Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Getsuya posted:

I think it'd be cool to do that in posts, either by you folks or bring in someone who can speak to the faults of each game and have them make an info-dump post about some of the 'worst of' for that game.
Ah yes, I'd be more than happy to prattle on about Pirate101/Toontown/Warframe if you end up going that route.

Edit: I just remembered that Warframe will have a music-themed frame sometime Soon™, so Darcy can actually use their sick bars to fight for peace or whatever. :v:

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cartoon Violence posted:

This is genuinely some good feedback. We both do want to do our best to please everyone, but it may be that what we're doing is quite what you're looking for. We try to avoid any in-jokes that we feel others wouldn't get, so I'll be sure to improve on that. In fact, I'll do my best to take into account everything you said in future recordings. I guess if we were to compare what we were aiming for with something from the forums, it'd be the "20 Years of Sonic / 30 Years of Mario" guys or the two doing the entire Final Fantasy library. I have no idea if we succeed at being like those groups, but that's what we were aiming for.
I've been avoiding recording character creation and the tutorial because I tend to actually concentrate on the game during those and felt it wouldn't make good watching material if it was us tweaking characters and learning controls for half an hour.
But you're right, we really should talk more about the mechanics themselves, and I think we'll improve on that in coming recordings. There's still several videos that have already been recorded that will be coming out, but I do want to do everything I can to improve our work. Thank you for being honest, and that applies to everyone in the thread who's given feedback so far. :)

Neato, it's good to know my feedback is taken on board and isn't just regarded as :goonsay:

I brought up the more structured suggestion because after the first two episodes I felt like your commentary most mostly disconnected from the actual game you were playing and could easily be done over any other video game with little change. I wasn't and do not expect full reviews of each MMO you pick up for this thread, but I think if you are going to make this basically a sampler box of various MMO's (be they good or bad) some info on what the game is, how it plays and, the bits and pieces that make up an MMO rather than say any generic action-adventure game are important to have otherwise it videos just end up being seemingly random banter over the top of a barely connected video.

Pear-Drop
Mar 14, 2015

It's anime not animes you baka.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Ah yes, I'd be more than happy to prattle on about Pirate101/Toontown/Warframe if you end up going that route.

Edit: I just remembered that Warframe will have a music-themed frame sometime Soon™, so Darcy can actually use their sick bars to fight for peace or whatever. :v:

You got me excited for a game I've never played, any game where I can fight with my bars is an instant 10/10 for me.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Eevee's mention of strong fashion has reminded me to request Guild Wars 2. Fair warning, you'll want to roll the same race if you want to group up without a lot of trouble.

Also, purely for schadenfreude, Wildstar. :getin:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
You could also try running an bit on Elder Scrolls Online.

The game that disappointed everyone.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gridlocked posted:

You could also try running an bit on Elder Scrolls Online.

The game that disappointed everyone.

What happened to that, by the way? I'd heard it bombed, but I was never into Elder Scrolls enough to find out exactly why.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

CommissarMega posted:

What happened to that, by the way? I'd heard it bombed, but I was never into Elder Scrolls enough to find out exactly why.

It disappointed everyone with its dodgy mechanics, patchy story and lack of any real end game content. (at least early on)

The way I see it is that the MMO genre stands in 5 pillars:

• Character Creation and Mechanics - That is options for character customization (ascetic and mechanical), class/skills/equipment variety, are all fights the same or are there variations, how extreme are those variations; that sort of thing.

• Plot Progression - That is something pushing your experience of the game forward. Doesn't have to be story related but something that is the driving force for you, the player, to move onto the next zone or next level and see the next piece of the game.

• The Leveling Experience - That is the progression of the game from when you start till you hit "max level" (or if there is no max level when you get into the upper tiers of the game). What is the rate you are fed new skills/equipment, how is character progression measured, is it a slow or fast process, is the game a grind-fest or is it progressed smoothly via "quests" and the like.

