Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is the frozen cacio e pepe pasta any good? I don't remember the brand but I was eyeing it on my last trip. It's packaged as a bunch of little frozen pasta nests, 2 nests per serving, which is a great packaging format since you can cook exactly how much you need. But I was curious how well a frozen nest of pasta and wet/creamy cacio e pepe sauce turns out when you heat it up.

fwiw the Trader Joe's version of this is really good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is the frozen cacio e pepe pasta any good? I don't remember the brand but I was eyeing it on my last trip. It's packaged as a bunch of little frozen pasta nests, 2 nests per serving, which is a great packaging format since you can cook exactly how much you need. But I was curious how well a frozen nest of pasta and wet/creamy cacio e pepe sauce turns out when you heat it up.

It reheats well on the stove. I haven't tried it in the microwave. I'm not a pasta fan and I think it is ok. My wife really likes it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My costco had a pallet full of the puzzles. I picked one up to send my mom, she thinks its funny that I shop there.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not a must-be-homemade purist but premade cacio e pepe seems silly, like premade carbonara. I don't see how the premade stuff can even save more than a minute or two and the beauty of the dish is how these simple ingredients in like fifteen seconds transform into something wonderful through the magic of hot starchy water

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

The Walrus posted:

I'm not a must-be-homemade purist but premade cacio e pepe seems silly, like premade carbonara. I don't see how the premade stuff can even save more than a minute or two and the beauty of the dish is how these simple ingredients in like fifteen seconds transform into something wonderful through the magic of hot starchy water
It's for people that don't know that Cacio e pepe is just stirring hot pasta, cheese, pepper, and butter together. Or people that don't keep good cheeses and butter on hand.

I can't imagine a frozen one is tasty though. For some reason any black pepper-forward dish tastes awful frozen and the sauce will get all pasty.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

fizzymercury posted:

It's for people that don't know that Cacio e pepe is just stirring hot pasta, cheese, pepper, and butter together. Or people that don't keep good cheeses and butter on hand.

I can't imagine a frozen one is tasty though. For some reason any black pepper-forward dish tastes awful frozen and the sauce will get all pasty.

There's some technique and timing involved in not causing the cheese to break in the sauce, but even then buying a frozen meal of pasta/cheese/pepper doesn't sound that appealing. At least with frozen chicken alfredo, you get some chicken in there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cacio e pepe is just very trendy the last few years and seems to be peaking right now. Trader Joe's is selling a jar of cacio e pepe sauce to pour on your pasta.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I went through Costco Auto program last weekend and no one got in touch through the week by phone or email.

I know it’s not ~normal times~ with regard to dealers but is it normal to just not hear back?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Hed posted:

I went through Costco Auto program last weekend and no one got in touch through the week by phone or email.

I know it’s not ~normal times~ with regard to dealers but is it normal to just not hear back?

I'd bitch to the program. I always respond to our Costco Auto customers at our dealership though I can see why some dealers wouldn't want to right now. I currently have 6 new cars in stock, do I sell this car at sticker to one of the 10 customers I have looking at that vehicle today or be forced to discount them to sell to a Costco member?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

I'd bitch to the program. I always respond to our Costco Auto customers at our dealership though I can see why some dealers wouldn't want to right now. I currently have 6 new cars in stock, do I sell this car at sticker to one of the 10 customers I have looking at that vehicle today or be forced to discount them to sell to a Costco member?

Or sell at the same markup that almost every other dealer in the area quoted. I looked at a bunch of dealers along with Costco Auto in July when I wanted to buy a new car and they all quoted me $3,000k above sticker on a $26,000 car.

Eventually I found a dealer who was willing to sell at sticker at least. Make sure to shop around.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

PolishPandaBear posted:

Or sell at the same markup that almost every other dealer in the area quoted. I looked at a bunch of dealers along with Costco Auto in July when I wanted to buy a new car and they all quoted me $3,000k above sticker on a $26,000 car.

Eventually I found a dealer who was willing to sell at sticker at least. Make sure to shop around.

