Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Olanphonia posted:

Sounds great, post that marinade please

I'm still working on it little by little, I've only made them twice so far but:

Mango Nectar Juice (1/2 gal carton)
Habeneros (1/2 pound?)
Soy Sauce (Cup~)
Liquid Smoke (1/2 Cup~)
Worsterchire Sauce (1/2 Cup~)
Garlic (All of the garlic)

In a blender together. The first time I just sliced the habeneros and they just floated on top and didn't get alot of heat in the sauce/marinade.

Salt+Pepper+Chili Powder rub on the ribs. This last time I used 7lbs of ribs and had them in the pressure cooker for 18min, first time I had them in for 20min which I think was just a bit too long. 18min was better. You end up with a ton of liquid after they're done cooking, so I take some of it and reduce it in a pan to thicken it up and then brush it on top to taste.

I'd like to experiment with doing more like 15min in the pressure cooker and then finishing them on the grill to get a bit of a sear/crust on the outside. I'll probably try that next time. 7lbs of ribs from costco ended up being (2) 16-bone racks which I cut in half to fit in the cooker better.

If anyone has any rib tips (or recipes for Rib Tips :swoon:) let me hear 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

For sure boil it, and probably add 50% more time than the directions say. The middle was still cool when I did it the directed way. Extra time yielded a hot mass of meat that with just a touch of prodding and helping along was perfect in every aspect.

If you have an Anova or other sous vide rig, it'd be perfect for this. Set it to whatever the internal temperature is supposed to be and leave it for a while for the fat to break down and for it to be heated through.

A sous vide rig is a very good companion for Costco's amazing meat selection. I buy a big package of steaks (or pork chops, or short ribs, or salmon), seal them individually in bags (get your Foodsaver from Costco too) with seasoning, then I can sous vide them really quick when I get home from work.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I’m pretty sure our apt maintenance guy stole our Anova, nothing else though. Ever.

I guess he just really wanted well cooked meats.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I get the boxes of frozen orange chicken, theyre pretty good, only needs some sriracha in the sauce to become perfect

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Take home pizza trip report: easily the best pizza in Atlanta under 30 bucks a pie.

Just another easy and simple #win for Costco

PBUC

They changed these in my area 2 years ago and the crust is really bad now imo. We just order a whole one from the food court if we feel like taking some home

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Hed posted:

They changed these in my area 2 years ago and the crust is really bad now imo. We just order a whole one from the food court if we feel like taking some home

Yeah, I don't know why their take and pizza can't be exactly the same as their food court version. Oh well, the food court pizza saves me the time to bake!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I meant a food court pizza! The cold ones looked bad. PBUC

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ayo the take-n-bake and frozen pies are good too

god bles

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Agreed the frozen pies are insanely good.

Pizza ranks imo:

Food court
Frozen
Cold

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
tbh i havent bought a take-n-bake in forever but i remember them being super cheezy and completely covered in pepperoni. did this change or something.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
They are still the same and I can't say I like them.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I remember when they had the margarita take and bakes and while I appreciated the sentiment, you had to crank the heat to really melt the cheese and it was far too watery. I've got a Foreman grill and it was better to cut it into slices while cold and cook in there than use the oven.

Also, someone brought in some Costco muffins today and did those change? I thought I remembered them being bigger and more like the traditional muffin shape instead of the no-overlap ones we had today. I mean I appreciate it if they decided they didn't want to make 800 calories bombs anymore, I just want to see if I'm not crazy and they were bigger before.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

C. Everett Koop posted:

I remember when they had the margarita take and bakes and while I appreciated the sentiment, you had to crank the heat to really melt the cheese and it was far too watery. I've got a Foreman grill and it was better to cut it into slices while cold and cook in there than use the oven.

Also, someone brought in some Costco muffins today and did those change? I thought I remembered them being bigger and more like the traditional muffin shape instead of the no-overlap ones we had today. I mean I appreciate it if they decided they didn't want to make 800 calories bombs anymore, I just want to see if I'm not crazy and they were bigger before.
i bought some last month and they were same as they've always been??

the cool thing is within the past few months, they now they have little clear plastic containers to keep them sealed instead of those garbage cardboard+saran wrap which just let them get stale unless you repackaged them yourself. same with croissants which were notorious for that.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Good Dog posted:

I'm still working on it little by little, I've only made them twice so far but:

Mango Nectar Juice (1/2 gal carton)
Habeneros (1/2 pound?)
Soy Sauce (Cup~)
Liquid Smoke (1/2 Cup~)
Worsterchire Sauce (1/2 Cup~)
Garlic (All of the garlic)

In a blender together. The first time I just sliced the habeneros and they just floated on top and didn't get alot of heat in the sauce/marinade.

