Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Little Bitch Man posted:

Idk who this poster is. Just wanted know his explanations for those statements, I've been considering getting this game.

Most of what he said was objectively wrong and he posts something similar in every big new game thread that I read. Although to be fair he inexplicably likes psvr games for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PSVR is really fun.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
His opening statement was that it looks like it's from 2003

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I really, really, really hate Ubisofts 2 week PC-delay they always do nowadays because I want to be playing this game already.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Little Bitch Man posted:

Hi, what do you mean by "blandest gameplay" & "The world is completely empty"?

The gameplay itself has various options to complete missions but mostly you will be using one of about two or three to get the mission done. Which wouldn't be so bad but the controls are clunky, especially when using R2 (PS4 version) to parkour. I haven't understood this control scheme but I did get used to it since I played dying light and it was used in that game as well. The world (San Fran) is fine from an atmosphere perspective but the populated areas are obviously missing filler and that is because the world was also designed with online invasions in mind and that is completely disabled aside from coop right know. Driving is horrendous. However, that is mitigated somewhat by an instant on unlocked fast travel system to POI's like a donut shop or clothes kiosk. With that said, the mission type is all the same so far, but it's broken up a bit because of various ways you can try to complete the mission so it has pseudo variety. The game lacks soul in this perspective because there isn't anything different you do, just a few added options to do it if you have unlocked the abilities.

I stand by the graphical statement. GTA5 blows this out of the water in every way. It basically looks like a 360 game in native 1080p. Textures are weak. Especially inside mission areas and buildings. It is an improvement over the first game, but that's like saying hey I put a bow on this pile of poo poo. Everything gets very stale and boring within about two to three hours even if you spend all that time gathering followers to increase your research on the hacking skills. The game is worth looking at, on sale, and around 20-25 bucks.

With that said, online seamless multiplayer, when activated, will change this up quite a bit when you can invade others and go crazy. Without that working though it's a shell of a game which a few moments that will make you laugh since the story doesn't take itself so seriously and you will see a lot of parodys of real life events. The game isn't any worse than Mafia 3, and the way you can complete missions can vary somewhat it still gets stale VERY quickly. Mafia 3 had its own set of issues with 90% of the game all the same mission over and over again while taking over districts with a glimpse of fun at the end of each district with a unique mission. The story however was of higher quality, especially if you played the previous two mafia games and know the characters.

Without online PvP working it's about a 5/10 for me. Don't mind that unfortunate guy up there. His tastes are just different. He loves lovely games I guess and maybe wants to defend everything to justify his purchase? I can only formulate this opinion seeing defense of Mafia 3 and this game. Two games we have both played that we disagree on. No clue. I'll just tell it like it is. Rent it and see what you think first. Online multiplayer will save it from where I sit, hopefully there are still people playing it by the time Ubi can fix it. Supposedly a patch is in the testing phase according to Ubisoft yesterday on their forums. But I'll believe it when I see it. All in all it is most definitely not worth a full price purchase.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 18, 2016

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Look how wrong that guy is.
The game is a lot of fun, I started off mainlining the story which is not great but compelling enough and has good characters and the missions aren't hugely varied objectives wise, mostly falling into "climb that" jumping puzzles, the hacking puzzles where you complete a circuit or "sneak/shoot your way here" missions but they do up the complexity and the narrative keeps things trucking along nicely plus there is a lot of other fun stuff in the world between side missions, racing, the not Uber thing I've seen likened to Crazy Taxi and Scout X which is a big improvement on the original games location check in thing since it gets you looking around for things and people rather than just the sign. There's also just the little stuff like the way that you see people interacting around you or messing with them by calling cops on a busker, I also discovered that rather than a generic either player aggro line or car damage line, climbing on an occupied vehicle will cause the driver to specifically call you out on standing on their car. It's a nice little touch. I just wish the trams or other mass transit worked, though I think you can get on the old open ones.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I like the concessions this game made to being fun over realistic, especially infinite drones/jumpers after a cool down. I think the breadstick-strength telephone poles and any metal post breaking off at the base if you sneeze at it (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Urine-Damaged-Lamp-Post-Almost-Hits-Driver-320799811.html ???) are stupid, but funny.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Anime_Otaku posted:

Look how wrong that guy is.
The game is a lot of fun, I started off mainlining the story which is not great but compelling enough and has good characters and the missions aren't hugely varied objectives wise, mostly falling into "climb that" jumping puzzles, the hacking puzzles where you complete a circuit or "sneak/shoot your way here" missions but they do up the complexity and the narrative keeps things trucking along nicely plus there is a lot of other fun stuff in the world between side missions, racing, the not Uber thing I've seen likened to Crazy Taxi and Scout X which is a big improvement on the original games location check in thing since it gets you looking around for things and people rather than just the sign. There's also just the little stuff like the way that you see people interacting around you or messing with them by calling cops on a busker, I also discovered that rather than a generic either player aggro line or car damage line, climbing on an occupied vehicle will cause the driver to specifically call you out on standing on their car. It's a nice little touch. I just wish the trams or other mass transit worked, though I think you can get on the old open ones.

