Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chinatown posted:

saw these last weekend

And?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

FilthyImp posted:

Get ahead of the curve on TP, wipes, diapers, etc.

2 pack of eggs will last you for a bit and help keep your food varied (as well as go towards any baking).

Bag of flour, sugar, and salt or any other condiments you may need.

Stock up on some pastas, rice, beans.

Tuna, spam and other canned items.

Soy milk is shelf stable and will last until 2021, but refrigerate once you open one.

Tilapia cutlets just need some lemon juice and light salt in an air fryer for a quick and healthy meal.

Those bags of rotisserie chicken meat are handy.

And Bitchin Sauce + pita chips for fatassing.

Good advice I am in Utah and we are going full chud

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

im on a post lockdown diet =\

8lbs in 3 weeks fyi

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Derpies posted:

Gonna Costco tomorrow any hot tips

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
does costco sell Bunkers for the covidocolypse

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That cookie dough is loving good. I bought it at Whole Foods ages ago for an absurd price and I felt very good about it, I’d only imagine it’s a better proposition from Costco.

Idk about that brownie batter.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Let’s start a petition, gotta keep my cheesy-Mac buckets somewhere

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Coredump posted:

What sort of things did you get? I should probably do the same and I’m cribbing ideas.

I went heavy on proteins since that was in shortage last time round. Ground beef, ground turkey, bag of frozen chicken thighs, pack of steaks, frozen salmon.

Also broccoli, cheeses, pack of tortillas, and for some reason three kinds of fizzy waters.

For the most part I look for flexibility in making meals.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Coredump posted:

What sort of things did you get? I should probably do the same and I’m cribbing ideas.

covid rebound is definitely happening and if you want to get ahead of the curve, do it before the weekend. like, ideally ASAP. shits about to pop off and i dont want ot hear any of you babies whine about not being able to find poo poo tickets being warned a week in advance

- 12 pack of coconut milk for lentil curries/instantpot/desserts (get 2x flats of it, it goes by very quick and theres some weird coconut milk shortages going on. poo poo lasts awhile too so if you dont use it all, oh well)
- blocks of paneer for paneer tikka masala, blocks of cheddar (you can freeze some just fine) for mac n cheeses or grilled cheeses or w/e, block of parmasean, etc
- toiler paper (2 packs, i think you may have to buy 1 of each different brand because thers a limit 1 still)
- paper towels (same as above) or get the box of microfiber clothes if they have them and reuse those
- frozen normandy blend
- butter blocks (freeze it)
- any sort of storage goods either glass containers, ziplocs, etc, make sure you're stocked up on parchment paper and other baking stuff
- bread flour if they have it, it's still rare. also get the nice APF
- kirkland sea salt/pepper / vanilla extract / any spices you're low on
- yeast if you dont have much
- oils of any sort
- dried pasta packs
- basmati rice
- bag of sugar
- flat of eggs
- protein powder
- any medical stuff like bandaid kits, isopropyl, wipes, medicine or vitamins, etc
e: - canned tomato paste and canned tomato sauce (very important too)

iirc costco doesnt carry dried beans or lentils unfortunately but those would be good if they do

and anything else that'll freeze or persist. probably not worth buying a whole lot of meat or veggies because it'll go bad before you use it.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 1, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xaris posted:

Excellent list +
- any medical stuff like bandaid kits, isopropyl, wipes, medicine or vitamins, etc

iirc costco doesnt carry dried beans or lentils unfortunately but those would be ogod
I forgot about the health stuff. Definitely look and see if you need anything because people are going to run to alcohol once the hand sanitizer is gone.

Look into a Costco around an area with more diverse demographics. My local Costco in Arleta has dried beans, but they also carry the packs of instant Madras lentils.

And the point about perishable goods is right on. Those clowns with carts full of milk or meat either found out how to make home cheese/yogurt/jerky or they had a bunch of rotten poo poo within 2-3 weeks.

