Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Xtra Innings Lovin posted:

51% if the time I usually get a big cart full of stuff see the line have second thoughts and say to myself "eh, I'll just get a tv off Amazon and get my groceries at wal mart" and walk out.

They do have a good chicken and rice thing I like and a lobster casserole of some sort I like to get as well.

Lines go pretty fast but rest of the store can be a nightmare to navigate. But yeah ours is insanely loving busy nearly all the time, so I don't go as often as I'd like. Trick is to get there like before doors close at like 8pm on Wednesday or something or right when they open on a weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Agreed. I work ten minutes from a Costco, get out of work at 8 PM, get there by 8:10, and I have the whole store to myself for a blissful 20 minutes before they close at 8:30.

Either that, or be the first person in when they open on weekends. If I can't go then, I don't go. The lines and crowds are too terrible any other times.
Yep, and they don't even kick you out at 830 just closing the doors so you have more time than that.

Went today because I needed to replace a car battery. Going 15 minutes before they opened didn't help much today sadly

Had to wait in the tire center for like 20 minutes to buy a new car battery, and then they couldn't fully refund my old one so I had to go wait into Merchandise Return which had another 30 minute line, and then the store was packed by the time I was done. At least checkout was almost empty so I got out fast.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

There's weird regional variations in the cosrco food courts. Dor 8nstance the ones in jersey sell burgers amd fries for some reason.

Meanwhile other places sell gelato

Ive seen italian sausage and also brata sold alongside the hot dogs in various regions. Not both at the same place though
that sounds pretty nice. ours is just the boring standard(?) menu. Probably depends on if there's some local factory that can supply them close by?

Never had the caesar salad or turkey wrap; the chicken bake kind of sucks in the past several years, but hot dog/pizza is still solid (but mostly bang for the buck, its not otherwise good)

I remember costco selling giant pretzels in the early 90s but maybe that was price club or something. I miss those.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lhet posted:

Costco is cool but their fresh produce sucks. Any sort of bag/box of fresh fruit you need to eat in a day or two (good luck) before half of them go bad. Even their onions, which should normally last super long, start going bad after a week and you have to start throwing away half of each one because the outer layers are beginning to go bad.
Their frozen veggies are great though.

Yeah I don't really buy produce there too often. Exception are things like giant bag of garlic which usually lasts over a month in my cupboard, potatoes if I'm cooking a bunch within 2 weeks, and giant bag of spinach/romaine lettuce <1 week. Even if I have to throw away half of it (and I usually do since it's just feeding 2 people), its still a lot cheaper than buying at grocery store or even produce markets.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Tiny Lowtax posted:

A slice of pizza from their deli has 760 calories Jesus Christ

That's.. somehow impressive. Costco is p deceptive with nutrition information since a lot of their stuff doesn't . I used to love their poppyseed/blueberry muffins but they're also over 700 calories and it's really easy to end up eating 2 which is basically 70% of your calories. Croissants are really good and not too bad at ~350 with a cup of coffee in the morning.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ElGroucho posted:

I bought a sweater from Costco for like $20 bucks and threw it in the washer, not realizing it was that good-rear end spun wool type sweater, because where the gently caress do you get a high quality wool sweater for $20 bucks?

So now I have a tiny sweater and I ain't even mad
You can also just return it for your $20 back even 10 years later :eng101:

(though the merchandise return always has a loving long rear end line with 20+ minute wait but oh well)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

my nearest costco is like half an hour away

is it still worth it if i probably wont go there super often
are you single? if so, probably not. Gas is cheaper but probably a wash with a 30 minute drive at best.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yo the giant bags of Beer Chips are loving legit. Delicious.

Also the giant can of honey roasted mixed nuts that's on sale for $10 right now is amazing. Not even lovely peanuts, its full of macadamia, walnuts, and the good kinds.
That might be a regional thing, we don't have either of those here in the California costco's I go to. Sounds good though, they have plain plastic square jugs of mixed nuts for like $13 that are good as hell but not honey roasted.

It sucks finding an awesome new product at Costco and then they stop carrying it a month later. There was some really good spicy haberno cheese they had for a little bit that I was addicted to but no more.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
that would be fine, but often they never come back :sigh:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ChinaBob posted:

Can confirm. Doesn't matter who you are or where you live, Asians loving love Costco.