So we agree on the stale mission types. Which is a main complaint of mine - the complexity varies as you go a long but it doesn't change the fact it's the same mission type over and over again. You mention racing and the Fake Uber app, yet driving is universally panned by even people that like the game and swear by it. It's fun to mess with people in the game and I thought they did that well, but that gets old after the 1st or 2nd time you do it and lasts for about 5 minutes. You mention the trams not working, and that and other little details are why I say the game has no soul. Those types of little nuances make an open world feel alive. All the little things that someone playing a game can take for granted until it's not there, and it has a severe impact on the liveliness of the open world.

Characters are forgettable. I have laughed a few times at some of the shenanigans (Especially early on because I loved Knight Rider as a kid) but that doesn't all of a sudden make the tedium of this game magically vanish.

There was a time when Ubisoft was actually relevant. Back when they would take real risk like with Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow multiplayer which was fantastic. Now, they continue to poo poo out annualized IP over IP based in the open world check box formula and none of them have had any soul since AC: Black Flag/Far Cry 3. This company is in dire need of reinventing themselves so they bring back the creativity and fun they were once capable of, and along with that, quality assurance so when they ship a game the mainstay of it isn't broken and needing to be disabled at launch.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 18, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually pretty enamored with the game, especially considering how bad the first one was. They dumped the psuedo-cool MC and the Lisbeth Salander-knockoff and made a cast of what are essentially jumped-up nerds. They have a bunch of awful meme poo poo because that's what turbonerds are into, and I think that's hilarious.

I'm trying to do a (vaugely) non-lethal run for plot reasons and it's been pretty fun so far.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My current take on it is that the game's got a lot going for it in terms of the characters and plot; instead of Anger Management Dexter, you're playing as a dude with backup who all want to do genuinely useful and benevolent things, even if they're cheerfully being punks about it the entire time. They're pleasant characters to spend a few hours with, because even if they're vigilantes, they're idealistic. It pressures the player towards relative nonviolence, since it'd be seriously dissonant if Marcus the jokey, wisecracking turbo nerd also had a body count like the Spanish flu.

As a game, it's only fair, and it mostly has to do with presenting a false choice. In every situation you encounter, stealth and gadgets will win the day, because the penalties for being spotted are dramatically out of tune with what Marcus can actually handle. He has almost no damage resistance, enemies' reinforcements show up almost instantly, guards can instantly pick the player out of a crowd of civilians, and neither his devices or gadgets are well-suited to open combat. It would've made a lot more sense if this was just a straight-up stealth game, as virtually everything that involves the "Assault" option is frustrating at best; it's a failure condition masquerading as a gameplay option. You need to "ghost" levels or you're in for a headache, especially when it comes to the cops, as the San Francisco PD in Watch_Dogs 2 is the most violent police department in a video game since Jet Grind Radio.

(It'd be nice to see a karma system in a game like this where it gauged the police response to your activities according to how much of an rear end in a top hat you've been. I am a relatively peaceful vigilante hacktivist with a habit of tranquilizing people or accomplishing missions primarily through sneaking around with an RC car. It would be nice if the police responded to that person. Instead, they seem to think I'm a spree killer on PCP.)

I said in the Chip/Ironicus LP thread that the original game felt like it had started its existence as a straight-up mission-based shooter, but market forces had turned it into an open-world game with a much broader arsenal. The same applies here, in that it feels like a somewhat lower-powered answer to Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but it's a fully open-world game because someone important has a hard-on for those. If you immediately start exploring the world and going after side missions rather than pursuing the story, so you've got a broader arsenal of tools, you'll have a better time than if you like to rush through the primary campaign mode.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Can anyone describe how the coop works?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Hoping for invasions to be enabled soon!
What's the story with this? The only reason I'd get this game is for the online stuff.

edit: oh, I see http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-2s-disabled-multiplayer-mode-may-return/1100-6445533/

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 18, 2016

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah this is why I'm taking it slow and not diving into the game too deeply yet. I don't want to finish it before invasions get fixed, they sound pretty fun.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

acksplode posted:

