Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Bentai posted:

Starting my 5th season in the Euro League, and my choice to buy two stolen parts from the top team in season 3 is still paying dividends. This season the rules limit the number of tires available, and they've increased practice time to 15 minutes from 12. In season 4 ERS rules increased fuel tank sizes to 80% of maximum race distance. This allowed my #1 driver to win and podium at a lot of races by one-stopping. He had a chance to win the driver's championship, but for an unknown reason he wrecked out in two races. In both races his tires were not overheated or too cold, and the wear was not under 50%.

Tempted to fire my #2 driver and promote my cheap rear end reserve pay driver. He's going to suck, but at least he'll suck and pay 210k a race.

Also found out that base parts for a new season take the maximum potential quality from the season prior. So for example, if you have a 150/200 engine at the end of the season, the next season's base will be 200. With this in mind, my goal is to spend the second half of the season making massively illegal parts with high maximum potential.

Proest strat I heard was make 3 parts of everything and have the third part be massively illegal just for next year bonus.

Also this is a good starting baseline for most races then you just fine tune bu bringing your dudes in every lap never make them do a full lap.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798507311

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hotfix for 1.1 nearly ready:

- Refined blue flag car behaviour
- Cars drive off the racing line in qualifying if on an in/out lap
- Re-enabled 4:3 aspect ratio support
- Intro video now skippable after 2 seconds
- Scrutineering screen crash fix

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
This is really good.

The AI is horrendous, cars regularly park themselves behind significantly slower cars (on a few occasions cars that are out of fuel and puttering around at walking pace) or do the weird magnet dance or your driver catches up to the car ahead, promptly locks up and lets someone past them, only to catch up to that car, lock up and let another past and so on. The AI is terrible.

But the game is still really good.

I picked ZRT Autosport for my starting team, to have a bit of challenge and to be able to say I had to build it up myself. Through luck and determination I got Valdes to 3rd in the championship and the 3rd place in team rankings in the first season. Which felt really good, considering I kept the existing staff throughout, including the 1,5 star lead designer. I didn't do that much development on the car, because we were doing alright, and instead built the staff centre and the factory lvl2.

2nd season was hard, though. I had not spoiled myself at all about the mechanics of the game and was surprised to find out about the "new base stat" mechanic. This meant my car was actually worse than Predator's at the start of the second season. In addition, other teams had been recruiting hard while I had expected Valdes to grow better through experience. It appears that can only happen with lots of buildings to help him and/or millions of years. To up the challenge, the chairman decided that sure, we have the worst car in the championship, but since you finished 3rd you can now pick a target between 1st and 5th and no lower. Which is incredibly stupid.

We finished 5th in the teams ranking, by the skin of our teeth. I let the terrible lead go and hired some Finnish lady who could clone parts with her Finnish powers. I built millions upon millions of monies worth of parts and topped them off with some nice illegal ones for next season. We even managed to build the Design Centre lvl2 which does not seem to be all that great apart from the things it unlocks. Or it might have some hidden bonuses I suppose.

Now it's on to the 3rd season though, Valdes and Dembele are coming to the end of their contract and I'm probably going to shell out for some four star people. Maybe with race mechanics to match.

I do hope there's a cap to the "new base stat" level though? I started season one with a 9 effectiveness gearbox or something like that. I think I now have something over 200 at the end of the second season. If, given enough time, it can grow infinitely high or to the same cap as the higher leagues then that would completely kill the sense of progression.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Base Stat is still the mechanic that needs most work but it's much better than at launch. Must get back into this at the weekend

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The strategy I found worked for me with ZRT in year 2 was reliability and a good fuel strategy. Taking few, short pit stops got Valdez to champion and ZRT promoted in my second season. Also, taking the time in practice to get my cars finely tuned.

Going to get back to this game soon.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My strategy was going long on tyres but at times I was so slow it barely worked

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Picked this game up on wargames' reccomendation.

Play as Donald Drumph, Financial Wizard, manager of Dragon Motorsports.

Play 100% in character.

Biggest rear end in a top hat to current drivers. Biggest rear end in a top hat in interviews.

