Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acksplode
May 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

There's a chat in that office where someone offers someone else a blowjob which strikes me as even more awkward to include in a game.

Jesus, I missed that entirely. Yeah probably not a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't wanna be only negative, but having everything you walk close to highlighted in white is annoying enough and then there is the ugly Batman detective vision...

Hoping for invasions to be enabled soon!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The patch for them is in certification so I'd expect Friday at the earliest.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Don't you hate it when you've already punched three strippers and a cop before you realize you could've done the entire mission from a camera mount without anyone seeing you?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
This is some of the blandest gameplay I have seen yet. The world is completely empty and it's obvious the online component was supposed to be a major part of the design. Pop in is horrendous. And the game looks like something that came out of 2003 graphically. They need to fix the online issues stat to populate the world. Definite sale. What a colossal gently caress up. I'm trying to figure out how there are decent reviews for this. Does Ubi have a big announcement that some of these journalists want exclusive rights on the preview for?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Utnayan posted:

This is some of the blandest gameplay I have seen yet. The world is completely empty and it's obvious the online component was supposed to be a major part of the design. Pop in is horrendous. And the game looks like something that came out of 2003 graphically. They need to fix the online issues stat to populate the world. Definite sale. What a colossal gently caress up. I'm trying to figure out how there are decent reviews for this. Does Ubi have a big announcement that some of these journalists want exclusive rights on the preview for?

When the game is working at its best it offers a fair amount of flexibility in how you complete your missions, far more than the first game and indeed a fair number of open world games. The online multiplayer (when it is working) is a lot of fun and it's absolutely mind-boggling to me that it launched in a non-working state. It has a lot of problems but I can easily see how people enjoyed it if they're the kind of people who like figuring out the puzzles to sneak through missions without getting noticed. It's not really great as an open world game but there are precious few open world games good at being open world games so that being a game breaking flaw is probably more personal than anything.

It still has a ton of issues and in terms of "stealth game with a ton of freedom" Dishonored 2 blows it out of the goddamn water.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Utnayan posted:

Haha why do you keep buying games

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"it looks like it's from 2003" is the clickiest bait

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

ImpAtom posted:

When the game is working at its best it offers a fair amount of flexibility in how you complete your missions, far more than the first game and indeed a fair number of open world games. The online multiplayer (when it is working) is a lot of fun and it's absolutely mind-boggling to me that it launched in a non-working state. It has a lot of problems but I can easily see how people enjoyed it if they're the kind of people who like figuring out the puzzles to sneak through missions without getting noticed. It's not really great as an open world game but there are precious few open world games good at being open world games so that being a game breaking flaw is probably more personal than anything.

It still has a ton of issues and in terms of "stealth game with a ton of freedom" Dishonored 2 blows it out of the goddamn water.

That's the biggest thing. It should have not launched without the multiplayer component fully functional. I also agree on dishonored 2. PS4 version of Xbox one since PC is a huge mess. But without the multi, the entire world feels completely small and empty. For anyone on the fence I highly suggest waiting for a sale or until they prove they can fix the multiplayer component. Hell, Titanfall 2 just went on sale for 29 bucks less than two weeks after launch. If they don't get the multi on track, - couple weeks and the price nosedives in time for the holidays.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

And the game looks like something that came out of 2003 graphically.

Haha no

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Well, to be fair, I'm comparing it to GTA 5. Which blows this out of the water graphically. Probably isn't fair to do that since this is Ubisoft after all and Rockstar has a ton of talent.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Utnayan posted:

This is some of the blandest gameplay I have seen yet. The world is completely empty and
Lol. How about that GTA5 then huh?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Croccers posted:

Lol. How about that GTA5 then huh?