Yeah we're refusing to do markups on our vehicles. We'll up sell with accessories but money for nothing makes no sense. In 2 to 3 years when most customers trade in their car, they're going to have more negative equity for no reason. Those dealers are chasing dollars today instead of looking down the road.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don’t lose sight of the fact that paying MSRP may be a “good” deal right now but it’s generally a terrible deal and likely will be again a year or two from now.

I paid 10 grand under MSRP for my F-150, if I’d have paid MSRP I’d have lost my rear end on it.

The best course of action is just to not buy a car right now unless it’s absolutely necessary.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hed posted:

I had dealers hounding me 18 second after hitting submit but this was a few months before everything went to poo poo.

I would still reach out to Costco, they can pair you with a different dealer. They might have one out there willing to work with you.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Hed posted:

That happened to me when I tried them. I called (1-800-755-2519) and they told me they couldn't help me because there weren't currently dealers available in my area and thanked me for trying the program. I think they forgot to call me and give me the bad news. Just call them and ask what's up.

And probably be prepared to just go shopping yourself. I haven't even gotten the USAA buyer program to work for me and all I want is a drat Subaru. Is that too much to ask right now? (yes)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

Don’t lose sight of the fact that paying MSRP may be a “good” deal right now but it’s generally a terrible deal and likely will be again a year or two from now.

I paid 10 grand under MSRP for my F-150, if I’d have paid MSRP I’d have lost my rear end on it.

The best course of action is just to not buy a car right now unless it’s absolutely necessary.

I paid $9k under on my Colorado and can sell it now for more than I paid but won't be able to buy anything to replace it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah, I tried to Auto Program a used car way back in April, and it was going swimmingly until a manager found out my deal was (a) started before they jacked the price up $5000 overnight, and (b) going through Costco.

Then suddenly the Jeep I was on my way to buy "needed too many repairs to sell" and was "actually going to auction." (It sat on the lot at higher and higher prices for the next month and a half.)

Costco was displeased about my experience. Dunno if it'll ultimately affect who gets the contract next time, but bitching at least made me feel better. And I still get to giggle about the management genius who thought WE SELL BAD CARS was the best way to stop a sale.

The Toyota dealer, on the other hand, was ready to move heaven and earth to sell me anything they had in their network, but just didn't have the inventory to get me the features I needed.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Molten Llama posted:

The Toyota dealer, on the other hand, was ready to move heaven and earth to sell me anything they had in their network, but just didn't have the inventory to get me the features I needed.

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, there's a looming magnesium shortage which is necessary for aluminum alloys in basically everything

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Do the Sherpa blankets ever go on sale? I want one real bad for the winter so I can save money on my gas bill lol, so I’d also like to save money on this, too. I’ll still buy it ofc, I love being cozy!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I can give you half of mine. It's huge.

I got a queen and I don't know why because it's just for my couch when I sleep on it. I should have gotten a twin. Well another one since I have two. :)

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

bird with big dick posted:

Don’t lose sight of the fact that paying MSRP may be a “good” deal right now

it is a Hank Hill auto market rn

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I can give you half of mine. It's huge.

I got a queen and I don't know why because it's just for my couch when I sleep on it. I should have gotten a twin. Well another one since I have two. :)

The twin is just short enough that my feet poke out when I'm stretched out on the couch. And you're just swimming in the queen if you're by yourself.

Why can't they make a perfect "me" sized blanket? My despair is palpable

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got the king for my couch because I was tired of needing to figure out which direction to arrange the full. Now I just grab it and any orientation is good enough to fully cover me

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
the king Sherpa is the best bet but is a pain to wash

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

WescottF1 posted:

The Momosan ramen with Iron Chef Morimoto on the box is asterisked at my church for $5.97. I still had half a box left but grabbed three more while there this evening.

Noooooo I was hoping this would become the standard ramen they carried, it's delicious

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

Noooooo I was hoping this would become the standard ramen they carried, it's delicious

Yeah after trying them all, this was the one my wife ended up liking best. I saw the $.97 price and also snagged 3 boxes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Clavavisage posted:

the king Sherpa is the best bet but is a pain to wash

I got in the habit of taking all the blankets to a laundromat and the ~$10 or so it costs is well worth it for being over and done in under two hours.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Hed posted:

I’ve never had an experience that lined up with how it’s supposed to go, but the dealerships here do not give a gently caress right now.