• The End Game Experience - That is what content is available once you have hit the "max level" or the equivalent there of. What is there to do once you are caped, is there new content here that is unacceptable until you get here, is there further progress to be made separate from "leveling" if so how is it implemented, is THIS experience grindy or a more smooth experience.

• The Social Experience - That is what social interaction is facilitated and/or required by the game. Can you do most things alone or do you need to play in a group, how does the game support group play, are there ways to connect with people in the game, how does the game help facilitate this.

Now you can profile many MMOs based on what "style" of MMO they are. Are they the Asian-style MMO that traditionally features that anime-cartoon look, has a heavy focus on grinding during the leveling process and the "end game" typically being something obtained during leveling whit no hard cap to new content (that is repetitive action typically drip feeding progress) and a weaker focus on story/plot? Are they a Western-style MMO that tries to lessen the grind during the leveling process, pushes end game content as the major part of the game and tries to tie the story in more? Which I would be happy to get into discussions over but will save that for future posts.

ESO hit hard on the story (being an Elder Scrolls game) and the leveling content wasn't painfully grindy but the mechanics were weak (class abilities were drip fed and not terribly expansive beyond what you got into early on) and the end game content was non-existent so when you hit max level/finished your factions story you options were that somewhat buggy Emperor PvP thingy or go and do another factions story to see what it was like.

That being said I only played the beta and the first free week of the game. I do not know how much has changed since release besides hearing it's gone to an F2P model (which itself lends more assumptions that can be profiled with it)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Yapping Eevee posted:

i seriously doubt they're going to be able to get that frame with an hour or two clocked.

Ed: Unless they buy it of course.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Gridlocked posted:

That being said I only played the beta and the first free week of the game. I do not know how much has changed since release besides hearing it's gone to an F2P model (which itself lends more assumptions that can be profiled with it)
ESO is like the FF MMOs, in that it got majorly overhauled after a while and became much better. It's a solid use of free time, I think.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Eevee's mention of strong fashion has reminded me to request Guild Wars 2. Fair warning, you'll want to roll the same race if you want to group up without a lot of trouble.
GW2 does indeed have strong fashion game, but it's also the completionist's nightmare. I really must get back to it.

The Oldest Man posted:

i seriously doubt they're going to be able to get that frame with an hour or two clocked.

Ed: Unless they buy it of course.
Or say, have someone gift it to them for the purposes of finally fulfilling a running joke. ;) God only knows when said frame comes out though.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
I dunno what it was about GW2 when I played it but I never played any MMO that felt more like grinding than that game did. Something about the lack of traditional quests, I think. And the way the story quests are level gated so every couple of story things the game goes 'now go away and find more experience somewhere', and the only way of doing that is just running around doing random poo poo, some of which occasionally gives you a shiny thing if you do enough of it. And also the way skills work, I ended up unlocking all the ones I actually wanted maybe halfway to the level cap so after that it was just 'oh yay, unlocked another thing I'll never use..'

I did like the jumping puzzles they had, though. Only MMO I've ever played that managed to make jumping puzzles fun.

Also? GW2 isn't actually free to play, I thought? You still have to buy it, just doesn't require a subscription once you do.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Lizard Wizard posted:

I haven't played in a bit, but I'm pretty sure every new character gets one teleport waypoint in each race starting area unlocked automatically now, so grouping up shouldn't be a problem.

General Maximus posted:

Also? GW2 isn't actually free to play, I thought? You still have to buy it, just doesn't require a subscription once you do.
You no longer have to buy base game (there are some restrictions on free accounts though).

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Warframe is cool and good. My avatar proves this. :v:

It's a fun game, but it has some quirks that might not make it entirely suitable for this series. It has some... barriers to entry on cool stuff. Joining the goon clan is highly recommended if you end up trying it anyway, as they'll help you out a lot.

Oh, and Warframe's fashion game is strong.

