Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The election is over; the people attending the protest either voted or didn't but are presumably aware of the Democratic party. Recruitment isn't about gaining 'votes', it's about gaining workers for an organization with a longer-term goal that needs people to push, and maintaining morale is about keeping them. Activists burn out all the loving time and preventing that is at least as important as reaching out to new people.
So your contention is that there exists a set of people willing and able to work for your cause, but between now and when their efforts would actually matter, which is sooner than the next election, they will become disheartened, and the thing that will prevent them from being disheartened is the President going to Camp David, possibly with no relation to when the President goes to Camp David, and when their efforts will matter, which again is plainly prior to next election. And further as such we must protest, because our protest may cause the President to go to Camp David, which may encourage otherwise willing workers, and some actual unspecified effect on reality is reliant on that particular body of workers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sure why not

bearbaiter
May 30, 2011

twodot posted:

So your contention is that there exists a set of people willing and able to work for your cause, but between now and when their efforts would actually matter, which is sooner than the next election, they will become disheartened, and the thing that will prevent them from being disheartened is the President going to Camp David, possibly with no relation to when the President goes to Camp David, and when their efforts will matter, which again is plainly prior to next election. And further as such we must protest, because our protest may cause the President to go to Camp David, which may encourage otherwise willing workers, and some actual unspecified effect on reality is reliant on that particular body of workers?

who in the world would ever feel their struggle validated at having the leader of the free world react to their angry sign and repeated chanting and gently caress off in a giant helicopter to their isolated forest retreat?

instead, they should forever march on in their efforts, unfeeling leftist ubermensch above the petty whims of emotion and existential ennui, progressing forward against all adversity without question and without regard for the needs of mere mortal men. they should be more like me, something awful dot com forums user twodot

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

I'm of the opinion that Moderate Riots work better because protests don't get covered at all/are a pain to organize but if one (1) brick gets thrown into the window of a CVS or whatever, the subject is covered for days and there is (a lot of the time) some meaningful dialog.

The incentives are skewed.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

plenty of reasons to already protest in the streets, but is this thread targeted at all the people who normally decry protests because of the way they are mildly inconvenienced by them?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

joeburz posted:

plenty of reasons to already protest in the streets, but is this thread targeted at all the people who normally decry protests because of the way they are mildly inconvenienced by them?

I was thinking "people who haven't felt strongly enough about something to attend a protest in the past," but that could also be a motivation I guess.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

joeburz posted:

The bolded isn't entirely accurate. If I'm joining a protest, it's because I'm willing and knowing that I'm likely to be arrested, beaten and possibly killed in the process. I can't do that in my current situation, as I'm responsible for my child and disabled wife. If something ever happens to them? My life is suddenly worth more as a martyr or prisoner for a good cause. Weaponize that white privilege.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Talmonis posted:

The bolded isn't entirely accurate. If I'm joining a protest, it's because I'm willing and knowing that I'm likely to be arrested, beaten and possibly killed in the process. I can't do that in my current situation, as I'm responsible for my child and disabled wife. If something ever happens to them? My life is suddenly worth more as a martyr or prisoner for a good cause. Weaponize that white privilege.

Martyrdom actually requires a much greater degree of personal courage than it takes to stand out on the sidewalk and yell a bit with a couple hundred likeminded people. What you're talking about is just, like, socialization, and you're using your disabled wife as a shield to escape it.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 12, 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Your life will never be worth much and you'll never be a martyr, because martyrdom requires a greater degree of personal courage than it takes to stand out on the sidewalk and yell a bit with a couple hundred likeminded people. Way to use your disabled wife as a shield to avoid, like, socialization.

I don't see that form of protest as effective, so I don't do it. Fear of "socialization" doesn't come into it. Blocking bridges, shutting down traffic completely and other non-violent, but financially disruptive protest has proven to be much more effective, but requires people willing to be arrested for it. I currently donate material and funds instead.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Talmonis posted:

You misunderstand, there's a number of people across the forum and in this very thread that decry protests that cause traffic increases not because of the risk to the people in it, but that their commute is slightly longer.

That's who the statement is pointed at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

joeburz posted:

You misunderstand, there's a number of people across the forum and in this very thread that decry protests that cause traffic increases not because of the risk to the people in it, but that their commute is slightly longer.

That's who the statement is pointed at.

I was actually one of those. It is annoying to the average person, which is the point of protest in general. The hope is that the average person then puts pressure on their leadership to deal with the problem. Ideally without violent crackdowns.

• Locked thread