Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Bummey posted:

There's another guy in a low key cowboy getup that looks just like ... what's his face, cowboy actor guy with a really deep voice. poo poo. I don't remember any movies he's been in. Anyways. I don't know what he sells. He's never said anything that I've heard, just hangs out at the receipt line sales area next to all the others.
Sam Elliot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Anyone had any experiences using the travel portion of Costco? We're thinking of going to Orlando for a family vacation and thought about looking through Costco first.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

jisforjosh posted:

Anyone had any experiences using the travel portion of Costco? We're thinking of going to Orlando for a family vacation and thought about looking through Costco first.

Just used the car rental booking through costco and saved 20% I think plus free 2nd driver.

Heard good things about the full travel experience too.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

FCKGW posted:

I am Team No Samples.

what is wrong with you

bingo

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

priznat posted:

Just used the car rental booking through costco and saved 20% I think plus free 2nd driver.

Heard good things about the full travel experience too.

Just get married. Free 2nd driver all the time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

Just get married. Free 2nd driver all the time.

I added my wife, didn’t know that was free anyway!

Anyway it was a good rental, turned out the cheapest using Costco was Alamo and got a vehicle big enough for us and all the kids with no issues. Would use again!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I use their rental car booking pretty much exclusively now.

Always the cheapest for major rental companies or within $5-10, free 2nd driver, and they frequently throw in $25 Costco gift certificates as well.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

As an autismal goon I don't like people hawking their wares at me when I walk through the 'co. Right now they've got a guy selling solar panels, and another guy selling blinds or window treatments. Being forced to converse with another human being against my will really detracts from the 'co experience. Now if you'll excuse me I will just enter this sensory deprivation tank to destress.

:same: I hate that stuff.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

As an autismal goon I don't like people hawking their wares at me when I walk through the 'co. Right now they've got a guy selling solar panels, and another guy selling blinds or window treatments. Being forced to converse with another human being against my will really detracts from the 'co experience. Now if you'll excuse me I will just enter this sensory deprivation tank to destress.
I just say 'sorry man i rent an apartment , wish i could afford a house! *chuckle*" and they shut up p quickly and it's not awkward because they're also minwage slaves that are barely scrapping by as well and feel dat comraderie of poorness and they just nod and say 'i feel ya have a nice one''. i think the people selling blenders or cell phones and poo poo are more annoying.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

jisforjosh posted:

I've booked hotels in Vegas a few times. Generally cheaper or same price as booking direct, plus some perks (Costco gift card, food/beverage credits, etc.). You might find a better deal by doing your own homework, but it's nice knowing that you're getting a pretty decent deal plus a few beers out of the mini bar with no hassle.

Never done the full package options with flights, but I've heard great things. Plus you can get someone on the phone if you want to talk out some different options. Makes you remember why having a travel agent was sometimes a good thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

:wrong:

Their naan is awesome, as are samples. Perhaps you might find Sams Club to “be more to your taste” (as the kids say these days)?

Bummey posted:

what is wrong with you

All Cart Samplers ruin the otherwise good shopping experience at Costco and should be banished from the warehouse immediately.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lemme park my rear end in the middle of the aisle here, cutting off the main artery to the checkout lanes, for half a ritz cracker and some beef jerky.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

FCKGW posted:

All Cart Samplers ruin the otherwise good shopping experience at Costco and should be banished from the warehouse immediately.

FCKGW posted:

lemme park my rear end in the middle of the aisle here, cutting off the main artery to the checkout lanes, for half a ritz cracker and some beef jerky.

Most of the time I'm only there for small things and don't get a cart. If I do, I scour the samples before I get one.

People who block the aisles are bad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Got the Kirkland Peanut Butter Pretzels as a workplace snack and help I am gonna eat the whole drat thing it’s so gooooood

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
I went to Costco today to get my usual Whole Combo Pizza + Fruit Smoothie, but the food court was randomly closed, so I got a whole roast chicken and some blueberries instead.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DrowningInDreams posted:

I went to Costco today to get my usual Whole Combo Pizza + Fruit Smoothie, but the food court was randomly closed, so I got a whole roast chicken and some blueberries instead.

Business model,working as intended!

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Ginormous Rocket update:

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 18, 2019

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Scientist posted:

Ginormous Rocket update:

:flaccid:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Didn't even shop today. Just swung by for a dog and soda plus refill.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

jisforjosh posted:

We booked our honeymoon through Costco Travel and it was great.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Bought some tires at Costco and there aren’t any appointments available for weeks, so I’m gonna walk in tomorrow morning. Are the rumors true? Do I get there an hour before opening?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Senf posted:

Bought some tires at Costco and there aren’t any appointments available for weeks, so I’m gonna walk in tomorrow morning. Are the rumors true? Do I get there an hour before opening?

They have a sign that says any tire, anytime. It’s a lie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Senf posted:

lol good luck. I don’t use CostCo for tires anymore since they were always insanely busy.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

david_a posted:

lol good luck. I don’t use CostCo for tires anymore since they were always insanely busy.

Yeah my next tire purchase will be at either a local shop or a national chain. The potential savings aren't worth the loss of convenience for service/rotations. The one area where the church fails.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Sounds like the rumors are true then. Probably should have done America's Tire like I usually do.

Thankfully there's a brewery next door, so I guess I'll just have to chill in line until they take my key and then walk down the street (with a hot dog duhhh) for some brews :shrug:

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I once had a tire that went flat on me in such a way that I wound up riding on the sidewall before being able to get off the road, and they replaced it for me at a very reduced rate even though they didnt have to. Also they have ostensibly competent staff, which is absolutely not the case with everywhere else I've been.

