Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Maybe I got the two screwed up.

I can admit I'm wrong. You're still a dick.

That’s fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlr2ZMTc52E

Please don’t fight, thread.

:ohdear:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 27, 2019

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Socal goon reporting in, $7.99 for 6 softball sized, rock hard avocados.

Also, hot rotisserie chicken is like, hallelujah.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

El Jebus posted:

Socal goon reporting in, $7.99 for 6 softball sized, rock hard avocados.

Also, hot rotisserie chicken is like, hallelujah.

oh yeah I <3 much the rotisserie chicken. I get probably 1-2 a week, shred it off the bone, portion and freeze it. I use it for sandwiches, casseroles, soups etc...and I break down the carcasses and freeze them too and make stock from them.

But I do admit standing over the sink like an animal ripping into a rotisserie chicken now and again. Maybe a bit more than that :P

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

WHat are you doing with a hundred bucks of jamon? Do you slice it off and eat it? Make sandwiches? How would I put it out for a party? Do you refrigerate after slicing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

poisonpill posted:

WHat are you doing with a hundred bucks of jamon? Do you slice it off and eat it? Make sandwiches? How would I put it out for a party? Do you refrigerate after slicing?

You probably eat it with some fancy rear end cheese and crackers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MarcusSA posted:

You probably eat it with some fancy rear end cheese and crackers.

Jamon serrano is more of a tapas thing than a cheese and cracker thing, but I'm sure it would be great with the latter as well.

e: In any case you would need a SHITLOAD of people to eat that $100 serrano in one go.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 27, 2019

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:hai:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Posting from costco. Saw the ham, ate a dog, bought more normandy blend.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

RZA Encryption posted:

Posting from costco. Saw the ham, ate a dog, bought more normandy blend.

Impulse buy was...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
When you crack that ham open are you on the clock for it or does it keep for a long rear end time even then?

I imagine most people get them for some swank party where it’ll get eaten quick.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

Impulse buy was...

The four pack of frozen cheese pizzas for $6. We got out for less than $80 total.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

RZA Encryption posted:

The four pack of frozen cheese pizzas for $6. We got out for less than $80 total.

Lol

I think it was in this thread, but the no labeled aisles are a killer idea. Wanderbuy

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

priznat posted:

When you crack that ham open are you on the clock for it or does it keep for a long rear end time even then?

I imagine most people get them for some swank party where it’ll get eaten quick.

Oh nah you have at least a few months before you would have to worry about spoilage. It's dry-cured, it lasts a while.

Before you ever get the ham it was prepped in a wine-cellar esque environment for months. Then it is covered in a waxy outside, and that will keep for a long time, at least a year. Then when you finally start using it, you have quite a while, but of course that will vary a bit depending on the humidity and temperature of where you live.

It's really not a bad purchase, there is a ton of stuff you can do with serrano, and it's not nearly as expensive as iberico so you don't have to treat its usage like you would a rare mineral.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

This is a great instructional video for storing cured ham:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URFrsNYlrmw

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That does look like it would make delicious sandwiches.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh for sure. I would say that jamon serrano and bread are the most iconic and the most delicious ways you can prepare it, from tapas to sandwiches.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm weary on the legitimacy of that jámon. The good stuff is illegal to bring I to the US, and this stuff isn't the higher end as others noted. I was able to bring some back from Spain by having it double vacuum sealed. I also didn't declare it like these loving idiots.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-u-s-customs-ham-spain-20150616-story.html

The Co does carry a smaller package of jámon that is $10, look for it in the prepackaged meat cooler area.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SirPablo posted:

I'm weary on the legitimacy of that jámon. The good stuff is illegal to bring I to the US, and this stuff isn't the higher end as others noted. I was able to bring some back from Spain by having it double vacuum sealed. I also didn't declare it like these loving idiots.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-u-s-customs-ham-spain-20150616-story.html

The Co does carry a smaller package of jámon that is $10, look for it in the prepackaged meat cooler area.

It's very legal to import Spanish Jamon to the states, you just have to be a licensed importer with, apparently, ties to the Spanish government.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
#48 of 48. Sad to see it go.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

#48 of 48. Sad to see it go.

It's absolute garbage but I'm kind of sad they pulled it.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
After years of hearing this thread hype up the pub mix but not being able to try it, my dreams have come true and the mix has made its way across the pond to the Japanese stores!

