Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astronautism
Oct 3, 2002
Hay hay!

So Hollandaise is one of my favorite things, but for some reason it breaks towards the end for me about 50% of the time. This is heartbreaking when I've got steaks resting or eggs poached that are just waiting to be doused in wonderfulness.

The method I use is:
- ratio is 1 egg per 1/2 stick of butter (usually three eggs, 1.5 sticks)
- whisk eggs with a dash of water in a stainless steel bowl over boiling water until the whisk leaves trails in the egg
- whisk in a tablespoon of softened butter at a time until it is incorporated
- don't stop whisking
- whisk in lemon juice
- keep whisking
- cry when it breaks or rejoice when it stays stable

:negative: - "There's got to be a better way!!!!"

What's the secret? Is my ratio off? I don't have a standing blender, FWIW. I've got a food processor and an immersion wand if that expands my possibilities.

I don't think I'm adding the butter too quickly... I make sure it's fully incorporated until I add the next pat. I hear differing things when searching around, and I have much more faith in SA randos over internet randos.

Also, solutions for fixing a broken hollandaise would be most welcome. Some say boiling water, some say another egg yolk, some say just beating the poo poo out of it. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWzVV_XrcM

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I've spent a while working on my Hollandaise, and I think I've finally gotten the recipe and method where I like it to be.

- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp sugar (I usually just estimate and add to taste near the end)
- 8 oz. butter
- about 4 tbsp lemon juice (I usually just juice a small lemon and it's estimated again)
- cayenne pepper to taste (I like adding this for a little extra flavor)
- kosher salt to taste

Method:

Whisk the yolks until they lighten in color a little. Add the cayenne and a little salt.

I actually do this directly on the stovetop. It's tricky, but efficient. Turn the heat to medium-ish and whisk the yolks constantly. I use an IR thermometer to monitor the temp. You want to get it up to about 140 F, but you do it enough and you'll learn the exact consistency and color.

Reduce the temperature a little. Add the butter 2 Tbsp at a time as 2x 1 Tbsp. chunks. Make sure the butter is COLD, then it will melt slower and incorporate more easily into the sauce. WHISK CONSTANTLY, it's really dangerous using direct heat, it's really easy to slip up and curdle your yolks.

While you do this, alternate having the saucepan on the burner or on a towel on the counter. You'll get the hang of the rhythm, but you're aiming to keep it at about 120 F.

Once you've added half the butter, add 1-2 Tbsp of lemon juice very slowly and whisk very quickly.

Then add the rest of the butter in the same way. After it's all incorporated, add the sugar, then add the rest of the cayenne and salt and lemon juice to taste (usually another Tbsp or so).

I had similar problems to you when trying to do this via double boiler. Direct heat is tricky and dangerous, but I've found when you get the hang of it you do have finer control over the temperature.

It's also really helpful to add the lemon juice in two batches, and drizzle it in really slowly while you whisk fast. If you have an IR thermometer, it's really handy until you get the hang of it, as keeping a pretty stable temperature is also a factor. That goes for the butter, especially.....like I said, if it's cold it will melt slower and have less chance of breaking the sauce by adding too much fat too quickly.

That's everything I can think of. Hope that helps!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Correct answer

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Holy crap I love Hollandaise but it's a bitch. Definitely trying this. I will get so fat off it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, blender or stick blender Hollandaise is the only way to go.

And if it's broken, put an egg yolk or two in a clean stick blender cup and start blending, then slowly add the broken, nasty hollandaise and it will come back together beautifully.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Pretty much. I've seen it done in a blender, too.

Fast Eddie
Feb 9, 2007
When I do it, I usually add the acid at the same time as the eggs. Otherwise I use the same method you do. Also I watch it like a hawk while finishing any additional prep, and give it a stir once in awhile. You could try doing that, it might make a difference.

Otherwise you seriously can't go wrong doing it in a blender. I just usually do it by hand because I'm wierd and I think it's fun.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah -- can confirm, worked in a place for 3 years with steak frites -- so I made hollandaise pretty much 5 days a week for many years, and we always used a vitamix. I just f-fwd'd through the video, so hopefully the recipe is using a vinegar reduction for some flavor (the OP was saying using some water to start, but a vinegar redux [with or without tarragon]) would be much more flavorful.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I always use clarified butter but I don't know how that would affect the breaking of the sauce. I think it should help because the butter doesn't have the milk fats.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

lifts cats over head posted:

I always use clarified butter but I don't know how that would affect the breaking of the sauce. I think it should help because the butter doesn't have the milk fats.

That's the "correct" way to do it, but I haven't seen a noticeable difference. Then again, I've somehow only broken the sauce once or twice, so maybe I'm a wizard or something :iiam:

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
Could it be that you're heating it too much after it's done? Mine has never gone bad unless I mess up the start (usually overheating it since I skip the water bath).

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

lifts cats over head posted:

It's actually the opposite, as you're breaking one emulsion to use one part to create another emulsion, and removing water content that would stabilize the ratio of fat to water. It's the classic technique though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Trying this

goodness fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 24, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nthing this method, it's the only way I bother with hollandaise these days.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Dr. Klas posted:

Could it be that you're heating it too much after it's done? Mine has never gone bad unless I mess up the start (usually overheating it since I skip the water bath).

I'm guessing this is the problem. I use a ceramic bowl, and take it off of the heat as soon as I start to see the whisk trails. The bowl and melted butter stay warm enough to finish the job.

If I'm stuck using steel, like at someone else's house, I still usually take it off once I see trails and only put it back on the heat if it hasn't quite thickened enough. If it starts to turn, you can save it with a shot of cold water whisked in immediately.

You only need to get the yolks to a temperature that they will accept the butter. Once you're there, the easiest way to stay there is to stop adding energy.

In terms of ratio, I've found two yolks will happily emulsify a large amount of butter. So far my record is enough to make two-egg bennies for six people.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I went with using an immersion blender in an insulated steel coffee mug... first whipping the egg yolks with a bit of water, then pouring the melted butter in slowly, then finally adding the lemon juice. It's been pretty foolproof thus far. Done both béarnaise and hollandaise with this method and 100% success rate thus far. It even stays stable in the fridge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
We always use a blender at home. Add eggs and lemon (no water in our recipe) and then turn the blender on and add (microwaved) melted butter in a thin stream. It's nearly foolproof.

• Locked thread