Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My wife and I signed up last weekend and made our first decently sized haul on Friday. Got some Kirkland panko-breaded shrimp in the oven right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
When I signed up the other week, they told me if the cash back check for my Executive Membership wasn't at least $55, bring it in and they'll make up the difference. Signed up for that and the credit card and making a sweet 4% total cash back on all my Costco purchases.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
If Sam's Club's policies are like Wal-mart's, they would probably get fired immediately. I've seen a number of articles of people getting fired from Wal-mart for physically intervening with a shoplifter.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I have a 13.8 cubic ft upright freezer coming tomorrow. I foresee a a small child's weight in Normandy/stir fry veggies in my near future.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to try this whole trip report thing on my second Costco haul since I joined

Spindrift variety pack (my wife's gonna be sad when I tell her there's no blackberry)
Cholula
Meats: Tilapia, 10 lbs lean ground beef, 7 lb pork loin, pulled pork, indiv. frozen chicken breasts, Tyson panko breaded chicken
Veggies: Normandy veggies, stir fry veggies, broccoli
Snacks: Kirkland granola bars, Bark Thins, dried mandarin oranges
Vanilla ON whey
Nut butter CLIF bars
Garlic Parmesean bread
Ibuprofen
Allergy pills
and a rotisserie chicken for tonight's dinner!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

CharlesM posted:

Does Costco sell a hand truck / dolly that has 4 wheels? I remember the other day when I was there that there was a hand truck but I didn't look at it carefully, and I need one now -- specifically one of the kinds that both goes upright and lies flat.

Sorry, it's kind of a long drive for me.

https://www.costco.com/Cosco-3-in-1-Hand-TruckAssisted-Hand-TruckCart-with-Flat-Free-Wheels.product.100361868.html

Man, now I feel like I need a new one.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Two Costco stories today. Went there and got a dozen of those gigantic muffins (blueberry and apple crumb) which apparently was rung up as a watermelon and saved me almost $2 upon checking my receipt just now. Among other things I also got a loving 10 lb bag of Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix (just add water!) for $5.99. That's enough to make 280 pancakes. Even if we only use a couple pounds, that's still cheaper than buying a couple tiny boxes at Meijer. Oh poo poo, that best by date (in 2019) is my wife's 40 birthday. I wonder if I should dare tell her that... signs point to no!

My other story is making some stir fry with the individually frozen chicken breasts and stir fry veggies. I actually gave in and ate a couple mushrooms (decided they were gross when I was little and have avoided eating one for almost 37 years) and they weren't gross! Praise be to Costco! Still not planning on eating raw ones though.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

:rip: delicious, inexpensive organic strawberries.

At least I have another excuse to make a trip this week along with the new deals.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Sometimes I make a trip for only a few items, but then I grab a few other things, and next thing you know I'm dropping $130. I grabbed some shorts when I went last week, but they're too big. At least now I have an excuse to go back!

We haven't tried the cookies yet, but the muffins are good. I just want to drop five more pounds before I stop my cut. Then I can start eating all of the extravagant foods I see but skip when I scan the barcode in MyFitnessPal and I go :eyepop:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Get the Kirkland Steak Strips thick cut jerky ($9.99 for a 12oz bag). I bought a bag the last time I was there after recommendations in this thread. They are delicious. I just need to figure out how many bags to pick up on my next trip. I'm thinking at least four.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
The Kirkland protein bars are indeed good. I liked the cookie dough one better off the bat, but the brownie one has grown on me. You can really taste the stevia (or something) at first, but then you just get used to it and you don't even notice it anymore after a while. It's like when you switch to whole grain pasta and it's different at first, but then it becomes normal and delicious.

My wife's one of those people that doesn't understand the whole function over flavor thing. If I get her to try a delicious flavor of protein powder, she doesn't just take a sip, she really tries to taste it, then complains she can taste the artificial sweeteners. I don't even bother anymore.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

FCKGW posted:

what the

Would you rather they split the dog, and meet in the middle, Lady and the Tramp style?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I just cut the muffins in half. Then it's like getting two dozen ~320 calorie muffins. Most go straight into the freezer as soon as I get home so they don't go bad.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Kirkland organic peanut butter is so good, we make sure none goes to waste in this household.

