Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after MGSV and Witcher 3 last year I've found most open world "doing stuff in a city and driving cars" games extremely boring, I don't see that changing until Red Dead 2 comes out. Pushing buttons to make tvs and traffic lights turn on and emit shockwaves isn't that special, give me a loving neo noir tech scorpion to drive in and let me do Shadowrun matrix poo poo hacking people's brains to make them do some kind of Deus Ex aug freakout. Watchdogs please come to the logical conclusion and combine Blood Dragon with your hacker cyberpunk game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Is there spider tank?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

nopantsjack posted:

I liked Watchdogs 1 only cause my friend got it and I went round his with a bunch of friends and we all made fun of him for how ugly it was and how boring Aiden was. But actually then he starting doing some invasions and invading people and pretending to be an AI is actually super fun, especially when you're drunk and all your friends are too and chanting "keep your powder dry!" and throwing things at you as you try and stand still in the open and not get scanned by the player running immediately towards you.

That was really goddamn enjoyable actually, rigging an explosion to go off in the other direction if they came too close, my fave was slowly tailing the person as they frantically search for you, always going where they just went , or standing next to a shop so they go in and meticulously search it multiple times, then just as the timer runs out you step right in front of him.

Yeah. My opinion will most likely change a bit when they actually come through / fix multiplayer in WD2. Supposedly a patch is in certification from a poster here. So it will be interesting to see if they actually fix it or if it's all lip service to protect the 2 week launch window. Ubisoft needs to let their developers and QA have time with these titles to make them work out of the box - and realize they are only shooting themselves in the foot when the press gets a hold of the news. But they've been doing this for years, so I see no reason why they would change now. Especially when their world design was developed around a functional online component they just took out of the game because it didn't work correctly.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 16, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Is there spider tank?

Yes. There is spider tank.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. There is spider tank.

Was gonna complain about this, but uh, nevermind.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
How tone deaf is the game? Cause the commercials give me the vibe that it's written by a bunch of old people in a meeting trying to sound young and hip.

Like does the main character ever say, "Well as a millenial..."?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

MrSlam posted:

How tone deaf is the game? Cause the commercials give me the vibe that it's written by a bunch of old people in a meeting trying to sound young and hip.

It feels to me like the staff of Clickhole coming together and doing this and making a fun game out of it. It's simultaneously accurate and also having a ton of dumb fun with the whole "l33t hacker millennials" thing too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's both earnest and tongue in cheek at the same time like a lot of good satire.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Haha watch dogs 2. I thought this was a joke

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MrSlam posted:

It's passable, not too awful. Political discussion around privacy and corporate control of technology are a little hamfisted, but handled okay. The game acknowledging the protagonist's blackness is kinda refreshing, and hasn't misstepped so far. Right before your group of hackers retrofits a car to be remote-controllable, the protagonist blurts out "Hackers love a challenge!" which is more stage direction than dialogue.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

It feels to me like the staff of Clickhole coming together and doing this and making a fun game out of it.

That's giving it way too much credit

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm curious why the security guards at a midtown film production studio were issued hand grenades.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

acksplode posted:

It's passable, not too awful. Political discussion around privacy and corporate control of technology are a little hamfisted, but handled okay.

I think it falls completely on it's face personally, they're stealing people's private information and monitoring them under the guise of helping and protect them, even though that's the exact same justification the companies they go after use. At no point so far does the game acknowledge this or have them feel some form of guilt over this, yet I'm suppose to think these people are good guys? :psyduck:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Back Hack posted:

I think it falls completely on it's face personally, they're stealing people's private information and monitoring them under the guise of helping and protect them, even though that's the exact same justification the companies they go after use. At no point so far does the game acknowledge this or have them feel some form of guilt over this, yet I'm suppose to think these people are good guys? :psyduck:

Yeah that's fair. I'm still pretty early in the game, but all this hubris does seem like it's begging for some sort of karmic comeuppance. If the game brushes these doubts away so as to not get in the way of your hacker power fantasy, that'd be lame. But tbh I'm not expecting a solid critique of corporate capitalist technocracy from a product that is an inseparable product of that system.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Wanderer posted:

I'm curious why the security guards at a midtown film production studio were issued hand grenades.

also it's lucasfilm. They take leaks of new star wars really loving seriously.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Here's the really important question: can you change your haircut??