Picked one up, along with some cocoa dusted almonds. PBUC!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Original_Z posted:

After years of hearing this thread hype up the pub mix but not being able to try it, my dreams have come true and the mix has made its way across the pond to the Japanese stores!

Whoa thats a different one than I get in my stores. We have the Utz mix here.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Original_Z posted:

as far as i can tell, no rye chips. 0/10

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

pub mix is at best commodity snacking for like a football game it's not actually something worth seeking out, per se...

Now, those Brookside chocolate covered acai berries, that's a fuckin SNACK bros

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

as far as i can tell, no rye chips. 0/10

some sacrifices must be made to spread the gospel to the corners of the earth

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

binge crotching posted:

It's absolute garbage but I'm kind of sad they pulled it.

I found it comparable to domestics and the light Mexican beers. I've heard multiple breweries made it, so perhaps our west coast version was better than other places.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bloodplay it again posted:

The key to good olive oil is just making sure the olives are sourced from the same country. I'd argue it matters significantly less which country and more that all of the olives came from the same place. That's pretty much it.

Why is this out of curiosity? It's not like plants know about national borders.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Why is this out of curiosity? It's not like plants know about national borders.

Soil differences ect ect ect can absolutely change the flavor of things.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yes but if you were to intentionally blend different origins of olive to get a better taste, it's not like that's gonna make it worse. It sounds like the kind of bullshit people who are snobby about decent blended wines, coffees, and scotch complain about.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

therobit posted:

not like that's gonna make it worse. It sounds like the kind of bullshit people who are snobby about decent blended wines, coffees, and scotch complain about.

Worse probably not.

There is definitely something to be said for a region specific taste.

I’m not any of those snobs but I can taste the difference.

A coffee sourced from one location definitely does taste better vs say a blend.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MarcusSA posted:

Worse probably not.

There is definitely something to be said for a region specific taste.

I’m not any of those snobs but I can taste the difference.

A coffee sourced from one location definitely does taste better vs say a blend.

Uh, I would say SOME premium single origin coffees taste better, a lot just different. Also there is a bias because typically single origin coffees are of higher quality to begin with, and people are thinking Starbucks when they talk about blends. Premium blends can be at least as good, if not as unique in flavor, as a lot of single origin coffees. I do mostly drink single origin coffee but sometimes I want a nice blend that goes down smooth.

With olive oil you are buying at the grocery store, you should avoid Italian altogether since that isn't what you are getting even if that's what's on the label. It will be adulterated.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have yet to try a coffee available at costco that I like, unfortunately. Most are way too heavily roasted.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Right but that's 'same estate' not 'same country'. The soil in Piedmont is not more similar to the soil in Sicily than it is that in Barcelona.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

MarcusSA posted:

There's a significant trend that I am obligated to say is not-fascist in any way, for people to buy products that are ultimately sourced, or at least processed, in their own country. Yep, definitely no mercantilism or fascism or isolationism involved, yes.

I mean, sure certain regions are bad for growing certain crops. And, when you get down to it, no country is self-sufficient. But there is a very real trend for people buying overpriced food produced in their own regions rather than imported food from certain foreign areas that can produce it in far greater quantity and with far less environmental impact, even accounting for transport costs.

Isn't it just fun how xenophobia has hijacked hipsterism?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IronClaymore posted:

There's a significant trend that I am obligated to say is not-fascist in any way, for people to buy products that are ultimately sourced, or at least processed, in their own country. Yep, definitely no mercantilism or fascism or isolationism involved, yes.

I mean, sure certain regions are bad for growing certain crops. And, when you get down to it, no country is self-sufficient. But there is a very real trend for people buying overpriced food produced in their own regions rather than imported food from certain foreign areas that can produce it in far greater quantity and with far less environmental impact, even accounting for transport costs.

Isn't it just fun how xenophobia has hijacked hipsterism?

Sir this is the Costco thread....

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

MarcusSA posted:

Sir this is the Costco thread....

Oh, sorry. Um...I personally welcome our new American overlords?

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

my 'co had some lemony white chocolate almonds today. PB to the Co

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

my 'co had some lemony white chocolate almonds today. PB to the Co

Oh I tried the sample of those and they were alright. I didn't get them but I got an entire smoked whitefish.