Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

$100 haul: two bottles of wine and $30 worth of whiskey, otherwise all cheap stuff

However... the new frozen burritos suck rear end!! Bland, no flavor at all. I loved the old ones, and I hope they bring them back!

Oh, and those black bean veggies burgers are loving amazing, I can recommend them to anyone.

What's the price on a bottle of liquor at costco?

VA doesn't have liquor in supermarkets, gotta go to the ABC. ABC stores don't seem expensive but it's hard to judge since they're state owned and there's no competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Bought a 10 pound bag of onions. So many goddamned onions. More than any man could need.

Sliced up a bunch and left em in vinegar because lightly pickled onions are the poo poo on 'whiches & hatdags.

Threw a bunch in the crockpot, had amazing french onion soup a day later.

Tonight, gonna chop one up, throw it in the deep fryer and make some onion rings for me and the boys.

PBUC

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

berth ell pup posted:

oh god, “dry brining”is a thing dumbasses do now to lovely meat their fat asses bought at Costco?

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

It's called dry brining and not just "seasoning" because it's done by a specific weight ratio for a planned culinary end result, you iodine deficient cretin.

Costco also clearly labels their meats with the grades & packaging dates, ensuring customers' access to the highest quality product should they seek it.

But for you, they have a great variety of frozen dinners to choose from.

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

GORDON posted:

So what does one do with the pork loin they sell for $1.99/pound? It's like 2+ feet long, with a 6 inch diameter. I've never seen a piece of pork in that shape.

I bought one of these on my last trip!

First I cut it in half and froze one of the sections. Then I cut every inch and you end up with a bunch of pork chops, which I vaccuum sealed in various marinades to cook throughout the week.

It's also common to just slow cook a foot of pork loin by itself. Aldi has some preseasoned ones that are the bomb when I'm feeling lazy.

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Bummey posted:

I regularly see people grab 2-5 samples off the tray, all for themselves. The workers don't seem to care.

Retail is soulcrushing, even if you're working for one of the good companies like costco.

If they did care, it would only be in the sense of "I hope the bitchy manager doesnt see that, then I'll get a lecture about reminding each customer its 1 per person which the ones who take 3 still wont listen to"

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Like a true bachelor, I've put off all Christmas shopping and I plan to go to Costco first thing tomorrow morning.

Any recommendations, kids or adults, for cool gift ideas, in the $20-$100 range?

I always get so overwhelmed in the 'Co... I'm hoping to find some stuff to look out for based off recent positive purchases.

tia

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Decided to try the boneless lamb leg for xmas this year.

I picked one of these up on a trip and prepared it same way.

it was loving divine

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The hams have started going on clearance at some Costco stores.

Whereabouts are y'all seeing these ham legs? I couldn't find one today(VA), and I would have lost my poo poo if it was 50% off like that.

Xmas Eve Trip Report

- Not particularly packed, about as much as any typical weekend.

- Started with a 'dog for breakfast to avoid shopping hungry. Onions were empty, and then I broke the goddamned handle off on accident... I ate in shameful silence.

- Got some lamb to roast, as well as Kirkland brand Tzatziki. Will be doing gyros with friends in the coming days. (Also got lamb ribs. That is for me and me alone.)

- Bottles of wine/champagne/craft beers for family that does drink, non-drinkers are getting sherpas, bathrobes or flashlights.

- Got myself a new memory foam bathroom mat. This is my 2nd one. The first one turned into a lumpy PoS the first time it ran through the washing machine. But the month or two of comfort you get from it is worth the price.

- Pleased with the amount of gender neutral/educational kids' things. (Yes, I am that uncle who buys all the kiddos natgeo subscriptions.)

- On my way out, tried a chicken bake from the cafeteria. Realized I had tossed my fountain drink from the beginning, denying myself the free refill I am owed. I will take my drink shopping with me next time.

P B U C

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

In my experience, Lamb does not vizzle well. Amps up the funk factor by 100.

Really? I do lamb ribs in the vide and they come out amazing, almost like the consistency of pulled pork.

Salt, pepper, 2 rosemary sprigs, 2 garlic gloves. 8 hours. Idr, the temp, but it's low. Pretty much just how you would do a steak.

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Wanted to to try the double cheeseburger last few times but the 1k calorie count kinda scared me off

Def gonna pig out next time Iím there in case it disappears

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

namlosh posted:

Iím dying for that adjustable elevated (elevating?) desk to go on sale again... now that I know the sale price itís tough to justify buying it at regular price :(

Do you know how much you saw that for? Those things are a hot commodity in my office.

Like, coworkers have had falling outs over who called dibs first when someone quits. A few people even used part of their christmas bonus even to buy one for themselves.