The current chit-chatty stuff is nice, and I think it works fine for you. But hey, if people want to know about mechanics, there's always the chance to type up stuff in your update posts! Just any general explanations or reactions you didn't get time to express on video, that sort of thing. That might be one way to do it.

Another would be to bring in someone knowledgeable about each game, but that would tamper with the dynamic you two have going on, so probably not.

Warframe was super fun when I played it, and Darcy would probably like it too since Mass Effect sparked their love of space-based shooters of all sorts. It is sad we wouldn't be able to start with music-themed Warframe, but if we end up doing it, buying it might be something we consider, especially if Darcy loves the game outside of the LP. Only reason I never got heavily into it was I was lacking a second person to play with, heh.

We're more than willing to expand on mechanics or game info a bit more, and we'll make sure we don't sacrifice the relaxed atmosphere either. I'm all up for saying a bit more about the game in coming recordings. Typing up stuff in my update posts is actually a really good idea, and -

Getsuya posted:

(If you ever do Otherland I'd love to whine all about it either in post or vocal format)

Yapping Eevee posted:

We talked about it, and we definitely would love to have a third person on occasionally if they were knowledgeable about a game or simply knew about the myriad of things to talk about in it. It wouldn't be a regular thing, but if anyone wanted to volunteer their knowledge / hatred / love of a game we're playing, we'd love to have you!

Lizard Wizard posted:

We luckily already own paid versions of GW2, so doing that will be easy peasy. I've got to agree with General Maximus, as much fun as I have playing it, something about it always felt grindy to me, despite ArenaNet going out of its way to eliminate grind and respond to criticism about grinding. Maybe it is that I'm used to linearity in MMOs, but I do have a love for GW2 regardless.
Wildstar on the other hand, hoo boy, that one will be "fun" ::v:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cartoon Violence posted:

We luckily already own paid versions of GW2, so doing that will be easy peasy. I've got to agree with General Maximus, as much fun as I have playing it, something about it always felt grindy to me, despite ArenaNet going out of its way to eliminate grind and respond to criticism about grinding. Maybe it is that I'm used to linearity in MMOs, but I do have a love for GW2 regardless.
Wildstar on the other hand, hoo boy, that one will be "fun" ::v:

The Grind doesn't have to be the leveling up-by-killing-500-boars system. ArenaNet move it out of the leveling experience and into the collection of end game cosmetics and other stuff.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I'm gonna make a recommendation for Skyforge, since every person I mention it to forgets it exists about 3 weeks after hearing about it, even though they seem to think it looks cool.

Also spiral knights, because that game is actually playable these days.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Id be so down to play with everyone in this thread in Guild Wars 2 but man I just wanna make houses in Wildstar.

also I will be the angry guy for just about any mmo I mentioned and FF14 and WoW even though I don't have a lot of experience.

Zoig posted:

SPIRAL KNIGHTS~!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
If you arent afraid of Chinese characters and are a loving weeb have I got a F2P MMO Tactical Shooter for you!

Mobile Suit Gundam Online! The Taiwan server doesn't require a VPN to connect to, and you too can use lovely grunt suits to shoot down other lovely grunt suits.

Uniquely, there are a few ways to get new suits, and all of them are horribly RNG reliant, even the options that cost you real life money.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Uniquely, there are a few ways to get new suits, and all of them are horribly RNG reliant, even the options that cost you real life money.

Isn't the whole appeal of having to pay for content in a F2P that you get that content by paying for it in the first place? Or is it like Cryptic's lockboxes, random crapshoots for rewards on a gambling system?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Dinictus posted:

Isn't the whole appeal of having to pay for content in a F2P that you get that content by paying for it in the first place? Or is it like Cryptic's lockboxes, random crapshoots for rewards on a gambling system?

This is a game made in Japan, originally only for the Japanese market. So lockboxes? Baby mode.

