Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

How do you not notice a 400+ page thread about Costco
:thunk:

Even posts are in bulk at the Costco thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Renegret posted:

I did the same thing!

I now use the glass creme brulee ramekins to... make my own creme brluee.

I wouldn't recommend actually buying them if you don't have a torch though. Originally I didn't own a torch and it's just not as good if you try to do it in the broiler.

Note that you don’t need the fancy food torch. I’ve got a hand held propane torch I use for household poo poo (the kind you solder planning with) and it works just fine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

When I finish everything at a restaurant I put everything away and stack up my plates/silverware so it's easy for them to pick it up.

When I was a server I absolutely hated it when people did this. 9 times out of 10 the person just created an unstable stack that made it more difficult for me to carry the dishes away. There's more to stacking dishes to get them back to the kitchen area than just putting them on top of each other.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’m posting this from between two of them. Kinda want to sew them together to make the fuzziest sleeping bag. Got them both for :10bux: a year apart. Such great blankets for the money.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

poo poo my indoor Costco food court dgaf if you’re a member. Just swipe a credit card and you’re good.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Savings.

It could be 40% latex paint by volume and for what I’m paying it would taste loving delicious.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Costco's thickass divine pork chops have legit ruined any other type for me.

loving woooooord.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

arisu posted:

I frequently went to the 'Co for the food court without a membership when I was younger and poorer. It was in a convenient location, and they had an outdoor food court so I didn't even have to go in. The value can't be beat!

Yeah it was a frequent stop in college, after I was off my parents membership but didn’t have my own. There was one close enough to be a viable stop on the way too and from poo poo and a $10 huge pizza was food for a few days or the $1.50 hotdog for a quick meal.

I mean it took longer than doing whatever else but I was broke and my time was worth gently caress all so I didn’t care.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I wonder why they would do this. Less people buying pizza and dawgs = less monies right? Plus my local Costco has an outdoor foodcourt so idk how that works.

Because it's losing them money. Pennywise was right with this:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It makes sense. It's a loss leader so they only lose money on people without memberships.

Check out this post from earlier:

Chinatown posted:

Visited a Costco Business Center today for the first time. Its wild. Actually a great place if you want cooking equipment, pans, etc.

Also. UNGHF. BEEF

Look at the price on those dogs (they're basically the same ones they sell to us for $1.50) and do the math. 120 links for $1.05 is about $.80 per dog. Now, that's what they're selling them to businesses for in bulk, so they're making money on that. Cut some off that price. Then add in buns and most importantly employee labor and whatever pennies the pop costs and boom, they're losing money on selling them. MAYBE breaking even. Which they're fine with for the same reason they'll keep losing money selling us $5 roasters - it's one of the things that gets us in the door to buy the poo poo they make money on.

But they're not a food bank and if they're losing money on non-customers i can see why the are getting rid of it.

It sucks for the people who just want affordable food and can't afford a membership, but it's understandable.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly the fact that the food court exists is kinda proof that Costco leadership isn't like normal companies. Most corporations would have seen that as an unnecessary expense and either raised prices to make a profit or just cut it out entirely.

Like. . . . have any of you been to a Sams Club?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pick posted:

It requires a big picture view, which no, most people do not seem to have

Unlike a fair number of people in this thread, I often go to Costco and do not purchase anything in the store. I'll only buy something if they have what I want. However, I will usually get a nonfat yogurt on my way out, which makes me feel like it wasn't a complete waste of my time. Without that, I'm just going there and leaving without buying anything and then I just feel kind of pissed off

We make a point of just going there when we need to do a stock up of poo poo. We never have firm things that we have to get, just as the first stop in the general grocery run. Like, we're low on meat so let's see what Costco has going. Is it going to be pork this week? Or steak? Or a fuckload of stew meat? Who knows, let's see what's there and cheap. Then we fill out the random lazy meals and the random poo poo that we just need to have (see: my crippling sparkling water addiction) and get out.