Yeah I'd say mine is a Hispanic and Asian majority with a fair amount of Indians and African Americans, and white people being the minority. It's probably more a reflection of local demographics, as is any location, but it's definitely not some exclusive upper middle class white enclave

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

grellgraxer posted:

I will say, as a pesto nerd, that the jumbo bottle of pesto they sell at Costco is awesome. Great price, great quality.

They've changed their pesto several times over the past 15+ years, it used to be amazingly good with lot of pine nuts and basil, now it's more on the cheesy side and more cheap filler stuff so it's not as good. Still decent buy though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ElGroucho posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you

Isn't it obvious? he has the brain eating mindcontrol cat parasite

:toxogond:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
^^ Those things loving suck. I don't think the pub mix has those bagel/rye chip things which are the best sadly.

rezatahs posted:

gonna try to beat that. let you know in 7 more.
I've beaten that, but then again I also use them for work for wrapping rock coring samples so that's kind of cheating.

They definitely own. I also own like the giant twin box rolls of parchment paper that lasts awhile too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

My Costco was so crowded today it was literally impossible to move. You just had to flow with the crowd. I can't believe the fire Marshall hadn't shut the place down.

Also I got three gigantic pies for $18.
Just a normal weekend-day at Costco tbh.

Though day before thanksgiving is a special Madmax Thunderdome hell at every single grocery store, especially the ones around here are awful

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Also I got my father-in-law this thing a few weeks ago from Costco:

http://christmasbeer.net/2016-costco-beer-advent-calendar/

24 different beers for every day in December until Christmas. Anyway long story short but I went back yesterday and was going to buy myself one but they were completely gone! There had to be 30 of them there when I got the one a few weeks ago.
Did you get this? I got it a few days ago and they had a bunch in. I didn't know what I was expecting when I saw it but that thing is loving huge. Unfortunately I can't just stuff it in the fridge so it's kind of disapointing to open a door and having a warm can of beer :(

Opened the first one, a pretty drat decent light marzen. Waiting for today's to chill right now.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 3, 2016

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yeah going to do that now.

i should add poo poo was like $60 so these beers better be worth like $2.50 each

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It's not even like winter themed beers or anything. Just random beers. Doesn't seem worth it IMHO
Most winter beers are honestly loving horrible, so i'm ok with that. So far they've been pretty good and a lot of really random stuff i've have never found/bought on my own

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

JnnyThndrs posted:

One day you'll realize it's because they just wrap Charmin really loosely on the spool so it 'feels soft', which means you get less paper and the rolls don't last near as long.
Yeah don't buy the charmin. You get much much more bang for the buck with the Costco tp and it's like wiping your fat goony hemmeroided rear end with silk too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

High profit means it's probably bad for the actual customer
idk. I find it an excellent experience and pretty loving cheap compared to Safeway/Vons/Albertsons and poo poo like that. Their produce is bad, meat is mediocre (though cured meats are good), some of their hippy-dippy snacks are a bit overpriced but most of the basic goods, milk/eggs/cheeses/yogurt, pastas/sauces, spices and poo poo are pretty cheap. It's nice they actually will have like 12 full-time cashiers open at all times, unlike Safeway which has 1 cashier and a bunch of self-checkouts of which half are always broken and still has a long line for them. Plus they follow the Costco-model of actually paying their staff decent wages and good benefits and breaks, so in return their staff is actually nice, and helpful instead of disgruntled underpaid lovely safeway workers.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Do your research on the vitamix. A good blender is worth its weight in gold, meanwhile a mediocre or bad one just ends up in your attic or back of your cupboard until your next garage sale 2 years from now, along with that lovely food processor, and you list it for $20 and just end up throwing it out unsold.

A lot of blenders make lovely models for other stores and poo poo too, vitamix has some really good ones (which are like 600$?) but also I think some lovely models too and it's not wortb shaving off some price for a wors model

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

That70sHeidi posted:

Don't know how much it cost but my brother brought home lobster bisque and it was the best thing in my life. Triple thumbs up.

Many years ago Sam's Club had awesome huge bran muffins. What are Costco's muffins like? I miss bran muffins.

Costco muffins are loving delicious, but they're also like 700 calories a pop. Poppy Seed, Blueberry, whatever are all good but those are my favorite. I don't get them more than once a year though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

bucksmash posted:

I got a giant bottle of tequila, thin crust pepperoni, 8 LED light bulbs, steak, asparagus, and a jug of Simple Green that should last about 3 years.

