Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

One time I saw Stilton at the Costco I got it, when it was done there was no more Stilton to be found.

Same here! They have some amazing blue cheese from time to time, but never the same one for very long.
They also have the best price on the Cabot black 5-year cheddar.

When they put whole pork loins on sale, it's the cheapest meat you can buy, usually close to a dollar a pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

the good fax machine posted:

That's too much muffin. I can't eat all that poo poo in two days.

How about those luscious, fresh baked pies?

They are so cheap that I always want to buy one, but they are so loving big that one of them feeds like 12 people. Way too many loving calories for me to keep around the house.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

We get those huge bags of fresh greens from Costco... since the woman is vegetarian, we go through a lot of veggies!

I also bought a Costco vacation once, an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica. Saved over a $1000 off the price on the hotel's website.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Kirkland-branded crap that I use on a daily basis:
-paper towels
-toilet paper
-wet toilet wipes (are these the same as the baby wipes?)
-coffee
-allergy pills
-multivitamins
-bar soap (the knockoff Dove)
-liquid handsoap
-bath towels
-pepper and spices

Kirkland products I use, but not every day:
-laundry detergent
-peanut butter
-generic Advil
-meat

I also get 100% of my toiletries there, but most of that are branded products, not Kirkland.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, I love the whole beans in the yellow bag... Mayorga? something like that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The selection and prices in the booze area (in MA, it has to be walled off as if it were a separate building) are so good that it makes me wish I liked to drink.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Kirkland branded Manchego is really loving good. Better then some I've bought that were a LOT more expensive.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

Hey man what store do you meet girls at

I once dated a woman who was from a BJs family. Since I'm from a CostCo family, it just didn't work out.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ikea has great food, it's just not a bargain like CostCo. CostCo does offer superior mustard, though.

My grandmother bought her hearing aids at CostCo, and she loves them. Goes on and on about how cheap they were, and how much she loved the staff who fitted and tested her.
My optician works at CostCo, and I went to the LASIK surgeon she recommended to me.

Well, actually, she is my ex-optician, now. :smugdog:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I finally found something that is NOT a good deal at CostCo... Car Rentals.

I've used the CostCo vacations before, they have some excellent bargains on packages. But if you just need to rent a car? I found better values, and a wider selection, on American Express Travel.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SpannerX posted:

Went to Costco today to get kitty litter, ended up leaving after spending 180 bux. Good thing THE WIFE wasn't with me, it would have been 300+ easy.

Had the $1.50 sacrament, mustard and kraut. PBUC.

I LOVE the Kirkland kitty litter, great stuff.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I can identify all of those things expect for Sveitabaka. What the hell is that? I don't think I can pronounce it, either.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It used to be that way here, but is now in little individual containers behind the counter. Probably a case of a few bad nonmembers ruining things for the rest of us.

Yeah, and at some point they cut the amount of kraut supplied in HALF. You used to get close to 3 liquid ounces of it, which was almost too much. Now it's just barely enough.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I make my own kraut at home.

High-Five, fellow home-kraut maker. The stuff we make at home has more texture because we shred it larger, and more sour because we let it go longer before refrigeration.

Bonzo posted:

Think I could bring it in a baggie and add it myself?

I once brought in a giant 5-pound bag of Dunkin Donuts coffee beans, and ground them in the big grinder they have by the front desk. No one said a word.

So I'm guessing yes.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Count Freebasie posted:

Just saying "hi" from Costco while eating my hot dog and refillable soda ($1.50!).

The guy who rang me up is from Jamaica, and was quite pleased with my purchase of spicy beef patties.

Such a friendly congregation we have!

I'm not allowed to buy them anymore. :smith:

The last time I did, I ate nothing but beef patties for like 3 days, and it did a number on my guts.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Costco sells Jamaican beef patties?? Oh my dog...

It gets better, they come in a package that helps steam them in the microwave, so they actually come out of the microwave pretty good.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

All of the Costcos I've ever been to have had BOTH yellow mustard, and spicy deli mustard. I'd be pissed if I had to put plain yellow mustard on my dog.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yes, I did once, and my parents have taken several CostcoTravel vacations. You don't even have to be a member to buy one!

I'm a JetBlue junkie, so I bought my own plane tickets separately, but the vacation packages they sell include some nice stuff, like free transfers from the destination airport to your hotel.
Also, they only take a small deposit up front, and then don't charge your card until a few weeks before the trip.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Taima posted:

Kirkland forgives, friend.

Anyone else love the Seaweed snacks? They are probably the best tasting seaweed snacks around and they are something like 10-20% as expensive per volume of other brand like the Trader Joes ones.

No, we keep a stock of those on hand in my house, too. Yummy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Lol take over

Wow, Costco doubling Whole Foods.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I always take samples with no shame, because : I only take ONE (if the woman wants one too, she has to get her own), I always wait in line, I never stand there and wait for more to be prepared (if there aren't any samples, I go back to shopping) and finally, I never leave my cart someplace stupid.

I did have a sample contractor yell at me once, apparently I wasn't "grateful" enough. gently caress that guy, I'm sure he didn't last more then a couple days.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Went to Costco yesterday, but was not in the mood for the holy dog. Had the brisket and slaw sandwich, was yummy.