Let me introduce you to the GASHACON.

https://sites.google.com/site/msgoenglish/_/rsrc/1405654524325/gameplay/gashacon/dxgasha.jpg

There are a total of 150 rolls in your average DX Gashacon, which is the one you pay real money for. Approximately 10 of these rolls are things of note, and only two are the "featured" suits you roll on it for. Thankfully, each roll takes whatever result you get out of the Gashacon, so you dont need to roll forever.

In order to get multiples of the featured suits (The Mallet Sanguine Action Zaku and the Efreet, in that picture), you must reset the entire gashacon and start over at 150.

The rest are in game powerups you can buy with in game money, and regular suits that are essentially the mookiest of the mook suits.

There are also other Gashacons, such as one that you buy tickets for with in game money. The in game money one has no removal upon roll, and thus you can roll over and over and never get a single thing you want.

There are also Event Gashacons which give you tickets based on how many games you play, which also have a limit. Event suits range from garbo to pretty good.

fishception fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 22, 2016

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

This game is my kind of fun, and I hope it's all of yours, too!

Trying to find out info about this game was harder than I thought. A quick look up told me it was a Korean MMO called Queen's Blade and that the name change probably had to do with there already being a franchise called that. Doing fast Google searches mostly brings up articles from free MMO aggregators that seem genuinely disappointed in its closing, including comments from people who were, no joke, upset that the game wouldn't be around for them to play one handed anymore.

As a Rock, Paper, Shotgun article puts it, Scarlet Blade didn't have any false advertising and it accomplished exactly what it set out to do: Combine Korean MMO grinding with ridiculous oversexualized caricatures. You get exactly what you expect and nothing more or less. The combat is typical tab-targetting and rotation-based, there's click to move and auto-pathing for quests, and there's boobs. Lots and lots of boobs. There's apparently some features like leveling up giving you pieces of a puzzle to make hentai pictures or something like that, but we didn't get far enough to experience any of those joys.

I have no idea who the Vendetta Gaming Network are, really, other than they host private servers of dead F2P MMO's. For some reason, they decided Scarlet Blade was worth the money and trouble of setting up, and that's how we managed to play the game for this recording. I'm also not sure how Aeria Games is okay with it, but it's not like Vendetta is going to make much money from the 2 other people we saw playing when we were online.

Other than that, we've got nothing else to say for Scarlet Blade. Enjoy the video!

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
The other, pedophilia mmo.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

InfinityComplex posted:

I thought there were more than two?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cartoon Violence posted:

There's apparently some features like leveling up giving you pieces of a puzzle to make hentai pictures or something like that

Yes, yes there was. Leveling up let you uncover a section of a picture at set intervals, and you got some items for each square. The pictures were of NPCs and "concept" art. One was an NPC, who was characterized as a massive womanizing playboy (he repeatedly tries to seduce the character you control), with multiple naked women draped over him. This picture was also cropped and used as his dialog image.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
There's a reason Scarlet Blade should've stayed dead :doh:

I'm still interested to see what you two think of Shaiya from Aeria (if you choose to do so). It's crummy, no question, but one of the few piece of poo poo F2Ps that I actually gave some attention to.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
I guess Scarlet Blade's great downfall was that better quality MMOs and better quality porn was always just a few clicks away.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Hi, you seem to have titled the video (1/2)? I'm sure this is a mistake and I hope my pointing it out doesn't cause you any anguish as you realise you accidentally implied you were going to play more Scarlet Blade.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Scarlet Blade... Wow, that's just shameful. Everything about that was terrible, including ripping off GW2 really badly.

InfinityComplex posted:

You're going to have to be more specific.

Which reminds me, I notice that no one has dared suggest playing TERA. :v: The gameplay itself is fun, but it does that thing where one of the races are 1000-year-olds that look like little girls. :cripes:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yapping Eevee posted:

You're going to have to be more specific.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Okay, point taken. :v:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Sorry about giving a massive dump on the intricacies of the gambling system on MSGO. If the LPer is still interested in giving it a shot, theres a goon community that can help him get started.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I guess Scarlet Blade's great downfall was that better quality MMOs and better quality porn was always just a few clicks away.

