Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

phosdex posted:

I am at Costco right now waiting for snow tires to be put on. Ordered online almost 3 weeks ago, scheduled for today. Got here for my appt, got the new guy who fumbled around for 10 minutes to bring up my appointment. Tire center is busy as hell with temps next week sub freezing and chance of flurries. Was told 1.5 hours. Though now I'm not sure if he meant until they start on my car or it's done.

Last time I did tires I went to discount tire without an appointment and waited for about 2.5 hours. Then they put my wheels/tires on but somehow forgot to actually put air in. So then they made we wait another 30 to get my car into a bay to do that.

Anyway, eating a dog and soda (with free refill) now.

You gonna pick up some stroopwaffels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

I am at Costco right now waiting for snow tires to be put on. Ordered online almost 3 weeks ago, scheduled for today. Got here for my appt, got the new guy who fumbled around for 10 minutes to bring up my appointment. Tire center is busy as hell with temps next week sub freezing and chance of flurries. Was told 1.5 hours. Though now I'm not sure if he meant until they start on my car or it's done.

Last time I did tires I went to discount tire without an appointment and waited for about 2.5 hours. Then they put my wheels/tires on but somehow forgot to actually put air in. So then they made we wait another 30 to get my car into a bay to do that.

Anyway, eating a dog and soda (with free refill) now.

Yeah that's terrible.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You gonna pick up some stroopwaffels?

I'm gonna get some frozen veggies, avocados, and maybe a chicken.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

phosdex posted:

I'm gonna get some frozen veggies, avocados, and maybe a chicken.

And? What else are you supposed to get?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tire depot. Scheduling are completely dependent on location YMMV.

Coming from the coasts we loathed even making appointments. Calling up our new local store to make an appointment over the phone and the guy behind the counter said “well, I guess you could make an appointment, but why not just bring it down here and we will work it in?” While being really confused.

In and out under an hour with no appointment.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
i bought some sherpa throws for my friends as a housewarming gift and now i'm a hero

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The cheese isle is the most dangerous isle in Costco.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Chinatown posted:

I've never bought cheese from the church but I definitely know the feeling. I always want to buy some.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just left Costco.

Good: full size Halloween candy bars on sale, 30 for $12. Neighborhood kids will remember me long after I'm gone.

Bad: could find no Sherpa blankets anywhere, of any brand. Was a major Christmas gift plan, this year.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hed posted:

Tire depot. Scheduling are completely dependent on location YMMV.

Coming from the coasts we loathed even making appointments. Calling up our new local store to make an appointment over the phone and the guy behind the counter said “well, I guess you could make an appointment, but why not just bring it down here and we will work it in?” While being really confused.

In and out under an hour with no appointment.

yeah honestly unless for some reason i need a brand new full-set that just so happens to be on a monthly sale or whatever, i find it just way quicker and less stressful going to some nearby tire place than doing the costco tire center to save <$20. most tire places are actually pretty much equally generous with doing rotations/fills/patches and same quality without having a wait. there's also a good chance to do used tires if you just need to replace one or so for pretty cheap. can often just drive up on a whim, be in and out quickly and it ain't much more. tire center is one of the things that Costco just isn't great it, it's usually very understaffed, slow as hell, and doesn't save that much money unless the stars align and you stand in line before they open on a weekday and can spend an hour in the store.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah if you're eating that many eggs then I can totally see using that. It can also probably used as a Peeps steamer!

You can steam peeps? What the hell?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chinatown posted:

i always pick up that dual pack of goat cheese logs and it lasts my wife and i about....a week

i need to stop buying it

also they have these cheese wraps and while it sounds interesting and very keto-friendly the picture theyve chosen to market their product is peak goonmeal

yeah just wrap a bunch of salami in cheese we're done here

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chinatown posted:

The “I like my men like I like my cheese” Coastal ‘Rugged and mature’ English cheddar is A++. It’s almost like good Parmesan but soft and crumbly?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Don't forget you can make tire center appointments online. My local place told me that there are often extra slots open online compared to in person.