The gameplay, from GTA5 was great from a mission perspective especially when being able to switch between Michael, franklin, and Trevor and they would all play a part in the mission and each had their own impact. The game also launched over three years ago. And still had a dearth of content and mission types and people actually remember the characters even today. The last open world game we got was Mafia 3 and the cut and paste filler in that was a chore to get through. Maybe if publishers actually let developers be creative, we would have more games like RDR and GTA. It's been a disappointing year for games. A lot of rushed, cut and paste cookie cutter poo poo this year aside from a bare handful. Sorry but this game, with a multiplayer component that was a design to work in tandem with this particular game and not have that functional, is just par for the course Ubisoft incompetence. And if you would have told me a year ago EA would steal the year with Battlefront 1, I would have laughed. But that seems to be the case this year.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I thought GTA5 was a boring slog :shrug:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

GTA V has a beautiful world and the heists were incredible. It was fun to set things up and execute them, you could really tell which missions they really spent time on. The characters were well defined and there were some nice arcs but I missed the "build your crime empire" feeling you got from San Andreas and Vice city. It also fell hard into the Rockstar cliche: 'constantly do missions for assholes that betray you and you end up not making money on it'.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Also outside of the carefully designed missions it was empty and boring as gently caress.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let me tell you why I love Watch_Dogs:

Earlier today I had to get through a controlled area to get to an objective. There were six goons in the restricted area. I hacked into a camera and found a goon with a grenade, which I activated. The goon freaked out but managed to toss away the grenade at the last second--directly into a gas pipeline.

The resulting explosion immediately killed the four closest goons, including the poor grenade-tossing sap. The explosion also caused the inhabitants of the homeless camp located behind the controlled area to freak out and run, stampeding goon number five in the process, knocking him out (which I didn't even know was possible). I slipped past and got to the objective, indifferent to the mayhem and explosions that continued behind me.

As I went to leave, I realized there was one goon left behind in the chaos, staring in disbelief at the smoldering wreck that used to be his territory. His friends were dead, corpses lying in front of the wreck of three cars that had somehow been summoned to the scene and subsequently blown up. Steam poured from a nearby pipe.

I smiled slightly as I aimed my stun gun directly at the back of his head.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 16, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gotta say I'm already enjoying the main character ten times more than Aiden.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

tbh after Unity, you're asking for it if you're expecting Ubisoft netplay to be in working order at launch

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

It is not lighting my world on fire, but it is not that terrible either. I will wait until they fix the multiplayer (if they fix it soon) before passing judgement.

But yeah, playing this after Dishonored 2 does it absolutely no favors in terms of stealth.

EDIT: In fact, comparing it to either Dishonored game is kind of an unfair comparison.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 16, 2016

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?
I've been having fun with this game. Caught myself smiling during a couple missions, had fun having cops arrest security guards (and somehow triggered a civilian v security guard v cop brawl), and spent a mission driving a scissor-lift around instead of figuring out the correct way to parkour up a building. But then, I'm probably easily amused.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lelandjs posted:

Let me tell you why I love Watch_Dogs:

Earlier today I had to get through a controlled area to get to an objective. There were six goons in the restricted area. I hacked into a camera and found a goon with a grenade, which I activated. The goon freaked out but managed to toss away the grenade at the last second--directly into a gas pipeline.

The resulting explosion immediately killed the four closest goons, including the poor grenade-tossing sap. The explosion also caused the inhabitants of the homeless camp located behind the controlled area to freak out and run, stampeding goon number five in the process, knocking him out (which I didn't even know was possible). I slipped past and got to the objective, indifferent to the mayhem and explosions that continued behind me.

As I went to leave, I realized there was one goon left behind in the chaos, staring in disbelief at the smoldering wreck that used to be his territory. His friends were dead, corpses lying in front of the wreck of three cars that had somehow been summoned to the scene and subsequently blown up. Steam poured from a nearby pipe.

I smiled slightly as I aimed my stun gun directly at the back of his head.

like thats what i have heard, when the world is alive, its alive and great and interactive and plays off itself.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The latest good open world games were AC2 and Bully. GTA5 had a beautiful world but the gameplay was lacking. RDR gets a pass because you could tip you hat.

WD2 also gets a pass because you can pet dogs. Every game that let's you pet animals are OK in my book.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 16, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Renoistic posted:

WD2 also gets a pass because you can pet dogs. Every game that let's you pet animals are OK in my book.

There's even a trophy for doing it lots. The only one I've seen looked exactly like the dog from The Division, an actual bad game where all the dogs do is poo poo everywhere.