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

therobit posted:

My mother in law just allowed her kids to eat the dog food out of the dish on the floor.

Fun fact, pet food is FDA regulated and safe for human consumption

I think the idea behind it is if there's a natural disaster and someone has to eat cat food to survive then they can do that without health risk

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

namlosh posted:

They were $299 last time I saw them. The sale I saw, they were $199

Still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger.

Gonna keep an eye out for that sale price on my church trips

I think my coworker said he paid $350 retail wherever he bought it, prolly amazon

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

rotisserie chickens are the bomb too if you just want to strip them and fill up some some tupperware and have delicious sandwich meat for a week. Plus you can make decent stock with whatever is left over.

I kept an eye out for the Bitchin' sauce last church trip, but no luck. Whereabouts in the store does one find it?

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

it's with the hummus, guacamole, and spinach dip in the refrigerated aisles

drat, that's what I figured. I guess I'll have to wait and pray.

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

I bought the lobster bisque and crab soup last time, but honestly I felt a bit let down. There was like 0 meat in there, maybe a few strands but definitely no chunks.

Tasted great otherwise though. Next time Iíll make sure to buy some lump crab meat too...

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Does y'alls Costco carry red onions?

Mine only has vidalia & yellow

luckily my local Aldi has them in bags, but still i'd rather get it all in 1 trip

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Visited a Costco Business Center today for the first time.

Awesome pics!

I'm sad to say I looked it up and there's only 10 of these nationwide, and none of them are in the mid-atlantic region :negative:

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Pick posted:

if I go to buy something and it turns out the price has since increased, I'll just turn around and leave.

This must burn you all the time with how often prices change just due to market factors.

The long line bit is understandable though. I've totally gotten back in my car and drove somewhere else for what was probably longer than waiting in line to not have to deal with a crowded store.

I get the same way though with unmet expectations when I'm really in the mood for something. Like, if I order takeout hot wings and they're regular when I get home, those fuckers are going straight in the garbage and I'm ordering a pizza, regardless of how hungry I am.

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I used to have a membership for work but let it expire. I still go there for work purposes a couple times/year to check prices because their website is such poo poo. now I won't be able to get a dog or slice which sucks, but my "shopping" habits are clearly unusual.

They sell costco gift cards at pharmacies and stuff, just put some money on that they'll let ya in

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Argyle posted:

The other day while I was being rung up, an employee with a clipboard ran up to the checkout and was like ARE YOU AN EXECUTIVE MEMBER? BASED ON YOUR SPENDING YOU SHOULD BE AN EXECUTIVE MEMBER.

Pretty sure they're trained to say that to everyone, I got pitched with "our system flagged you, you should upgrade to executive blah blah" a few weeks ago

I told him I ran the numbers already and would need to spend 3k annually to break even, which I don't do, so no thanks

I'm sure I'd hit 3k if I bought gas there too, but I don't because I'm not going to drive 30 miles there and back to save $0.10 per gallon

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

The upside is that if you sign up and don't break even they'll refund you and let you cancel it.

We just did that with our executive membership. We did the math and we spent something like 70% of what we'd need to break even on it.

True, but one thing I want to add to this is that my buddy was told a pitch of "all the money your account has spent so far this year will carry over into the executive plan" and then when he did it, turns out that wasn't true and it started at zero.

Gaius Marius posted:

Costco is ancient though so I'm not surprised it's flagging accounts that aren't actually benefiting

I figured it was just a generic sales pitch they say because he was standing by the checkout hitting up everyone, and I don't see how he could have pulled up my buying history on his clipboard...

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I feel like I'm being gaslit, but I checked my google photos. Their search function is superb. They have always had seeds, but the seeds were few.

This one I had yesterday was exceptionally seeded.

Iím getting some Mandela Effect off this because Iíve never gotten a seeded hotdog bun... I think

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Chinatown posted:

For disaster prepping, may I humbly suggest Costco Business Center?

The silver lining of the apocalypse

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

GORDON posted:

Pro-tip: go tonight. Hide in the store overnight. Be in the back of the store in the TP section the instant the doors open.

Pro move: buy a red vest on amazon and walk in with the staff before opening

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

pump bottle of corn syrup to put on your pizza/hot dogs.

W H A T

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

now I know what I'm going to do with my costco sized feta cheese container that's nearing expiration

hakuna frittata

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Martman posted:

Any olive oil experts know some nitty gritty details about Kirkland olive oil?