The important thing is to look at getting a nicely rounded out pantry and freezer (so, like, a bag of Krusteaz pancake mix or frozen Eggos help you to keep from digging into the flour too much). With cities getting past 5-6,000 cases per day, going out to grab some extra heavy cream or whatever becomes less of an appealing option.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 1, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah, that's why I bought the second freezer lol. Costco bless, been looking for a second for literally 4 months now and one showed up last friday. wasn't planning on buying a freezer when I went into town, bought it right when I saw it.

I'm running up to the cool grocery store soon. They have an in-house butcher, it's not prime costco cuts but they frequently used to run $2-3 for tbone, $3-4 for porterhouse, and $4-5 for ny strips, cut however you want (thicc). I'm sure those deals haven't survived covid but if anyone's going to have steaks at a reasonable price I bet they'll pull through.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 1, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FilthyImp posted:

With cities getting past 5-6,000 cases per day, going out to grab some extra heavy cream or whatever becomes less of an appealing option.
I wonder, can you freeze heavy cream and stuff like that or does it get hosed up?

i've been to some costcos in diverse areas and i dont think ive seen dried beans, just canned ones btu i'll take a look next time. i'm ok for now, ive got a pretty good supply of dried beans and lentils but could use more. lentils i go through real quick with an instantpot

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Xaris posted:

I wonder, can you freeze heavy cream and stuff like that or does it get hosed up?

i've been to some costcos in diverse areas and i dont think ive seen dried beans, just canned ones btu i'll take a look next time. i'm ok for now, ive got a pretty good supply of dried beans and lentils but could use more. lentils i go through real quick with an instantpot

google suggests you can freeze milk for up to 6 months (and the dimples on the side are there to pop out and provide the space for it to freeze).

you can definitely freeze cheese, especially in a vacuum packer.

I would say cream is probably a yes in terms of reconstitution (probably need to stir it up?) but I'm not sure a carton would survive freezing. If you put it in a 80% full tupperware or something, to give it some expansion room, then probably?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 1, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paul MaudDib posted:

google suggests you can freeze milk for up to 6 months (and the dimples on the side are there to pop out and provide the space for it to freeze).

you can definitely freeze cheese, especially in a vacuum packer.

I would say cream is probably a yes in terms of reconstitution (probably need to stir it up?) but I'm not sure a carton would survive freezing.
hmm ok that's a good idea, yeah I've had no problem freezing cheese/butter, but I havent tried milk/cream stuff. I'll pickup some tomorrow. We don't really drink milk except for baking/cooking so if we can freeze milk then it should last us a very long time. maybe i'll throw a gallon up in there or split it into smaller containers so I only need to thaw a little bit at a time. I think I can pour heavy cream into a different container as well because yeah probably the cardboard carton will get hosed up.

I do go through ton of Oat Milk but I have to get that from Whole Foods to get the only good brand. I should probably make a stop tomorrow and get another 5 half gallons cartons of that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Xaris posted:

hmm ok that's a good idea, yeah I've had no problem freezing cheese/butter, but I havent tried milk/cream stuff. I'll pickup some tomorrow. We don't really drink milk except for baking/cooking so if we can freeze milk then it should last us a very long time. maybe i'll throw a gallon up in there or split it into smaller containers so I only need to thaw a little bit at a time. I think I can pour heavy cream into a different container as well because yeah probably the cardboard carton will get hosed up.

I do go through ton of Oat Milk but I have to get that from Whole Foods to get the only good brand. I should probably make a stop tomorrow and get another 5 half gallons cartons of that.

I really don't think you need to worry about milk itself too much but idk. dairy farming is not really something that's going to be affected heavily by a person to person plague, it's either an automated operation where the cows milk themselves when they get full (yes), or it's a small family thing. Either way it's way out in the country.

You may have to settle for 0.5% or skim instead of 1% when you see it, but I don't think it's really going to be something that is in long-term shortage. The dairy supply chains are pretty tightly integrated for freshness, and not particularly affected by the plague, imo. In the first wave milk sold out because of dumbshits buying everything in sight but it really was not off shelves very long, it hasn't been a chronic supply problem item.

