Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
YO, why you cooking a brain, big dawg?

:golgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

bird with big dick posted:

Got one in right now, think I'm gonna do a deep search on the freezer to know exactly where I'm at because I bet I have one or two more packs in there buried. I saw the writing on the wall pretty early and bought some extra in Feb or March.

so I got a whole NY strip loin at the cool grocery store ($4.99 a pound, and had them slice it nice and thick!) and I put them in individual vacuum bags.

in order to get them to seal (the machine can't pull enough of a vacuum if they're juicy) I had to put some paper towel in there. Is it still possible to sous vide them right in the bag with the paper towel, or will the towel gently caress it up?

(come to think of it I guess in the future I'll freeze them first and then bag them, that's the other way you can do it.)

I guess related question do I need to defrost them first before sous vide or will the machine eventually thaw them out and cook them? Normally of course I'd thaw them but sous vide is such a slow cooking method I'm not sure if it matters?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Paul MaudDib posted:

so I got a whole NY strip loin at the cool grocery store ($4.99 a pound, and had them slice it nice and thick!) and I put them in individual vacuum bags.

in order to get them to seal (the machine can't pull enough of a vacuum if they're juicy) I had to put some paper towel in there. Is it still possible to sous vide them right in the bag with the paper towel, or will the towel gently caress it up?

(come to think of it I guess in the future I'll freeze them first and then bag them, that's the other way you can do it.)

I guess related question do I need to defrost them first before sous vide or will the machine eventually thaw them out and cook them? Normally of course I'd thaw them but sous vide is such a slow cooking method I'm not sure if it matters?

If you didn't have the paper towel, you can definitely toss a vacuum sealed package straight from the freezer to the sous vide. It generally takes around double the amount of time, but make sure and look it up for your meat, thickness and temp. I don't think the paper towel will actually screw anything up by being in the package when you sous vide it, but it's definitely gonna be a wet nasty mess that sits next to your meat the entire time and who knows, it might even disintegrate and ruin everything.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Put some bitchin on that poo poo

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

These aren't frozen right? Like if I can repackage these one or two in a package and freeze them I'm down but that's gonna be a lot more difficult if they're already frozen.

Nope, they were fresh. And I was able to buy them on July 4th after most of the store had already been picked over and there were no decent sausages left. 10/10 would buy too much meat again.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

therobit posted:

Nope, they were fresh. And I was able to buy them on July 4th after most of the store had already been picked over and there were no decent sausages left. 10/10 would buy too much meat again.

Awesome. Will check them out Monday probably. Thanks for the tip!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah I’d be a little worried about the towel disintegrating.

But if it does you can probably just rinse it off, let it dry for 10 minutes, and then sear the poo poo out of it and in the end it won’t make a difference?

I’d probably take them out of the bag and throw the towel away just to be safe and stick them in a zip lock and use the water displacement method rather than bother resealing them.

The steaks I’m doing are in the bag they were frozen in, but no paper towel in it. Thawed I usually do them 2 hours in the sous vide but these were half thawed so planning on three. Frozen solid I’d maybe do 4 but not sure I’ve ever done frozen solid straight into the sous vide before. They’re also super thick 2” +

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I go right from frozen into the bath all the time. It’s become a routine to get a pack of 4-6 steaks from church, throw one in the fridge for that night, and then season, bag, and freeze the rest.

Then when I know I want steak that night it goes right from the freezer into a 133F bath for 3-3.5 hours. Comes out perfect every time with steaks that are about 1.5-2” thick.

E: I do the same thing with pork chops too, though they get 140F for about 2.5-3 hours.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 18, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

pbuc

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

x-post from the bbq thread, but here's my first costco prime packer brisket 3 hours in on the costco traeger

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
BEEFY :hellyeah:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Enos Cabell posted:

x-post from the bbq thread, but here's my first costco prime packer brisket 3 hours in on the costco traeger

Do you need that pellet tube for extra smokiness? I thought those pellet grills gave you all the smoke you would need, but if you need extra smoke with a pellet tube I'm not sure if should be lusting over one.

Edit: Brisket looks great btw, just was wondering about how it feels to actually smoke with a pellet grill

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

pnumoman posted:

Do you need that pellet tube for extra smokiness? I thought those pellet grills gave you all the smoke you would need, but if you need extra smoke with a pellet tube I'm not sure if should be lusting over one.

