Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We go into lockdown lite tomorrow. My sources tell me the line to get in is wrapped around the building at my local Costco. Note that Costco isn’t locking down, but logic has no place in this discussion.

Figure tomorrow will still be panic buyers, then Thursday starts week of thanksgiving panic buyers, then the week after is Christmas early bird panic buyers. I’m thinking 6:30PM the Tuesday after thanksgiving might be a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

GORDON posted:

Hit my church in NW Ohio today.

Couldn't find the face masks. I pick up another 4-pack as mine disappear... thanks, teen! But they're in a different spot every time I go. Couldn't find them today.

"1 per customer" signs were up at TP and paper towels, I still saw a couple olds with 2 each in their carts.

There were plenty of both, and so much Kirkland paper towels that they were double-rowed in the back of the store, and also filled the center of a row in the frozen food section.

And a personal anecdote, the last TP rush made me pay attention to how much TP my household went through. 1 man, 1 man-teen. I had purchased a Kirkland pack of TP in February before anyone knew what the pandemic was, I didn't need to purchase again until July. We watched the TP rush with bemusement. So he and I go through the big TP bundle in about 5 months. Having a bidet helps a ton, prolly.

That's my weird TP flex.

How do you even fit two TP and two paper towels in a cart with anything else?
If I ever get unlucky and have to pick up both in one trip I’m getting a flatbed.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hed posted:

How do you even fit two TP and two paper towels in a cart with anything else?
If I ever get unlucky and have to pick up both in one trip I’m getting a flatbed.

I don't recall seeing anything else in their cart. Two in the bin, 2 underneath.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Stopped by church after work, didn't seem noticeably busier than usual. Snagged some Charmin tp and Bounty paper towels, was worried they'd be out of both but was decent stock yet. I should never go after skipping lunch though, managed to come home with both stroopwaffels and the pb/choco mix. Didn't go with standard communion, opted for the chicken bake instead.

PBUC

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

Is this panic buying because of an increased awareness of Corona and people taking staying at home seriously, or the election?

It's a self feeding problem that drives shortages, the same thing that happened the first time.

Coronavirus is spreading faster than ever and election or no, there WILL be additional lockdowns (California is about to rescind all their relaxed guidelines for example).

So you go to Costco and you'd rather not go out again or don't know if they will have to close up or reduce hours, so you grab a roll of TP. Oh but stock is getting low, better grab two just in case.
Then the person behind you sees you grab two and the stock is getting low and they remember how it was a pain the rear end last time stock got low, so they grab two.
Now they're down to just 8 rolls left so it's a mad dash to grab remaining stock and everyone else starts thinking about driving to the next town to see if they have any TP or not...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Last time there was a TP shortage, it was impossible to find baby wipes too and I started running dangerously low until we reached the point where I had to buy whatever I could find. Except my kid gets a rash every time I use any non-water wipe, so for a while he had to just suffer through the rash since all I could get were a few loose packs of pampers sensitives at inflated prices.

So I'm totally 100% guilty of panic buying. As soon as NY announced we were shutting down again, I immediately ran to Amazon and bought 2 boxes of water wipes and an extra box of diapers for school/home/overnight each. But last time I didn't and took the moral high ground, and we paid the price both literally and figuratively. Why should I make my child suffer?

The difference I guess is that we will use all of this stuff in time, and I'm not buying 30 boxes to hoard in my bomb shelter.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GORDON posted:

That's my weird TP flex.

Not weird at all, when my wife went to international summer camp for three weeks I went through a roll. One. Mostly just went at the office anyway.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
No TP earlier this evening in Centerville, OH. The only thing back there was Kirkland paper towels which were running low. I picked up the spinach and cheese cannelloni to try tonight. After 37 minutes in the oven (suggested 25-30) it's still only hitting 95 degrees in the middle. Jury's out on when it will actually hit 165. I swear it's always hit or miss when I grab some prepared food whether it will be done close to the suggested time or much longer.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

When I went they had poo poo loads of TP (heh) but no paper towels. I went there for paper towels because we finally ran out after 18 months from the last pack. What did I do? I got TP because if they are running out of something they will be running out of something else next week. gently caress. Im the problem.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
I quietly stocked up on everything over the summer lull. I did so for work as well.

It amazes and confuses me that people are panicking about something that literally just happened earlier this year and we all knew was coming back.

