Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ackbar posted:

they sell poke on the weekends now. the ahi tuna wasabi one is good.

You should think about making your own poke, the prices they want for that poo poo is ridiculous.

One of the best deals they run on raw fish at Costco is the farm-raised salmon fillets. They are mostly sushi quality. You can make salmon poke from those fillets and save so much money. Poke is easy.

Even buying the raw tuna steaks is a better way. Anything but paying for soy sauce and green onions and poo poo at like $15 a pound or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I love poke, and for a few random, magical weekends every year, our Central Florida Costco gets it, and I always buy some. The kind with tobiko and spicy mayo is our favorite.

From what I understand, it's a west coast thing, so I felt pretty lucky that we got any at all. I've never made poke before, but I totally intend to try that now. Are those raw tuna steaks safe to eat raw? They look so nice, but I wasn't sure.

Yes the tuna steaks are fine raw, just run a little water over the steaks and pat dry before beginning. You'll have to learn how to cut them correctly for raw applications like sushi/poke. It's pretty easy, just watch a youtube.

Getting a nice fresh tuna steak and making sashimi is one of life's more amazing simple pleasures. And again, don't hesitate to get a nice salmon fillet if you can- farm raised is fine, and it's much cheaper than tuna.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You put saurkraut in the hot dog. Then you put deli mustard.

That's all you do

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The North Tower posted:

There is a new Costco opening up on June 29 at 6898 Raleigh Road, San Jose CA 95119. From what I hear I should go at 6pm to meet W. Craig "Big Dog Plus" Jelinek and thank him for keeping the dogs at 1.50?

The milpitas Costco is pretty rad, it has a bunch of delicious asian poo poo, just don't get gas there unless you want to wait 20 minutes

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You guys should get the prime rib eye cap. It's the best ever. http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/meet-the-ribeye-cap-the-tastiest-cut-on-the-cow.html

Also, the salmon and tuna are good quality and if you choose your packages wisely, they both provide sushi/sashimi-quality meat for a fraction of the normal price.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

When we want to make sushi or poké, I always get the fish from the local Japanese grocery store because they regularly fly out high quality fish that they stand behind

You don't even know how it's different and you just trust it blindly because it's from a Japanese grocery store? Sounds legit. After all, they "fly out the quality fish"!

I've been eating raw salmon and tuna from Costco in sushi, sashimi and poke preparations for roughly 10 years. I am somehow still alive and have never gotten food poisoning from fish.

Costco sells their own fresh poke that they make from the same fish they have in the aisle.

Just be a realistic person, make sure the fish was frozen, cut relatively thin (which you would do for sashimi and sushi anyways!) so you can theoretically see any parasites. Not that I've ever actually seen one.

Some straight up ignorance around here.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You could get a 3 lb bag of the broccoli florets and make a brocolli salad preparation that would last for a week or two. Broccoli salad is suprisingly delicious and it lasts a lot longer than a prepped salad.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/05/broccoli-salad-radicchio-basil-pistachio-recipe.html

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

naem posted:

I see you've heard of the meat trick

I love you

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I see the cleverly hidden ketchup in there, you loving rear end in a top hat.

BTW unrelated, but back in the day Costco would open an hour early and provide free Costco muffins and coffee for Business card people. It was the best.

Imagine how rad it was to eat free muffins while shopping for food with 20 other people in the entire store.

Unfortunately, a casualty of the past.

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 12, 2017

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Ketchup on dogs is good, because there is no combination of Costco condiments on a Costco dog which will make it bad.

Quit being dorks you dorks!

Honestly, I believe that there are certain life choices that each person must make, maybe you would call them "keystone" choices or something. They are choices that define a human being and the sum of their future potential and past learning.

What people choose to put on their hot dog is one of those choices. You can tell a shitload about someone via what they put on their dog.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

All this thread has taught me about Costco is that a bunch of judgemental pricks seem to shop there. May need to re-evaluate getting a membership come fall when we get one.

Maybe you should re-evaluate more than just your Costco membership, but rather all of your various life choices on account of being a baby bitch, good lord

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

hi i'm a goon and i super duper care about what other people put on their own food that they paid for with their own real money and that i will never eat because i'm a loving child and don't understand that different people like different things

Bwahahahaha

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

slave to my cravings posted:

95% of my clothes have now come from Costco and I don't feel bad about it

Let's do that thing where we make a tunnel and then you run through it and we all high five you as you run through.

As long as you don't put ketchup on your dog, that is. But I doubt you would do that, if your Costco-fu is this strong.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

Nice meltdown

Doubling down on being a baby bitch I see. Anything to avoid the honest introspection that you desperately need.

Keep it up

Proud of you.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dude I don't know what battle you think you're even fighting here in the super serious Costco thread.

I'm going to stop. Feel free to say whatever you want. This really is sad. Continue to feel that you "won" if it makes you feel better.