My experience a few months ago was annoying enough that I no longer want to replace my car, so it was probably an overall positive thing.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

No Pants posted:

I’ve never had an experience that lined up with how it’s supposed to go, but the dealerships here do not give a gently caress right now.

My experience a few months ago was annoying enough that I no longer want to replace my car, so it was probably an overall positive thing.

Are you saying you had a bad experience with the Costco auto program? What happened?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

It took a couple re-matches to find a dealership that would talk to me. The one that responded ended up ghosting me, and the first one I contacted myself eventually got back to me via an internet sales guy who tried to sell me the dealer’s wife’s car for the price of a new one. I pieced together that the car I wanted wasn’t and wouldn’t ever be available on this side of the country, so it was just an irritating couple of weeks.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Gotcha. I’m probably going to try it out if things ever start getting back to normal. I doubt I’ll have any better luck

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I was at Costco this morning, and there was ample paper products, puzzles, and even the cans of cold brew coffee were back in stock. The Kirkland brand diaper stock seemed to be getting a little low, but I wasn’t looking in the upper racks to see if they had more to restock.

They were playing some tricky games by moving butter out of the regular refrigerator cases, and into the big “dairy” cold room. It does ultimately make sense, but you get used to looking in a particular place for stuff, it can be a bit of a shock when a staple appears to be missing.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Orvin posted:

I was at Costco this morning, and there was ample paper products, puzzles, and even the cans of cold brew coffee were back in stock. The Kirkland brand diaper stock seemed to be getting a little low, but I wasn’t looking in the upper racks to see if they had more to restock.

They were playing some tricky games by moving butter out of the regular refrigerator cases, and into the big “dairy” cold room. It does ultimately make sense, but you get used to looking in a particular place for stuff, it can be a bit of a shock when a staple appears to be missing.

My Costco has done the same thing with the butter numerous times over the last year or so. The reason for it being that they need to make more space for other items in either the dairy cooler or the big cooler so the butter tends to move back and forth occasionally.

Speaking of stuff that might be missing from Costco, Costco is currently fighting with Coke over pricing, so until that gets resolved (maybe it already has I don't know) Costco will not be carrying Coke products.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Jingleheimer posted:

My Costco has done the same thing with the butter numerous times over the last year or so. The reason for it being that they need to make more space for other items in either the dairy cooler or the big cooler so the butter tends to move back and forth occasionally.

Speaking of stuff that might be missing from Costco, Costco is currently fighting with Coke over pricing, so until that gets resolved (maybe it already has I don't know) Costco will not be carrying Coke products.

That explains why diet coke was 14.39/35 12oz cans yesterday.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jingleheimer posted:

Does this affect Monster Energy Drinks? Why don't we have Kirkland Signature Energy Fuel Beverages yet?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

bagmonkey posted:

Does this affect Monster Energy Drinks? Why don't we have Kirkland Signature Energy Fuel Beverages yet?

monster is a publicly traded company, it isn't a subsidiary of coke :psyduck:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does that really warrant a psyduck

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Monster Ultra forever.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Why do people drink so much monster when you could drink the cheap soda that tastes like your preference and eat a caffeine pill for so much less money

(In before "Costco doesn't sell caffeine pills")

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lutha Mahtin posted:

monster is a publicly traded company, it isn't a subsidiary of coke :psyduck:

It's easy to see why someone would assume it was. Coke owns like 20% of Monster, and Monster heavily leverages Coca Cola's distribution and bottling networks. It's very likely that increased bottling and transportation costs on Coca Cola's side of things can lead to price increased for Monster drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Why do people drink so much monster when you could drink the cheap soda that tastes like your preference and eat a caffeine pill for so much less money

(In before "Costco doesn't sell caffeine pills")

Costco sells caffeine pills