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is that final not-Scientology mission supposed to be really difficult without upgrades or do I just suck? There's like 40 dudes around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Is that final not-Scientology mission supposed to be really difficult without upgrades or do I just suck? There's like 40 dudes around.

Generally any mission with a lot of dudes has very clear progression paths for the drones. In that one IIRC you do have bring Marcus inside but it's a straight run to the elevator.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ImpAtom posted:

Generally any mission with a lot of dudes has very clear progression paths for the drones. In that one IIRC you do have bring Marcus inside but it's a straight run to the elevator.

I haven't unlocked the quadcopter yet. Tried it like three times and then abandoned it for the haum sweet haum one which was easy by comparison.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Movie studio level spoilers:

Did anyone else drive their RC under the main stage and find the body in a bag with the gnomes behind it? Does that come back in the storyline, or was it just a strange thing for people to find?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The one where you invade their base, after you rescue Jimmy?

What I ended up doing was going in on the left, KOing the two guys around the booth, using the electrical vault to KO one guy outside the temple, stun-gunned his buddy, then waited out the inevitable body discovery on the balcony inside the temple. Used cameras and careful positioning to solve the hack, then took the elevator down. It looks a lot harder than it is.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

lelandjs posted:

Movie studio level spoilers:

There's a whole easter egg quest around that theme:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/11/15/watch-dogs-2-all-gnome-locations-secret-outfit-guide

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wanderer posted:

What I ended up doing was going in on the left, KOing the two guys around the booth, using the electrical vault to KO one guy outside the temple, stun-gunned his buddy, then waited out the inevitable body discovery on the balcony inside the temple. Used cameras and careful positioning to solve the hack, then took the elevator down. It looks a lot harder than it is.

Yeah I must have been overly tired/impatient because I just tried it again and had no problem. Thanks.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Spoilers:
Finished the game, screw the main characters, Ubisoft pulled another Aiden Pierce. The game tries to present Deadsec as a group of sympathetic good guy doing bad things for the greater good, but by the end of the game they basically turn into full blown building bombing terrorists with no sense of irony of what they've become or what they always been; a bunch power hungry narcissistic sociopaths.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Wanderer posted:

That was a fun mission to ghost. I snuck my RC car into the office above the garage, hacked the laptop that gave me the key to the church, and then took the vent there to the garage below. I unlocked the garage from the inside and then put the RC car away and walked myself through it and underneath most of the patrols on the left side. I used the distraction hack on the one guard watching the church's side entrance, then completed the mission like you said. I escaped by sneaking back to the garage, stealing a nice car, and peeling the gently caress out.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

acksplode posted:

They butchered San Francisco :gonk:

Part of the hype for me was seeing my neighborhood rendered in-game, but the Mission is gone, along with like half of the city. Also in-game Oakland doesn't even try to look like IRL Oakland. Sausalito is a more faithful reproduction. Not a huge deal but I'm a little disappointed.

That's what has me interested as well but uhhhh why the gently caress would you make a game about some fusion of counterculture and tech and ~gritty urbanity~ and not heavily feature the neighborhood that sits at the intersection of all those things?

Like yeah you can ditch the Richmond and Sunset and probably even most of Pac Heights or Noe or Potrero.. but Mission?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

acksplode posted:

That was a fun mission to ghost. I snuck my RC car into the office above the garage, hacked the laptop that gave me the key to the church, and then took the vent there to the garage below. I unlocked the garage from the inside and then put the RC car away and walked myself through it and underneath most of the patrols on the left side. I used the distraction hack on the one guard watching the church's side entrance, then completed the mission like you said. I escaped by sneaking back to the garage, stealing a nice car, and peeling the gently caress out.

I might have hit a weird bug on that one. Every time I tried to drop through the vent into the garage, my RC car went offline. I wasn't getting the range warning, either.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Brosnan posted:

That's what has me interested as well but uhhhh why the gently caress would you make a game about some fusion of counterculture and tech and ~gritty urbanity~ and not heavily feature the neighborhood that sits at the intersection of all those things?

Like yeah you can ditch the Richmond and Sunset and probably even most of Pac Heights or Noe or Potrero.. but Mission?