Sorry to poo poo up the thread guys :/

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

They're still a thing but depending on where the samples are located they might as well not be. So like if you wanna try out their new pita chips or healthier snack bars then sure you got options but if they're in the frozen section cookin up some fried and processed stuff you'd be too ashamed to get a full box of goodluck cause there will inevitably be fat families blocking the whole aisle while they camp out waiting for the next batch so they can immediately take the entire tray for themselves.

This is horrifyingly true, and it's arguably the shittiest difference between "old Costco that was for business people" and "new Costco for loving everyone".

Samples used to be a cordial affair unless there was something insanely good like crab cakes or something. Now you literally have whole families just sitting there waiting for the next round of samples right in the middle of the aisle with no shame whatsoever, making it impossible to move anywhere near the frozen section and the cold section.

This year I've just started moving people's carts out of the way who are waiting for samples, both because their disregard for basic human decency disgusts me and because you literally cannot get past them if you don't.

The good news is that these people are often living in such a haze of stupidity that they don't notice you're messing with their cart, or by the time their sluggish brains process what's happening you're long gone.

In any case I no longer take samples out of principle.

The only thing shittier than the sample-guzzling morons are the salespeople they've littered the floor with to sell you phones, cable service, house renovation, etc etc etc. I'm already spending $200 on groceries and paid for a membership, gently caress off.

Costco has really changed a ton. It reached its peak about 15 years ago. It's still the best store ever but most changes made in the last 10 years have been negative for the consumer experience.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dely Apple posted:

Holiday Costco when they have the Popcornonopolis mini-store with samples :getin:

Yes! Holy poo poo! Popcornopolis is amazing! Their zebra popcorn is one of the best things ever.

Every loving time I go to Costco I literally have to actively stop myself from getting it. It's easy enough right now but man, once you get into the holidays it's just so... appropriate and delicious.

Xaris posted:

Man, I thought for sure I'd hit a sweet spot hitting up Costco about 45 minutes before closing on a Tuesday night

You were a little early for an empty warehouse in CA. If you know what you want in advance, 25-30 minutes before closing is where it really thins out. And they won't kick you out even if you're slow. They have a lot of work to do after closing so it's no big deal.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I just get the bulk package of corn dogs and let my many children gnaw on a few frozen ones in the parking lot, and then I return the rest.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FCKGW posted:

By all means please do! If they are indeed awful, and Costco gets enough returns of these awful bars, then they can go back to their supplier and tell them the bars are awful and to make better tasting bars! :)

Returning stuff is your way of communicating to a retail store that something they sell sucks. If you don't return it, they will never know!

It is true that if a food item is defective (or really does objectively taste like poo poo within its category, with no redeeming value) then returning it is a good way to show your opinion.

But, and this should be obvious but whatever, protein bars are actually not made to be delicious to every single person.

They are, in reality, made to meet nutritional guidelines. There is no such thing as a real, nutritious protein bar that actually tastes good to everyone or even most people. It's just a thing that you eat without much enjoyment because you understand that the nutritional promise of the bar is more important than tasting good in the moment.

Therefore if you return a package of protein bars just because they don't taste good to your palate, you're being a douche. My recommendation would be to sack up, eat the bars and stop being a pussy but that's just me.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Peachfart posted:

The only time is is wrong to return stuff to Costco is if you thoroughly use the item and just return it past any reasonable expectation of the product being faulty.
Like if you buy jeans, wear them 50 times, and return them a year later. Otherwise if a product sucks, return it. How else will Costco know what is good?

you bring up some incredible and novel points, fellow human

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Last week I returned protein powder because it didn't taste good.

I also returned numerous medications that didn't taste good.

It's important that medicine, like protein bars, always taste delicious, because that is the primary function of both protein bars and medicine.

How will Costco know what people like if you don't return things ??? Answer that Costc-ailures

Checkmate :smuggo:

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

BTW if this happens I can be out of a job so please be nice and eat up all of the bars.

No gently caress you. Didn't you hear? The protein bar was less delicious than a Snickers so it got returned. What about that don't you get? wow, gotta spoon-feed people these days... pretty pathetic honestly, common sense- turns out it ain't so common anymore !

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Insane amounts of standard yellow mustard, and ketchup.

Wouldn't choose him as my wingman in a gun fight, that's for sure

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I hear Greg is a good guy. He wouldn't whine and just eat the protein.

:respek:

This guy gets it. Just eat the protein and stop whining. A winning move.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

My Costco is trying to rotate its hard liquor, and you know what that means! Costco clearances!

Hennessy VSOP Privilege: $28
Macallan Gold and Macallan 15 year Fine Oak, in a dumb watch holder case thing: $59!!!

