Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
With the incredibly depressing and demolishing election results, Trump and his white supremacist, sexist, Islamophobic, homophobic, imperialistic ideology will be sitting with the world's strongest military, a mass surveillance apparatus in the form of NSA and Homeland Security, an extrajudicial drone program, a militarized police force that shoots an kills black and brown people without punishment, an embrace of fossil fuels in the face of cataclysmic climate changes, a legitimization of white supremacist militia like the KKK, a rise in hate crimes following the results, the LGBTQ suicides following the election, deportation of immigrants, and the list goes on and on. And all of these alarming capabilities of fascist ideology is unchecked with the Republicans controlling the house and the senate, and even being able to put in a Supreme court justice.

Whether you like it or not, the games industry and culture are not detached from this fallout and "we" cannot escape into the comfortable nature of entertainment away from what's going on "outside" (especially if we are affected by his policies). Games are part of society and can (should?) reflect what we are going through as human beings. Therefore, publishers, developers, journalists, critics, Youtubers, players, consumers, etc. have to take a stand in this ugly downturn in history. Being neutral doesn't cut it in the face of oppression and fascist ideology.

Here are some examples of what some game developers and writers have done:
Austin Walker wrote an editorial for Waypoint on how they embrace diversity and push back against bigotry.
Fullbright are making their game Gone Home free for everyone
Itch.io are in the process of making a bundle where all the proceeds go to the ACLU.
Double Fine are explicitly hiring diverse candidates.
Editor-in-Chief of Gamesindustry.biz James Brightman did an editorial about the diversity of games and how the industry and culture have to shut down the Gamergaters and alt-right that are in line with Trump's fascism.
What other avenues can publishers, developers, writers, communities, players do? Will EA/Activision/Ubisoft/Square Enix donate profits to more civil rights unions? Will they hire more from the groups who will face the oppression of the government? Will they emphasize diversity and multiplicity in their games and their marketing? Will IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, Polygon, etc. include address the societal context in which they do their coverage and reviews? Will Microsoft consider how their own company is situated in a country with a white supremacist government? Will Gaming Youtubers address their audiences about what's going on and remind them that this is serious business and that people, especially Muslims, LGBTQ, Black, poor, etc., will be hosed over by the policies?

I think the important thing is that the games industry in as many instances as possible does not accept or normalize Trump's and the Republicans' fascist platforms. That they don't continue the status quo and that they don't ignore it. Feel free to add or contribute with other articles or videos or PR statements by companies that touch on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could probably argue that the biggest game companies should donate their profits to civil rights organizations - ACLU, Planned Parenthood, SPL, BLM, and so on. That would be one step for them (in addition to fixing their own problems).

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

neogaf?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

release wolfenstein 3D HD

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

blistering satire in the new Tropico 5 DLC where you play as Ronaldo Drumpf

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The Road to Fallout prequel miniseries detailing the disastrous mistakes of MAGA and the return to traditional american values such as nuclear cars

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
bump

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mafia 3, but instead of yelling slurs at you they yell that they voted trump at you

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
More Q*bert!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
austin walker is a big baby and should shut up

this is the problem with the new generation of gaming press. every little thing is some loving slant against them.

quote:

Most striking to me, though, is the simple fact that nearly 60 million Americans chose to support a campaign that leveraged racist, xenophobic, anti-LGBTQ, and sexist rhetoric.

this is literally on a article on a major gaming website. Video games and video game websites shouldn't say anything like this ever. You're job is to tell us if a video game is good or not, not put a political stance and then go on a tirade about indie games.

just my opnion

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Make Metal Gear Rising 2 where everything is exactly the same except replace Senator Armstrong with President Trump

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my point is if you want to tlak about pol9itics loving join the political press dont bring your personal bullshit into my VIDE OGAMES

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They should make a Kirby game where the bad guy is basically Trump.

Oh wait.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

my point is if you want to tlak about pol9itics loving join the political press dont bring your personal bullshit into my VIDE OGAMES

Well the political press wont really exist pretty soon so video game press might be the only option :shrug:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i didnt read your post op, but i support fascism in video games

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I do not understand you, but I do give you my unyielding support OP.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I laughed, pretty funny you should write front page.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I agree. With the very real notion that social minorities are actually playing these video games and use them as a form of escapism much like everyone else, it is important for media sites to cover issues such as these. Video games are already political. If you haven't noticed yet, then you haven't been paying attention.

In an election where people at worst showed that they outright hate minorities and at best showed that they simply didn't care about them, it is nice to see some effort being brought out to show that some people are making an effort to help make things better.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Collecting my ideas for discussion on a new page:

I want people to look at the consequences of their vote.

- A fun cool cops game but after a few levels you get orders to beat up a peaceful protest and then you end up killing a little Hispanic kid and it's super graphic and everybody is still like YEAH! GOOD JOB!

- A drone game where you think you're making a difference on the other side of the world, but you find out that you're bombing poor black neighbourhoods.

- An economics game where you need to find places to cut funding in order to secure tax breaks for the corporate interests who will get you re-elected, and the white neighbourhoods will balk at losing money, so you have to take it from communities of colour

- A day-to-day first person life simulator but instead of a power fantasy, you get spit on and pushed and harassed constantly and you don't know why except that your hands are a different skin colour than those of your harassers

- A word-matching game which starts with neutral emotional language but gradually becomes loaded with racial slurs and strongly coded violent language until it's revealed that the player is generating talking points for hate speeches

- A neighbourhood simulator where your character is rewarded greatly for spotting specific behaviour from your neighbours and reporting on it, which causes the police to swoop in and disappear them, but then you notice your neighbours are watching you too

- A prison simulator which starts relatively innocently but then you start getting mandates to torture specific segments of the population

- A Bully-style game in which the player completes tons of minigames to educate themselves, works hard to do well in school and keep their nose clean, then on graduation day they're shot by a police officer and there's nothing the player can do about it

- A flight sim with a futuristic jet that never lands and must refuel and repair in the air but eventually it's revealed that it's because its trillionaire passengers have exploited the world's population so badly that landing anywhere is certain death

- A city planning game where pollution is an unsolvable problem but it can be temporarily fixed by diverting it into poor communities and closing schools & increasing police presence there

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
bump

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

- A neighbourhood simulator where your character is rewarded greatly for spotting specific behaviour from your neighbours and reporting on it, which causes the police to swoop in and disappear them, but then you notice your neighbours are watching you too

This one actually sounds like it could be fun OP you accidentally gave an idea for a fun videogame therefore you're going to get disappeared I'm sorry for your lots

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
A mod for GTA5 where NPCs cross to the other side of the street whenever you play as Franklin

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

austin walker is a big baby and should shut up

this is the problem with the new generation of gaming press. every little thing is some loving slant against them.

this is literally on a article on a major gaming website. Video games and video game websites shouldn't say anything like this ever. You're job is to tell us if a video game is good or not, not put a political stance and then go on a tirade about indie games.

just my opnion

Agreed but now that lets plays and twitch and all that are a thing video game journalists are kind of obsolete. You don't need to read one guys opinion of a game when you can just watch someone play it with an interactive chat room and see and ask questions for yourself. Games journalists need to stay relevant somehow, and they're doing it by spewing political trash.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
Less Q*bert!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Make Terraria Great Again

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bump

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Releasing half life 3 would IMO make trump consider stepping down so that is worth a try sign my petition if you care about America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bump

• Locked thread