I don't think I've ever gone to costco just to browse.

Maybe once in a blue moon I'll see a specific thing in the email and go there for that. LIke. .. . I dunno, a jacket or a cheap sherpa or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Noslo posted:

Pretty sure they're trained to say that to everyone, I got pitched with "our system flagged you, you should upgrade to executive blah blah" a few weeks ago

I told him I ran the numbers already and would need to spend 3k annually to break even, which I don't do, so no thanks

I'm sure I'd hit 3k if I bought gas there too, but I don't because I'm not going to drive 30 miles there and back to save $0.10 per gallon

The upside is that if you sign up and don't break even they'll refund you and let you cancel it.

We just did that with our executive membership. We did the math and we spent something like 70% of what we'd need to break even on it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Good Dog posted:

Why are so many idiots stocking up on toilet paper and bottled water as if they're preparing for an earthquake or tornado and why do they only shop at Costco?

Every other grocery store I've been to has tp and water just fine.

It's not just costco. I stopped into my local neighborhood grocery a few days ago for a random single ingredient I didn't have for dinner and they were nearly out of TP. The whole loving isle was just ragged.

Of course I then called my wife to find out our own TP levels (down to two rolls) and became part of the problem when I bought two packs instead of one after I finally found an end cap with two lonely packages that the mob had apparently missed. Did I need two? Not really. One would last us a couple weeks easily. But I also didn't want to be wiping my rear end with paper towels if people don't calm the gently caress down a bit before then.

Note: regular 'ol grocery store packs, not costco packs. I can't imagine using two of those in just a couple of weeks. It's nu-SARS, not dysentery.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

The urban star jeans

This sounds like a fake brand name for a cosmetic you'd find in a game.

Like, I wouldn't even blink if I opened a crate in The Division or PUBG and saw "urban star brand jeans"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Renegret posted:

my parents used to buy them when I was a kid and my brother and I ate the poo poo out of them. But only ever cooked them in the oven. Also they were always ice cold in the middle despite following the directors.

I wonder how they've changed in the past 20 years.

Iv'e never had those, but if the thing you're cooking is coming out cold in the middle from the oven lower the temp but raise the amount of time. If you need to you can jack the temp for a few minutes at the very end to toast the outside.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Never thought I’d see the day where a goon can’t cook a glorified hot pocket but here we are.

Please, mommy brings them down to my basement already cooked. How am I supposed to know how the oven works?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

i bought a full out japanese toilet from the most cyperpunk districts of Nagasaki, my butthole has never been fresher

If you don’t say “domo arigato mr roboto” after taking a poo poo I don’t even know what to think.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SirPablo posted:

Can't wait for all the TP sales in three months when supply has completely swamped over demand.

Nah. They’ll just warehouse it and cut back production a bit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’m here right now. They’re only selling hot dogs and plain pizza. Pizza only by the whole pie, no slices.

Most condiments for the dogs missing. Just ketchup and mustard.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah I asked. All condiments are behind the counter and they were out of everything but ketchup and mustard

The guy put them on the dog before wrapping it and handing it to your.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In other news it was a five min wait outside the store and the inside was loving glorious. Easy to navigate, no traffic jams of retirees around the samples, easiest trip I’ve ever had. No TP or hand sanitizer but everything else was fine. Zero lines for registers. On a Sunday morning no less!

Seriously they should go with this model (limiting number of people in the store at any one time) permanently. They can double the price of my membership if they do that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well we also have no bread to eat it with. Out of flour too.

I'm planning on going to church on Monday.

Man I came really loving close to buying a 25 pound sack of flour at costco.

I don't need 25 pounds of flour. We usually throw back maybe a single 1 pound bag every two weeks, maybe every week if I'm making bread (most of it is used for making pasta). It would take me way too loving long to use 25 pounds of flour and I don't even know how I'd store it without getting it everywhere. It's not like those bags are re-sealable. Probably break it out into "storage" and "use" containers like I do my costco bags of rice but still.

