Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Pick posted:

I ate a costco hot dog today

I love costco dogs but those meaty burps seem to last forever

A shameful snipe. A blessing: I went to costco on Sunday and bought a side of steelhead, dry brined it overnight and smoked it for a couple of hours. It's so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Woodsy Owl posted:

The place has an excellent mission statement but it’s really boring. You will learn very little about the history of the cultures. The shows are incredibly poorly produced as well; if you have to go, save your hearing and skip the show at the end of the night.

Edit: also the new and improved Costco paper towels are inferior to the old

We enjoyed it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

EVG posted:

Wow, that’s similar to I was looking at, Oahu and Kauai. But for 2 from Chicago. If you’d like to weigh in on which hotel you picked and activities were the best, I’d love the input. (ALSO how was the Costco there??). Because our 2 island trip was coming out to around 5-6k for the 2 of us, it sounds like you managed to book more cost effectively.

Just to add a couple things,
-The Crouching Lion trail is marked as closed, but it's really just a sign that people walk around. Gorgeous views in every direction in only a few miles if you do the loop.
-If you're around Waimea Bay, stop by the beach and jump off the rock everyone is jumping off.
-Try some garlicy shrimp from a food truck parked by a shrimp farm.

If you're looking at Oahu the North Shore is much more of a traditional vacation spot, and you can take day trips to the city for Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, etc.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

toplitzin posted:

If these are the refrigerated slim Jim's, they suck.

Agreed. Very bland. I gave 2/3 of the package away.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

GORDON posted:

Agreed. Very bland. I gave 2/3 of the package away.

I took a bite of one, and ended up throwing the rest out.
Didn't even make them doggo treats.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Same, ate part of one package and threw the rest away.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I like the duke's beef stick dealios.

Someone post a picture so I know what to avoid.

Edit: these?

Moey fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 25, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

^^ yup

These ones.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Woodsy Owl posted:

The place has an excellent mission statement but it’s really boring. You will learn very little about the history of the cultures. The shows are incredibly poorly produced as well; if you have to go, save your hearing and skip the show at the end of the night.

Edit: also the new and improved Costco paper towels are inferior to the old

I really enjoyed the Bishop Museum myself. My wife grew up on Kauai / Oahu, though, and still has family there, so we probably visit more than the average vacationer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

-The Crouching Lion trail is marked as closed, but it's really just a sign that people walk around. Gorgeous views in every direction in only a few miles if you do the loop.

Nothing makes me crazier then this. The trail is CLOSED because it's NOT SAFE and DEGRADED. A quick Google shows that the trail is an eroding mud pit with exposed tree roots. So you have to step on the roots, which with enough foot traffic, will weaken the trees, which will fall down in the next storm, which will further weaken the trail. Rangers don't close trails just to be dicks about it! By hiking and biking closed trails, you are damaging the trail, and someone sees you hiking, and thinks "Oh it must be ok if they're doing it", leading to a cascade of damage. Then someone will get hurt, and they'll sue the park, and the park can't build whatever cool thing or hire a new ranger and wow why does the park suck now.

"Oh just build better barriers." That costs money, and they ALWAYS GET TORN DOWN. God forbid safety get in the way of anyone's looky-loos.

Stay off closed trails.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nothing makes me crazier then this. The trail is CLOSED because it's NOT SAFE and DEGRADED. A quick Google shows that the trail is an eroding mud pit with exposed tree roots. So you have to step on the roots, which with enough foot traffic, will weaken the trees, which will fall down in the next storm, which will further weaken the trail. Rangers don't close trails just to be dicks about it! By hiking and biking closed trails, you are damaging the trail, and someone sees you hiking, and thinks "Oh it must be ok if they're doing it", leading to a cascade of damage. Then someone will get hurt, and they'll sue the park, and the park can't build whatever cool thing or hire a new ranger and wow why does the park suck now.

"Oh just build better barriers." That costs money, and they ALWAYS GET TORN DOWN. God forbid safety get in the way of anyone's looky-loos.

Stay off closed trails.

You're very passionate on that subject.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Pro tip, I cut them into nibs, roast them in a pan for a bit. God tier snack.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Moey posted:

Nah its actually these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N6X9VHZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_0RuvEbC7A5H88

The 28 pack is on sale for 10 bucks. I dunno, they're alright. I have a high tolerance for bad beef

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

GORDON posted:

Entirely correct though. rear end in a top hat tourists violating access is how things go from "temporarily closed" to "forever closed"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GORDON posted:

I was a park ranger.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Entirely correct though. rear end in a top hat tourists violating access is how things go from "temporarily closed" to "forever closed"

I'll try to do better in the future. It seemed like most of the folks on the trail were locals, but that's no guarantee they know any better.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StormDrain posted:

We did three Costco vacations and all were lovely. The first one I actually had to call in to coordinate and the rep was very knowledgeable about the hotels and everything. Now that I'm more comfortable with international travel I haven't used it but the coordination they did was incredible. Te first one to England Scotland and Ireland I couldn't beat the price at all and the second was to Italy and I could get close on price elsewhere with lower quality of service, so I stuck with Costco.

