Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BONGHITZ posted:

Take off the glasses, bingo bongo so simple.

This is how I lost my glasses last week. Then I found them in the street. But they had already been run over a few times. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

13Pandora13 posted:

Wash your glasses in shaving cream and let them air dry. There's also goggle/lens anti-fog stuff you can buy online (including one called cat crap). Spit doesn't work and is gross, please don't spit on things going near your eyeballs.

Look if we all just spit in our glasses we’ll develop herd immunity without spending more money. Some things are more important than seeing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Went yesterday. Meat was hosed. Only steak was the expensive stuff. Pork was more expensive too. They had signs up saying they were getting charged more by distributors and weren’t making any more profit so I guess someone freaked out at them about it.

We stocked up on pork chops (more expensive but not terrible) and sausage.

They had TP but barely. We were there early and it was gone before we left.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

large hands posted:

Love the Costco pork chops but they're so thick you either have to sous vide them or cut them in half or they get really dry by the time the centre is cooked.

Yeah I use the yellow Costco ones for cleaning cars, records, guns. They're awesome

You’re cooking them too hot. Turn your burner down to about medium then raise the temp at the end if you want more of a sear.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean as long as they’ve been through a freezer at some point the wife is really unlikely to get a worm or whatever

Trichinosis has been almost completely eliminated from the US hog population. Iirc between 2000 and 2010 there were something like ten cases. Look up the real statistics but the tldr was low single digits per year. The FDA went so far as to revise down the recommended cook temp for pork to an internal temp of 145.

Gotta say pork is WAY better when it’s not cooked into shoe leather.

Edit: CDC page on trichinosis https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/epi.html

FDA internal temp chart referencing the 145 for pork - https://www.fda.gov/media/93628/download

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I almost never eat pork, especially pork chops, because all of my memories of it are it being extremely dry and tough. I make tenderloins sometimes but the dryness is just so ingrained in my memory that I only eat pork if it's slathered in BBQ sauce or something.

You’re missing out. Go buy some cheap Costco chops and see what decent pork tastes like.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Is that the $100 one on Amazon?

I would also need a food saver, I swear I’ve seen one at the Costco store. Gonna check next time I’m there.

Costco is super hit or miss on appliances. I had my eyes open for a basic coffee grinder for a while after they got rid of theirs up front as part of the COVID but just ended up grabbing one off amazon.

That isn’t to say they’ve never had one but I assume it’s one of those things where they’ll have a bunch for two months ever two years.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Manuel Calavera posted:

You can also sous vizzle with freezer ziploc bags. Just gotta suck out as much air as you can.

My biggest hang up with sous vide is all the bags that get used. It just seems so wasteful to basically toss a bag with every meal you cook.

But I’ll fully admit to being the weird one on this. I’ve been doing a lot to try and eliminate as much single use plastic bag and wrap type poo poo in my life as I can. Not going to even pretend to be all the way there but it sure as gently caress makes you notice it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

:reject:He’s walking away cause he’s a pussy little bitch.

:reject:There he goes, he’s walking away with all my stuff.

:saddowns: Because I’m not a sheep.

:laffo: goddamn man.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

just got back from church. they had chicken breasts but no thighs which is what i usually get. also they were pushing drumsticks REALLY hard for some reason. still no clorox wipes :mad:

It’s been this way everywhere. FWIW most recipes that you can do with thighs work with drumsticks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

Sherpa blankets are the ones everyone raves about, yeah? They just became available in the Australian 'Co store, so I ordered one.

I am typing this sandwiched between two of them. Roman emperors didn’t have this kind of decadence cocooning them as they slept.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Look around on the intent. I’ll loving guarantee there’s some solar panel forum full of nerds who can tell you exactly what you want to buy for your use case, how much it should cost for whatever size you need, and who the good and bad companies are.

gently caress I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a thread for that in DIY or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ngl, I’ve got sticky fingers too.

Like right now because this thread made me want peanut butter.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dip pork rinds in bitcoin sauce.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gotta be honest I almost don’t want to bother with Costco dogs any more. I mean I still get one but eh, I’m probably just going to make a sandwich at home instead next time.

It really really isn’t the same without a pile of onions.

Edit: galaxy brain: buy a bag of Costco onions, cut them myself, sell to customers in the parking lot to put on their sad covid dogs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

therobit posted:

They'll give you onions if you ask dude.

But I get it. I really miss the Polish Sausage. Last time I was there they didn't have it in the refer case either. I'm really hoping that's just Covid shortages and not them dropping the polish dog.

Yeah I tried last time based on what someone in thread said. Nope. They said they don’t have any.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I haven't seen them have onions behind the counter but I asked for sauerkraut and they had that which is top tier.

Yep asked for that too and also got the nope. I would ask for kraut now and again in the before times.

As far as I can tell it’s relish ketchup and mustard.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

when all this is over we need a bigger better costco

chicken bakes with polish dogs in them

Put a chicken bake in a polish dog.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

We moved on to pork.

Haven’t had a steak in months now. Used to be a staple. Not an all the time thing but we always had a few Costco steaks in the freezer. Probably once every other week or so.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Coredump posted:

Cheese.... yuck.

Mods?!?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Which steaks are those?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dump your girlfriend. Bonus: more chowder for you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jingleheimer posted:

My Costco doesn't ask for memberships at the food court and I think it's ridiculous that some stores do. There shouldn't be any restrictions for people to give money to the least profitable department in a Costco warehouse.

