Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Behotti posted:

I am not a financial advisor but, I believe Hard pulls (ones that show on your credit report as an inquiry) can last about 2 years on there... but assuming you do the normal "good" credit stuff, you should rebound a bit in not too long.

I can confirm that unless something weird is going on with your situation, hard pulls do indeed drop off after 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

they said i should wait for about a month to pass and try again, that's when it should not really negatively affect my report anymore.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can confirm that unless something weird is going on with your situation, hard pulls do indeed drop off after 2 years.

:hmmyes:

guess i have to wait 30 days to make a bunch of Costco purchases :sigh:

that's probably good though, so my partner doesn't come home and we have like four new appliances and a bunch of (awesome, but) random purchases.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

they said i should wait for about a month to pass and try again, that's when it should not really negatively affect my report anymore.

that's probably good though, so my partner doesn't come home and we have like four new appliances and a bunch of (awesome, but) random purchases.

I would caution you, I believe every time you apply for the card, it adds another hard pull. You can check credit Karma to confirm.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Johnny Truant posted:

I would check when your current hard pulls will be dropping off rather than just spamming a bunch of new hard pulls.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

all good advice, Costco (thread) comes through yet again!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Did you call Citi? Sometimes you can get a rep on the line and ask for reconsideration.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Did you call Citi? Sometimes you can get a rep on the line and ask for reconsideration.

yeah, i tried and the person was very nice but said wrt credit pulls there isn't much to do :sigh:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

How many hard pulls are on your credit report? I wouldn't think you'd have to wait 2 years for them to drop off to get a credit card unless you've got some significant other issues. I just refinanced and the six hard pulls dropped my score a whopping 6 points and I can't imagine I'd have trouble getting a new credit card because of it.

There's also (apparently) a difference between "completely drop off" and "are no longer really a problem" Credit Karma says they can stay on your report for 2 years but your score usually "bounces back" in 3 months so I'd think applying again 3 months after all the hard pulls is what I would do.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Yeah, there’s no way they affect you for 2 years… I’ve heard 3 months. They just want to make sure you aren’t going crazy and opening a bunch of poo poo that messes up your earnings to debt ratio. Hard pulls without a corresponding account opening are pretty much meaningless

Seconding credit karma though. It feels weird and spammy, but it did help me out when I was rebuilding my credit

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
It's not just the hard pulls-if you took out a mortgage, there seems to be an impact if you have a period of time that your principle is higher than your loan amount was (frequently due to early interest accrual). Get those first few months of home ownership/refinance over to get out of that time frame, and you'll have much better luck getting cards and decent credit lines.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hello from the food court. Got a buncha mozz balls in my cart and I’m drinking my first ice cold fountain soda in over a year.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I made a quick trip today and my co finally has self-checkout! Sort of. There was a person with a scan gun who had to scan my stuff for some reason.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

phosdex posted:

I made a quick trip today and my co finally has self-checkout! Sort of. There was a person with a scan gun who had to scan my stuff for some reason.

Self checkout is a weird pseudo self checkout where the friendly gun scanner person intervenes regularly. I don’t mind usually because I have all my UPCs up in the cart and they just scan them all and move on.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Oh yeah I forgot mine has just gotten a few self checkout too. I had only 4 or so small items and breezed right through it. There was a person there but they were just making sure people knew what to do. I tried to scan my stuff before my card and they corrected me on that but otherwise I just scanned and paid and left.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
100% depends on the person working the self-checkout. I’ve had them be obtrusive before for some reason when I obviously know what I’m doing. It can be weird, especially during the more covid-y before-times

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Costco needs to respect my right to bear scanning guns. Home depot of all places lets me do it, and they let anyone in. When I have only a few items they tend to be huge. Like a TV or a shelving unit.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I used self checkout for the first time (at Costco) the other day and can’t see myself using it again unless I only have a couple of items. Was kind of a hassle for multiple reasons and ended up taking longer than if I just waited in the regular checkout line.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FishBowlRobot posted:

I used self checkout for the first time (at Costco) the other day and can’t see myself using it again unless I only have a couple of items. Was kind of a hassle for multiple reasons and ended up taking longer than if I just waited in the regular checkout line.

:same:

And mine didn't even have handheld scanners nor did the employees. So I'm fiddling with this huge bag of toilet paper trying to get it to scan.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
And here I am with employees that loaded my cart for me while I paid.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Costco needs to respect my right to bear scanning guns. Home depot of all places lets me do it, and they let anyone in. When I have only a few items they tend to be huge. Like a TV or a shelving unit.