Costco clearances are the poo poo.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The food court people are good, hard workers and we are honored sir.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

i mean come on man you live in america for chrissakes

Is this a joke or what

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fastball LIVE in concert posted:

I got a 5kg pack of ground beef, turned that into 6 1lb portions

ummm

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fastball LIVE in concert posted:

I don't know the difference between 5 and 10.
e: gently caress i don't know any numbers I guess. Time to put down the massive kirkland bottle :(

Kirkland forgives, friend.

Anyone else love the Seaweed snacks? They are probably the best tasting seaweed snacks around and they are something like 10-20% as expensive per volume of other brand like the Trader Joes ones.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

curufinor posted:

Still a little bit more expensive than at the actual Asian food mart, it seems to me?

Produce is extremely expensive in comparison to Asian markets, very competitive to, say, Safeway

I've never bought seaweed snacks at the Asian market, but it's worth noting that the Costco packages are chock full of seaweed. Literally 400-500% more sheets than other white person sources. I don't know how that stacks up to the asian markets but it's worth considering.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Felt a lil heated at the 'stco today!

She is unworthy of the incredible benefits package that Costco bestows upon their employees.

If karma is real, she will be working a gas station pump for tips in a few months.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I never take the samples because I don't want to be one of those people.

This the safe and reasonable way to approach samples.

I mean it's both. Either don't get the samples and retain your integrity, or say gently caress it and leave your cart lengthwise in the central aisle and take 6 samples and leave the toothpicks everywhere before peeling out and knocking down a stack of the sample boxes on your way out. This behavior is only slightly worse than the standard sample getter.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Stopped at Costco to get some rear end paper amongst other things. Well, you guys yet again are awesome. I asked and the cleric there gave me sauerkraut. PBUC

There it is. The optimal Costco hot dog topping configuration.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

limpy wimpy posted:

Brothers, I'm about to face one of the worst nightmares ever. I need to go to the 'sco on a Friday at 5 PM. I'm fully expecting Thurderdome in the parking lot. And feeling murderous rage as an rear end in a top hat leave his cart blocking the aisle while he tries to eat every sample at once.

5PM is actually not a bad time on any weekday, even on Fridays. The guard is changing- the old people are calling it a day and the commuters are on their way home.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dely Apple posted:

They have these Brioche Hot Dog buns at my 'co that hold a Mariners quarter pound dog fine enough. And they are soft and keep well in the fridge if need be.

Also voting for freeze your bread in general.

But I'm also concerned about freezing brioche. Brioche is amazing fresh because it's chock full of butter and eggs and it creates this rich fluffy texture/taste. But if you compromise the freshness by preserving it in any way, I think you run the risk of losing much of what makes brioche delicious while still consuming 100% of the fat and calories.

Don't get me wrong it'll still be good because it's brioche, but conceptually you should be weighing the calories of a meal vs. it's taste factor as... like... a general principle.

Eat fresh brioche yall.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Harald posted:

tbf Tilamook Jalapeno and pepper jack owns

It does. Tilamook is the easy choice for price/taste, for sure. That applies to all of its flavors. The best cheese for most people.

I'm a big advocate for Costco's boutique cheeses though. They have some amazing top shelf cheese for cheap. It's gonna run you a bit more than Tillamook but drat does Costco have some good fuckin' cheese.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Harald posted:

the big round of brie they sell is also a pro-buy (PBUC)

Hell yeah dude.

Let's get some burrata in there for good measure too baby.

Taima fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 19, 2017

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The goldenberries at my Costco have been discontinued and they are $6 for 1.25 pounds of raw dried berries right now.

Might want to check your Costco for 'em if you like goldenberries and live in CA

Gonna go back and get like 10 more bags tomorrow. Shiiiiiiit. PBUC.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I would be thrilled if Costco made the hawaiian pizza everywhere.

The problem is that the dough sucks. I hate to criticize the Almighty Costco, but they could do better. It's not even pizza dough, it's more like... focaccia dough or something. It's not bad (not great either) but regardless it's not pizza.

That being said, maybe the whole point of the pizza is that it's like 3,000 calories for $10 and if they made it more like a conventional pizza it would feed fewer people. I dunno. Costco works in mysterious ways.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Too much ketchup - not believable - very poorly executed. You have to at least attempt to seem credible or no one is going to bite.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

I used to get their San Francisco Bay French Roast

but idk if yours sells it. you can also buy peets coffee there tho i'm not the biggest peets fan, it's ok.

This is a great brand. The French Roast is good but I am all about the rainforest blend:

It's more of a medium-dark roast. It's so good.

RJWaters2 posted:

Oh word? How's their bulk salmon?

Very good. It freezes well and the flavor and texture is soooo good on the Kirkland version (its tender almost like raw salmon, which is a good thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I mean, they are fine if you’ve never had a bagel made from New York City water :grin:

I've made NYC style bagels before, for one they're boiled in barley malt syrup, and in general they're finicky and kind of a pain in the rear end. The dough needs to sit for days as well.

Costco probably wants nothing to do with the labor involved.