Edit: Brisket looks great btw, just was wondering about how it feels to actually smoke with a pellet grill

My pellet grill gets plenty smoky for meats. You can probably get better results smoking lumps but a pellet grill is dead simple and gets you 95% of the way there. Join us in the BBQ thread.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is my first time trying that pellet tube, I've been really happy with the smoker so far just thought for $15 I'd give a tube a shot. I mainly got it for cold smoking, but figured some extra smoke for the first half of a brisket cook would be cool.

e: pbuc

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 19, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If these BYD surgical-style masks Costco sells are the same as the BYD ones I bought from Amazon last week, they are pretty decent and in-stock again (though popping in and out of stock) for $21.99. My understanding is they are $20 in-store:

https://www.costco.com/byd-single-use-face-mask%2c-50-masks.product.100654341.html

Amazon's version was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086MTRH5T but they raised the price to $35 after I bought them.

There's apparently a whole backstory about how they converted their automotive plant to make masks and hand sanitizer.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Went by Church on the way home from work. Came home with NY strip and:

Pro move?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh god. The Spanish honey log is to die for.

Mods please change my name to Spanish Honey Log...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

that looks way better than the last cheese flight I picked up

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I tried them all tonight and I’m in love.

Spanish Honey Log is the standout but they’re all amazing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i still have a shamrock cheese

I dont know if it's still good

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Did you buy a cheese flight to eat at home by yourself/with immediate family cause that's one hell of a powermove.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That iberico is off the hook too.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

ArbitraryC posted:

Did you buy a cheese flight to eat at home by yourself/with immediate family cause that's one hell of a powermove.

Wait other people don't do this? Lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah my wife and I sampled each cheese along with our steak and salad. Obviously didn’t eat the whole thing, gonna work on the rest for lunch this week.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cartoon Man posted:

Obviously didn’t eat the whole thing,

I assure you that it is in no way obvious to not consume an entire cheese tray in a single sitting.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dude that wouldn’t have lasted ten minutes at my house.

Now I need too to Costco. Also I recently learned that the frozen tempura small pastries are excellent.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
This feta that they carry is really good by the way. Comes as 2 blocks in brine.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Costco by me previously always had ~12 pound strip loins for $5.79 a pound and I'd buy them and cut them 2" thick which is perfect for reverse searing them and then vacuum pack and freeze them but they haven't had them for months and months and now I think I'm getting close to running out (I don't know for sure because there could be some buried in my freezer) what do I do please help me I can't run out of good cheap steak
I work construction and one of my construction buddies happens to have cattle and had a kill date set pre-covid, I got in on that action and got 1/2 a cow, 2 people on my crew bought the other half.

Apparently kill dates are pushed back several months now and I can assure you finding a freezer over 7 cubic foot is hard to come by now.

It's Black Angus and all in it ran me like 3.9 cents a pound but I got some extra bones and all the liver/offal for free maybe? And it's all vac sealed except the burger.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cheese.... yuck.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Went by Church on the way home from work. Came home with NY strip and:

Pro move?

mannnnnnnnn this looks so much better than the one I had a few months ago, I loving love cheese but there wasn't a single one on the flight I had that was any good

Coredump posted:

Cheese.... yuck.

:chloe:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

also want to say the Dungeness crab they offer on weekends is dope, I was too lazy to order from somewhere or make another trip and had the money so I said gently caress it

no regrets

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Coredump posted:

Cheese.... yuck.

Mods?!?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Coredump posted:

Cheese.... yuck.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Coredump posted:

Cheese.... yuck.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

Cheese.... yuck.

:catstare:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I work construction and one of my construction buddies happens to have cattle and had a kill date set pre-covid, I got in on that action and got 1/2 a cow, 2 people on my crew bought the other half.

Apparently kill dates are pushed back several months now and I can assure you finding a freezer over 7 cubic foot is hard to come by now.

It's Black Angus and all in it ran me like 3.9 cents a pound but I got some extra bones and all the liver/offal for free maybe? And it's all vac sealed except the burger.

So you got half a cow for like 9 dollars?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So you got half a cow for like 9 dollars?

One small trick the beef industry doesn’t want you to know!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

therobit posted:

Have you tried a restaurant supply store like Smart Foodservice (formerly cash and carry)? I want to say I paid $5ish/lb for a vac pack of 8 or 9 peeled tri-tips. It was over a hundred bucks but we will be eating steak once or twice a week for a month or two.

:hf:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know if church sells grass-fed beef? My mom just moved and she's closer than ever to Costco. She's not having luck finding it at the regular grocery store, so she was going to try Costco. I bought her a membership the other year and she buys almost exclusively K-Cups online, which more than makes up for the membership fee for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

drat what price did you get?