You know it's going to be a classy trip with a guy holding a sign with your name picking you up at the airport.

Or the guy that meets you in your hotel lobby who walks you to a taxi boat, then to his car to the airport in Venice.

Hell yeah, we did the London/Ireland trip and it was amazing. Our hotel in London was on the Thames, directly across from the London eye. Had the names at the airport and private cars to the hotels and everything. Zero stress on the whole trip since everything was very well planned out in advance. Wife was stoked we got to stay in a real castle!

We actually called in to book too because the package came with a “$500 value” London trip voucher that came with like prepaid entrance tickets and double decker bus rides we didn’t really want to do. Talked to the rep and he took off he voucher and knocked $400 off the package price which owned. Very nice reps.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 25, 2020

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Picked up a couple of frozen ducks at the Lynnwood Business Center for one third the price they are at the local butcher, when he even has them. They also had half a goat hanging up in the freezer, but I'd probably die from trying to eat that much goat curry.

Tempting though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Minto Took posted:

What kind of seeds?

Sesame. My wife says they've always had them but that I eat the hotdogs too fast and I don't notice. I would remember sesame seeds.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

No way, I've never had seeds on my dog buns.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The buns have always had seeds

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

drat, now I gotta inspect all the dog pics posted in this thread

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I feel like I'm being gaslit, but I checked my google photos. Their search function is superb. They have always had seeds, but the seeds were few.

This one I had yesterday was exceptionally seeded.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Nah its actually these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N6X9VHZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_0RuvEbC7A5H88

The 28 pack is on sale for 10 bucks. I dunno, they're alright. I have a high tolerance for bad beef

Not a fan, the country archer flavor is mostly salt. Maybe pan roast as above, or use like bouillon?

Adventures in dried meats, tried the HTY beef: very sweet flavor, soft but fibrous texture. I grab the golden island pork jerky for desserty gnawing.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Late Unpleasantness posted:

Not a fan, the country archer flavor is mostly salt. Maybe pan roast as above, or use like bouillon?

Adventures in dried meats, tried the HTY beef: very sweet flavor, soft but fibrous texture. I grab the golden island pork jerky for desserty gnawing.

I don't really like jerky/beef with sugar, unfortunately. I am addicted to salt which is probably why I like those ones. I do wish they had more of a garlic flavor though

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/onlyyoontv/status/1232360098434957312

looks like its time for another Costco run!!!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

-If you're around Waimea Bay, stop by the beach and jump off the rock everyone is jumping off.
-Try some garlicy shrimp from a food truck parked by a shrimp farm.

If you're looking at Oahu the North Shore is much more of a traditional vacation spot, and you can take day trips to the city for Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, etc.

I booked a trip for 5 nights at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort. PBUC - it comes with a CostCo gift card! Can't wait to get my Waikiki CostCo Dog.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Chinatown posted:

looks like its time for another Costco run!!!

I'm imagining myself in a The Mist situation, but inside a Costco. I think I'd be okay with that.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

I saw this happen at my Costco today. A lady bought like $800 worth of stuff and she said she was preparing for when this thing gets out of hand here.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

*laughs in Mexican soups and cans of Sprite*

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I may or may not have picked up several cases of water with my hot dog yesterday.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've got the Costco credit card now, which basically replaced the Amazon one in my wallet.

4% gas vs 2% gas,
3% dining vs 2% dining.

It also replaced my Costco membership card, so this credit card lightened my wallet up by a net of 1!

I just wish you could pull the cash out when you want, instead of getting a yearly check.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ravendas posted:

It also replaced my Costco membership card, so this credit card lightened my wallet up by a net of 1!

Wait. Does this mean I can just use the credit card as the membership card at the gas pump too?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Wait. Does this mean I can just use the credit card as the membership card at the gas pump too?

Yup.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ive been dual wielding my cards since I got my credit card a month or so ago. :negative:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Chinatown posted:

Ive been dual wielding my cards since I got my credit card a month or so ago. :negative:

Lmao I did that for a while too, until I went carless

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Hoshi posted:

Lmao I did that for a while too, until I went carless

Get the Costco app and you don't need a single card!

I still drop my Costco Citi Visa card on the belt at checkout, saves the cashier time.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Chinatown posted:

And the best yet is that when you insert it for a membership card it will ask if you want to just charge it to that card. Hit button and no need to swipe a 2nd card at all.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I still drop my Costco Citi Visa card on the belt at checkout, saves the cashier time.

Can you use it at the pumps?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Trastion posted:

And the best yet is that when you insert it for a membership card it will ask if you want to just charge it to that card. Hit button and no need to swipe a 2nd card at all.

Can you use it at the pumps?

Just opened my app, it says, 'Your digital membership card cannot be used at the Costco gas stations at this time', bummer. I switched to EVs in my garage in Decmeber of 2018 so I assumed the app would work, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I stand mine up in the customer item separator things