Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo I thought Yan was dead, hope he can still cook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yan can cook

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

And so can you.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

pentyne posted:

There's a new brand of Boba ice cream bars replacing the old one. It's a box of 10 instead of the box of 3 boxes of 4, so there might be some eco-friendly less carbon waste going on with the switch.

Taste pretty much the same, except the boba itself tastes much more firm and it feels like there's more of it.

Just to add another perspective here, the wife and I did a taste test on the new brand vs the old (I even made it a blind test, we're such dorks) and the new brand won by a decent amount.

They're similar in overall profile but to us, the newer brand is stronger tasting. The same flavors, but turned up. We prefer that, YMMV

PS the current sale on $5 off per package of pork butts has been a blessing for the chest freezer ^_^

e: Costco meat in general, bought in bulk when it goes on sale, has been a godsend during these inflationary times. It's pretty much the only reason we even bother to stock beef anymore.

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 30, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Might have to try that. Half my childhood was watching Yan Can Cook all afternoon at my grandma's house.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
He's so pure and good

https://youtu.be/V37Pc45P4HA

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pentyne posted:

There's a new brand of Boba ice cream bars replacing the old one. It's a box of 10 instead of the box of 3 boxes of 4, so there might be some eco-friendly less carbon waste going on with the switch.

costco sells several different brands of frozen boba treats, i think i've seen 3 different ones on the same trip at my usual store

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTTHvRF1qQ

FogHelmut posted:

Please tell me this is available everywhere

The video's a couple weeks old, but its description mentions all of the Northeast Region "and coming soon to a Costco near you".

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I've seen it at my church

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I was at church today when I noticed a 3-pack of Kirkland Signature nonstick hard anodized skillets, that seem a little too perfect for cooking the wonderful mana I bring home.

Does anyone have any experience or so on how good the set is? It was $29.99 which seems a little too good for the price.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
They’re almost certainly just fine, non stick pans are rarely expensive and frankly a ripoff 90% of the time when they are.

My 2 pack of All Clad non sticks were like 35 bucks. They’re an inherently disposable medium.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

astral posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTTHvRF1qQ

The video's a couple weeks old, but its description mentions all of the Northeast Region "and coming soon to a Costco near you".

Ah yes, when I moved to California from the Philly region, I found out very quickly that General Tso's Chicken was exclusively a Northeast invention.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SourKraut posted:

I was at church today when I noticed a 3-pack of Kirkland Signature nonstick hard anodized skillets, that seem a little too perfect for cooking the wonderful mana I bring home.

Does anyone have any experience or so on how good the set is? It was $29.99 which seems a little too good for the price.

$10 for a new non-stick skillet is pretty reasonable. I wouldn't buy any non-stick skillets expecting it to last 20 years, but If you don't use any metal cooking utensils then those skillets will last years, possibly until they warp and deform from so much use.

If someone ends up ruining it, say for example cutting a steak in the pan, then you should chuck it out and get a new one.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I have the Tramontina 2-pack (10" and 8" I think?) nonstick pans for $35 and they're phenomenal and I highly recommend them

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
If you have the Business Costco near you, try and buy pans there as they have huge selections. I got some Tramontina branded ones that are awesome to cook with that I've never seen in normal costcos.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Knot My President! posted:

I have the Tramontina 2-pack (10" and 8" I think?) nonstick pans for $35 and they're phenomenal and I highly recommend them

Those ones work so well, and I'm so glad I bought them. I had been using some 20 year old ones that were flaky as hell, which I know you're not supposed to do but I was lazy.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

What about an upright?

ive been considering both. i'd need to rearrange my kitchen, but i feel like i'm missing out.

is the online shop worth any of the deals, or is it all in person?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

SourKraut posted:

manna was a free daily gift to the israelites that rotted when they tried to vac-seal it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pseudanonymous posted:

You boil the egg first? Like hard boiled or?

Any way when I make ramen I crack an egg into the water once it reboils after adding the noodles and the egg coats the noodles in a really nice way.