Mine had no problem just giving me the gun and saying to scan everything? I dont even believe it required them to confirm my age for beer either. 10/10 would scan my own items again.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
So at one point I shared with the thread how an employee was mad at me for not putting my items on the belt at checkout. Since then I have been very diligent about facing all my items barcode up to make it easy to just shoot them all and move along quickly.

I usually go alone to Costco but last time I went with my wife. She witnessed me being weird about organizing the cart and thought my behavior was very strange. I told her how easy it would make checkout and the employees would appreciate it. She doubted me big time and continued to ridicule me while I rearranged the cart constantly.

Well we got to checkout and the cashier looks at my cart and actually says "aw yeah". Cue my poo poo eating grin.

Thank you, thread, for showing me the way.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
You put small, easy to lift items on the belt and large or heavy things like bottled water and toilet paper in the cart. It is a dick thing to leave everything in the cart.

I also turn barcodes up for the things I leave in the cart.

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You put small, easy to lift items on the belt and large or heavy things like bottled water and toilet paper in the cart. It is a dick thing to leave everything in the cart.

It really is, the more items in the cart the more likely it is to make a mistake ringing that order. Cashiers are only allowed 2 $10 errors in a 6 month period before they start running into writeups/demotions and small items are very easy to miss/double scan when they aren't being physically moved around.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rufio posted:

I usually go alone to Costco but last time I went with my wife. She witnessed me being weird about organizing the cart and thought my behavior was very strange. I told her how easy it would make checkout and the employees would appreciate it. She doubted me big time and continued to ridicule me while I rearranged the cart constantly.

What the gently caress has she ever worked retail before

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Oh good lets turn my post into talking poo poo on my wife

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KakerMix posted:

What the gently caress has she ever worked retail before

This is a very weird post.

Lots of people have never worked retail.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I also turn barcodes up for the things I leave in the cart.

Sure seemed like a dick move when the cashier was excited about how I had already arranged my cart the way they wanted it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I do anything I can to make retail workers job as easy as possible. Retail, service industry, you name it. I can't do what they do.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

Lots of people have never worked retail.

Imagine having to work in retail.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Armauk posted:

Imagine having to work in retail.

Imagine never having had to work in retail. Alt reply, lol imagine not having Enrique work your low wage often-demeaning job for you.

Honestly though, I think everyone should have to work service or retail for a year. Like compulsory military service, but for empathy rather than nationalism.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Working retail is not that hard. Like at all. It's by and by far the easiest job I've ever had.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gaius Marius posted:

Working retail is not that hard. Like at all. It's by and by far the easiest job I've ever had.

So you've never interacted with customers?

THAT is basically the single thing that makes retail soul crushing.

Well plus the poo poo wages, no benefits, and being easily expendable. (my experience)

Rufio posted:

Sure seemed like a dick move when the cashier was excited about how I had already arranged my cart the way they wanted it.

You said you did that after they got mad at you. There are even big signs on the belts that say put small items there and leave large items in the cart.

It's ok. Just continue what you're doing now. Follow the costcode.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 25, 2021

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Different people are good at different things?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

people who have not worked retail should get trained on barcode scanning before they use a self-checkout lane :can:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

people who have not worked retail should get trained on barcode scanning before they use a self-checkout lane :can:

This is the whole reason I avoid any self checkout if there is a line. If I can walk up and hit it right away? Sure.

Otherwise hard pass. Maybe the line zips through because everyone knows what they're doing. On the other hand, I've sat there too many times waiting for some retiree to figure out how it all works.

I'd much, much rather just stand in line at a register where I can at least be confident that the person doing the scanning has at least a minimal clue what they're doing.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I say the same thing about food service and buddy we are both wrong and weird for it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I hate self scans at grocery stores because it takes a few seconds for the scale to register that you put your item in the bag.

So I scan, place, scan.... poo poo... scan scan scan, ugh, wait, scan.... ok now it's working again. So now I just scan, place item in bag, stare at screen for it to register, then scan again.

This happens everywhere too. Not just a single grocery store. I still use it all the time though because grocery stores will have 12 lanes and one of them open and a huge line waiting for it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Self check-out is for two situations: you have a few items, or you have small children.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Somebody else said it already but Home Depot has figured out self checkout somehow. They give you the gun, it can quickly scan, and their system doesn't care about if you're bagging or not. It's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Self check-out is for two situations: you have a few items, or you have small children.

My local grocery store installed self-checkout, then fired most of the cashiers so the only lane open that isn't self-checkout is the one where you can buy tobacco, and that lane always has 5+ people lined up at it with full carts.

I kinda hate self-checkout. I am not a boomer.