GORDON posted:

Just left Costco.

Good: full size Halloween candy bars on sale, 30 for $12. Neighborhood kids will remember me long after I'm gone.

Bad: could find no Sherpa blankets anywhere, of any brand. Was a major Christmas gift plan, this year.

I've had good luck checking with the stock people near the registers (like the managers stand) and asking if they had them in stock, when they might get more, or if another store nearby has whatever I'm looking for.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Heffer posted:

You can steam peeps? What the hell?

It was a weird random joke that didn't make any sense. :ssh:

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

November savings book is here!

Can anybody vouch for the Calphalon Quartz Heat Countertop Oven? Most important question: can it make decent toast? Toaster ovens are often very hit and miss when it comes to... well, toasting. I have a standalone toaster, but I really only have room for one or the other in my tiny kitchen.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It was a weird random joke that didn't make any sense. :ssh:

Well to be fair, you can steam just about anything. Results will vary.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Argyle posted:

Can anybody vouch for the Calphalon Quartz Heat Countertop Oven? Most important question: can it make decent toast? Toaster ovens are often very hit and miss when it comes to... well, toasting. I have a standalone toaster, but I really only have room for one or the other in my tiny kitchen.

I have a toaster oven that takes like 10 minutes at least to make toast. I also have a standard toaster. :downs:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i always pick up that dual pack of goat cheese logs and it lasts my wife and i about....a week

i need to stop buying it

also they have these cheese wraps and while it sounds interesting and very keto-friendly the picture theyve chosen to market their product is peak goonmeal

i sometimes get a small wheel of some extremely moldy stinky cheese from Jasper Hills. I usually get a thing of the pre-sliced pepper jack or the variety pack. Super good deals. The goat cheese marinaded in olive oil looks good but hoo boy id get FAT real fast.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I got a sample of the giant chicken pot pies yesterday, it was tasty. they also had a full pizza sample station, with 3 old ladies making 4 different kinds of frozen pizza, it was rad

I lusted over the 1.75-liter Macallan 12 year, but did not buy

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

A nice $250 bill today for party stuff for tomorrow night. Also got a two pack of that pre cooked chicken Tikka masala. Poured it over cauliflower rice. Fuckin delicious.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I wasn't happy with them, but I was expecting more cheesy tortilla instead of just hammered out parmesan into a tortilla shape.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Anyone been to the Costco in Sevilla? I'm thinking of getting my jamon from the source.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Anyone been to the Costco in Sevilla? I'm thinking of getting my jamon from the source.

Been to the Madrid one. They have giant whole legs of jamón :yum:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I lusted over the 1.75-liter Macallan 12 year, but did not buy
Smart move IMO, even at CostCo prices Macallan is overpriced ($200+ for the 18 LOL). They’ve dramatically increased their prices over the last ten years, I guess mainly due to name recognition. Aberlour is pretty similar for much much less. Haven’t even seen that at CostCo, but sometimes they have Balvenie which is also very nice and slightly less overpriced :v:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

david_a posted:

Smart move IMO, even at CostCo prices Macallan is overpriced ($200+ for the 18 LOL). They’ve dramatically increased their prices over the last ten years, I guess mainly due to name recognition. Aberlour is pretty similar for much much less. Haven’t even seen that at CostCo, but sometimes they have Balvenie which is also very nice and slightly less overpriced :v:

the 1.75 was $129. I'm not even remotely a scotch expert, I just know I've had macallan and like it :shrug:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Our Costco has 1.75s of Remy Martin VSOP at (I think) $93. Too bad they won't fit in my liquor cabinet. Also I've already got plenty of brandy/cognac anyways. At any rate, I think it's a better deal than Macallan-- there are plenty of other, better scotches at the same price point, IMO.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

david_a posted:

aberlour abunad'h is like double what it was 5-10 years ago

Is the costco cognac actually any good?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

hakimashou posted:

Is the costco cognac actually any good?
I’m far from a cognac expert but it seemed good to me.