Yeah. 6 minutes is basically a medium boiled egg. White is set but the yolk is still runny. It's really good in ramen.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

blight rhino posted:

ive been considering both. i'd need to rearrange my kitchen, but i feel like i'm missing out.

is the online shop worth any of the deals, or is it all in person?

If you have the ability to haul by yourself, appliances should be done in-person, because the price with "free shipping" is often ~$80 higher than in-store.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FogHelmut posted:

Ah yes, when I moved to California from the Philly region, I found out very quickly that General Tso's Chicken was exclusively a Northeast invention.

What? West Coast doesn't do General Tso?

My mind is blown.

Do any kind of group order here and real chance it's 50% general tso's. That's not even to do with my friend circle because I've seen it happen in all different groups.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Pan chat: I’m still quite happy with my kirkland stainless steel set (the ones with the copper ring at the base). I do have an allclad d3 12” skillet as well and it is noticeably lighter than the kirkland skillet but it is 3 ply vs the 5 ply. I would have liked a slightly larger sauce pan , the gap between it and the stock pot would be the size I would usually use for making smaller batches of pasta. The small sauce pan is great for heating up single serving soups etc.

Overall no issues with whatever I cook and the steel surfaces are holding up just fine with no problems getting them clean with just regular dish soap and a sponge pad.

The all clad 5 ply set was about 3x as much at costco and I’m sure they are higher quality and will possibly last longer but I don’t regret going for the cheaper option.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The only real difference between D3/3-play and D5/5-ply is that the D5 has slightly more even heating when not pre-heated. It's 95% just something All-Clad invented to have a unique gimmick after the D3 patent expired.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 31, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Where the hell in California did you move? I remember eating it in LA in the early 90s, and I'm sure it was around much earlier than that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I took the post to be sarcastic

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I moved from Philadelphia to the PNW in the 90s and we struggled to find decent Chinese food.

I understand Chinese food is neither Chinese nor food, but something gets lost in translation as you cross the Rockies (not sure which direction is the source of truth). Some dishes are different, some don’t exist, and others are new. Sure, egg foo yung is totally different out here, but I found (subjectively) way better things to replace it with.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

david_a posted:

I took the post to be sarcastic

Yeah, I guess it was. As a typical goon I'm not great at figuring that out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Ever since I discovered halal food carts don't exist anywhere else other than NYC I no longer any food's existence for granted.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Renegret posted:

Ever since I discovered halal food carts don't exist anywhere else other than NYC I no longer any food's existence for granted.

They at least have some brick and mortar locations in the suburbs - rt. 22 is a bit less of a schlep than midtown right now.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

There are halal carts in Philly

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

But Philly is ~40 miles and ~100 Costcos in the other direction.

go birds

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Renegret posted:

My mind is blown.

Do any kind of group order here and real chance it's 50% general tso's. That's not even to do with my friend circle because I've seen it happen in all different groups.

General Tso's chicken is totally a thing on the west coast. I've found it in San Francisco, Portland, and it's on the menu at every teriyaki joint around Seattle.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Renegret posted:

My mind is blown.

It's super common in the PNW. Even the legit restaurants in the international district have it because its something easy for confused people to order.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Renegret posted:

My mind is blown.

It’s absolutely just as much on the west coast as any other area.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

fischtick posted:

I moved from Philadelphia to the PNW in the 90s and we struggled to find decent Chinese food.

I understand Chinese food is neither Chinese nor food, but something gets lost in translation as you cross the Rockies (not sure which direction is the source of truth).

Renegret posted:

the level of :goonsay: in this thread rn is incredible

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I can not believe I can't find my north eastern American favorite, General Tso, in California

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

fischtick posted:

I understand Chinese food is neither Chinese nor food
really struggling with this part specifically

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If it’s not food what is it?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MarcusSA posted:

If it’s not food what is it?

It’s hot. And it’s ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That’s little Caesar’s