He long ago mastered the open mouth to reach to bottom of the jar technique. He doesn't even leave any teeth marks behind.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I just wish they made those shorts in a smaller size. I grabbed the 32s, but they were too big. I wanted to be disappointed, but then I realized it was because my love handles are gone. Still a win!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
It seems they are phasing out the Sun Tropics dried mandarin oranges my wife loves so much. They were $9.97 in May, $4.97 two weeks ago, and $1.97 today. Needless to say we have almost twenty bags of them in the house now. On another dried fruit note, the dried blueberries are amazing. I made a big batch of waffles Friday night and threw them in. So good, especially with Kirkland organic peanut butter and strawberry spread on top.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I roast my Normandy veggies from frozen. Put some foil down on a baking sheet and pour the veggies on it. Drizzle some olive oil, salt, and pepper over them. Mix them all up to make sure they all getting some coating. Put them in the oven and set it to 400 degrees. Once it hits 400 (hopefully your oven beeps at you), set the timer for 20 minutes. If they aren't ready after that, give them five more minutes.

I have the same issues with the carrots when microwaving them. I put a paper towel in the bottom of the bowl to absorb some of the water. I don't know if it really helps much, but I tell myself it does.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
While I can't speak for the food court (never eaten it, don't kill me), we picked up the $6.99 chicken/swiss and caesar salad combo the other week from the prepared foods. We split it for dinner the next day and it was delicious! I didn't notice the sandwich was on a croissant when we bought it, but it made me want to go buy a bunch of croissants afterward. Or at least another sandwich/salad combo.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I was a fool and went at noon today. Too many whales and whale children blocking was wasn't blocked by the free sample carts, too close to exp. date on some items I wanted, and it looks like the Kirkland chocolate chip granola bars have been replaced with a chocolate dipped variety pack, so my wife isn't happy. Oh, and Coke products (I know, don't buy soda there) went up by $1.24.

To top it all off, I come home and the laundry room smells like burning (band-aid smell). It appears the washer I just spent $300 having fixed a couple weeks ago has issues again. It said 1 min left and kept spinning like mad for 15 minutes until I manually stopped the thing. Time for a new washer, I guess.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Fog Tripper posted:

The protein bars are better anyway

I have boxes of those as well, but my wife likes to have the granola bars on hand at work to snack on.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My wife forwarded me some article about Costco shortly after we joined that had tips/tricks/info from a Costco employee. One of the items was that the receipt checker was checking to make sure you didn't get charged for extra items. I had a few cases when the checkout person scanned an item I was buying a number of one too many times (but corrected it during checkout). Once when I was having my receipt checked, the receipt checker asked, "Six bags of dried oranges? Is that right?" Yes, it was. So I'm fine with them checking my receipt, not just because I agreed to it, but because they have my back.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I bought one of the 60x70 Ultimate sherpa throws last weekend to surprise my wife. She came along today, we now have a second Ultimate, and a queen sized one as well. She thinks we need to buy more as Christmas gifts as well.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
You bet I'm gettin'
That four ninety-nine chicken
For dinner tonight

Wife wants other stuff
I guess I will need a cart
Now off to the 'co!

Edit:

I showed up too late
I was not the only one
No chicken for us

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 9, 2017

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Argyle posted:

Same.

Anyone ever tried freezing the muffins or pastries? I love them, but as a bachelor living alone there's no way I could eat 12 muffins/8 danish before they go bad. The croissants freeze well enough.

We freeze the muffins and the cookies. It's all good. Sometimes I'll pull a muffin out of the freezer before I go to bed. Other times I'll just throw it in the microwave for like 35 seconds from frozen. The chocolate ones are really good microwaved as the chocolate chunks will melt. I individually wrap them with plastic wrap, then store them in freezer bags. You can fit half a dozen in a single freezer bag.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Last week I went to get a chicken too close to closing. Today I go early and they have a sign "NO CHICKEN AVAILABLE DUE TO DELIVERY ISSUES".

:rip:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
We bought an upright freezer after we got our membership earlier this year. Costco sold the same model, but it was cheaper here.
https://www.appliancesconnection.com/danby-duf138e1wdd.html

We had a chest freezer, but our problem was that the more you put in, you forget what was underneath, and then you had to go digging for stuff. I much prefer being able to see what's in my freezer at all times.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Do they have select a size Kirkland paper towels? That would be the only way my wife would let me buy them. It's select a size or nothing in this household.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I liked the Kirkland Greek Yogurt variety pack but it seems it was discontinued. But they do have Siggi's Skyr now, so that's cool. $12.99 for a twelve pack of vanilla and strawberry is a good deal as single cups are like $1.59 at Meijer.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I have bad news and more bad news.