So the Mission is in there -- in fact it's where the SF Dedsec HQ is located -- but it's crammed in between Soma and Twin Peaks. It's basically the northwest chunk of the Mission condensed into a few blocks. More of an homage than a reproduction. That big green square on the southeast side of SF on that map is a slightly undersized Dolores Park.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

acksplode posted:

So the Mission is in there -- in fact it's where the SF Dedsec HQ is located -- but it's crammed in between Soma and Twin Peaks. It's basically the northwest chunk of the Mission condensed into a few blocks. More of an homage than a reproduction. That big green square on the southeast side of SF on that map is a slightly undersized Dolores Park.

I live on Dolores, north of the park. Do I have a home in Watchdogs?? :ohdear:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I agree that there being dogs and being able to pet them is a great improvement over the last game. I basically stop and pet all the dogs.

The second mission I ran into was basically trolling not-Martin Shkreli which I enjoyed a decent bit. The alternate names for things in the game frequently seem weird as gently caress to me, like Wu Tang Clan being replaced with a rapper named Bo Bo Dakes and Google being replaced with Nudle. Were they just pulling Scrabble tiles out of a bag at random for some of these?

Also it took me forever to get the quadcopter drone because I kept spending all my money on more clothes. Now that I have it I've been using it as a platform for the Jumper to jump off of to get to stuff that would normally require the higher jump upgrade.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Back Hack posted:

Spoilers:
Finished the game, screw the main characters, Ubisoft pulled another Aiden Pierce. The game tries to present Deadsec as a group of sympathetic good guy doing bad things for the greater good, but by the end of the game they basically turn into full blown building bombing terrorists with no sense of irony of what they've become or what they always been; a bunch power hungry narcissistic sociopaths.

I also just finished the game and respectfully disagree the part with Wrench to destroy the back up servers is pretty explode-y if you want but even he gets stun options and he is fairly well established as an archetypal bomb throwing anarchist, when you go back to Marcus then it could get messy but judicious use of drones, stun guns and the mass communication hack make it manageable without bloodshed. Unless you, like forget to make sure you only hack non lethal environmental hazards.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Brosnan posted:

I live on Dolores, north of the park. Do I have a home in Watchdogs?? :ohdear:

I don't think there's really anything identifiable as a Dolores St. 24th got vaporized too, so I'm out on the streets with ya. The good news is that there's still plenty of elevated highway to live under.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 18, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So apparently this game is actually good?

Is it better than Mafia 3?

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Back Hack posted:

the main difference is that they're using that info to steal from the rich and give back to the afflicted, sort of like hacker Robin Hoods. i think it generally works, just ignore all the innocent bystanders' bank accounts you hack and then run down with a jeep

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brightman posted:

Now that I have it I've been using it as a platform for the Jumper to jump off of to get to stuff that would normally require the higher jump upgrade.

:aaaaa:

...I can't believe I didn't think of trying that. I've been doing things like exploiting collision detection on shelving units to jump up the shelves or backing a car up to where I need extra height, jumper-on-quadcopter is much easier and more flexible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Here is the #1 trick to finishing a ton of missions really easily (though more if you go lethal:)

You can attach remote bombs to your drones.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So apparently this game is actually good?

Is it better than Mafia 3?

I liked Mafia 3 more than most and I'd say yes easily. Unless you like games that take themselves super seriously like Mafia and the first WD.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Utnayan posted:

This is some of the blandest gameplay I have seen yet. The world is completely empty and it's obvious the online component was supposed to be a major part of the design. Pop in is horrendous. And the game looks like something that came out of 2003 graphically. They need to fix the online issues stat to populate the world. Definite sale. What a colossal gently caress up. I'm trying to figure out how there are decent reviews for this. Does Ubi have a big announcement that some of these journalists want exclusive rights on the preview for?

Hi, what do you mean by "blandest gameplay" & "The world is completely empty"?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

:canada: fyi canadians, Watch Dogs 2 (and BF1) are $30 off at Shoppers Drug Mart of all places this Saturday and Sunday. :canada:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Little Bitch Man posted:

Hi, what do you mean by "blandest gameplay" & "The world is completely empty"?

Do you expect an actual response from someone who melts down every time publishers conspire against the little gamer man by downgrading graphics from PR material or by not having Star Citizen-level graphics because their games also have to run on consoles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

orcane posted:

Do you expect an actual response from someone who melts down every time publishers conspire against the little gamer man by downgrading graphics from PR material or by not having Star Citizen-level graphics because their games also have to run on consoles?

Idk who this poster is. Just wanted know his explanations for those statements, I've been considering getting this game.

• Locked thread