Problem is that's the only loving flour I've been able to find in weeks. I got lucky and found a single bag of brand name hidden behind some other poo poo on a shelf in the grocery store (probably scored some poor worker's stash), but since it was brand name it cost $3 for the pound instead of $1.25 or so for the generic we usually get.

. . . and 25 pounds of costco flour was like $6

gently caress me running I'm going to end up with a 25 pound sack of flour before this is over, aren't I?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

TP has been out everywhere here too (SoCal). Mrs Mango went to our local ‘Co half an hour before opening, got in a long but well organized line, and was able to get TP. I had gone every other afternoon for a week and struck out every time. A few times saw the afternoon pallet roll out and watched it disappear in seconds. Checker finally took pity and told me about the morning line system.

I read about this and we gave it a try on the weekend (weekdays aren't an option). No go, poo poo was sold out before we got in the door.

We're getting low-ish. Once we get down to the last 3 rolls I'm handing them over to my wife and then it's washcloths and showers for me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

This is some good poo poo.

We love it. It’s great for making lazy fondue with.

Unwrap the cheese, put it back in the box thing it come in and put that in an oven safe container in case it leaks. Put it in an oven at 325 for like twenty minutes or so. Cut the top of the cheese open and put it back in for another ten or fifteen. You want it to be melted but not bubbling if you can help if. Cut up a baguette or any other stiff bread or apples and dip.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

2ish weeks is what I expect a couple would take to go through most of their food if they're literally at home all day every day.

At some point your meat or veggies will start to turn And even with beans, rice, canned food and ramen you'll need some variety. Much less any of the "poo poo I only had a 1/4 bottle oil and now..." kind of things.

Freeze your meat. There's really no excuse for it to go bad. We've just got a lovely above-fridge freezer and we still manage to cram a gently caress load of meat in there. If poo poo got bad we've got at least 3 week's worth of food just from frozen meat for the two of us, and a bit more if it got REALLY bad and we started cutting down the size of our meals.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

These are very wasteful guidelines with worst case scenario in mind. Two weeks is very possible for a lot of things, just pay attention to any off colors or odors.

Food can be bad way before it shows discoloration or smells bad. I’m the first dude to say gently caress it and eat cold pizza left on the kitchen counter over night but I’m also not going to pretend that a smell test is enough to go by.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

shovelbum posted:

The problem with a chest freezer is almost any part of the country has seasonal blackouts from something so you need a generator to protect your thousands of dollars of meat

This is only going to be a problem if it's an extended blackout, which is pretty uncommon anywhere that isn't prone to hurricanes. Those chest freezers can take days to defrost, if you leave it closed it will be fine for the sort of interruptions to power that most people experience.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Not costco related but grocery store adjacent and I have to vent.

I want to slap someone at my local grocery store. I was there a few days ago and the TP was totally out. OK, fine, whatever, I found a few at the Aldi just down the street. No worries.

But I noticed a suspicious number of people walking around with packages of napkins. Well, people are idiots. It's not good for the sewers to wipe and flush with those but, again, idiots.

Then I got to the TP aisle and noticed that right in front of the empty TP shelves they'd put four loving pallets of napkins. It's not like there was a sign or anything telling people to wipe with those, but I've never seen so many napkins out at once and I've certainly never seen them parked right in front of the TP shelves.

loving city sewer should send them the bill for the inevitable repairs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

.Z. posted:

What's the reason for covering the exhale valve? It seems like overkill.

Those masks don't filter anything going out. They might help keep you from getting sick (might, again the data on all this is not great one way or the other) but will do nothing to keep other people from getting sick if you're a carrier. Putting a cloth over the exhale valve can at least mitigate that, mostly by knocking down any larger droplets that start coming out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Is isopropyl still hard to get? I always have a bunch of it already to clean interiors of old cars that probably never HAVE been clean so I made my own sanitizer as needed with the stuff I already had.