Hire Rodriguez and a Chilean woman who's name I forgot atm, as No.2 and Reserve. Loyalty just tanks, but I dgaf.

Rodriguez manages, despite missing two races, to top charts as Racer number 1, Ho was 9th, team placed third.

Manager of the year, all my parts maxed on Rel, and perf.

Spend all the money on the new car.

Just max that SOB out.

Two days before car finishes, get mail from Chair asking for target.

Fire Ho, promote Rod to 1 and Chilean to 2.

Slam that 1st place team button.

Car finishes with 11 days till Black Sea.

All parts are Reliability 35-40% E: Cept the stock wings, hardly matters, I've had those tank from 70% to 0 out of loving nowhere.

:what:

Well, that's uh... kind of bullshit. You kept my perf increases, but apparently decided playing basketball with the engine was an acceptable offseason activity.

I figure, well, I guess I'll try, seems kinda beginner's trappy to ask for my target before I can see that, but whatevs, I have Rod.

Black Sea race day. Right out the gate, Chilean is slammed into a wall by the 15th placer and is out.

Rod takes first, however and holds it.

Rod is coming in for second lap finish.

Passes Pit entrance.

All 6 parts break.

Esc -> Quit to Desktop.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 28, 2016

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Congrats, you've become Frank Williams. Just remember that not every issue in the car won't be found out without substantial work. Besides, your season has only started so you can figure out a suitable strategy to fight back.

Triple A fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 28, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Did the parts break or just go redzone if they went redzone, yolo and run them till they turn into slag.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

2 were redzone, 4 were 0% ( I think, it was a mix, the car was useless though ). The car just slugged for the couple seconds I watched before just quitting.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

StealthArcher posted:

2 were redzone, 4 were 0% ( I think, it was a mix, the car was useless though ). The car just slugged for the couple seconds I watched before just quitting.

And the consistency of your driver?

As for the wing tanking, your driver probably got clipped or left his braking point way too late so it got busted up in someone else's car.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
With my ability to shitpost curtailed recently I played the game a drat lot.
It's great.

I started with Predator as politico at the bottom but got bored driving at the back after a season and applied to WMC Scuderia and Van Dort. The former rejected me and the latter accepted. They had just hired not-Kimi and instead of not-Hulkenberg as driver. He got me a bunch of unexpected podiums.

Five years later in an absolutely dominating season despite having "only" the fourth best car:

Pascal btw only won that championship because in the latter half of the season Ribeiro decided to focus on his new music career.

After that I decided I needed a new challenge in 2022 and picked Kitano because they had been dropping in and out of WMC for years. I was surprised to see the problems the AI has because that one million base income from the car factory is unbelievably great. Then I saw the AI ruined my championship winning Van Dort with retarded driver and staff changes. Which is a big problem really. I've seen two of the best drivers, De Graaf and Surikov get hired by poo poo backmarker teams and stay there forever. Also I've seen a single Race Engineer work at three different teams pre-season.

Anyway I joined Kitano right when they were delegated to Asia Pacific again and had to rebuild the entire team.
The biggest coup was finding a gem of a driver: Rookie Olga Makarova, age 26.

I put her in the car in the last nine AP races and she was not only on the podium in all nine but won eight of them.
Easy championship, back in WMC for 2023. gently caress yeah.

2023:
Car was dog poo poo, rated eighth and I expected to scrape at the bottom for points. Chose 8th as goal.
Olga dragged the car to THIRD in the championship.

Now, I don't remember if this is the 2023 or 2024 car but it's almost as bad as the livery:

2024:
Chose to be third in championship again; decided to waste the first half of the year to build up the engine to best or second best. Got podiums regularly while Lipponen won six races.
Second half of the year I concentrated on rear wings and won the last seven races straight. I was behind a single point before the last race.

That was a very unexpected championship.

2025: Slightly better car, better result. Aero on car still poo poo.

FWIW, Enriqua Lara is very good. That she is a pay driver is just a bonus; I don't need the money. Just don't hire her in lower leagues because she is a bit greedy.