My understanding is that they lose money on the food court.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

Madison Heights if you're in Metro Detroit. Owns owns owns!!!!!

I buy like three cases of Guinness every March and my girlfriend gives me weird looks every time. It's just a good time to stock up on cheap Guinness sheesh

Lol me and my wife had that exact same argument last year.

My costco stocks the Guinness in the winter so we're probably coming up on time for me to buy another cart full.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Bagel. Bagel. Bagel. Bagel. Bagel. Bagel.

fake edit: Where is that delightful tag from?

Hah. It's unique to me. I made a crack in the mod forum about the proliferation of tags and used ~*~radical bagel krew~*~ as an example of a random tag. Just some dumb bullshit I pulled out of my hat to make a point.

At which point Literally A Bird whipped this up and it was on my av the next time i logged in. I love it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Anyone got coffee bean recommendations for Costco? How's the grinders?

The grey Kirkland cougar coffee. It’s great.

From my pantry:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

And the in-store grinders are nice

Edit: I mean the one they have up front to let you grind your poo poo before you leave. Dunno about the ones they sell.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

therobit posted:

Grinding your coffee at the store is ruining it. Buy a whirlybird at least. They are like 10 bucks and grinding right before brewing is one of the biggest steps up in quality you can take. Buying from a local roaster is the next.

The Covid actually pushed me into that. The local costco took out their grinder for a bit (I dunno if it's back, a lot of their other stuff is though so maybe?) so I ended up grabbing a cheap little grinder off amazon.

I'm sure it's awful. I grew up around enough coffee snobs to understand that the grind is probably hosed up and that it's all kinds of sub optimal.

But yeah, still better than having it ground in the store. Good enough to put in my drip pot and enjoy in the morning.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GORDON posted:

I'm old.enough to remember the old "Choc Full o Nuts" jingle, and internalize that it must be serious gourmet poo poo. When I bought it as an adult, I spit-taked the swill.

So what you're saying is that the nut content made you spit instead of swallow?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

You guys do a great job of spotlighting the laborious chore that is coffee.

Just give in and become morning cola people. Throw away your dignity. Save lots of time.

Not nearly enough caffeine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

david_a posted:

The quality seems to be pretty variable from some of the experiences I’ve read here. I’ve never found it bad but I very rarely get it.

Since you can’t eat it in store currently I waited until I got home and crisped up the slice in a frying pan (both sides; get that cheese melted too). Can’t complain!

Yeah, from what I can tell it has to do with the ovens. I don't know if one location is running them hotter or longer or what, but some places you get a soggy mess and some places you get it properly cooked. There's a costco a few miles from me with garbage pizza and one half an hour away that has pretty solid pizza.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Moey posted:

If anyone was holding out for the Midea 7.0 chest freezer, they magically are back in stock online today.

https://www.costco.com/midea-7.0-cu.-ft.-chest-freezer.product.100534902.html

Product not found

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

IS THIS REAL I NEED TO KNOW

AV/post combo

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So is half price jamon in January really a thing or a goon joke.

Also if it’s real January is hereby renamed Jamonuary.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So I bought an HP laptop from Costco maybe 2 years ago and it just died. It turned off and won't turn back on. As far as I know I only had 90 days to return it. Is there anything I can do?

Doubt it 2 years is pretty far out. Not many companies offer hardware guarantees that long and those that do charge you for it.

quote:

Maybe not from Costco but just try to get one personalized that meets my needs. Rugged, can play media, light, smallish, inexpensive.

You might have to compromise here. Light/rugged/cheap alone is generally a “pick 2” situation

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Dunno, but nothing beats the metal box fans from the 60s-80s.

Nothing.

I love those things.

You can still find them too, although the housings are usually plastic now. Just go to walmart or any other big box store.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

priznat posted:

Big ol BEEF FLAPS

Thank god I'm not the only one.

Gonna say that User Name bird with a big dick should probably be more familiar with "choice flap meat"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

people who have not worked retail should get trained on barcode scanning before they use a self-checkout lane :can:

This is the whole reason I avoid any self checkout if there is a line. If I can walk up and hit it right away? Sure.

Otherwise hard pass. Maybe the line zips through because everyone knows what they're doing. On the other hand, I've sat there too many times waiting for some retiree to figure out how it all works.

I'd much, much rather just stand in line at a register where I can at least be confident that the person doing the scanning has at least a minimal clue what they're doing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hell Yeah posted:

home depot does have the bomb self checkout. i've never used the costco one i like to use the cashier so they have to hire more cashiers

The only thing I can think of with HOme Depot is that most of their really expensive poo poo is so huge that it would be impossible to hide in a cart full of crap. You're not going to be able to "forget" to scan a lawnmower or a poo poo load of 2x4s.

I've also noticed that any time I'm going through with a notably large amount of stuff the person supervising the checkout area just walks over and guns it for me.

My guess is that somewhere out there is a loss prevention study that told them the majority of poo poo people could manage to sneak out was cheap enough that it didn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

infraboy posted:

I like self checkout generally because there is always one person in every line that takes absolutely forever to pay as if it's their first time every buying something. Like I have my Costco card and credit card in hand ready to go once I see the total, stick that chip in the reader, get receipt and say thank you then i'm on my way out within seconds and debating if I should stop for the hotdog.

Wtf who debates getting the dog?

The pro move is to get the dog first and eat it before shopping so you’re not hungry while looking at impulse buy food items.