Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
So I finally tried that jamon ham with the family. Not worth it. Not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fizzymercy posted:

The healthcare workers skip the line thing is interesting. I'm supposed to be able to use my hospital ID to skip the line but I'm scared to try it cause just clean the kitchens and break areas. I'm always afraid I'll show them my ID and they'll laugh at me for being a janitor and wanting to skip the line.

You are just as essential as the doctors and nurses. I mean, I cook. And I'd feel no shame. I use my hospital ID when Chipotle did/does the BOGO offer. House keeping, maintenance, Transport? They're all essential to the machine that is all of the hospital.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fizzymercy posted:

I tried a pumpkin pie and hated it a lot. The one I got was utterly flavorless and the crust was soggy even after I put it through the oven. Did I get a bad pie, or are they usually very bland and under-spiced?

nah this is actually about right. i've always found their pumpkin pie very underbaked for whatever dumb reason, so at the minimum you do need to really crisp it up with an extra 10+ minutes of baking. that at least partially resolves the soggy-crust-problem. but honestly their crust isn't a good buttery-flakey crust still, it's just kinda more like... a thick piece of edible parchment sheet at best.

they are underspiced that's for sure still. it's really more to bring to a party somewhere and go see look we can feed 20 people with this pie. honestly pumpkin pie is so easy to make that it's only "worth" buying it pre-made as a time-saver but with the expectation that if you do that it'll be bland. gimme dem strong flavors of cinamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, cardamom, and tiny dash of black pepper and allspice.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 20, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

luchajones posted:

Sorry, this has been stewing in my head for a while, it's time to get it out:

Costco: I hope you like Jamon too

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Xaris posted:

nah this is actually about right. i've always found their pumpkin pie very underbaked for whatever dumb reason, so at the minimum you do need to really crisp it up with an extra 10+ minutes of baking. that at least partially resolves the soggy-crust-problem. but honestly their crust isn't a good buttery-flakey crust still, it's just kinda more like... a thick piece of edible parchment sheet at best.

they are underspiced that's for sure still. it's really more to bring to a party somewhere and go see look we can feed 20 people with this pie. honestly pumpkin pie is so easy to make that it's only "worth" buying it pre-made as a time-saver but with the expectation that if you do that it'll be bland. gimme dem strong flavors of cinamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, cardamom, and tiny dash of black pepper and allspice.

drat the pumpkin pie from my Co is amazing, guess I’m blessed.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Skip the line, hate the pie. Both are acceptable

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

luchajones posted:

I think they have the ham as a joke item, to fool people who think they are being fancy.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Cartoon Man posted:

drat the pumpkin pie from my Co is amazing, guess I’m blessed.

Whoa
I think it's just great and the crust is so light never like soggy so you have a lovely Costco or some are lovely and some aren't or something as far as the pumpkin pies are concerned.
However, absolutely I don't like my pumpkin pie all spicy with a ton of those warm spices no no no so I can see where those that do would find it bland.

Peace be unto this thread and all of you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the ones at ours are all undercooked too

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Tunicate posted:

The ones in the Australian cost co are great. Saves me from having to make them from scratch here.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I've been having a lot of the dinners from Costco from their fridge section. The stuff peppers are pretty awesome as is the ravioli lasagna with meat sauce, the enchiladas are decent and the mac and cheese and meatloaf are good too. The chicken croissant sandwich is also solid. I haven't had the beef bulgogi. The tacos were okay but nothing too special. It's pricy but split it into 2 or 3 and you get dinner for days.

My secret shame is event though I know the Costco Enchiladas are higher quality I prefer the Sams Club Enchiladas more.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Spinz posted:

Whoa
I think it's just great and the crust is so light never like soggy so you have a lovely Costco or some are lovely and some aren't or something as far as the pumpkin pies are concerned.
However, absolutely I don't like my pumpkin pie all spicy with a ton of those warm spices no no no so I can see where those that do would find it bland.

