Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
I had only visited Costco once before, on Christmas eve in Seoul after a 12 hour flight to get everything needed for some kind of Christmas dinner the following day. While the prices seemed good, the mass of people filling the aisles made it an absolute hell, and I vowed never to return.

But after reading this thread, I decided to give it another shot. So, yesterday the wife and I once again visited the same Costco, wandered the slightly less crowded aisles, found the sherpa throw (but didn't get one because of limited luggage space and my aversion to heat), though did pick up a couple of fleece lined flannel shirt/jackets and a bunch of stationary and snacks.

Had the fabled hot dog/drink combo for 2000₩ ($1.76). It was good. We'd had lunch prior to going, so didn't get to try the bakes.

A+ would visit again. Pbuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Xaris posted:

The TCL 40"+ 4K tvs are loving legit man for like $200-300, its insane. do it. my only prob is the sound/speakers is not great and often hard to hear dialog in shows, like i can turn up volume but then explosions n poo poo are super duper loud. im not sure what to do about that though. happy if anyone has suggestions.

but yeah they sell desk chairs, sometimes only occasionally i think or sometimes different models

Not costco, but when I was looking for a cheap big rear end 4k tv, a lot of the suggestions came up as having poorer sound quality, though many reviewers suggested getting a soundbar to remedy the issue.

As it was, the Finlux I got seems fine for the most part, so I can't confirm/deny if it works well.

E: see above

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
As Costco membership is worldwide, we brought my wife's card back with us from Korea to see what the local branch was like.

Kind've weird to see the little regional differences (Eg. At Leeds you can get a platter of sushi rolls, but not sashimi like in Seoul). Although we didn't buy a whole lot this first trip, we plan to make more infrequent trips once we get a hold on what we need. Some stuff was an absolute steal though (24x500ml bottles of water for 2.49).

We were a little worried there wasn't a food court at first, because half the reason to go was to get a dog and try the chicken bake. But it was tucked away in a little section with the tables. Chicken bake was good, but there was no onion dispenser, the server just asked if you wanted your dog with or without. Got a bbq chicken pizza to take out for dinner (and breakfast), which was pretty decent for the price.

PBUC

Edit for Jamon chat: one of the local supermarkets had jamon legs for sale last xmas at something like ~£30. Didn't bother getting one for one reason or another. By New Year they were on sale for ~£20. By the end of January, with only a month on their use by date left, they were down to ~£10.

I ate a whole lotta jamon in February.

StevoMcQueen fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 17, 2018

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

durrneez posted:

And poo poo it out all the time

It’s cured, right? so is the use by date more of a polite suggestion like in the States?

I think so, to a point.

The instructions with the one I got stated that it should be covered in a little oil to help keep it from spoiling between uses, and it had a muslin cloth bag to put it in. But even with that, you start to notice the odd bit of discolouration or small white dots of mold forming, though apparently that's normal.

Still, I ate the lot within a month, and didn't die. Would do again. Pro-tip: when you get bored of doing it properly and making wafer thin slices, just cut a 1/4-1/2 inch thick slab off and gently fry it like a gammon steak.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Every time I see one of those arcade games I think how much more useful it would be if it was just an arcade system that with USB for the controller and an HDMI port for a RaspPi or SFF PC and run MAME and other emulators. I'd assumed those existing, but I didn't see anything on Amazon, surprisingly.

Pretty sure there are companies making such things (I think I had an ad for one pop up on my facebook feed), where it emulated multiple arcade cabinets and systems, but they're pretty pricey.

I like the idea of having one, but I know I would just go back to playing my current gen stuff. Not gonna lie though, if money was no object I'd have one already (and the sit down Star Wars cabinet https://www.vintagearcade.net/shop/arcade-games/star-wars-sit-down-arcade-game/).

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Not the Costco jamon, but most of the UK supermarkets get some form of jamon around the festive period.

2018, I watched as the prices dropped over the Xmas and New Year period. 2.5kg half leg (https://groceries.asda.com/product/chorizo-salami-hams/asda-extra-special-serrano-ham-leg/1000009332965), started around £30(~$40). By the time I picked one up at the start of February, it was reduced to £8(~$10).

The only downside being that it's use by date was mid-March. So to begin with it was all delicate slices, but that soon gave way to cubing it up like pancetta and adding it to other foodstuffs, and eventually just cutting thick slabs to fry off like a bacon chop.

By the end of it, I was a little sick of jamon. But I finished it. Saw the same sort of price drops in 2019, but didn't pull the trigger that time. Once was enough.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I didn't think about the cat factor. My cats have shown zero interest in human food, but with an entire ham sitting out that might change the equation.

My cat had no interest in the jamon, and she usually hangs around and makes every attempt to get food that I'm prepping. My jamon came with a stand and a little bag to put it in, so that might've been deterrent enough.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Air fryer question: will it make store bought breaded/battered chicken wings significantly crispier than just cooking them in the oven or deep frying?

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Currently eating a giant Costco muffin and I'm in awe at the balls on them to try and make a serving half a muffin.

No one is eating half a muffin :cmon:

Had the same thing where a cup noodle tried to claim it was 'about two servings'.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Spinz posted:

I just turn around and go the other way I drive my Costco cart like a go-kart at a kiddie track. gently caress you slow strollers I'm weaving in and out of the aisles fast eyes constantly tracking side to side looking for 97s

The cart is one of the few things I don't like about Costco, because it has (standard for US?) fixed rear wheels, versus the "all wheel steer" trolley of usual UK supermarkets that let me drift round corners like Ken Block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

david_a posted:

On a cart that size I think all-wheel steering would be chaos. If it’s heavily loaded down with stuff, smaller/older people would not be able to control it.

Then they'll die historic on the fury road Costco carpark!