Saw two kids eating Costco dogs with ketchup, took every once of my will to not walk over and smack them out of their grimy little hands.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Up until I got LASIK last year, I bought all of my glasses at Costco.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Agreed! We dragged my grandmother kicking and screaming to Costco to get new hearing aids. Now she is so ridiculousness happy with them that she tells every single person she meets.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

if Costco did Lasik I would probably get it. bulk eyeball lasers blasted out by an aproned granny near the freezer section

Laugh if you must, but I was referred to my LASIK surgeon by my Costco Optometrist. He did great work!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

you know what i like ketcup and deli mustard on my dogs and i wont apologize for it it's what tastes good to me

eat whatever u want costco don't judge

Begone, ye of literal child palate!

You are not worthy of the Holy Dog.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

RocktheCaulk posted:

Come on now anyone with 55 dollars can buy an indulgence to the 'sTco and ketchup there dawg all they want for 1.50 (with refill).

BLASPHEMY!
Membership is not required to dine at the sacred food stand! All may share in the blessings.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, the high-density glass always costs more.

Baking your frozen veggies is definitely best, but it takes longer.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

FormatAmerica posted:

Can we start the second costco world war over what condiments are appropriate on the burg?

No, because ketchup is an acceptable topping on a burger.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I buy 100% of my personal hygiene items at Costco.

Kirkland Bar Soap, Dove knockoff (since I shave my head, this is also my shampoo)
Liquid Hand soap, 2 1-gallon bottles of clear soap (This lasts about 9 months, so I can't recall if it's Kirkland branded or not)
Gillette Gel shaving cream, 4 can pack
Gillette Fusion razor blades (I know these are stupid expensive, but they last a long time, and I don't want to use cheap blades on my scalp)
Gillette Gel Deodorant sticks
Listerine Cool Mint mouthwash (these bottle are so big that I pour them into a smaller bottle that I keep on the counter)
Kirkland wet asswipes

Well OK, not 100%, I don't get toothpaste at Costco. But otherwise, that's everything I use.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I guess toothpaste is one of the things I'm picky about, because they don't have a brand that I like.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Costco carries Palmetto pimento cheese. It's pretty great man. Also when you're there you can get a hot dog and a drink (with free refills) for $1.50!

Not in Boston they don't. I wish they did.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Powershift posted:

There are grades of maple syrup based on darkness. The darker the syrup, the stronger the flavor. costco's syrup is grade A dark which is pretty good. grade A golden is junk, grade A very dark is too much for some folks and usually only used for baking.

I'm a syrup snob because my folks live in Vermont, and their neighbors sell homemade syrup.

The poo poo at Costco is Canadian, and it's very very good. And consistent!

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

like tree fiddy for a big rear end tub of hummus this week

Got a blender? Try making your own some time!
The #10 cans of chickpeas are $2.40, and bags of lemons are usually like five bucks.

Croatoan posted:

Aldo I'm gonna get 2lbs of smoked Gouda for $6 because their cheese is amazingly cheap. Oh and the salmon cakes because those are the best thing Costco sells.

Damns straight. Best price around on Cabot extra sharp. Good goat cheese, and we love the Manchego. A few months ago, I bought some stupid expensive Manchego, and it was maybe a tiny bit better?
We didn't like the smoked Gouda all that much, though. It was OK. I think we've been spoiled by trips to the Dutch Antilles.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

100% Pork Hot Dog?

First thing that caught my eye!

Xaris posted:

yea. they close off our street and kids come all over, it was weird the first year i moved into my apt because we had a small bago f candy and it was gone in like 3 minutes. it was like a loving disneyland ride during springbreak, just horde of kids all over.

we were better prepared next year and got 3 big bags of costco funhouse candy but was still gone in under several hours and had to turn out lights off and put out a sign.

now we're going to get like 5-6 bags i think. god bless costco

e: i don't think our street is rich, it's a mix of single-family/multiplexes and some 2-story small aprtment buildings. it's a fine neighborhood but hardly rich or even the nicest by a long shot tho. i think it just got started as tradition or something idk

In my neighborhood, I get like 80-100 kids every year.

Here is a tip: in addition to real candy, get the big barrels of Utz Bats N Jacks pretzels. They are super cheap, and surprisingly popular with kids.
My CostCo usually runs out of them pretty early, so get them soon.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It's a cultural thing. Greeks and some other Mediterraneans cook whole lamb for holidays.

As for coffee, the Kirkland canned, pre-ground coffee really isn't bad. But if you have a decent grinder at home, get this stuff, it's DELICIOUS!

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 17, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'll bet you can get Asahi SUPER DRY, though. I'll drink that over an IPA any day.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

Restaurants source from multiple places and Costco *is* a wholesaler. The guy in front of you with a dozen 25lb bags of rice on an orange cart isn't buying it for home use.
There are Costco locations dedicated just to selling to businesses.

As someone who regularly shops at BOTH Costco and Restaurant Depot, when there are items that are directly comparable, the Costco price is always better. When stuff is on sale at Costco, sometimes drastically cheaper.

The difference is the deeper selection at RD, as well as stuff you would only use in a commercial kitchen.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dely Apple posted:

I impulse bought an Ultimate Sherpa Throw, it is very soft and comfy and I'm just going to be under here until April.

I've had one for three years. The cat loves it, as does pretty much any woman who comes over.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Costco dogs are very beefy, with a decent amount of garlic. Tasty, but I could never eat more then one.

The few times I've had both a dog and a slice, I've regretted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Out of toilet paper and wet asswipes, time to go engage in the dog sacrament.