:five:

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Hi, you seem to have titled the video (1/2)? I'm sure this is a mistake and I hope my pointing it out doesn't cause you any anguish as you realise you accidentally implied you were going to play more Scarlet Blade.

Oh poo poo.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Which reminds me, I notice that no one has dared suggest playing TERA. :v: The gameplay itself is fun, but it does that thing where one of the races are 1000-year-olds that look like little girls. :cripes:

TERA was Darcy's very first MMO, and the nightmares still come to them to this day. I remember playing with them and actually reading the quest descriptions and dying inside. So yeah, sure, sounds fun!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So if you guys already know Tera is bad that means you won't have to LP it right?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Cartoon Violence posted:

TERA was Darcy's very first MMO, and the nightmares still come to them to this day. I remember playing with them and actually reading the quest descriptions and dying inside. So yeah, sure, sounds fun!
TERA's problem is that while its combat is cool, graphics are great and many of the cosmetics are wonderfully silly, all of that is marred by various terrible things related to female characters. The stipperific armour for female Castanics, the little animal girls, the amount of female-only cosmetics (including school uniforms)... and now new classes that are race/gender restricted. (None of which are male-only, I can assure you.)

It's a game I used to play, but now look back on with great disappointment. If you can ignore the skeevy stuff, the gameplay is fun... but it would have been so much better without that stuff being there in the first place.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cartoon Violence posted:

Oh poo poo.

So when are you guys gonna do EVE? :3:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Yapping Eevee posted:

TERA's problem is that while its combat is cool, graphics are great and many of the cosmetics are wonderfully silly, all of that is marred by various terrible things related to female characters. The stipperific armour for female Castanics, the little animal girls, the amount of female-only cosmetics (including school uniforms)... and now new classes that are race/gender restricted. (None of which are male-only, I can assure you.)

It's a game I used to play, but now look back on with great disappointment. If you can ignore the skeevy stuff, the gameplay is fun... but it would have been so much better without that stuff being there in the first place.

Maybe not quite the right question for this thread, but are there any MMO's out there that have similar combat? I've always wanted to try TERA because it looks pretty fun, but at the same time I've always wanted to not try TERA because of the skeevy stuff.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Zoig posted:

I remember this game and am suprised that it's still around, I remember having fun with bombs until the damage on them couldn't keep up. Mind this was early in the games life so I have no idea how its like now.

Want to give a tl:dr on what has changed since the early days? I kinda remember it being pretty pay-to-grind with the energy system that let you go to the dungeons.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I know I stopped playing spiral knights right around the time I think it took a sharp turn into "Pay to Progress" territory. If I recall, gear had to be made via recipes; drops from enemies were just the materials to make them, and making them took far beyond the amount of energy you could naturally regenerate (which was also your dungeon stamina), forcing you to either play the markets to sell materials to other players for the energy, or just buy the energy yourself :shepspends:

My memory is a bit hazy on it though

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Spiral Knights is one of those games that always sounded interesting, but which I never got around to trying out. Those kind of energy systems are a crappy mobile game tactic though, so perhaps I dodged a bullet.

Buried alive posted:

Maybe not quite the right question for this thread, but are there any MMO's out there that have similar combat? I've always wanted to try TERA because it looks pretty fun, but at the same time I've always wanted to not try TERA because of the skeevy stuff.
I thought about what game I'd compare TERA's combat to, and while I'm not sure about other MMOs, I can say that it's actually quite a lot like a Monster Hunter game. More precisely, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I want to say that there was some starter bundle option for Scarlet Blade that was basically a paid nude mod for the game.

If you want to treat yourself to an actual pretty good MMO, check out Dungeon Fighter Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

If you want to treat yourself to an actual pretty good MMO, check out Dungeon Fighter Online.

That still exists? I remember, from years ago, "IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY".

• Locked thread