Yeah this is why I'm taking it slow and not diving into the game too deeply yet. I don't want to finish it before invasions get fixed, they sound pretty fun.
As they mention in the gamespot link I posted, having this weird feeling that you might be being snuck up on by some player really does add an interesting sense of immersion to what was otherwise a mediocre game last time. I imagine that they've had enough time to add some game modes and iron out the exploitable poo poo from the old ones, but I'm totally looking forward to randomly firing in the street to see if I can catch a pedestrian who doesn't turn and run as quickly as an AI :laugh:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This is a good/fair review IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0HX2_q7D1U

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
I like this one. Been watching more and more because it lines up with other reviews of his.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=65ZSDkbjUhk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

As a game, it's only fair, and it mostly has to do with presenting a false choice. In every situation you encounter, stealth and gadgets will win the day, because the penalties for being spotted are dramatically out of tune with what Marcus can actually handle. He has almost no damage resistance, enemies' reinforcements show up almost instantly, guards can instantly pick the player out of a crowd of civilians, and neither his devices or gadgets are well-suited to open combat. It would've made a lot more sense if this was just a straight-up stealth game, as virtually everything that involves the "Assault" option is frustrating at best; it's a failure condition masquerading as a gameplay option. You need to "ghost" levels or you're in for a headache, especially when it comes to the cops, as the San Francisco PD in Watch_Dogs 2 is the most violent police department in a video game since Jet Grind Radio.

I think this stands out most when the game does try to force you into combat because the game just really isn't designed for it. The last part of the game gives you brief access to a segment where you get a free copy of every "3D Printed" gun and are at least mildly encouraged to go full violence (though non-violence is an option) and it's easily the worst part of the game if you actually try that. It becomes clear how really lackluster the guns are and how unbalanced it is for combat. You can absolutely do Assault but it revolves almost exclusively around spamming the L1 Distraction button to stun enemies and popping the AoE Distraction Button if you get surrounded and even then it's pretty trivial for Marcus to die to a swift breeze.

A lot of the 'violent' options feel like they're legacies of the first game rather than part of the design sense of the second and finishing a mission violently rarely feels coherent or sensible. Marcus always treats it like he's a nice dude escaping by the seat of his pants and not someone who just murdered half of SF's police department.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

They really need to take the guns out of the next one and expand on hacking. Drop the samey stuff every other open-world game does and double-down on what makes WD2 unique. Maybe give you a pistol for emergencies, that's it. None of this grenade launcher sniper rifle nonsense.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

acksplode posted:

They really need to take the guns out of the next one and expand on hacking. Drop the samey stuff every other open-world game does and double-down on what makes WD2 unique. Maybe give you a pistol for emergencies, that's it. None of this grenade launcher sniper rifle nonsense.

I was impressed by Horatio reacting in horror when I pulled out my not-AK at not-Google. Although no consequences of course.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Yeah, I'm like the poster above, going for a "vaguely non-lethal" run, but sometimes, I just can't resist the urge to take out that guy standing behind a parked van by having the van back over him. That was actually how I did the mission where you steal the HAUM truck at the dock - I just remote-drove the truck right out the front gate.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm going as non-lethal as possible, but when I did the side mission where Aiden shows up and everyone acts like he's Jesus, I was unable to resist the urge to remotely detonate a gang member's hand grenade.

Dude was a human trafficker. That's close to Nazi on the expendability scale, and you could kill a thousand Nazis with a cheese grater before your karma meter so much as moved.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Wanderer posted:

I'm going as non-lethal as possible, but when I did the side mission where Aiden shows up and everyone acts like he's Jesus, I was unable to resist the urge to remotely detonate a gang member's hand grenade.

Dude was a human trafficker. That's close to Nazi on the expendability scale, and you could kill a thousand Nazis with a cheese grater before your karma meter so much as moved.

are we going by New Vegas morality standards now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A hell of a glitch

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'd be excited to know how Ubisoft thinks I'd be doing the spider tank mission in the robotics company's basement without killing anyone.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
From my time playing, it's a game that manages to get above most of the previous game's negative aspects, though it never really gets past the realm of "standard sandbox experience." Collection tasks for skill unlocks is of particular offense, since there isn't much drive for me to engage with the game's mechanics outside of story progression. Some of the blame can be shared with the genre simply being populated with many a title, but I also see this as an opportunity rather wasted. There isn't anything particularly unique that grips me about the game, not in story nor how it plays.

Setting and story are hard to swallow. I get that the goal here is internet culture (and that's what is largely produced), but the dialogue and writing come off like there was zero creative effort put behind it. It is as though they copy-pasted some misguided youth's livejournal. Geek and nerd topics are forcibly played out, internet slang is tossed around like I'm suppose to be excited about it. Hearing it play out is uncomfortable. Maybe if I cared more about the characters it'd be more endearing, but even the spiked-out billy idol guy doesn't get me all that interested in things.

