Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
They got rid of the self checkouts at mine. I used them a lot but there were always problems (stuff not scanning, coupons not ringing up correctly when they did coupons) so I think it's for the better. The checkout people are true professionals who know how to get poo poo done quickly.

PBUC
~ Ketchup Apostate~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yesterday after my shopping trip I went to get an iced tea from the machine near the doors and there was a dude restocking the one next to it. After I made my selection , the dude goes NO NO NO and I was ready to start dialing 9-1 on my phone when he said, "those aren't cold! I just put em in there! You gotta look for the frost on the bottles!"

My dude opened the machine and put my drink back, and grabbed me a cold one. PBUC.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
A lost sheep... is never lost for long.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Costco carries Palmetto pimento cheese. It's pretty great man. Also when you're there you can get a hot dog and a drink (with free refills) for $1.50!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My Costco vacation was dope and trouble free, friends

I don't recommend Miami Beach, as the only nice thing about it was the actual beach. I also discovered why there aren't any successful Cuban food restaurants. Go to an island in the Caribbean, instead.

Key West is nice, though.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

ElGroucho posted:

My Costco vacation was dope and trouble free, friends

I don't recommend Miami Beach, as the only nice thing about it was the actual beach. I also discovered why there aren't any successful Cuban food restaurants. Go to an island in the Caribbean, instead.

Key West is nice, though.

If stco were to unveil a bunch of stores as competitors to 7/11 or trader joes I would be immensely happy. Imagine it, popping in at the corner for some $1.50 dogs and a drink and then going mad on that Kirkland snack food. Please Costco, don't fail us.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Sicilian posted:

If stco were to unveil a bunch of stores as competitors to 7/11 or trader joes I would be immensely happy. Imagine it, popping in at the corner for some $1.50 dogs and a drink and then going mad on that Kirkland snack food. Please Costco, don't fail us.

Like some sort of Costco Mission. Spreading the good word from place to place. PBUC.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I saw this little number in Parramatta today, they were out of them though.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Like some sort of Costco Mission. Spreading the good word from place to place. PBUC.

it prolly wouldn't work, the dogs are designed to be a loss leader
dunno if a membership-based convenience store would work, because a lot of convenience store business is... just one-offs

tj's, definitely possibility
they could cream tj's supply chain, those guys literally operate out of like 3 warehouses or something

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

curufinor posted:

dunno if a membership-based convenience store would work, because a lot of convenience store business is... just one-offs

they could cream tj's supply chain, those guys literally operate out of like 3 warehouses or something

Costco says it doesn't lose money on the dogs. They just don't make any money on them.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I would skip the infrastructure and partner with some existing retailer to get those Kirkland shits in a non-Costco store. But you know whatd go a long way would be setting up one of those things that Walmart has where you can pre-order all your groceries online and show up just to grab a box.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

flashy_mcflash posted:

I would skip the infrastructure and partner with some existing retailer to get those Kirkland shits in a non-Costco store. But you know whatd go a long way would be setting up one of those things that Walmart has where you can pre-order all your groceries online and show up just to grab a box.

Costco puts the most popular stuff(dairy, chickens, etc) in the back of the store so that people will browse and purchase much more than expected. Offering pre-order removes most of what makes Costco work.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Aww man they rotated the men's 32 Below stretchy men's shirts. For what? Kirkland White Cotton crew shirts. Sad!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

You gotta snatch all that good poo poo while it's still hot!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Dely Apple posted:

Aww man they rotated the men's 32 Below stretchy men's shirts. For what? Kirkland White Cotton crew shirts. Sad!

I bought like 7 packs of those 32 cool shirts. They are great for wearing underneath my Kirkland polos :cool:

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

curufinor posted:

I have a 24 hour Walgreens by me that I frequent all the time. I think amazon is doing something like you need a membership to enter and are charged for items on way out.

This could help with shrink and allow for way less lines.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

Costco puts the most popular stuff(dairy, chickens, etc) in the back of the store so that people will browse and purchase much more than expected. Offering pre-order removes most of what makes Costco work.

People always say this about grocery stores but I don't know if it's true. Prepared foods: obviously your prep area is going to be in the back/side of the store. Dairy: people have to go in there and stock it, so again, it has to go in the back.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Harald posted:

People always say this about grocery stores but I don't know if it's true. Prepared foods: obviously your prep area is going to be in the back/side of the store. Dairy: people have to go in there and stock it, so again, it has to go in the back.

You'll almost always find dairy and produce on opposite sides of a store so people getting common items have to walk through the majority of the store to get them

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Spoondick posted:

You'll almost always find dairy and produce on opposite sides of a store so people getting common items have to walk through the majority of the store to get them

both those items need to be kept cold, so it makes sense to put them at the side of the store. After you account for the front of the store which is taken up by the entrance and checkout, there's really only 3 sides to put those kind of things at.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

if i run into my local safeway to grab some apples and yogurt, i gotta truck it 16 isles when there's 2 isles of stand-alone coolers for cold beverage next to produce instead of yogurt... it's not on accident, even if you're single-mindedly chasing down a couple thinks a trek through the store is an opportunity for the store to impress consumers with brand options, pricing, messaging, etc for future purchases

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Check this out, Safeway doesn’t design their stores around your predilections for apples and yoghurt, they design them around how they can take deliveries and keep stock most efficiently. The notion that grocery stores are playing a 3rd dimensional chess game is consumer narcissism. No more, no less. It’s Ahab screaming at a mindless animal.

