Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had this on Gamecube when I was younger and it was probably my favorite goddamn game on the system. It took me ages to figure out the final level, though, because I was a dumb kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GoneRampant posted:

I thought the Quantum of Solace tie in was a good, if unexceptional shooter made by Treyarch. Blood Stone's OK too, but again, it's mostly good but not great. 007 Legends was horseshit, though.

I do have to wonder how a modern Bond game would be done, given how the last few have followed the Goldeneye formula and tanked. I gave this some thought a while back and concluded that something like the recent Deus Ex games (That is to say, quasi open world game with stealth/action moments and tense negotiations) with the augs replaced with gadgets might be the way to go.

EDIT: I am so glad that "My friend is dead! CIRCLE STRAFE!" made it into the highlights reel.

I don't think "follow the GoldenEye formula" is a bad idea as long as you can actually make a good game. GoldenEye is fun even today, despite looking horribly outdated and being made for an antiquated and awkward controller, because it was designed very well to the point where the gameplay still holds up. The bigger problems the recent Bond games have had have been trying to copy modern shooters like Call of Duty and suffering from repetitive gameplay and bugs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sef! posted:

Both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64 put a high emphasis on exploration and experimentation, which is something that's sorely missing in today's shooters. Hell, it was one of my biggest gripes with Max Payne 3; the first two games are linear but with open enough environments to screw around with in. MP3 was basically one big corridor with a cutscene every ten seconds. I'd love to see shooters return to less rigid structures in favor of screwing around. That's why those Rare games are still repayable even today.

At the same time, Max Payne 3 ends up being fun as hell because they put a ton of effort into the gunplay to make it feel fresh despite still having all the core mechanics of its predecessors. 007 Legends could have had the open environments of GoldenEye and Perfect Dark and still would have probably failed due to poor gameplay design.

Speaking of crappy old Bond games, anyone remember Rogue Agent?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If I remember correctly, a lot of the levels keep up the trend with multiple pathways. There's a stealth level later in the next video that actually doesn't suck!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, putting money down on Kiko being a double agent that'll try to backstab us in the near future.

She was in the opening credits doing martial arts in a revealing black leather outfit. That ain't no good guy getup.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dander My DOSDruid posted:

I played this game so many times when I was young, it is one of those First person shooters that has really short levels that almost feel too short and you have to play them over and over again to get enough time to try out different tactics and weapons in that little slice of gameplay.

I never knew they used the NFS code for the driving levels, I think the Vanquish feels a lot different that any of the cars in NFS games of that error, and the low gravity jumps are new aren't they?

The jumps feel almost scripted? Like physics temporarily turns off so the game can guide your car along the right parabolic path.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, some weapon comments:

* The Raptor Magnum .357 is obviously a Desert Eagle in .357 Magnum, but later you actually get the same gun in its .50 AE version. I don't know of any other game that has multiple Desert Eagle variants in different calibers.

* The shotgun is based on the Franchi SPAS-12, which can be switched from semi-auto to pump-action in real life. It's supposed to be so you can fire the gun in semi-auto normally and switch to pumping when you're firing rounds that aren't powerful enough to operate the action (like low-velocity beanbag rounds) or if the gun is so dirty that it's not functioning properly. I think they included that function in the game just because they were at a loss as to what the alternate fire could be.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aces High posted:

using licensed names costs money, hence why even in Battlefield Beretta firearms have slightly different names. That and at this point I think it's more just keeping up with the tradition started with Goldeneye. However I believe with the Daniel Craig games Walther was a sponsor so all Walther firearms use their proper names.

Battlefield 1 is a funny case because they can't use certain licenses like Beretta and Mauser freely because the companies that made the weapons 100 years ago still exist.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thefluffy posted:

The dart gun is an actual underwater pistol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_P11 with the main differences being the that the 007 one shoots sleeping darts whereas the real thing shoots underwater killing bullets and can't be reloaded by the shooter! :eng101:

You can reload the gun by swapping barrel clusters just like in the game. You just have to send the barrels back to the factory to load them with darts, because the barrels are sealed with the darts inside to make the gun waterproof.

Also I'm calling bullshit on Kiko appearing in that final cutscene. You clearly see the outside while Bond is crawling through the vent and it's completely empty.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Might have been a last minute throwaway attempt at showcasing the rifle's alternate fire feature in single player.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I almost forgot how incredibly short this game is! The plane level was always a neat one for me as a kid, but I consistently had trouble with surviving until the final turret section.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm starting to think that Alura was originally going to be Zoe, but something changed during development, like voice actress availability or something similar.

Also, I can't help but chuckle at how the AIMS-20 takes a lot of design cues from Perfect Dark's Super Dragon assault rifle/grenade launcher combo weapon. Like, the only noticeable differences are the added infrared scope for the AIMS-20 and not having to turn the gun sideways to use the grenade launcher mode.

It's actually a real gun, the XM29 OICW. It never panned out because it was too hilariously large, but the grenade launcher got made (it's the same size as the full weapon system) as the XM25 and is or was in limited use.

The S&T K11 is also basically the exact same thing and South Korea has 900 in service.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 10, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

Thus concludes Nightfire, folks. Sadly my attempts to get the PC version to work failed, but at least we had this legit good one to enjoy! No promises, but I'm going to replay From Russia With Love and see if that one's at all worth LPing. If so, we might not need to wait five years for my next 007 LP.
In the meantime, thank you all for watching! We'll see you with a big fat mess of new LPs in 2017.

I'm definitely in for FRWL. It's a crazy recreation of the movie that expands just about every scene into a wild action scene with anachronistic technology, and has Sean Connery coming out of retirement to voice Bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

frozentreasure posted:

I might be biased, but EoN seems much easier to me. Also much better. There are a few moments that are tough, but the shooting system makes it easy to get headshots, and the melee combat is actually, like, good. It gets tough by the end, and getting all of the Bond Moments was tricky, but I only needed to play on 00 Agent for the last three or four levels to get gold medals, and the rest of the game is fine on Agent.

After someone brought up From Russia With Love in my thread I did track down a copy and give it a go, but so many of the mechanics were changed in little ways from EoN, and not for the better, that I couldn't be comfortable with it. If Thorn doesn't give it a whirl, I might take another swing and see if I enjoy it enough to play through the whole thing.

I still have some nostalgia for FRWL, because I got it for Christmas in 2005 when it was brand new. I always associate the game with the memory of playing it in a cold house, right next to the Christmas tree, late at night when my mom was asleep and I had the TV all to myself.

• Locked thread