The lady behind me had... one canister of coffee. And she was complaining about the lines. Just loving go to Safeway at that point.
Ehhh, I've gone for a few items but mostly there just being one thing i really needed (like replacement showerhead and might as well pickup a can of nuts or something on my way out). it's nice when people just let you infront and I do the same if i see people just holding an item or two :3:. Safeway's lines is almost just as bad as Costco b/c my store refuses to higher more than 1 cashier and fix the 6/8 self-checkouts that are constantly broken.

1 can of coffee is lol though.

Their renovating the Costco Gas here so it's a major mess. and i showed up at like 9:15 before the doors were open and the gas thing was a clusterfuck with line extending out into the street and around the corner. whatever, company will pay for gas so I'll just go to a more expensive station later. I'm glad i showed up just before the doors opened tho because by the time i left at 10 the whole parking lot from corner to corner was packed and ton of cars waiting in isles.

bought my dog a dogbed that he's not using, corned beef for st pattys day, a shitton of cheeses, giant bag of blueberrys/sweet potatos/garlic/onions, muffins/croissants and some other stuff. I forgot to grab a new pair of work gloves so i'll probably just go to Lowes later. always forget something :|

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

i really want to buy a dyson handheld things. are they waorth it?
what, the v6 handheld? wirecutter generally liked it but not the best bang for the buck. but if you have the $$ go for it.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-handheld-vacuum/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FogHelmut posted:

I went to Costco last night, might go again tomorrow.

I switched from Irvine to Laguna Niguel. Very positive move. This one is not nearly as crowded, and never a line for gas.

Lucky, they're remodelling or doing some construction work at the gas station for my costco , which was already gigantically busy as poo poo store and has to be a top 10 for busy-ness already, and now the gas line is loving retarded and loops all the way around the street almost to the other entrance. i've basically just paying an extra quarter/gal at a local corner gas station than wait easily 30+ minutes to save maybe $2

I wish they would build a second one nearby, there's plenty of demand to keep 2 super busy all the time. I don't go as much as I used to because even showing at up 9:20am on a saturday it's already packed as gently caress before the doors even open now a days.

also i bought some jerky from costco called chefs cut or something, it's garbage. it's like gummy-consistency and has poo poo sweet flavoring. how do you gently caress up jerky??

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 5, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah, this might get me banned from the thread, but certain items aren't cheaper at Costco. I got a chest freezer on sale at Best Buy for about $100 less than Costco.
You still have to consider quality though. Costco may not be the cheapest poo poo tier model ever like Walmart/BB, but their models/things are often higher end so you really get much better bang for the buck. also the god drat best return policy. Best Yuy return policy was pretty lovely

there are still legit times when the exact same sku/model is cheaper elsewhere for sure

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fellis posted:

Trip report:

thats p cool. i love lamb at restraunts/gyros/whatever, but honestly i have no idea how the gently caress i would even prepare or cook that much lamb, let alone it wouldnt even fit in a normal fridge. my only attempts are cooking small lamb shanks was kind of a disaster

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Huge_Midget posted:

Got all hot and bothered by all the Costco talk, had to get their wiener inside me immediately.

All that food and infinite soda for $3.76 after tax!!! Wealth beyond measure, outlander. Wealth beyond measure.

ketchup...

guillotine

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I got the Kirkland vodka for the first time, there were two tiers and I went for the more expensive one and some very normal looking old grandma lady in the line was telling me how the less expensive one was actually really good.

iirc I think Kirkland Vodka is rebranded Grey goose? i've never tried them side-by-side but that's been the rumors for awhile now. I'm not sure what you're referring to more expensive and less expensive, I thought they only had 1 but I might have missed it.

e: I guess jury is out but most people say Costco vodka is even slightly better but pretty loving similar overall so w/e. Costco owns

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 25, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dely Apple posted:

The Costco ladies had this delicious Korean BBQ jerky for sale so I bought some and ate most of it and feel only shame, and the hunger for more

I am truly a goon this day

That looks good, I loving love jerky but my Costco doesn't sell that. They sell the pacific gold which is OK I guess but don't care for it. They also sell the costco streak strip thick cut one which I should try, idk why I haven't yet, I'll do that next time.

I bought this a few trips back and it's loving garbage. it's shredded into like little tiny pieces, it tastes like mush (jerky should have a good stiff tear-factor, not baby food consistency) and really sugary. avoid that garbage.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

shut up netface posted:

I'm going to come out and say it.