Also I laughed at the autistic guy talking about (extremely mild dialogue spoiler) cornholing. The dialogue is way better than I expected, but still kinda bad in a good way.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I bought a boat and gave it a sweet skin:

Watch_Dogs 3: Black Hat Flag

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's a Giant Bomb quick look for those who care about such things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv2NAzTmTic

Gerstmann seems to like it. Or whoever that is. They all sound the same to me.

edit: they also seem to think it's a good representation of SF, as locals.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 16, 2016

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Spent a couple hours in, I like it much better than the last one. I really liked the hackerphone gimmick the last game had, but the story was super dumb. The story so far is fun, following a pack of nerds pulling pranks. I'm hoping the game keeps pace, I'd hate for this to be one of those that blow all the good content in the first couple hours.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Here's a Giant Bomb quick look for those who care about such things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv2NAzTmTic

Gerstmann seems to like it. Or whoever that is. They all sound the same to me.

edit: they also seem to think it's a good representation of SF, as locals.

10 seconds in and you can pet dogs. At least us PC folks have a couple weeks for you maniacs to test it out for us.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Renoistic posted:

The latest good open world games were AC2 and Bully. GTA5 had a beautiful world but the gameplay was lacking. RDR gets a pass because you could tip you hat.

failing to mention black flag invalidates your comment, ya scurvy dog.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Also Witcher 3 mofo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Qmass posted:

failing to mention black flag invalidates your comment, ya scurvy dog.
Yeah, more so that you could pet animals in it as well. The first AC game that didn't let you pet animals was Unity and that's an understandable change in order to realistically simulate that the French hate everything.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Sleeping Dogs was also great.

Bully is still the king though.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
If anyone on xbone wants to do coop stuff.

GT: S1Nx81

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I will never play watchdogs 2. I do however have amazon prime therefore I have this code that gives you an ingame twitch hoodie and xp boost.

LMTR-GT9L-GA9X-VPF4

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 16, 2016

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I was one of those rare people who really liked the first game - not because it was a great game (it truly wasn't!) but because it ended up being a lot of fun as it almost felt like a self-aware parody of self-serious cookie cutter open-world games. If something like the "Saints Row" series is outright stoopid parody, "Watch Dogs" felt like a more self-aware parody, down to the completely generic gruff-voiced Mad White Guy protagonist.

I bought WD2 yesterday and have had a ton of fun with it already. I think lightening up the tone was exactly the right move - it feels consistent with how truly stupid WD1 was at times, even if it wasn't necessarily intentional. WD2 is clearly self-aware - one of the first missions involves your hacktivist clan getting all riled up about a dumb "cyber thriller" movie, even though this game is itself about as goofball as "Hackers" was. That makes it WORK.

The one major inconsistency is the violence, though. I guess I'm playing the entire game with the stun gun because it doesn't make narrative sense to be a bunch of corndog hacktivist 4channers working out of a board game store one second and then be mowing down security guards with automatic weapons and splattering pedestrians the next. Even carjacking feels wrong and inconsistent and dumb; I'm just an idiot brogrammer, not a sociopath!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really not liking this game just on the grounds of how pretentious it feels.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Getting random people arrested or murdered by gangsters for extremely petty reasons is a lot of fun. As is causing big firefights. I enjoyed the hacking stuff in the last game but the driving and shooting was pretty poor so I'm glad it does seem you can complete every mission with hacking and drones.

Also, the people of San Francisco almost all seem to have really high incomes. How do you make $60,000 as a dishwasher?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Utnayan posted:

Wait why are you describing the first game in the series?

Oh.

Oh. :smith:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

evilmiera posted:

Wait why are you describing the first game in the series?

Oh.

Oh. :smith:

I am describing Watchdogs 2.

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I liked Watchdogs 1 only cause my friend got it and I went round his with a bunch of friends and we all made fun of him for how ugly it was and how boring Aiden was. But actually then he starting doing some invasions and invading people and pretending to be an AI is actually super fun, especially when you're drunk and all your friends are too and chanting "keep your powder dry!" and throwing things at you as you try and stand still in the open and not get scanned by the player running immediately towards you.

That was really goddamn enjoyable actually, rigging an explosion to go off in the other direction if they came too close, my fave was slowly tailing the person as they frantically search for you, always going where they just went , or standing next to a shop so they go in and meticulously search it multiple times, then just as the timer runs out you step right in front of him.

• Locked thread