comes out for current consoles.

This sounds incredibly generous. I'm not expecting it any earlier than 2023.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

sfmarine7 posted:

They said in the announcement that it was definitely planned for the current gen consoles and PC. They made a point of saying that they had no news about the next gen consoles. Obviously they will make it for them. But I think I'm agreeing with Guillermus. There's too much a risk that the current gen version will be all but abandoned once the next gen versions hit critical mass.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Just finished the season journey (S19) on PS4 and rolled up a Barbarian on the Switch. Anyone needing a powerlevel on the PS4, feel free to hit me up; I'm not quite there on the Switch yet, but I should be in a day or two. For those that haven't been paying close attention, Blizzard is doing new 6-piece sets for all the classes with Monk and Crusader getting theirs first, and seasons 20 and 21 presumably finishing out the roster. This season's buff is pretty fun too (killstreak rewards). i got kind of bored last season even with the new Barbarian-specific item (Mortick's Brace) but this season has been a blast.

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...
I'm assuming no one plays on PS4 or console in general anymore and mostly plays on PC. I only own the base Diablo 3 game on PC without the Reaper of Souls expansion or the Necromancer, plus I kinda enjoyed using the controller to move around and attack. As far as I know they never implemented the controller support for the PC version. Is it worth playing through the seasons on PC with just the base game?

EDIT: Blegh, looks like it would be $35 to get the Reaper of Souls upgrade along with the $14.99 Rise of the Necromancer content just to be able to play on PC.

EDIT 2: Can't even really stand a chance in the Seasons since you don't have Adventure Mode without the Reaper of Souls expansion. Oh well. I guess I'll stick to console for now.

FatalT fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 10, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I have it on PS4.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I have it on both PC and PS4 and even though the inventory management is doable on PS4, it's still a slog and loving awful compared to PC.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I loved this on ps4 but it was the only thing I was playing on my ps4 for a while. I've been playing back on pc for the last few seasons. You dont need the necro pack unless you really want to play a necro.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

poemdexter posted:

I have it on both PC and PS4 and even though the inventory management is doable on PS4, it's still a slog and loving awful compared to PC.

Yeah but playing it with a controller is SO nice.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Fuzz posted:

Yeah but playing it with a controller is SO nice.

It very much is. Playing couch coop was super fun and my girlfriend had a ton of fun from 1 to 70+ exploding everything along side me.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I just picked up D3 for the Switch, figured I would at least try out Necromancer because I never bought that DLC on PC and didn't really play D3 at all on PC after season 7/8 or somewhere around there.

This is my first experience with console Diablo and I love being able to play it with a gamepad/on a handheld. Strange that they never back ported the gamepad control scheme to the PC version; I would totally play PC D3 on my TV from the couch if I had the option. Moving/dodging with the sticks almost makes it feel like a different game.

Sadly, February 2020 does not seem like a great time to be getting into Diablo 3 on the Switch as I can't find a single person in-game to level with. I wonder how many people are even playing this game on the Switch, period, at this point. It is a great port and I am having fun just messing around solo, but I wish I hadn't been so late to the party on this. All of my friends have Switches but I can't talk any of them into playing an 8 year old game with me (especially at $60; seems like Blizzard should really be pricing this at $20 or $30 at this point), most of them got burned by D3 PC in the RMAH days and wrote it off forever.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 10, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Parker Lewis posted:

Sadly, February 2020 does not seem like a great time to be getting into Diablo 3 on the Switch as I can't find a single person in-game to level with. I wonder how many people are even playing this game on the Switch, period, at this point. It is a great port and I am having fun just messing around solo, but I wish I hadn't been so late to the party on this. All of my friends have Switches but I can't talk any of them into playing an 8 year old game with me (especially at $60; seems like Blizzard should really be pricing this at $20 or $30 at this point), most of them got burned by D3 PC in the RMAH days and wrote it off forever.

Right this second very few; that may change once Season 20 starts— usually there’s a spike of seasonal players for just about a week when the new seasons start. That said, for better or worse, switch playing is really solo-esque, primarily thanks to the rough combination of “literally no text chat” and “your entire game is hosted on someone else’s console, and if they disconnect every player gets reset into a new instance on one of the remaining player’s consoles”. The benefit is that as a solo player you can pause and sleep your console at any point; whereas PC you’re locked into finishing your bounties all in one go because you lose your session if you afk or disconnect.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As someone who's pretty much only played this game on console (PS3, PS4, Switch), I've resigned myself into thinking of Diablo 3 as a solo game and it doesn't really affect me negatively except in the very start of the game when I have to level a character to 70.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah very early season play is usually “did you gamble well off of the shards from the weekly rift” for me, and since I usually do wizard even that’s like a belt maybe

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I'm still playing on both Switch and PS4; I've completed S19 on PS4 and have a couple more things to do on the Switch to finish out the season (one more conquest, level a couple of gems). If anyone wants a powerlevel and to play seasonal, I am happy to assist. Voice chat is pretty easy over Discord - there's a Nintengoons server we can use, or I've got one I run for friends and we could use that. Online co-op on the Switch really isn't too bad (if I'm hosting I'll dock and use wired ethernet for better stability), and it's straight-up awesome on the PS4 (again, if I'm host, I'm wired so no WiFi issues).

I'll be playing S20 on both consoles too because I'm dumb and can't quit this dumb game.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Just got this for PS4 and looking for some goons!

PSN: Waroduce

toss me a friend request!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
S20 ending soon?
This was the first season since I think 2 or 3 I actually got the reward set. Real fun to play on switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Waroduce posted:

Just got this for PS4 and looking for some goons!

PSN: Waroduce

toss me a friend request!

Waro, I’m going to kick your rear end