Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

In other news, after being out of work for 4 months, I have applied to be a cleric.

what alignment is your deity? Lawful good? Chaotic neutral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

In other news, after being out of work for 4 months, I have applied to be a cleric.

I will pray as I take my holy allotment of free refill that you may pass the tests offered.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hot dog croissant

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

therobit posted:

Costco is a great 2 hour activity with the kids. I have 2 kids and all 3 of us eat for $4.50, and then I strap the 3 year old into a cart and have my 8 year old grab stuff that isn't heavy off the shelves. They like eating samples, but I never let them stop and wait for one if it isn't already on the tray because I'm not an rear end in a top hat that likes to clog up the aisles for 5 minutes every 15 feet. I try to take them every Sunday since it is my church. PBUC
I take my three kids to Costco every Saturday morning. They eat like ravenous vultures, so we require three hot dogs and two slices of pizza.

They are not permitted to eat free samples because my wife is a shrink and believes that kids should basically never get instant gratification.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I feel like they would cut you a check instead of handing you cash if your cash back reward goes over a certain amount.
I got like $1700 cash back from a rewards certificate. I’m pretty baller and/or have a spending problem (and put a lot of work travel on the card).

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
No refill but the hot dog bun has sesame seeds. I think that's a worthy trade off.

naem
May 29, 2011

:stare:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

gvibes posted:

They are not permitted to eat free samples because my wife is a shrink and believes that kids should basically never get instant gratification.

What so do you make them wait an hour before they can ear their dog? How can you not be instantly gratified by the Costco food court?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

What so do you make them wait an hour before they can ear their dog? How can you not be instantly gratified by the Costco food court?

I already brought up my divorce in the Costco thread... I didn't want to mention his upcoming divorce. ;-)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a restaurant next to my office does an avocado BLT on a croissant. croissants are a pro tier sandwich bread.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

KakerMix posted:

Well there is typically a line

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I'd give up my UNLIMITED refills for a taste of some blessed fries and tendies.

I never get more then one refill :angel:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

A giant pigs in a blanket with a Costco dog would be rad and also a good way to go out

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

A giant pigs in a blanket with a Costco dog would be rad and also a good way to go out

1. Ask to buy some raw Costco pizza dough. (this would rule)
2. Acquire Kirkland hot dogs.
3. Make monster pigs in a blanket at home.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Sounds like a Goon Meat ready to happen

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Costco has pretty good croissants in the bakery.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

Fair warning, this is how you eventually get Frasier and Niles Crane.

PBUC and those dogs

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.
I buy the costco things of curry because I moved to Montana and there aren't Indian people here.

It's not...great. I really miss real indian food.

My wife was asked at work how she was enjoying Montana, the conversation went like this;

Wife; "We like it, its beautiful and the people are nice, but we are missing some of the take out back in Seattle"
Co-Worker #1; "Oh, like what kind of food?"
Wife: "Mostly indian food, there isn't any in the valley"
Co-Worker #1; "You know, I bet you can find indian food if you go down to Polson, that's really near the reservation."
Wife; "Um, no, not Native American food, East Indian Food."
Helpful Co-worker #2; "Dot on head indian, not woo woo indian".
Co-worker #1;"OH! you mean Chinese food, we have lots of that".

Welcome to Montana.

When I google Indian food it suggest Arby's. I assume because I might as well just die if I am craving indian food.

But on the bright side I'm 5 minutes from Costco so I can get gas, a hot dog, and inferior curry any time I like!

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I buy the costco things of curry because I moved to Montana and there aren't Indian people here.

It's not...great. I really miss real indian food.

My wife was asked at work how she was enjoying Montana, the conversation went like this;

Wife; "We like it, its beautiful and the people are nice, but we are missing some of the take out back in Seattle"
Co-Worker #1; "Oh, like what kind of food?"
Wife: "Mostly indian food, there isn't any in the valley"
Co-Worker #1; "You know, I bet you can find indian food if you go down to Polson, that's really near the reservation."
Wife; "Um, no, not Native American food, East Indian Food."
Helpful Co-worker #2; "Dot on head indian, not woo woo indian".
Co-worker #1;"OH! you mean Chinese food, we have lots of that".

Welcome to Montana.

When I google Indian food it suggest Arby's. I assume because I might as well just die if I am craving indian food.

