Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Has anyone bought a laptop through Costco? Do they offer any kind of warranty (or can you add-on, for example, Dell's ProPlus warranty if you're getting a Dell)?

Two year warranty standard on all computers. You can also add the Squaretrade extended warranty to it, which gets you a three year warranty, plus all three years are covered for drops/physical damage, spills/water damage, and a one-time battery replacement if the battery holds less than 50% of its original charge. Laptop repair is done by mailing it in in a pre-paid box, with a five business day turnaround guarantee once it's received. Computer Squaretrade costs $70 for anything under $500, and $100 for anything over $500.

The Costco Citi Visa also separately adds a two-year extension to the end of any warranty, and stacks together with the Squaretrade, so if you're looking at using the Citi card, you're getting a 4 year warranty but no extra coverage, or if you stack the Squaretrade and the Citi, you're getting a total of 5 year warranty, of which 3 years are covered for drops/spills.

Azuren fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Buying electronics at Costco is truly blessed 🙏

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Dell ProPlus does NBD on-site though which is real real nice.

:ohdear:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Getting general electronics at Costco is pretty good.

The prices on stuff like TVs aren't that good usually though, and you have to pay tax. You haul it away from the warehouse vs. free shipping.

I recently saved like $700 total buying an OLED TV from not-Costco and that included free setup on the second floor of my house, AND they plugged it in and made sure it worked perfectly before leaving.

And for the record, other cards give you 2 years extended warranty for free (Amex etc). So instead of getting 4 years total from Costco, you get 3, which is fine.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My Laptop's right channel speaker broke and CostCo concierge only really helped connect me with the manufacturer's helpline. The customer service rep was super helpful and nice and followed up with me a few times to make sure everything was good, but there wasn't much they could do aside from being a middleman.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
That's basically the job of the concierge service: acting as the middleman.

They do help set up repairs for items though if you are further down in your warranty (the part that Costco covers themselves) and are also there to potentially connect you with your local Costco's GM in case that's needed for their resolution.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sandball posted:

That's basically the job of the concierge service: acting as the middleman.
Yeah, sorry. I guess I glossed over the fact that someone who wasn't a computer toucher might be unfamiliar with the RMA/Warranty process and that would probably help.out a lot when they give you the "please reinstall windows/unplug your tv" screed.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

FCKGW posted:

2 years standard, 4 years if you pay with Costco Visa.

I believe the SquareTrade warranty stacks, so if you get the SquareTrade and use the Costco Visa, you end up with 7 years total.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Argyle posted:

I believe the SquareTrade warranty stacks, so if you get the SquareTrade and use the Costco Visa, you end up with 7 years total.

This is true for TVs but not for computers. TV Squaretrade extends the warranty out to 5 years (but doesn't cover physical damage/water damage). Computer Squaretrade extends the warranty out to 3 years (and does cover physical damage/water damage). The card adds a flat two years to the end of whatever warranty you get, for a combined total of 7 for TV Squadetrade+card, or 5 (of which 3 are covered for drops/spills) for computer Squaretrade+card.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Stop spilling colas on your laptops!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

In any case the value the average consumer places on a warranty is far higher than the actual value of the warranty.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burt Sexual posted:

Stop spilling colas on your laptops!
I had a poor buddy that hosed up a laptop because they were working at a McDonalds (free wifi, better seating than Starbucks) and some dipshit old person knocked over a sweet tea right onto their poo poo.

Sometimes it aint us!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Taima posted:

In any case the value the average consumer places on a warranty is far higher than the actual value of the warranty.

I mean that's true of all warranties and insurance. Doesn't mean they're a bad idea.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Some warranties are great like the ones from Dell where they ship you the replacement first etc. Those own.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Made a quick run this evening. I feel bad for the guys pushing DirecTV or new flooring on a weekday night. Such a pathetic job.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

bamhand posted:

I mean that's true of all warranties and insurance. Doesn't mean they're a bad idea.

...What?

It's pretty simple, insurance is great when the thing you're insuring against constitutes a major hardship should that thing come to pass.