Meat supply requires much more manual processing in close-quarters, air conditioned situations, and that may well be a problem. There are some things like bread yeast that have simply not recovered at all and I haven't seen on shelves again (eventually ordered a 2 lb bag over loving ebay). Pasta apparently is surprisingly complex to make as well, so if you want it better lay in a stash, but you can make it yourself with a press and flour.

I wouldn't really worry about dairy though. Complex dairy products, maybe. Cheese or cream cheese or yogurt or that kind of thing. But you can freeze cheese.

BTW it's also real loving easy to make your own yogurt, nuke a quart of milk at low microwave setting until it's almost boiling (kill off the natural culture), let it cool a few minutes, pick off the skin, pour into a tupperware, stir in a scoop of commercial yogurt, close the tupperware lid and float in an ice chest full of faucet-hot water to keep it going for a few hours. Refrigerate, stir, and enjoy. Repeat before you eat the last bite so that you can roll the culture over. It's not hard at all and it's delicious, and you can control how tangy it gets by how long you let it ferment in the hot chest.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 1, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xaris posted:

You could try freezing it in ice cube trays and then putting the milk-cubes in a big zip lock!

Whole Foods wasn't too affected in my area by shortages. Dunno if it's because it was in a fancy area, though.

Anyway, if your local church doesn't to beans, go to a Mexican market or a Sprouts/Whole Foods. They'll have bulk-bins you can fill up at!

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Anyway, if your local church doesn't to beans, go to a Mexican market or a Sprouts/Whole Foods. They'll have bulk-bins you can fill up at!

Bulk bins are empty at the big chains due to covid. They might or might not have some pre-bagged bulk goods out depending on your store.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FilthyImp posted:

You could try freezing it in ice cube trays and then putting the milk-cubes in a big zip lock!

Whole Foods wasn't too affected in my area by shortages. Dunno if it's because it was in a fancy area, though.

Whole Foods has been loving barren and wiped clean most of the times I've gone, its also chock full of instacart shoppers to the brim so yeah i found pickings pretty slim, but it is where I did stockup on beans and lentils just before pandemic hit in feb ebcause i saw the writing on the wall. Sprouts is pretty good and I should go there more often. The bins are closed off but they do have prebundled bags last i checked

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Derpies posted:

Gonna Costco tomorrow any hot tips

when's the last time you bought pineapples

buy pineapples

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chinatown posted:

i feel like they sold wackoff sheds for 1000 buxx but if I can get in there with a 20 dollar ax then you might wanna reinforce it a bit

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Chinatown posted:

saw these last weekend

I got the cookie dough a few weeks ago and it's super good. Very rich. We can only eat a little bit of it at a time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

can you eat vegan cookie dough raw

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alan Smithee posted:

It says on the packaging that you can eat it raw. We're almost out and haven't even tried baking it yet. We just take a scoop into a bowl and eat it like ice cream.

It's one of those things that, once you take the eggs out to make it edible raw...what's really left that's not vegan? I prefer buying the non-vegan options when available but this being labeled vegan seems to me like a low effort marketing effort.

What's kind of funny is that "edible cookie dough" was on our shopping list since before COVID (my wife really really wanted it, I do all the food shopping and I couldn't find it anywhere). Then I came home with this and she absolutely lost her poo poo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
this is how the world ends

this is how the world ends

not with a bang, but with a fist full of 'co cookie dough

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Renegret posted:

It's one of those things that, once you take the eggs out to make it edible raw...what's really left that's not vegan? I prefer buying the non-vegan options when available but this being labeled vegan seems to me like a low effort marketing effort.

Most cookies are like 50% butter by volume, what do they use instead to make them vegan?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Cabell posted:

Most cookies are like 50% butter by volume, what do they use instead to make them vegan?

shortening

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Walrus posted:

shortening

duh, my brain isn't working so hot yet this morning!