My girlfriend got all intense about how most olive oil sold in the US is old and rancid (which I don't really doubt), and last time I went to church I was unable to get the Kirkland brand I normally get. She's very suspicious of the Kirkland Extra Virgin Italian Olive Oil (not the organic one) I picked up, mostly because it doesn't have a harvest/press date or whatever. Does anyone know if I can use the information on the bottle (lot number, product number, etc.) to find out its date info?

I can't confirm the rancid part, but I know that you want something that says "cold extraction within x hours of harvest" or "first cold press", as each pressing goes down in quality. There's a brand I get a lot that comes in a sort of octagon shaped bottle.

The main thing to watch out for is like store brand olive oil from walmart or other grocers. In the USA, they can water down real olive oil to 51%, fill it with some other cheaper oil, but still market it as "Olive Oil"

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Chinatown posted:

does Costco in the midwest sell cheese curds? like, the squeaky chewy ones? i love those.

They don't in VA, but the ALDIs around here do. One of these days I'll try making poutine at home.

Tell ya what though, I discovered recently cheese curds are divine inside a chili. Used instead of putting shredded cheese on top, the mixed in curds become these gooey little cheese bombs

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Delpino posted:

Bitchin' sauce eludes me in the northern Virginia area.

In Richmond Iíve only found it in high end grocers like Trader Joeís

And of course itís a tiny container for like 6 bucks

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Delpino posted:

For those of us whose churches do not have the sauce of Bitchin', we may be able to find it among the heretics. https://www.bitchinsauce.com/where-to-buy

How in the hell does my local Target have it, but neither of the 2 churches in my city???

Trip report from last week:

First time I've seen toilet paper in 3 months, and I go at least every two weeks

First time they've had steak in 2 months. Currently $16 per pound for beautiful marbled new york strip. Bought a 3 back for $60, as I had promised friends I'd treat them to dinner for a recent favor they did. It was their first time having a sous vide steak. They loved it. Made a mushroom and red wine pan sauce to drizzle on top, as one does.

24 packs of redbull currently 7 dollars off per case at $25 or so? I don't remember exactly but I did the math and it's basically half priced when compared to buying them anywhere else. Been maxing this out each trip because I'll drink them eventually, dammit.

Followed some advice in this thread and picked up a case of the kirkland brand coconut water. Good call.

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Virigoth posted:

Yesterday at my Co in Indy on the north side they told some people to get hosed at the doors who didnít have masks. Praise be.

Mine was giving them out to those who didn't have one at the entrance, PBUC

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Chiming in that my Ninja blender has been a pro-buy. I got mine from Amazon, idk about Costco, but yeah definitely buying another whenever it bites the dust.

:rip: onion dispenser, I await our reunion every trip. My first few Ďroni visits they had the diced onions in little plastic containers on the side you could get. Havenít seen those in weeks tho

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

priznat posted:

Yeah I do have one even although it is sucking less lately (heh) for whatever reason. I guess it isnít as ageless as the usual lovely parm powder I get.

Mine does this every once in awhile, prolly from juices just getting into the air intake, but Iíve had success with putting in a drop of rubbing alcohol between bags.

I figure the solvent helps loosen up whatever is in there

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah they sell two packs of ďcilantro lime cremaĒ at my Church, is thatís the same sauce thatís in the premade taco kits

seance snacks fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 30, 2020

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Chinatown posted:

does costco sell Bunkers for the covidocolypse

Letís start a petition, gotta keep my cheesy-Mac buckets somewhere

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Xaris posted:

- 12 pack of coconut milk for lentil curries/instantpot/desserts (get 2x flats of it, it goes by very quick and theres some weird coconut milk shortages going on. poo poo lasts awhile too so if you dont use it all, oh well)

Never seen this at my church but im going to keep an eye out big time for it tonight.

Is it near other canned stuff like tomatoes/peas?

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

A few people in this thread mentioned that new organic Sauerkraut being really good so I picked some up on my last church trip.

Can confirm, it's probably the best I've ever eaten. Delightfully tangy.

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

Just got back from Church. Had the bright idea today to bring mustard and sauerkraut with me so I could enjoy my hotdog to it's fullest potential.

Noticed they had riser desks again, which I regretted not pulling the trigger on last holiday season. These look smaller though, it was $80 instead of like $160 last year. Hopefully I can fit two monitors on it.

Did not see the giant bath robes yet, which was my second regret of not buying last year. According to the employee I asked, they don't carry them after Christmas. (except maybe online?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seance snacks
Mar 29, 2007

aqu posted:

I got a Costco jamon as a Christmas present last year. After the novelty of cutting off thin like slices wore off I and ended up carving off the meat in big pieces and then slicing it thin with a deli slicer. It took all day but it freezes surprisingly well.

I wonder how much a butcher/deli would charge if I rolled up with a whole Jamon leg