Sears used to take the tire off my donut rim and put a brand new tire on it and stash it back under the truck (wtf?). Another place in town will patch punctures so shittily that, again the tire deflates so quickly that it gets ruined.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I got all my tires done at church after getting a used car from a relative who had done insane things to the tires. I was in and out in about 1 and a half hours, had a dog, ate some samples, and lounged on some sweet patio furniture, A+

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I got all my tires done at church after getting a used car from a relative who had done insane things to the tires. I was in and out in about 1 and a half hours, had a dog, ate some samples, and lounged on some sweet patio furniture, A+

Was your relative the guy in the news who hosed his tires?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Senf posted:

I would get there early yeah. iirc my tire center actually opens before the main store (7AM vs 9AM) so you can get there pretty early. also helps to go during a weekday if you can. Ultimately also depends on how busy your Costco is usually,; like california costcos are often very busy unless its a place where theres a coveted 2 costcos within 10 miles of each other.

If you ever have to get them done on a weekend because job and your costco is usually busy, and if you like sleeping in, then you're probably better off going to a local tire store and price difference won't be much, though maybe slightly worse warranty. If you can swing it, showing up at like 6:30 on a Saturday/Sunday should get in you in and out pretty quick.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah my next tire purchase will be at either a local shop or a national chain. The potential savings aren't worth the loss of convenience for service/rotations. The one area where the church fails.

I am very lucky that my local Daniels Tire is awesome and honest and cheaper than Costco.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

sweet thursday posted:

Was your relative the guy in the news who hosed his tires?

sure

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Can you go into a Costco and browse without a member card?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Can you go into a Costco and browse without a member card?

In mine they only card you at the register

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Xaris posted:

I would get there early yeah. iirc my tire center actually opens before the main store (7AM vs 9AM) so you can get there pretty early. also helps to go during a weekday if you can. Ultimately also depends on how busy your Costco is usually,; like california costcos are often very busy unless its a place where theres a coveted 2 costcos within 10 miles of each other.

If you ever have to get them done on a weekend because job and your costco is usually busy, and if you like sleeping in, then you're probably better off going to a local tire store and price difference won't be much, though maybe slightly worse warranty. If you can swing it, showing up at like 6:30 on a Saturday/Sunday should get in you in and out pretty quick.

Going early is a good idea, but definitely check the tire shop hours before showing up at 6:30 or 7 in the morning, because the tire center at my Costco opens up the same time the store does. And that is ridiculous because everyday 5 to 10 minutes after the store opens up there's like 20 people in line at the sales counter.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

sweet thursday posted:

In mine they only card you at the register

When I was thinking about getting a membership, I went to the member services or whatever desk and asked if I could just walk around and make sure it's something I wanted. They told me it was fine. You just won't be able to buy anything.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Was the third person in line and had my car in a bay by 7:15 AM. God bless, Costco, always exceeding my expectations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Senf posted:

Was the third person in line and had my car in a bay by 7:15 AM. God bless, Costco, always exceeding my expectations.

Congrats. Early is def the way to go

Also I talked poo poo about Costco Gas awhile back but I take it back. Was gunna fill up my gfs car yesterday because it had like less than 1 gal+reserve left but the station was like 4.25$ a gallon and had planned to go to Costco. Went at 8:50am and no real line and it was 3.72$. Hell yeah

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Costco rant.

Now I've shopped at 6 different Costco stores, a couple down south and a few in the midwest area. I'm not impressed with the checkout experience.

I'm not new to being rushed at a register, but the cashiers are usually cold and overly nervous. I go to Aldi (several of them) and I never feel as rushed as this, and that's what they're all about... get that merch scanned fast as hell. Aldi staff are just warmer for whatever reason. Costco checkout is like getting soup from the soup nazi.

The other issue is that most of the shoppers are assholes. So they are crowding you from behind to rush their stuff through the register. It's like they have rear end in a top hat potpourri piped through checkout area and everyone is under it's trance.

Not to mention when I get all done with that experience, I have to wait in line for my drat receipt to be checked.

I kinda would prefer to shop at the Costco in Idiocracy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not trying to be a dick but you are comparing Aldi to Costco??? In terms of shopping?

The cashiers aren’t the friendliest but they get the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MarcusSA posted:

The cashiers aren’t the friendliest but they get the job done.
yeah they're just doing a job and getting people through quickly. my experience is neutral and i'm A-OK with that. as long as they aren't like insulting you and commenting on your poor goony purchases, then who really cares if all they do is just ask for a card, scan your items and quickly hand you the receipt. the actual bad experience ends up being it's too busy and it's a slightly smaller store and the checkouts lead right up to the food court lines and tables which is also a clusterfuck of carts and people and one person just stopping after the checkout can plug it all up with barely enough room for 1 cart-width of open-space to head towards the exit which is backed up with receipt checking. so getting out actually rather sucks.

now the safeway in my city on the other hand... hollly gently caress that is a massively awful experience and i've almost stopped going there entirely as much as I can.

trader joes has the most pleasant check-out experience. most of the cashiers are usually in a silly mood and seem to like shooting the poo poo and it's always massively staffed with most checkouts always open so you can get through quickly. probably the fact it's always highly staffed helps so they aren't ever as pressured and stressed, internally or externally, to turbo rush it under a glut of backlog of customers.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 19, 2019