Peace be unto this thread and all of you.
ok yeah if you don't like strong spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, etc then yeah costco pie will be perfect for you, and that's perfectly a-okay. but idk all the ones ive had feel really underbaked and i prefer a thicker buttery-flakey-crispy crust and theirs is just like... weak but again that's subjective taste i presume. i only get it if i need to bring something big and cheap to a party but otherwise i find it really underwhelming. it's not capital B bad or anything, just disappointing compared to what easily could be done at home. but again, subjective in taste there i guess.

perhaps our costco is just particularly bad in always being undercooked big time

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gatts posted:

I haven't had the beef bulgogi.

i've had their beef bulgogi... it's... not great.. but not bad either. it felt like it was mostly the shittiest left-over cuts of meat that they can't sell otherwise and just weakly seasoned/marinated with some onion slices tossed in. like a lot of it does cook down to it's credit and wasn't as bad as it looked on first glance, but there straight up a lot of slabs of fat stringed together with gristle. you can do a way better kimchi or gochujang marinade and buying slightly better cuts of meat yourself for cheaper.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 21, 2020

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Gatts posted:

I've been having a lot of the dinners from Costco from their fridge section. The stuff peppers are pretty awesome as is the ravioli lasagna with meat sauce, the enchiladas are decent and the mac and cheese and meatloaf are good too. The chicken croissant sandwich is also solid. I haven't had the beef bulgogi. The tacos were okay but nothing too special. It's pricy but split it into 2 or 3 and you get dinner for days.

My secret shame is event though I know the Costco Enchiladas are higher quality I prefer the Sams Club Enchiladas more.

Stuffed peppers are a staple at our house, I get one of those each trip. Wasn’t super impressed with the ravioli lasagna, but the enchiladas are good too and we love the street tacos. Bulgogi was acceptable but not something I’d go out of my way for. We weren’t fans of the Mac and cheese or the fettuccini.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

bird with big dick posted:

If you work at Costco is it pretty easy to steal stuff or is the security pretty tight?

Not that easy. But then again, we have pretty good Loss Prevention staff.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xaris posted:

perhaps our costco is just particularly bad in always being undercooked big time

Given the apparent variance in the CostCo pizzas from location to location I’m not surprised at all that the pies would be similar.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

i've had their beef bulgogi... it's... not great.. but not bad either. it felt like it was mostly the shittiest left-over cuts of meat that they can't sell otherwise and just weakly seasoned/marinated with some onion slices tossed in. like a lot of it does cook down to it's credit and wasn't as bad as it looked on first glance, but there straight up a lot of slabs of fat stringed together with gristle. you can do a way better kimchi or gochujang marinade and buying slightly better cuts of meat yourself for cheaper.

It used to be so good, and has steadily gone downhill over the last 5 years. We got some about 2 weeks ago, and it was half cartilage and tendons.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

I'm starting to get into this thread more because food is now the highlight of my entire life.
What my whole family really enjoys are those tamales you can get, there's like three flavors but we just like the cheese ones. They're only available sometimes and they're wrapped in a corn husk and they microwave up in 2 minutes wonderfully. It's like a frozen bag of 18 for like 20 bucks maybe?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

When's the last time y'all got a big thing of their 9000 calorie muffins? I ate a ton of those as a kid and I even remember they would feed them to us on the way to practice in the swim team.

Can't really imagine eating one of those these days.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Spinz posted:

I'm starting to get into this thread more because food is now the highlight of my entire life.
What my whole family really enjoys are those tamales you can get, there's like three flavors but we just like the cheese ones. They're only available sometimes and they're wrapped in a corn husk and they microwave up in 2 minutes wonderfully. It's like a frozen bag of 18 for like 20 bucks maybe?

Are those the ones in the cold area? I don't dig them as much as the frozen ones from Trader Joe's, but they're pretty good.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
My teenager will eat tamales for breakfast. She’s also a HUGE fan of the tacos for some reason. I won’t complain.

I really like the stuffed salmon sometimes, but I’m alone there. When it comes to seafood, sadly we’re a fish stick and tuna salad house.

I make a pretty mean meatloaf, and the Costco one is pretty comparable. Plus, it’s ready to go.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fartington Butts posted:

When's the last time y'all got a big thing of their 9000 calorie muffins? I ate a ton of those as a kid and I even remember they would feed them to us on the way to practice in the swim team.

Buy them every once and a while.
I bag them and stick them in the freezer. Take one out at a time, defrost it in the microwave, cut it in half horizontally, pop it in the toaster oven to crisp up, butter it while hot, die in a diabetic shock heart attack. The ones from Trader Joes are light years better, but can't beat the Costco price.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fartington Butts posted:

My buddy eats half a pack of em a day when he's bulking, his TDEE is like 5000 calories though so I wouldn't try it if I was you.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Gatts posted:

hell yeah i love the chicken croissant sandwich. sometimes i get fancy and toast it in an 8 inch cast iron skillet in the oven. most of the time i scarf it down while standing up in the kitchen after i’ve put the rest of my haul away.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

binge crotching posted:

It used to be so good, and has steadily gone downhill over the last 5 years. We got some about 2 weeks ago, and it was half cartilage and tendons.