Thang goodness Costco kept and enforced the 1-per limit this time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The lockdowns last time didn't prevent anyone from going shopping. People hoarding poo poo prevented people from buying toilet paper.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You fools didn’t listen to us bidet folks spreading the good news and now you’re scrambling to stock up on TP. We go through, maybe, 2 packs of TP a year. Paper towels, however, are a different story. Mine was out and were down to like 6 rolls so I hope they resupply soon-ish.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

FogHelmut posted:

The lockdowns last time didn't prevent anyone from going shopping. People hoarding poo poo prevented people from buying toilet paper.

And also demand shifting from business-type paper goods to consumer overnight. Manufacturing had been set up to support the status quo, and suddenly half the demand for dispenser paper was shifted to home use. It took them a while to adapt, so there was a huge demand jump without a jump in supply for a while.

Hopefully they haven't shifted back to the old ways so the supply can weather this current hoarding spree better than it did in April.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tricky Ed posted:

And also demand shifting from business-type paper goods to consumer overnight. Manufacturing had been set up to support the status quo, and suddenly half the demand for dispenser paper was shifted to home use. It took them a while to adapt, so there was a huge demand jump without a jump in supply for a while.

Hopefully they haven't shifted back to the old ways so the supply can weather this current hoarding spree better than it did in April.

There have been some good articles about how this whole thing is just the ultimate stress-test of a supply chain.

Its an insanely detailed system.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Tp shortages suck because I use like half a roll per dook :smith: i wish i knew how to fix this!

Anyway, think imma switch to Costco online or face the stores at some point. Got lots of dooks to take

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I found an item at my Costco next to work that doesn’t seem to be carried at my local Costco. It’s pretty big and bulky so I have no way to get it home from my Costco by work. Is there a way I can special order it locally instead or something?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Tp shortages suck because I use like half a roll per dook :smith: i wish i knew how to fix this!

Anyway, think imma switch to Costco online or face the stores at some point. Got lots of dooks to take

Eat less trash, trash panda

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Use paper towels instead if its that bad.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Eat less trash, trash panda

pentyne posted:

Use paper towels instead if its that bad.

No

I eat fine!

I have a sensitive hole!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

get a bidet

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Paper towels will clog your toilet, do not use them

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Panic buying jamón.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/XUNbxK_qiCI

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Xaris posted:

get a bidet

:emptyquote:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Hambulance posted:

I quietly stocked up on everything over the summer lull. I did so for work as well.

It amazes and confuses me that people are panicking about something that literally just happened earlier this year and we all knew was coming back.

Thang goodness Costco kept and enforced the 1-per limit this time.

This is exactly what I did. No panic buying for me. Any idiot could see what was going to happen if they just paid attention to the numbers for the past few months. I went last week because it was my regular time to restock paper products after 8 months or so. I hadn't been to Costco in maybe 2 months before then. My cupboards are completely full with pasta, rice, beans, soup, canned vegetables, fruit, ramen, etc etc etc.

I just go to the grocery store occasionally to get fresh stuff and use that while I still can. Once we can't go there anymore (if the GOP caves in and tries to stop people from dying, lol) then I'll be set with shelf stable foods.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

get a bidet

I actually might do this

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

SirPablo posted:

Panic buying jamón.

Jamon is the #1 most important item to secure going into quarantine.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Panic-buying jamon for the most luxurious quarantine bathroom. Bidet? Don't make me laugh. A paper-thin strip of ham is the only way to wipe.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Panic-buying jamon for the most luxurious quarantine bathroom. Bidet? Don't make me laugh. A paper-thin strip of ham is the only way to wipe.

:hai:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I actually might do this

do it, it's not a meme. there's a reason why all more advanced countries have them widely. we're just stinky smelling swine pigs walking around dry-scabbing our asses bleeding poo poo all over because touching your butthole with anything besides sandpaper is considered gay

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Lubricates as you go

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Lubricates as you go

Optimal anus viscosity

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Anyone know when Costco is gonna have a sale on the 3 Seashells?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Going for Xmas cards, stamps and kitty litter today. Anyone need anything

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I need more of that Smores mix.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Lubricates as you go

this guy gets it

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

StormDrain posted:

Going for Xmas cards, stamps and kitty litter today. Anyone need anything

1 bidet plz

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Anyone try the yuzu-miso sauce?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If anyone is looking for an upright freezer some Costcos have this 16.7cu ft. model in-store for only $569 which is a great price. I just picked on up this morning.
https://www.danby.com/products/freezers/duf167a4wdd/

It doesn't seem to be on their website but you can call around and ask for item# 1448784. No delivery so it's cash and carry only.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

wet wipes ya goof

once or two rounds with regular tp for triage, then a wet wipe for the more delicate operation