2026:
I want to switch to a different team, get rejected by all of them, forced to stay at Kitano. Alas, Olga stopped improving. Played two races and decided to start a new game as French engineer with Thorton instead.

But that is a different story of trying to escape the bottom. On that note, different engines need to set a different minimum power so you do not have to spend money during season to get out of having the worst engine on grid.

quote:

Did the parts break or just go redzone if they went redzone, yolo and run them till they turn into slag.

Supposedly red zone means they can fail at any time. Very risky.

quote:

Play as Donald Drumph, Financial Wizard, manager of Dragon Motorsports.

Play 100% in character.

Biggest rear end in a top hat to current drivers.

The real "Drumph" is big on loyalty. You're just an rear end in a top hat, mate.

quote:

I do hope there's a cap to the "new base stat" level though? I started season one with a 9 effectiveness gearbox or something like that. I think I now have something over 200 at the end of the second season. If, given enough time, it can grow infinitely high or to the same cap as the higher leagues then that would completely kill the sense of progression.

Yes, when you get moved to a different tier the base stats are matched so you are competitive.

quote:

All parts are Reliability 35-40%

Yeah, new season parts are very bad. You need to get them to ~75% to last a race. There's some exploit to improve the reliability pre-season. Check one of the steam guides.

VV Please derail a different thread.

Riso fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 29, 2016

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
^^Defend somebody worth a goddamn.

Riso posted:

The real "Drumph" is big on loyalty. You're just an rear end in a top hat, mate

Somebody's touchy about their senpai.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 29, 2016

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Riso posted:

Yeah, new season parts are very bad. You need to get them to ~75% to last a race. There's some exploit to improve the reliability pre-season. Check one of the steam guides.

Thanks mate, I'll check those out.

Also:

Playstation 4 posted:

^^Defend somebody worth a goddamn.

Somebody's touchy about their senpai.

loving lol, this. "rear end in a top hat" is the character, unless loyalty to Steve Bannon is a positive and I just forgot.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Middle of third season now. Gave Valdes the boot because he was not improving (stuck at 3 stars out of 4 potentially) and cashing in 400k per race. Hired a 18 year old Ted Santore instead at just under three stars, potential to have four and a quarter. Guy asks for 140k per race, is progressing a lot faster than Valdes was based on the numbers and his sponsors pay me 200k per race. Pretty good deal, so far.

In other news, playing as Politico is lots of fun. I'm going to turn the European championship into a Full Spec series unless I get promoted out. Fully contemplating the option of tanking a few races to ensure I don't. Last season's vote was Spec Engines, this season Gearboxes are coming up. Meaning next season there's only going to be brakes and suspension to eat up my construction budget. And soon after nothing at all if the right pieces keep coming up for voting.

Who's got the second worst car now, asshats :smug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I kind of wish you could start out in a totally spec series so you can focus on just figuring out races and whatnot without also having to do parts and research. Like if I could start out in a Formula Ford or something.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

God my ERS series is voting for spec engines this season. If it passes, it'll mean all I have left to build would be suspension and gearing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Should I be spending time building parts? Because it seems like building a part gives me something technically good but it breaks two times per race and I've been doing better with just improving the default parts. I've also lost over a million bucks on an engine that failed scrutineering.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cojawfee posted:

Should I be spending time building parts? Because it seems like building a part gives me something technically good but it breaks two times per race and I've been doing better with just improving the default parts. I've also lost over a million bucks on an engine that failed scrutineering.

Yes and shockingly enough you have to improve the reliability to avoid problems. Personally I stopped building risky parts because I don't want to be demoted.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So what's the strategy on that then? Build a part and then leave it out of the car and improve it over a couple races and then install it?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Or focus on just that one part ahead of the race. And there are always special abilities to increase reliability.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Lipponen is just tanking my team's marketability to get any good sponsors, gaaaawd

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love the risky part mechanic of this game.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Started a career with Predator at the bottom of the ERS. Came in 6th in the first season with Rodriques and Santa Anna, assumed that 4th was a reasonable goal for the next season as I would have an upgraded factory. Currently in 7th place with 3 races left in the season. That's racing I suppose.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Looks like the hotfix is out. There is also a free DLC with new livery designs, some of which look pretty neat

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Q: How do you define a dominant season in the game?
A:

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

A shameful Beijing. Nice, otherwise.