But on the bright side I'm 5 minutes from Costco so I can get gas, a hot dog, and inferior curry any time I like!
Time to buy you one of Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks and spend some time on Penzey's, friend. (Get the proteins for your curries at Costco natch.)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Just get the raw spices and make your own. Indian food is super flexible, just make garam masala and whatever else you want in advance, keep it in a container, and you're basically good to go.

You had to know that you were going to be making insane cultural tradeoffs moving to Montana.

This also applies to Thai curries, but all you need to do there is buy a big tub of Mae Ploy curry paste of your preferred variety and then add veggies, chilis and protein.

At least it's not something difficult to make like, for example, various styles of authentic regional Chinese dishes.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Donald Trump is President.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, you're not going to get really fabulous tandoori anything without an actual tandoor, but curries and naan and things are cake in a regular kitchen, and a tandoor probably wouldn't be too daunting of a DIY project, come to think of it. (And since it's Montana it's unlikely the neighbors would get on your case too much.)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Does Montana Costco sell huge packs of velco gloves?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

More importantly, does a Montana Costco sell Bibles and bullets bound together?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The obesity law makes sense for France, I should have assumed it was something like that and not pants on head stupidity by Costco management!

The ham and cheese croissants didn't look as good when I saw someone order them, but the chicken tenders were amazing. Way too many fries though, they could have been a meal by themselves.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's real

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

KakerMix posted:

They have to wait until we get home to eat.

I don't ask questions--I do what the phd tells me to do.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Went at lunch and got gas, hit the court for a dog and a glass of ice water, with no refill.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Gonna take communion tonight and purchase a second hammock if Yahjim smiles upon me and let’s me find a surplus somewhere in the racks.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

BaconCopter posted:

More importantly, does a Montana Costco sell Bibles and bullets bound together?

Man, I wish.

In all the years I've been going to costco the closest I think I've ever seen them get is when they sell gun safes. They would probably do a lot of business in selling ammunition though.

Kirkland Brand .22LR anyone?

spite house posted:

Time to buy you one of Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks and spend some time on Penzey's, friend. (Get the proteins for your curries at Costco natch.)

She have southern indian cookbooks? I'm missing the Andhra food mostly.

Taima posted:

Just get the raw spices and make your own. Indian food is super flexible, just make garam masala and whatever else you want in advance, keep it in a container, and you're basically good to go.

You had to know that you were going to be making insane cultural tradeoffs moving to Montana.

This also applies to Thai curries, but all you need to do there is buy a big tub of Mae Ploy curry paste of your preferred variety and then add veggies, chilis and protein.

At least it's not something difficult to make like, for example, various styles of authentic regional Chinese dishes.

Yeah, I've started cooking since we came here. My wife wanted to work for an under-served community, and we did know that the takeout options would be radically different from where we were in Kirkland, Washington. The birthplace of Costco. I had a notion of how different that would be, and how much snow there would be, but my wife didn't. Trying not to run over deer while driving in a blizzard is new for her. I will say that neither of us were quite prepared for the sexism though. I suppose we should have been, but I just figure in her professional hospital setting it wouldn't be the issue it actually is.

Thanks for the Indian food suggestions. I've been picking random recipes off of the internet and going with them. About all we can get for good food out here is steaks and burgers, with some fair to decent BBQ. The food truck scene in the summer is picking up a little bit, but all the Chinese restaurants are..poo poo. Our best chinese food is Panda Express. Our best mexican food is Qdoba. That's not to say there aren't chinese and mexican places in town, but they are inedible.

You know, since this is a Costco thread I might as well get this off my chest. One of the things that pisses me off about Costco is that the hot dogs are poo poo now. They were so good when they were the sinai kosher dogs from a little hot dog cart out front. I don't even know how long ago they changed that, but I'm still mad about it. Seems to me to be right around the time they stopped the two person system of calling out the number on the item, and the checker punching it in. Costco used to be a lot more fun.

Once in a while when I'm at Costco and the checker actually looks at my card and they get confused by the join date of 1987. My dad never goes into Costco so my mom just put me on her card in the spouse slot.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

MODS!?????????????

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i wonder if the costco in kirkland wa is actually better in some way than other costcos

a secret vault reachable by hitting some correct piano keys, down a winding staircase and a fireman's pole, where you can buy the batmobile

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

You know, since this is a Costco thread I might as well get this off my chest. One of the things that pisses me off about Costco is that the hot dogs are poo poo now. They were so good when they were the sinai kosher dogs from a little hot dog cart out front. I don't even know how long ago they changed that, but I'm still mad about it. Seems to me to be right around the time they stopped the two person system of calling out the number on the item, and the checker punching it in. Costco used to be a lot more fun.