For that reason a warranty on a TV is, mathematically speaking, worth very little. It just is. I don't know what else to say.

priznat posted:

Some warranties are great like the ones from Dell where they ship you the replacement first etc. Those own.

Totally. Something I learned recently is that Amazon will sometimes do this even if you're out of the return window. I ordered an amp, it broke outside the return window, the merchant basically said tough poo poo, and Amazon just cross shipped a new one no questions ask. They're pretty cool, for being, you know, the devil.

Taima fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 15, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SirPablo posted:

Made a quick run this evening. I feel bad for the guys pushing DirecTV or new flooring on a weekday night. Such a pathetic job.

Yeah ran into one pushing it heavy last time I was at the Costco. I was just like sorry I’ve got $45 a month gigabit fiber from a pro-net neutrality local isp and they just meakly said but we have fiber too.... as I walked off

Wish they would just get rid of the floor-pushing subcontractors. It sucks for absolutely everyone.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

They must get major bank in exchange for allowing those salespeople, considering how much worse it makes the general experience.

SHAREHOLDERS :bahgawd::bahgawd::bahgawd:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Taima posted:

They must get major bank in exchange for allowing those salespeople, considering how much worse it makes the general experience.

SHAREHOLDERS :bahgawd::bahgawd::bahgawd:

The subcontractors also usually get poo poo for pay too so it totally goes against my good church experience.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The vitamix or perfume or other hawkers also give me pause, like I’m at the shopping pavilion at a fairground where they demo ginzu knives or whatever.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Taima posted:

...What?

It's pretty simple, insurance is great when the thing you're insuring against constitutes a major hardship should that thing come to pass.

For that reason a warranty on a TV is, mathematically speaking, worth very little. It just is. I don't know what else to say.

Totally. Something I learned recently is that Amazon will sometimes do this even if you're out of the return window. I ordered an amp, it broke outside the return window, the merchant basically said tough poo poo, and Amazon just cross shipped a new one no questions ask. They're pretty cool, for being, you know, the devil.

Expected return on you warranty is less than what it costs. Other wise they wouldn't be offered.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Taima posted:

...What?

That’s because amazon doesn’t give a gently caress about their sellers (or anyone lol), they just stick that refund cost to the merchant anyway.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

DiggityDoink posted:

The subcontractors also usually get poo poo for pay too so it totally goes against my good church experience.

There's a Jesus and the moneychangers parable in here somewhere.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
All the puma socks I got from the 'co are developing holes.

Guess I have to go get more, and a slice of pizza.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

skooma512 posted:

Man I'm always sliding around our tile floors and the Adidas socks I got from Costco were poo poo. The Pumas though are holding up super well.

Basically u wanna fite about it????

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I’ve had the same problem with the puma socks. Got holes within six months on multiple pairs. They are cheap and most athletic socks don’t last forever though so whatever.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

skooma512 posted:

My pumas are perfect still, although they are so cheap that I might as well buy more.

And buy a slice.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I have Puma socks from Costco and they have been fairly durable

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Same

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The ladies Fila joggers are a hit w the ladies

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
How much onions do puma socks hold. Asking for a friend

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

How much onions do puma socks hold. Asking for a friend

Yellow, red, or shallot?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Never thought about that, drat.

*throws thesis in trash*

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Never thought about that, drat.

*throws thesis in trash*

'Hmm, well your stats appear to hold up, and your findings are solid, but I don't see anything about green onions in your methodology chapter MR.CAT...'

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Also no mention of the humble white onion, and, spring onion? What about sweet onion?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

And not to get overly pedantic but calling a shallot an onion is suspect at best.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll never be Dr. CAT at this rate. I'm a sham!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You think the food court would be mad if I got a large pizza and went to the onion dispenser and smothered that bitch up?

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
They have to dump out the thing at the end of the night so just do it.

Smother that peetz with those smelly pickled onions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

sandball posted:

They have to dump out the thing at the end of the night so just do it.

Smother that peetz with those smelly pickled onions.

I wish they were pickled onions but they're just chopped fresh onions. A pickled onion dispenser would be fuckin legit.