Yeah. Didn't check costco, but the last time I had to go to the local grocery the whole section was picked over.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Good soup! posted:

I rarely get instant noodles type stuff but the Snapdragon Vietnamese Pho bowls are good

They are 100% a pro buy. I've been using them as lunch on the go for a while.

As a bonus they're surprisingly low cal. Your typical ramen has 400 calories, these have something like 220 iirc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Even inside amazon it's hugely variable. I ordered a bunch of switches and cables to cobble together an almost-dock for my work laptop so I could use my normal keyboard, mouse, and monitor without constantly unplugging poo poo from my PC. A few things arrived next day, a bunch arrived in like 3 days, and one cable took a week and a half.

All of the delivery times were supposed to be ~3 days due to covid and delays and poo poo.

edit: about half of it was actual amazon orders and half was fulfilled by some random company using their platform. The one that took forever was a bog standard amazon basics hdmi cable.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

i am harry posted:

beaver nut juice

:grin:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I believe something happened recently reducing the vanilla supply as well, but can't remember the details and I am very lazy.

E: I mean pre-pandemic something.

A huge chunk of the vanilla crop is grown in Madagascar and a few years back a bad Indian Ocean cyclone hosed up the island pretty good. Iirc it was a mix of fields being destroyed and the growers not being able to deal with the harvest while their houses were under water.

The whole process is crazy. Vanilla is an orchid so it’s finnicky as gently caress and basically looks for any opportunity to die for any reason. Pollination is by hand. Harvesting is by hand. It has to go through a crazy complicated drying and curing process.

Basically it’s insane that this flavor that shouldn’t exist at all became our byword for basic and boring. It would be like if “Porsche” somehow became slang for a dull, reliable, affordable family car.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

poisonpill posted:

Stock up, friends. We're going to see a meat shortage before May is over.

We’re already there. My local grocery store is pretty picked over.

That said I suspect it’s partially also people like this person. This wasn’t the only cart like this I saw:

Processing plants closing is going to stress the system but there are also people who I really hope have big chest freezers or we’re going to see an insane amount of waste.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I think it’s regional. All my local groceries are picked over as far as meat and flour go. Haven’t been to Costco in a bit but the other places are hosed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I do feel sorry for people who can’t handle masks. My wife’s one of them. She can hack it for ten minutes if she has to buy beyond that she gets super anxious and feels like she’s being smothered.

I mean gently caress people who go out without them though. This just means that for any longer poo poo (grocery runs and the like) I’m flying solo and she helps me unload poo poo when I get home.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you’ve got flour but no yeast sounds like a good time to figure out a sour dough starter. That’s what I’ve been working with the last few weeks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

My father in law has taken up baking during this pandemic. I don't know why now. He's been retired for 10 years, its not like his life has really changed.

Low bar for entry , seems easy enough to want to try, easy to get something edible, takes lots of work to get to where you actually think you did a good job with it. It’s a good option for when you’re locked in one place.

Add in a little self sufficiency fantasy during a period in time where you are discouraged from getting poo poo outside and it doesn’t surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

It's a bit of a bummer for people who regularly use flour though, I usually use flour on weekends for breakfast stuff (biscuits/pancakes/waffles/etc) but I haven't been able to get any for over a month now so I'm just going through my dwindling supply of cornmeal and that's about it.

I imagine the majority of those bags of flour going to people who would generally eat out every meal but decided to horde them now because the tv told them everyone else was doing it will get opened, used once or twice before they decide it's too much effort, and then sit in the back of their cupboard for the next couple years.

There’s a membership based warehouse store you can find 25 pound bags at on the regular right now. I can’t remember the name for the life of me but I’m sure it’s googleable. I think they’re also known for a food court? Something about hot dogs?