Once in a while when I'm at Costco and the checker actually looks at my card and they get confused by the join date of 1987. My dad never goes into Costco so my mom just put me on her card in the spouse slot.

:corsair:

My original join date is 1992 when I got on my father in laws tax business membership.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i wonder if the costco in kirkland wa is actually better in some way than other costcos

a secret vault reachable by hitting some correct piano keys, down a winding staircase and a fireman's pole, where you can buy the batmobile
The home office/warehouse is actually in Issaquah. Kirkland is just the name they grabbed when the office was in Kirkland. I believe it is store #8.

Meydey fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 24, 2018

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Nope.

But for a long long time it didn't have the food court inside, just a hot dog cart, then you just had an outside window and no real seating. Eventually they built an enclosure for it.

New Costcos have the food court inside, from day one.

Otherwise it's like any other Costco, aside from the almost palpable history oozing out of every crack in the cement, feels kind of like being in a really old church in europe.

One amusing thing is the pot shop basically in the parking lot though. There was an old dude who lived in the house there, and he knew Costco had money. So he wanted a million dollars for his house. A house and lot which would have only been a few dozen parking spots anyway. They didn't buy it and just built parking lots around him.

He lived out his days grazing on free samples every day. Until he died you could find him in there chatting up the people giving out samples. I don't know if he ever really paid for a meal after that, but he never did get his million dollars.

Now his house sells weed. It's called Starbuds.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Please keep us updated. I've heard they hire like 25 people for seasonal stuff and then only keep 2, sort of like some kind of survival of the fittest thing. Let us know, I might be in need of a job soon.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Nope.

But for a long long time it didn't have the food court inside, just a hot dog cart, then you just had an outside window and no real seating. Eventually they built an enclosure for it.

New Costcos have the food court inside, from day one.

Otherwise it's like any other Costco, aside from the almost palpable history oozing out of every crack in the cement, feels kind of like being in a really old church in europe.

One amusing thing is the pot shop basically in the parking lot though. There was an old dude who lived in the house there, and he knew Costco had money. So he wanted a million dollars for his house. A house and lot which would have only been a few dozen parking spots anyway. They didn't buy it and just built parking lots around him.

He lived out his days grazing on free samples every day. Until he died you could find him in there chatting up the people giving out samples. I don't know if he ever really paid for a meal after that, but he never did get his million dollars.

Now his house sells weed. It's called Starbuds.

The downtown Seattle whse (#1) was cool until they flattened it and rebuilt a much bigger one (with car wash!). I think Southcenter (#6) is the best though. It still has the old train rails set in the floor from being some kind of automation warehouse before Costco. Plus it has the most square footage in the company. There used to be a mini food plant in the back called the "Food Factory". You could watch through the windows and see burritos, cheddar popcorn, coffee, and sports drink get made/packaged. Now that's gone and they expanded it to a quasi-business delivery. Portland (#2) is also a cool old building. Oh yeah San Diego #401 is an old airplane hanger that used to be owned by Howard Hughes. It was the first Price Club.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Montana Costco sells a 2 pack of bear spray.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Meydey posted:

The downtown Seattle whse (#1) was cool until they flattened it and rebuilt a much bigger one (with car wash!). I think Southcenter (#6) is the best though. It still has the old train rails set in the floor from being some kind of automation warehouse before Costco. Plus it has the most square footage in the company. There used to be a mini food plant in the back called the "Food Factory". You could watch through the windows and see burritos, cheddar popcorn, coffee, and sports drink get made/packaged. Now that's gone and they expanded it to a quasi-business delivery. Portland (#2) is also a cool old building. Oh yeah San Diego #401 is an old airplane hanger that used to be owned by Howard Hughes. It was the first Price Club.

Do you know the number of the Costco Business Center in Lynnwood? I used to go there with my dad when I was a kid in the late 80's I think.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
http://www.businessinsider.com/costco-sams-club-hot-dog-review-cost-2018-4 praise be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Agreed, though it is troubling that the article recommends ketchup, very troubling, and no mention of the holy sauerkraut either, article possibly written by a 9 year old