The bad news is I also live in Ohio. The other bad news is I just got home from Costco and they didn't have any of the Kirkland steak strips. Well, there's a chance they had them at the entrance or something, but they were nowhere to be found in the snack aisles.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
There's an old guy who checks receipts at our Costco that likes to make jokes. He always calls me cookie monster when I check out with a bunch of the chocolate chunk cookies for the wife. He's a cool dude.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Wirth1000 posted:

Costco chicken + Costco caesar salad yet again blowing my balls into orbit with freshly baked Costco ciabatta.... gently caress. God drat. Piss.

Why so good?????!!!!

and yes!!1 i read that article where its just full of delicious MSG!~

I also read that article, but the last time I picked one up I checked the ingredients list and I didn't see it listed. But I did see some nutjob MSG site that listed a million other ingredients that were supposedly secret ways to sneak in MSG, so maybe it has one of those? Either way, double-blind tests showed that the whole MSG is terrible thing is bullshit, so who cares?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Good Dog posted:

I want a waffle maker but never have time for breakfast at home in the morning.

Here's what you do. Buy a waffle maker. Buy a big ol' box of pancake mix and the Kirkland dried blueberries. Mix up a batch of batter using the waffle instructions. Pour it into the waffle maker and then sprinkle on the dried blueberries. Eat a couple of the waffles. Freeze the rest of them. I like to individually wrap them in the Ziplock sandwich bags (which I bought on sale at Costco, of course). Then when you want a waffle in the future, pop it into the microwave for thirty seconds to thaw it out. Optionally, throw it into the toaster briefly after microwaving to make it crisp again (the microwave makes it soft, but going straight to the toaster gets you a burnt outside and frozen inside). Then top it with whatever you want. The Kirkland PB, strawberry or raspberry spreads, or syrup are all good choices.

I do this like once a month and then I have waffles to chow down on every weekend before going cycling all afternoon.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I stopped at a rest area on my way home (safety, then savings!) from an out of town meeting to confirm the price was actually true. Then I picked up six boxes on my way home. Can't beat $11.99! Thankfully my store started carrying the new variety packs as well because those are amazing. I think nine boxes total is enough for now.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Remulak posted:

Aha, biggest problem with Costco is WHERE DO I PUT ALL THIS BULK STUFF? I'm convinced that it can only co-exist near McMansions.

We ran out of space so I just bought a 6' tall or so wire shelving unit at Target and put that in the dining room. Might not be classy having all of that stuff out in the open, but idgaf. With stuff out in the open instead of in a pantry, it's easier to remember that it exists and it all gets eaten before it goes bad. Plus, if anything, I'm just advertising to any visitors that I know a good value when I see it!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Started off my vacation right. Went to Costco and got the $60 hammock and I'm chilling and posting from it in the backyard right now. Just sent a picture of my lower half chilling on the hammock to my wife, feeling like an Instagram model. Also picked up some flowers on the way out because it's my 7th wedding anniversary.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Man, Costco needs to up their packaging game. My wife ordered some stuff online (she hates going in as she thinks it's too crowded) and it came in the flimsiest cardboard box. Everything in it was smashed up. Now I get to go return the stuff to pick up unsmashed versions from the shelves. This is the second time this has happened.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Costco is two miles from my house, but my wife will pay more to order stuff from the web site just so she doesn't have to deal with all the morons blocking everything with their carts.

Also, the Kirkland organic Greek yogurt is amazing. I bought it one time when they didn't have the 0% Fage and I prefer it.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the online prices either are more expensive because they include shipping or you're paying $3 per item for two day shipping unless you spend $75. One time she bought Kleenex and those Nature Valley almond butter biscuits. Cost $6 to get something I could have picked up on my almost weekly trips. To top it all off, the shipping box and items were all smashed up.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I bought the Chocolates of the World a few weeks back. Too many of them are milk chocolate. I actually like key lime truffles, but mine only came with a single one. I'm just going to stick to the Sanders Sea Salt Caramels as those are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I went tonight 45 mins before closing and it wasn't bad at all. I picked up some of those butter cinnamon sugar loaves, figuring we'd take one to my mom's for Thanksgiving. Never had them before, so I figured I'd try a slice of one of the other two before I wrapped and froze them. Holy poo poo, these are amazing. It was hard to not just keep slicing off more.