Salt+Pepper+Chili Powder rub on the ribs. This last time I used 7lbs of ribs and had them in the pressure cooker for 18min, first time I had them in for 20min which I think was just a bit too long. 18min was better. You end up with a ton of liquid after they're done cooking, so I take some of it and reduce it in a pan to thicken it up and then brush it on top to taste.

I'd like to experiment with doing more like 15min in the pressure cooker and then finishing them on the grill to get a bit of a sear/crust on the outside. I'll probably try that next time. 7lbs of ribs from costco ended up being (2) 16-bone racks which I cut in half to fit in the cooker better.

If anyone has any rib tips (or recipes for Rib Tips :swoon:) let me hear 'em.

I don't know about general rib tips, since those are usually about going low and slow to break the connective tissue down and render some of the fat that then bastes things (which a slow cooker can do, but that's with very little liquid, and that's super dangerous), but:

For any sauce that you're looking to blend, always put the stuff you want blended most at the bottom so the blades hit 'em most. Keep the consistency to a light smoothie or a very thick-ish milkshake with all your ingredients; what you got was an air bubble that burped your most important stuff up top, and it'll kinda dance there, even if you have a half-vortex.

With a blender, consistency is key; too thick and it either revs forever on it's own self-created bubble, it sucks in some and just re-churns that forever, or it develops that awesome I-can-see-into-the-cyclone mass that's not one constant vortex, but this coagulation of separate ones made by the side of your carafe. You DEFINITELY want the latter, and PLEASE do not zap something on the hi setting from the start. Work up the buttons if you have them, or the knob if you've got that to get the chunks of your puree really properly pulverized. (Note: that recipe before would have DESTROYED some partygoers if they weren't chiliheads - I would have spooned it from the carafe as a heat addict).

Your enemy is viscosity. Go light, braj, and incorporate, like them chefses, and keep your poo poo chopped broh.

[edit] gently caress, you said a PRESSURE COOKER! My man! That's a situation of BRINE THE gently caress OUT OF THAT MEAT, apply a rub that will probably fall off (as will most sauces), but what you're getting is deep, connective tissue-destroying pressurized heat. This isn't BBQ.

Don't overcook the ribs or there will be nothing left. DEFINITELY finish in the oven, and think of bastes that go with quick, heat-heavy accents; yeah, that's BBQ, but you can caramalize with just a SUPER light brown sugar dusting. You can ignore that completely and go with some Southern Carolina mustard-based, sauce.

Basically, you pressure cook those fuckers until they're almost shy pulling off the bone, then you finish with whatever bullshit sauce you want. That's if you want some actual grill-ish style. Otherwise, you know what it turns out like: fall-off-the-bone and with none of the character of the ribs you want.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 16, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
when did the Kirkland craft beer box change to including two types of IPAs? half the box is IPAs now. not that i mind, since IPAs basically don't exist where i live

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
my wife chose one of the big Costco chocolate cakes for her birthday bash, was enough to feed the whole party with some leftovers for the office tomorrow. share the blessings.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Zo posted:

when did the Kirkland craft beer box change to including two types of IPAs? half the box is IPAs now. not that i mind, since IPAs basically don't exist where i live

Where do you live because holy gently caress where I live there are grocery stores with entire cooler walls that are only IPAs.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

What's a good coffee to buy from Costco? I picked up their House Blend yesterday and I'm pretty disappointed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bug chaser chaser posted:

What's a good coffee to buy from Costco? I picked up their House Blend yesterday and I'm pretty disappointed.