I didnt know they had it that far back but yeah I had it about a year ago and it was not great. definitely just the absolute shittiest left-over shavings that they re-package at a mark-up. easy skip

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

durrneez posted:

hell yeah i love the chicken croissant sandwich. sometimes i get fancy and toast it in an 8 inch cast iron skillet in the oven. most of the time i scarf it down while standing up in the kitchen after i’ve put the rest of my haul away.

I enjoy the sandwich for the football game after putting some spicy mustard and hot sauce on it and dip it in the honey mustard.

Thanks for the feedback on the bulgogi, I’ll avoid it

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Fartington Butts posted:

Are those the ones in the cold area? I don't dig them as much as the frozen ones from Trader Joe's, but they're pretty good.

yes they're in the cold area and the ones we like are only available around Christmas

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Here's some blessed Costco. When I went to one in Hawaii, which is ABSOLUTELY some of the best Costco goin' if you're lookin' for poké, I saw a gecko on a surfboard.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Fartington Butts posted:

Here's some blessed Costco. When I went to one in Hawaii, which is ABSOLUTELY some of the best Costco goin' if you're lookin' for poké, I saw a gecko on a surfboard.

PBUC

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

No way he can afford a membership, get him outta here.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Have you heard a mourning gecko? Those motherfuckers can convince anyone to give 'em a membership.

Real fact: They're also like the frogs they talk about in Jurassic Park. They can spawn without needing a mate.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 21, 2020

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Peace, brother. Let the gecko stay.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Anyone remember what the in-warehouse price of this food processor is?

https://www.costco.com/kitchenaid-9-cup-food-processor-plus.product.100520253.html

Tonight is the last day of the sale so I'm guessing it's probably better to grab it unless I want to wait for it to come on sale again.

Not sure I've seen it in my local stores anyway.

(it's weird that selection varies so much by store - not just on niche items but sometimes on fairly average/boring stuff)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

KakerMix posted:

Buy them every once and a while.
I bag them and stick them in the freezer. Take one out at a time, defrost it in the microwave, cut it in half horizontally, pop it in the toaster oven to crisp up, butter it while hot, die in a diabetic shock heart attack. The ones from Trader Joes are light years better, but can't beat the Costco price.

The corn muffins are heavenly if you cut them in half and toast them in a buttered pan on the stove instead.

But otherwise I rarely buy them anymore. They freeze well but they tend to go to waste for us anyway. Plus I just don't want the calorie bombs in the house if I can avoid it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Renegret posted:

But otherwise I rarely buy them anymore. They freeze well but they tend to go to waste for us anyway. Plus I just don't want the calorie bombs in the house if I can avoid it.

pretty much. just way way too many calories for something that is very easy to munch down on multiple and doesn't feel that feeling. it's great for when i need to be doing field-work leaving the house at 5:30am can just grab one and now i've got enough calories to last the rest of the day. but yeah it's just too many unless you have freezer space dedicated or they go to waste. haven't bought em in over a year now i think

i really liked the almond poppy seed but i just loving love poppy-seed anything.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i really like the einstein brothers bagels they sell at our costco i think theyre even better than the ones at the actual einstein bros locations cause they put the toppings on both halves. we rarely get them because you have to buy two bags (10-12 bagels) that we can never finish. one time we tried to buy just one bag and they made us go get a second one or put it back.

heading there today for essentials !! might try a pumpkin pie so i can weigh in on the debate

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Tunicate posted:

They're a bit bland, but not more than any other commercial pie. At my local costco, they're soggy, but not undercooked. They have that fully-cooked-and-then-saturated texture that, combined with the universally-present puddle of condensation on the tops of the pies, tells me they put the pies right into their containers without waiting for them to cool.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Anyone know when the jamon will typically go on sale in January? My Costco has like two pallets of them still. And while my house likes ham, we won’t eat near enough of it for $99. But if it goes to $49, I am willing to give it a shot.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

No way he can afford a membership, get him outta here.

With all the money he saved on car insurance? I bet he can afford a membership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Orvin posted:

Anyone know when the jamon will typically go on sale in January? My Costco has like two pallets of them still. And while my house likes ham, we won’t eat near enough of it for $99. But if it goes to $49, I am willing to give it a shot.

It probably depends on a combination of how fast they've been selling, how many of them they have left, and how badly they want to get rid of them. If they have a couple pallets left and discount it to $49 they'd still be taking a loss of hundreds of dollars on them. That might make them less likely to discount them so soon, especially for something with such a long shelf life. My Costco is still sitting on at least 10 pallets of jamon and I doubt they'll be discounting them anytime before February.