Have you ever seen a Vitamix demonstration in Costco? yknow that 500 dollar blender ? I'm afraid to admit it.

I did that poo poo... for 3 and a half years

So yeah, if you've imagined it at Costco? I've seen it.

Old man slip and crack his head open? Yep

The Costco in Lancaster PA with buggy parking? Yep

People getting in a screaming argument over ham? Yep.

The day before Thanksgiving? YEP.

12 hours a day, 7 days straight.

non stop serving out samples.

100% Commission.

drat dude. so did you make no money if no one bought anything?

also was the blender actually good? i need a new one but proably looking to spend <$150 if possible.

also i feel really bad for anyone who has to work food the day before thanksgiving. poo poo is like a thunderdome of crazy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just wanted to say that Ikea food is worlds better than Costco food.
i'm actually going to agree with this even though i love costco. ikea has a lot more tasty variety and loving cheap + free unlimited coffee. the meatballs are so good as are swedish pancakes

Costco's froyo/smoothies/churros are pretty good but I don't care for their pizza/chicken bake/etc, but dem $1.50 dogs though....

also am i just misremembering, but i recall price club/costco having giant fuckoff pretzels at the food court in the early/mid 90s. those were good, when did they get rid of that? or maybe i'm just thinking of sams since we went to all 3 a lot.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Treating your customers and employees with respect creates loyalty

Sinegal is loving god and has been keeping the raving rabid shareholders at bay and standing his ground on paying employees well even after they keep pushing to cut employee costs because ???. costco drives your typical shithead mba conservatives absolutely insane because it shows if you pay employees well it actually translates into more sales. who'd have thought??

unfortunately no one else has seemed to catch on besides Trader Joes

gunna suck when he dies

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

uli2000 posted:

It was better in the Good Ole Days when the black card and the business card got you in 3 hours early and free danish and coffee as well. Nothing like strolling in past the low level gold stars for a free coffee and danish. Too bad they dont do this anymore. I have to slum it with the goldies.

I remember thatm though wasn't it just an hour early? iirc something like get in early at 9 and normal open was 10? That would be nice if they still had that but most everyone seems to be exec already anyways. If you show up here at 10am/(9:30 on sat) or even 15 minutes before there's already a huge rear end line to get in. But yeah I miss the free coffee and pastries as well.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

It's kind of busy

that's not that bad, ours is basically every aisle basket-to-basket overflowing. gotta go like 45min before door closes M-Th or right when they first open (and there will be 40+ people in line already). i was gunna go today but slept in a little to olong so i missed being able to show up 15 minutes before the doors open and didn't feel like playing the thunderdome game today. maybe tomorrow morning

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
line to get in at 10am, but not terrible.

there was already a sizeble line to get out at 10:30

it definitely was like at thunderdome getting out of the parking lot with every inch filled with cars trying to park and poo poo, p crazy but at least the store was good when i got there.

"only" spent about $350 out the door somehow, poo poo adds up i guess.

unfortunately i did not get the BUCK FIFTY 1/3 LB ALL BEEF DOG since there was already a huge line at the court and we had some cold stuff, and i just ate a giant breakfast before going there. oh well next time. next goon can eat a second dog to make up for it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

How is it that the costco in your rich rear end Danville/san ramon area doesnt have a gas station. loving travesty.

lmao that was the san ramon costco? ahahha

its actually a pretty nice costco but ya gently caress the tri valley area

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lol if your costco opened up after 1987 like some kind of noob costco

11/11/1986

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i bought the Kirkland Steak Cut jerky on Sunday for the first tim, and now it's all gone. nothing sadder than an empty bag of jerky.

it was real good though. much better than that 'chefs cut' poo poo i bought from costco a month ago which was just gummy sweet garbage

also god drat jerky teeth. i think even after vigorously flossing im still feeling jerky bits between my teeth

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Teikanmi posted:

Considering taking a train like an hour out of downtown just to hit up a CostCo to buy myself a birthday cake, muffins... and you KNOW I'm snaggin' a dog with mustard/onion/relish.
i'm all in favor of riding transit here and death to cars, but costco makes owning a car worth it because lol, are you really going to carry poo poo back on the train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Stexils posted:

i don't like most of the food costco serves but they do do a good strawberry smoothie.

also churro

e: tho this might be a california costco thing, idk

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 16, 2017