Harald fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 27, 2017

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Harald posted:

Check this out, Safeway doesn’t design their stores around your predilections for apples and yoghurt, they design them around how they can take deliveries and keep stock most efficiently. The notion that grocery stores are playing a 3rd dimensional chess game is consumer narcissism. No more, no less. It’s Ahab screaming at a mindless animal.

Walgreens puts their pharmacies at the opposite end of the door, so when you're in there to pick up your one rx you gotta walk past all their overpriced Chinese garbage. Just lol if you don't think retailers purposefully set up their stores to sell more crap, their business being to sell crap.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Picked up my Costco membership today and wandered around the store. Bought enough toilet paper to last at least a year. Also scored some of those Kirkland dark chocolate toasted coconut cashews mentioned upthread!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Picked up my Costco membership today and wandered around the store. Bought enough toilet paper to last at least a year. Also scored some of those Kirkland dark chocolate toasted coconut cashews mentioned upthread!

I hope you also stopped by the pharmacy to get some diabetes blood sugar test strips

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Gravitee posted:

The checkout people are true professionals who know how to get poo poo done quickly.

I experienced this at my first Costco visit today. One person flipped over most of the items in my cart to expose their barcodes, while another manning the register scanned some more fragile items like strawberries. Then the register person used a scanner gun to hit the entire cart in like 2 seconds. The whole transaction was done in 30. It was magical.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

JewKiller 3000 posted:

I experienced this at my first Costco visit today. One person flipped over most of the items in my cart to expose their barcodes, while another manning the register scanned some more fragile items like strawberries. Then the register person used a scanner gun to hit the entire cart in like 2 seconds. The whole transaction was done in 30. It was magical.

The thing I always notice at Costco is that the employees are happy. Not that fake lovely 'everyone smiles in a creepy way' happy, but they always talk to me and act as if they give a poo poo.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
God bless Costcommunism

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Peachfart posted:

The thing I always notice at Costco is that the employees are happy. Not that fake lovely 'everyone smiles in a creepy way' happy, but they always talk to me and act as if they give a poo poo.

honestly kind of varies by costco. my old hometown costco was great as are several other smaller sized city ones I've been to. The one I go to now near richmond has pretty awful employees except a couple. I can see why they have jaded retail-death attitudes still since COL is super high so costcos wages kind of lose out locally, and the store is insanely loving busy all the time.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Xaris posted:

honestly kind of varies by costco. my old hometown costco was great as are several other smaller sized city ones I've been to. The one I go to now near richmond has pretty awful employees except a couple. I can see why they have jaded retail-death attitudes still since COL is super high so costcos wages kind of lose out locally, and the store is insanely loving busy all the time.

It really does vary, there's two Costcos near me, a closer one that's a loving Fury Road war zone where the employees are obviously just trying to survive day to day, and the other chill-zone Costco about 20 minutes away where everybody's way happier/less rushed.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mine must be a Mad Max Costco. It really doesn't even seem that busy compared to some of the ones I've seen described here, but it is the busier of the two that are local to me, and the employees aren't really any more pleasant than anyone working at a normal grocery store or Walmart.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Costco would be better without the sample people. They aren't real Costco employees (which makes them trash) and their presence just encourages fatty fats to block up the aisles and make it into a Mad Max Costco. There's no need for samples, almost everything at Costco is good and if it isn't they will give you a full refund and listen to your feedback. gently caress the sample people.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Tato posted:

Costco would be better without the sample people. They aren't real Costco employees (which makes them trash) and their presence just encourages fatty fats to block up the aisles and make it into a Mad Max Costco. There's no need for samples, almost everything at Costco is good and if it isn't they will give you a full refund and listen to your feedback. gently caress the sample people.

I am all for the samples. Please let me try a bite before I buy a 10lb bag of something that I may or may not like.
Many spur of the moment purchases were made after sampling a product.

Also, the free samples are almost as iconic as the dogs.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm trying to think of any product I've bought based on a sample.

Oh actually there was one time I was high at Costco and this dude was going "Fresh and Pure, Fresh and Purrrre" and he was sampling pineapple juice and you can bet your rear end that I bought six litres of pineapple juice that day out of sheer terror. Good juice though and I was never able to find that brand again (the brand was called Fresh and Pure). Anyway that's my sample story pbuc

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I picked up some chicken coconut curry from a sample. It was good stuff, it just needed a small pepper addition for heat.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Costco is indeed, good.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

2 days in a row I walked a short 5 minutes from my place of employment to Costco and bought myself a $1.50 1/4 lb 100% beef hot dog with drink plus refill. Topped with the finest relish, deli mustard, onions and sauer kraut Costco can offer.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Suggesting that Costco get rid of free samples is like suggesting that mr rogers get rid of the sweaters that his mom knit

Aka, :getout:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

kazr posted:

Costco is indeed, good.

:)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does Costco still sell everything in bulk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Costco still sell everything in bulk?

Bulk is a strong word, and the stuff not sold large is strange to see sometimes.