Meanwhile, I had been talking about potentially tanking a race or two in my third season. With some help from the spec stuff I had already voted in, some help from the two extra stars to tire wear we lucked out with at the beginning of the season and some help from weather, we (ZRT Autosport) instead proceeded to take double podiums three races in a row plus a solo victory in the fourth. Black Sea was a complete disaster, but didn't stop the drivers taking 1st and 2nd in the championship and the team victory by some thirty or forty points. To the Cup it is I suppose.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Before moving up a tier you should make sure you have plenty of money around. Unless you are a manufacturer like Kitano it's going to be driving at the back of the field.

Also I really have to say the most important thing in the game is signing a top driver.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Bentai posted:

God my ERS series is voting for spec engines this season. If it passes, it'll mean all I have left to build would be suspension and gearing.
Fuckers passed spec engines. Was tied, Ernie Hecklerock voted for spec. :argh:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That's nothing. Idiots voted in points for top five only in my game.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Resumed my AMR save and due to the development bug my car is total poo poo. Slow is fine but it is also super unreliable. I may restarted anew because I won't last the season otherwise....sacked by AMR...

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

On the plus side, I finished the 2020 season with Sergio Valdes 4 points shy of the drivers championship, and thanks to a lucky podium finish for Shen Qi, ZRT Autosport took the team championship. I declined the promotion to the Asian series to try and build up some funds to get a couple buildings upgraded.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Bentai posted:

Fuckers passed spec engines. Was tied, Ernie Hecklerock voted for spec. :argh:

I just started a game as the Scuderia and that very thing happened to me. On one hand I am happy because I don't have to spend 1.5 mill each time I want a better engine but on the other I am a manufacturer :argh:

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Riso posted:

That's nothing. Idiots voted in points for top five only in my game.

This happened to me too, and they voted for the shortest qualifying session length. Was a nightmare trying to get points with the second worst car on the grid. Two seasons later the vote for points for the top eight is finally coming up but I have a really good car now so I might vote against it.

If you don't want to have lovely reliability on all of your parts in the first race of the season, go to the 'home' tab (furthest left) once you start developing your new car and there should be a button right in the middle of the page that will get you to the 'improve parts' interface that you are locked out of on the 'car' tab. I imagine this will get patched out at some point. If you have a ton of money kicking around you can even develop new parts during the off-season, they will have poo poo stats since they will be based on your current car but it lets you start out building parts at the second quality tier once the new car is finished.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got my first win with BMR :rms: Not sure how but I held on. One stopped a race and by the end my tyres were hosed and the second placed car was catching me at a rate of 5sec/lap

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't understand why cars that have run out of fuel don't just stop. It's a pain when some races have a few and they just trundle around the track blocking you or costing positions.
I'm also starting to see why people are so mad about the blue flag situation

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I managed to win the Constructors Championship with Archer BMR in Season 4. Season 5 and I'm losing half a million a race in the Asia-Pacific series and the car isn't competitive. Welp!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

The sponsors or bust thing is kicking my rear end as well.

Development fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 4, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The AI is so pants on retarded with their driver signings I may have to stop playing the game.

In my most recent Scuderia game, Steinmann didn't retain Chapman because he signed with Windsor instead. Now Steinmann has no competitive driver and Chapman not a competitive car.

I don't rate Holtz because she didn't pose a threat to Wexler last time. At least Panther has kept their top drivers but they are only the third best car on the grid. I also just signed De Graaf who incidentally was dropped by the AI in favour of Flores due to a rivalry with his team mate.

Usually at that point De Graaf is signed by some team who just joined from Asia-Pacific and will stay there for the next ten years driving at the back of the field..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Right now, the next thing I want to see in this game are new tracks and maybe one more championship to add right at the bottom for 4 bangers in whichever area hasn't been explored yet.

• Locked thread