Not to put too oppressive a tone on the game as a whole. It's standard as far as my feelings towards everything goes, so tuning out when alien vs predator talk pops up or when suppose-to-be-serious poo poo goes down isn't difficult. Combat is deadly, like Mafia series "A moment too long outside cover or flanked and it's over" kind of deadly. There's a bit of challenge there, and it's worth jumping through cameras to see if you can't tag everyone. Maybe take out a few with interactables. Guns blazing tends to be the way of things for me, as I can't ever work the cover system well enough to stay out of sight of someone far down the way (most of the time I didn't even know was there anyways). The gadgets do tend to have more success, but I grow impatient at times trying to figure out where to go.

Ultimately a very AAA Ubisoft game, and while we may be doing things a bit differently on the visual front, we're still doing much of the same as any sandbox game mechanically. It doesn't do much to make me care beyond the surface. I never had any hope in the whole black protag or current societal topics being catalysts for gripping story telling, but it's always a shame to see what should be unique aspects be plugged into a formulaic process. It's hard to really suggest the game to people since I don't feel like it has much to identify itself beyond "be a hacker doing the hackings in a sandbox-style game." I feel, largely, people will know if they like it just by hearing the premise and knowing who's behind it. In a way that's a bit of a win, seeing as how I could not say the same for the original Watch Dogs.

Still have the final four main missions to do. I'm not expecting much to change, but it'll be nice to square yet another game completed under the belt.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I still haven't found an anime shirt store

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

They had me when they went straight into the review without a "WHATTTUPPPPPPPP ITS YA BOY DEEZNUTZ". (Also quite a thoughtful & interesting review)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

exploded mummy posted:

I still haven't found an anime shirt store

That'll be premium DLC.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I liked the single player campaign, is there any dlc stories? Any planned? I glanced at the store front, it looked like it was all skins and such.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

gypsyshred posted:

I liked the single player campaign, is there any dlc stories? Any planned? I glanced at the store front, it looked like it was all skins and such.

The season pass only looks like it has one story dlc and it's the last thing to come out. Pretty shameful.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Qmass posted:

They had me when they went straight into the review without a "WHATTTUPPPPPPPP ITS YA BOY DEEZNUTZ". (Also quite a thoughtful & interesting review)

In the future anyone who starts a video with "Hey Guys" will be administered a severe electric shock to the genital area.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the future anyone who starts a video with "Hey Guys" will be administered a severe electric shock to the genital area.

It's the "what's up everybody" that drives me nuts. I always tell them what's up with me in the comments section and they don't seem to actually care. :(

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010
I must say I'm really enjoying my time with this. I'm surprised how little the cast have grated on me, don't get me wrong there's still a fair few cringy lines but overall a welcome change over the previous games tone. Just wish they'd get the seamless mp stuff sorted cause I loved that about the first game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Just beat the main game. I was expecting it to get a lot worse than it did, given some of the criticisms in this thread, but I managed to get through Wrench's mission with judicious use of electroshock grenades, and escaped Blume's headquarters by hitting a Blackout and running like hell for the door. I was expecting much more of a moral quandary, but unless you as the player went crazy lethal for some reason, I think the worst thing you do in-game is the Seoul blackout, and Ray even tells you that you might've just killed people.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Another review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgUYPCLSA5E

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Goddamn it Marcus, Aiden is not cool. Bad game. Don't try to justify the first one by saying he stopped a sex ring like it made any loving sense for it to be there at all. Also, yeah, gunplay is kind of poo poo in this game. But the sad thing is that stealth is kind of clunky even with the drones and stun guns to where you will likely go soft violent just to bust through gang territories or steal research points you otherwise can't get with the 2 wheeler or driving around a Ulift to just jump on the roof and hack something.

I swear, all the puzzles in this game seem to be too dumb to be done the way they want you to and are far easier to just smash open or find a way to work around them to get the thing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Does Aiden still show up wearing his stupid gabardine and iconic cap

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yes, honestly he must be sweating bullets in it too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pre-planned ambush missions were surprisingly fun, was expecting it to be a slog like the ones in AC Revelations.

edit: also can we get a new title now that vaginas have been patched out? Suggestions? I would never say y'all :colbert:

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Pre-planned ambush missions were surprisingly fun, was expecting it to be a slog like the ones in AC Revelations.

edit: also can we get a new title now that vaginas have been patched out? Suggestions? I would never say y'all :colbert:

anime hardcore purple hair elf

• Locked thread