It’s cognac so I don’t think it can ever be that bad. Since there are laws around where it’s made they have to list the exact address on the bottle, so people quickly figured out who made it. It’s some company I never heard of but you can search for it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Costcos in Canada not having Tillamook cheese is probably the main reason I am not 300lbs.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Been to the Madrid one. They have giant whole legs of jamón :yum:

Oh hell yes, that is exactly what I want. Thank you! I hope I can make it happen. What was the food court like there?

priznat posted:

Costcos in Canada not having Tillamook cheese is probably the main reason I am not 300lbs.

Here's a Canuck that knows what's up. Be glad that your local grocery doesn't sell a 2.5 lb brick, calling it a baby loaf.

Do take the tour at the factory if you get the chance. The cheese curds at the end are worth it alone.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Oh hell yes, that is exactly what I want. Thank you! I hope I can make it happen. What was the food court like there?

Here's a Canuck that knows what's up. Be glad that your local grocery doesn't sell a 2.5 lb brick, calling it a baby loaf.

Do take the tour at the factory if you get the chance. The cheese curds at the end are worth it alone.

My in-laws occasionally go down to the states on weekend day trips and they bring back a loaf or two and it has ruined other cheese brands for me, it’s so great. I would love to go tour the factory, I hear their ice cream is fantastic too.

But drat it is the best cheese for toasting or grilling too it just melts so evenly and doesn’t get oil coming out of it, just love the stuff. Great shredded for nachos. Or not melted on a sandwich. Anything!!

I hoard the brick like a gold miser though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Argyle posted:

I don't know about that, but I would highly vouch for the Panasonic FlashXpress. I've got a small 1br apartment so i dont have a lot of room for kitchen appliances; however, it triples as an oven, microwave, and toaster. so i don't have a toaster or microwave anymore and it makes them obsolete. it does toast in 3 minutes and toasts very well getting it as charcoal burnt as you could possibly want it; it reheats food super well and quick with no heat-up time, and even bakes. it can only fit about 4-pieces of toast on a tray so it's not gunna fit a whole pizza, but great for small mini pizzas, mozerlla sticks, poppers, pretzels, heating up soup or leftovers, cooking up meatballs/sausages/etc, toasting bread, bagels garlic bread, whatever you could possibly want something to do. its also loving great for making cheese-melts or grilled cheese sandwiches. stick 2 slices of bread with some cheese ontop, set it to toast, then stick em together and you've got a 3 minute grilled cheese.

i find wirecutter sometimes hit or miss but this is by far the best recommendation that i've been super happy to find and buy from there

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 26, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I also have a FlashXpress and can confirm it rules.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Lazyhound posted:

I also have a FlashXpress and can confirm it rules.

:same:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I highly recommend this. I took a trip to Portland from Kirkland, WA with my wife at the time in about 2007-2008 and it was great. At the time we couldn't find decent cheese curds at the local stores and it was really expensive. Well we stopped at the Tillamook factory (we planned it) and picked up super fresh cheese curds. They were squeaky which is the exact way you want them.

I'm from Wisconsin and Tillamook cheese is top notch. I'm spoiled here but Tillamook is still one of the best cheeses I've had.

:discourse:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

They had a really good bbq chicken pizza.
Don't miss the fried egg chips (bag smells like farts when you open it but they're amazing)

They also have armed guards at the jewelry counter and the cash register, which is kinda weird.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
They just rebuilt the Tillamook factory a year or two ago. I haven't been back since then, but it's still worth the visit just for the grilled cheese and ice cream. There's a decent air museum nearby in a WW2 blimp hangar if you're into that sort thing.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Kerry gold > tillamook imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've only been since the remodel and it's really nice. They have flavors in person that I haven't seen in any stores, like garlic chili cheddar. I would love to take a trip back some time.