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Alan Smithee posted:

If you have a suis vide you can make normal cookie dough that's safe to eat by pasteurizing the eggs first.

quote:

Place the eggs into the sous vide with a temperature of 135 degrees fahrenheit for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, take the eggs out and place into ice cold water

Use eggs in whatever cookie dough recipe you may have.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Still no TP at my Costco, but had a whole wall of paper towels and no limits. Had to cave and buy the lovely TP at Safeway (who only had 1 brand in stock, and uh, its not a brand I have ever seen) :saddowns: I am jealous of you goons whose churches are stocked with it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

fordham posted:

If you have a suis vide you can make normal cookie dough that's safe to eat by pasteurizing the eggs first.

It's actually the raw flour that's most dangerous for cookie dough; you can toast the flour you use in the oven beforehand for safe to eat cookie dough, but it will bake a bit oddly, from what I recall.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pinus Porcus posted:

Still no TP at my Costco, but had a whole wall of paper towels and no limits. Had to cave and buy the lovely TP at Safeway (who only had 1 brand in stock, and uh, its not a brand I have ever seen) :saddowns: I am jealous of you goons whose churches are stocked with it.
its been well-stocked but i have also only gone on a weekday at either 9am. if your costco is doing "senior hour", just show up on a tuesday and they're probably just letting everyone in; at least thats the case here. or try like weds before closing.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Xaris posted:

its been well-stocked but i have also only gone on a weekday at either 9am. if your costco is doing "senior hour", just show up on a tuesday and they're probably just letting everyone in; at least thats the case here. or try like weds before closing.

If I still lived 2 blocks away, I would totally do this. Sadly, I am an hour and a half drive now, so less feasible to get there during work days for me.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Xaris posted:

- 12 pack of coconut milk for lentil curries/instantpot/desserts (get 2x flats of it, it goes by very quick and theres some weird coconut milk shortages going on. poo poo lasts awhile too so if you dont use it all, oh well)

Never seen this at my church but im going to keep an eye out big time for it tonight.

Is it near other canned stuff like tomatoes/peas?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

seance snacks posted:

Never seen this at my church but im going to keep an eye out big time for it tonight.

Is it near other canned stuff like tomatoes/peas?

yeah its in that vicinity, or like near baking stuff but all that is like next to each other for me

its the chaokoh brand but maybe you'll have thai kitchen brand, idk

I can't remember what the unit price comes out to be but I think it's like $15/12 which is about the best price you'll ever find it for in the states. Even all the asian-ran grocers like 99 Ranch adn stuff, you're still looking at usually around $1.50 to $1.69 for the cheapest watery brand--sdometimes going up to $2+ ea which is insane

Trader Joes used to be the be the best place to buy Coconut Milk and it was $1/can but it's been creeping up the last few years and they're having shortages now, they were out for like the last month+. They're coming in around $1.59 can each, so yeah Costco is a good deal.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 1, 2020

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I eat raw cookie dough every time I make cookies and have never gotten food poisoning from it. gently caress living in fear of glorious cookie dough.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

I eat raw cookie dough every time I make cookies and have never gotten food poisoning from it. gently caress living in fear of glorious cookie dough.

:agreed:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

On one of the last few trips I made, my Costco did carry 5.5 lb bags of a dry bean/pea/lentil mix, fwiw.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therobit posted:

Same, brownies too. It's one of the best parts. (Do not take this advice if you are immuno-compromised and shouldn't be taking the chances.)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

pnumoman posted:

It's actually the raw flour that's most dangerous for cookie dough; you can toast the flour you use in the oven beforehand for safe to eat cookie dough, but it will bake a bit oddly, from what I recall.

Ben and Jerry's website had a recipe for eggless cookie dough, and it even gives instructions on how to heat treat the flour in your microwave. It's just for snacking on, not for baking though.

https://www.benjerry.com/flavors/recipes/edible-cookie-dough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I wouldn't eat imitation sashimi, I wouldn't eat imitation steak tartar, and I would eat imitation cookie dough.this is health and safety gone MAD! SOMEONE CALL THE DAILY MAIL!