I used to get their San Francisco Bay French Roast

but idk if yours sells it. you can also buy peets coffee there tho i'm not the biggest peets fan, it's ok.

tbh i've mostly stopped buying coffee from costco and just get cans from trader joes instead. i can't go through that much coffee myself (my gf doesnt drink it) and i'm too lazy to put it into better airtight containers and stuff so it kind of stales out over the year or so.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Kirkland coffee of course, is best.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bug chaser chaser posted:

Were you hoping for a light roast/breakfast blend? The fact that it's dark-roast only is unfortunate, but I can't think of a ground coffee in a can that's anywhere near as good for less than triple the price of KS.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012
The Costco here is selling lamb. As in the entire animal minus the parts removed in butchering. They have them in a section of the freezer case and they look like they weigh more than I do. I didn't do the math but I think it's more than $1000 in meat. Do regular people actually buy these? I suppose it would make sense if you ran a soup kitchen or a restaurant but I expected those kind of places would have a wholesale contract directly.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It's a cultural thing. Greeks and some other Mediterraneans cook whole lamb for holidays.

As for coffee, the Kirkland canned, pre-ground coffee really isn't bad. But if you have a decent grinder at home, get this stuff, it's DELICIOUS!

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 17, 2017

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Not from Costco but my family used to buy an entire goat fairly regularly and divvy it up. Its very common in my city (probably most cities these days) to be able to buy a whole cow/pig and share it as well. Its much cheaper doing it that way if you have the storage space for it and the skills to butcher it, though a lot of the meat share services will even do the butchering for you too.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Where do you live because holy gently caress where I live there are grocery stores with entire cooler walls that are only IPAs.

japan, not tokyo

nobody here's heard of IPAs

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'll bet you can get Asahi SUPER DRY, though. I'll drink that over an IPA any day.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Costco also has super fresh and really good bagels. 2 packs of 6 for $6! They have 4 different kinds, all great!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Croatoan posted:

Costco also has super fresh and really good bagels. 2 packs of 6 for $6! They have 4 different kinds, all great!

Oh word? How's their bulk salmon?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

In Atlanta at least Einstein’s bagels supplies Costco and they suck rear end.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

In Atlanta at least Einstein’s bagels supplies Costco and they suck rear end.

I am in Atlanta. Sorry about your broken taste buds these are really good!

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 17, 2017

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Xaris posted:

I used to get their San Francisco Bay French Roast

but idk if yours sells it. you can also buy peets coffee there tho i'm not the biggest peets fan, it's ok.

This is a great brand. The French Roast is good but I am all about the rainforest blend:

It's more of a medium-dark roast. It's so good.

RJWaters2 posted:

Oh word? How's their bulk salmon?

Very good. It freezes well and the flavor and texture is soooo good on the Kirkland version (its tender almost like raw salmon, which is a good thing).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
thanks now i want a cream cheese and lox bagel :sigh:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Croatoan posted:

I am in Atlanta. Sorry about your broken taste buds these are really good!

I mean, they are fine if you’ve never had a bagel made from New York City water :grin:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I mean, they are fine if you’ve never had a bagel made from New York City water :grin:

I've made NYC style bagels before, for one they're boiled in barley malt syrup, and in general they're finicky and kind of a pain in the rear end. The dough needs to sit for days as well.

Costco probably wants nothing to do with the labor involved.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

god drat I must be the exception because a few weeks ago I tried one of those take and bake pizzas (the one with all the pepperoni on it) and it loving tasted like hot rear end, much shittier than the food court pizza and I couldn't even finish it, it was really disappointing

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
heres a pro move:

Park car at Costco. Order a piping hot pizza pie over the phone from the foodcourt. Shop. Retrieve pie post shopping.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Sorry, Montreal style bagels or GTFO. I should head to the local bakery and pick up a 1/2 dozen, then go to Costco and get kitty litter. Fuckin' cats.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Individual bagel preferences are meaningless in the face of the glory that is Costco. If you prefer to pay three to five times the price elsewhere, Costco grants you that right as a Member.

PBUC

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Suzuran posted:

I suppose it would make sense if you ran a soup kitchen or a restaurant but I expected those kind of places would have a wholesale contract directly.

Restaurants source from multiple places and Costco *is* a wholesaler. The guy in front of you with a dozen 25lb bags of rice on an orange cart isn't buying it for home use.
There are Costco locations dedicated just to selling to businesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Chinatown posted:

heres a pro move:

Park car at Costco. Order a piping hot pizza pie over the phone from the foodcourt. Shop. Retrieve pie post shopping.

:stare: