Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My chest freezer is roughly 7.5 cu ft and it's pretty large. It's only half full most of the time, and that's like months of meat and some old popsicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

schreibs posted:

They have some in my Costco at the frozen section. $120ish a package.

?! they're about double that where i am in america's fartland

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

bird with big dick posted:

now youre just trolling, my penis is nearly 7 cubic feet

Late reply but

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Also I'm more of a fan of chest freezers. Like yeah sometimes I have to dig and waste time, but often times if there's a sale I will fill that thing to the brim. Upright freezers are all about convenience and organization, which is fine, but I just want to hoard that meat.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I want to store different stocks and old veggies for stock in bulk, so I’m getting one if I can get a danged house.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

King Hong Kong posted:

I want to say it is the same kind Trader Joe’s used to sell before they got replaced with the worst mochi ice cream on the market.

Glad I wasnt the only one who noticed that. TJ's Mochi used to be good but god drat it's awful now.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

Late reply but

:five:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I bought a Frigidaire 16.6 Cu. Ft. frost free upright freezer years ago and it was one of the best purchases ever made, HTH

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Samadhi posted:

I bought a Frigidaire 16.6 Cu. Ft. frost free upright freezer years ago and it was one of the best purchases ever made, HTH

Got one of these secondhand from my in-laws, they were moving and didn't have room for it at the new place. Anyone with a Costco membership and the necessary square footage needs one.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Samadhi posted:

This guy fucks

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

This guy freezes

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
maybe there should be a freezer thread

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Maybe every thread should be a freezer thread

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Lotta homeowners flexing ITT.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The Four F's:
  • Fighting.
  • Fleeing.
  • Feeding.
  • Refrigerating.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yer homes. I got a chest freezer full of god drat STEAKs! And chicken nuggies for my wife and nieces

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

gently caress yer homes. I got a chest freezer full of god drat STEAKs! And chicken nuggies for my wife and nieces

Both is better, fwiw

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Lotta homeowners flexing ITT.

I sleep in a bunk bed except the bottom bunk is a chest freezer

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FCKGW posted:

I sleep in a bunk bed except the bottom bunk is a chest freezer

I sleep in a walk in with my wife.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
well, i didnt want to brag but my house has a walk-in freezer, so this whole chat is pretty far beneath my level

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

thathonkey posted:

well, i didnt want to brag but my house has a walk-in freezer, so this whole chat is pretty far beneath my level

Sweet, mine too, but only for like 3 month of the year.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I keep my flautas in a drone that hovers 40,000 feet above my home. With a press of a button, a so-called “Rod from God” is deployed, accelerates to nearly the speed of sound, and falls to the ground roughly room temperature. Gotta stick it in the microwave for 10-15. Still working out the kinks.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Summertime - that means Kirkland "margarita" white wine cocktail at >$9 for a big honking bottle. Just polished off most of it tonight watching Ghost Brothers. Good fuckin times.

Edited for misspellings

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Dicere posted:

Summertime - that means Kirkland "margarita" white wine cocktail at >$9 for a big honking bottle. Just polished off most of it tonight watching Ghost Brothers. Good fuckin times.

Edited for misspellings
These are very good if you add cheap tequila to them. And by "good" I mean you're going to break a deck chair doing a handstand after your fifth glass.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did they get rid of Kirkland Tomato Paste?! It was the absolute best! I can't find it now in the store and it's not available from costco online.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Went to church today to pick up my meds (Costco prices plus GoodRX saves me like $150/month holy poo poo) and got a pepperoni slice and a mocha freeze to eat outside before biking home. On my way out, I noticed something hanging on the door near the manager’s station:

Bought it on the spot, $20 cash donation. A truly blessed visit, PBUC.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Back in the parking lot after my trip to Costco. I was confused when I entered and half the people in the store weren't wearing masks. Apparently the governor of Ohio ended the mask mandate earlier this afternoon per CDC recommendations for vaccinated people with some exceptions. I still wore mine even though I'm vaccinated. If I'm judging a book by its cover, I'm going to guess that a good portion of the unmasked people are not vaccinated, knowing our state and who these folks probably voted for.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

fischtick posted:

I keep my flautas in a drone that hovers 40,000 feet above my home. With a press of a button, a so-called “Rod from God” is deployed, accelerates to nearly the speed of sound, and falls to the ground roughly room temperature. Gotta stick it in the microwave for 10-15. Still working out the kinks.

My local Costco is selling Traeger wood pellet grills. If you can work on the targeting accuracy you can deploy those sumbitches right into a 160º preheated cooking area

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GI_Clutch posted:

Back in the parking lot after my trip to Costco. I was confused when I entered and half the people in the store weren't wearing masks. Apparently the governor of Ohio ended the mask mandate earlier this afternoon per CDC recommendations for vaccinated people with some exceptions. I still wore mine even though I'm vaccinated. If I'm judging a book by its cover, I'm going to guess that a good portion of the unmasked people are not vaccinated, knowing our state and who these folks probably voted for.

Yeah agreed. I'm vaccinated fully and it's been about a month but even I'd still prefer to wear a mask for a little while for others and myself. The Lizardville/Winking Lizard close to me took aside their plastic barriers at the bar.

I do feel it's a bit too early to do this but the problem is people aren't vaccinating enough. I don't mind a "return to normalcy" but it does feel a little early for it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm gonna keep wearing a mask because I just don't want to show my face.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Samadhi posted:

My local Costco is selling Traeger wood pellet grills. If you can work on the targeting accuracy you can deploy those sumbitches right into a 160º preheated cooking area

Are Traegers still cool and good? I vaguely recall some company bought the name and started slapping it on shoddy equipment or something. Maybe it was marketing?

fake edit: there's a lot to unpack here. Traeger sold the brand, and it got resold a couple times, then Mr. Traeger started working for a different grill company and trading off his unique name. Nothing about build quality, tho
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/local/silverton/2019/12/30/traeger-grills-has-settled-suit-founder-joe-traeger/2670774001/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're heavy as poo poo that's all I know

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I picked up the Costco Traeger model a year or so back (Silverton 650 or somesuch) and it is awesome. Very heavy, holds temps like a champ, and has given me no trouble at all. Plus, you can smoke 4 pork butts on it at one time. Or a full packer brisket and 2 butts, or like 4 racks of ribs. I guess I'm saying just go buy one. (and a vacuum sealer and chest freezer for all the delicious smoked meats you'll have)

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Father's Day is right around the corner...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I looked at them last year and the junior model had some complaints about its ability to hold a temperature, and the chute apparently was impossible to clean out (which you are supposed to be doing frequently so the pellets don't absorb moisture). The bigger ones supposedly were more consistent about holding temps because they're bigger (more thermal mass) and because they burn a larger amount of pellets so it's easier for the auger to move a precise amount, the junior ones burn so few pellets they can't feed smoothly.

iirc the vertical ones like the Louisiana Smokers don't seem to be regarded as highly. The kamado style smokers (green egg style) are interesting but they're more of a manual thing. There are some temperature-controlled blower apparatus (thermoworks billows / signal) you can use on other types of smokers, where it'll use the blower to control the rate the charcoal burns, to keep it a constant temp. they are popular on the Weber Smokey Mountain smokers but it looks like they also can be used on the kamado style (not sure about the specific one costco has)

https://bills-site.com/grilling/thermoworks-billows-review-on-the-kamado-joe/

kamado style can also get real hot for searing stuff as well

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 18, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Enos Cabell posted:

chest freezer

Stop this.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

fischtick posted:

Are Traegers still cool and good? I vaguely recall some company bought the name and started slapping it on shoddy equipment or something. Maybe it was marketing?

fake edit: there's a lot to unpack here. Traeger sold the brand, and it got resold a couple times, then Mr. Traeger started working for a different grill company and trading off his unique name. Nothing about build quality, tho
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/local/silverton/2019/12/30/traeger-grills-has-settled-suit-founder-joe-traeger/2670774001/

My old boss brought their littlest one to a cookout and we plugged it into the outlet in the back of a Tacoma and did two tri tips and I was fairly impressed. They put out a good amount of sweet smelling smoke. The only real fault is that they don’t really get hot enough to sear a steak properly (and are borderline for pizza) but for anything lower than that (eg baking a chicken or hamburgers or doing ribs and brisket and stuff) they seem decent.

Personally the piece of equipment I lust after is one of the big Kamado Joe’s.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

I looked at them last year and the junior model had some complaints about its ability to hold a temperature, and the chute apparently was impossible to clean out (which you are supposed to be doing frequently so the pellets don't absorb moisture). The bigger ones supposedly were more consistent about holding temps because they're bigger (more thermal mass) and because they burn a larger amount of pellets so it's easier for the auger to move a precise amount, the junior ones burn so few pellets they can't feed smoothly.

iirc the vertical ones like the Louisiana Smokers don't seem to be regarded as highly. The kamado style smokers (green egg style) are interesting but they're more of a manual thing. There are some temperature-controlled blower apparatus (thermoworks billows / signal) you can use on other types of smokers, where it'll use the blower to control the rate the charcoal burns, to keep it a constant temp. they are popular on the Weber Smokey Mountain smokers but it looks like they also can be used on the kamado style (not sure about the specific one costco has)

https://bills-site.com/grilling/thermoworks-billows-review-on-the-kamado-joe/

kamado style can also get real hot for searing stuff as well

The blowers should work great on any kamado style as long as they have the right attachment for the fan which they should for any of the big names. For most of them it’s just a properly sized piece of thin stainless, you could make one with some tin snips for 3 dollars.

I have an egg and the Flameboss 300. Here’s a recent pork shoulder cook.

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/1948459

They make better ones now. There’s also some now that work by just opening and closing the top vent which wouldn’t give as accurate or quick adjustments probably but I want to try one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The blowers should work great on any kamado style as long as they have the right attachment for the fan which they should for any of the big names. For most of them it’s just a properly sized piece of thin stainless, you could make one with some tin snips for 3 dollars.

I have an egg and the Flameboss 300. Here’s a recent pork shoulder cook.

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/1948459

They make better ones now. There’s also some now that work by just opening and closing the top vent which wouldn’t give as accurate or quick adjustments probably but I want to try one.

is the lousiana smokers kamado style any good? it's obviously a not-inexpensive purchase so if there's some major design limitation I'd probably just look for the real thing. I see some people in the online reviews complaining about an uneven/non-flat firebox.

I guess costco is good about taking things back though if it comes to it.

https://www.costco.com/louisiana-grills-kamado-charcoal-grill-.product.100540119.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They certainly look decent but I don’t have any personal experience with them.

I think there’s some “you get what you pay for” for most of these like I’d expect cheaper ones to have shittier hinges and gaskets and less accessories and maybe you get a lemon once in a while. I think kamado joe has good engineering and manufacturing but they’re not cheap. And big green egg you don’t really get what you pay for like the ceramic quality is good but I think they’re overpriced and Joe has engineered better hinges and gaskets and stuff.