Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

thathonkey posted:

have you tried kraft

look at moneybags here with his name brand mac and cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tried the two pack of flatbreads in the prepared foods section (was new at my local Costco), one is barbecue chicken (chicken breast, cheddar, red onion, barbecue sauce) and the other is pesto meatball (meatballs, mozzarella, tomato slices & sauce, pesto.)

Barbecue sauce was too sweet, meatball half was surprisingly good. Would only buy again if they changed the sauce or if I could talk someone behind the counter into making me one with two of the meatball variety.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Probably depends on who you get or the proximity of a member of management. My theory is there are a bunch of esoteric rules that only get enforced when someone feels like going on a power trip or they're being closely watched.

For instance I've taken friends a few times and the cashier never said anything, but the last time I took someone with me when he tried to pay the cashier said he would either have to pay cash or buy a membership when he tried to use his debit card - something about "the name on the payment card has to match the name on the membership card."

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 25, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Meydey posted:

They might balk if its real busy, just ask nice.

The store I frequent told me they were all made ahead of time so there's no customization allowed.

OTOH it was less than an hour to close so that could have been a factor.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Statutory Ape posted:

tuna...in MAYO????????

its almost like a tuna...salad????????

Tuna salad is more than tuna and mayonnaise, HTH.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Granted the store I frequent is less than two years old, but I've never had to wait for gas.

Even at 10 AM on a Saturday (friend was throwing a birthday party and needed to go shopping at the last minute) it was only moderately busy and we didn't wait longer than 10 minutes in the checkout line.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Xaris posted:

In general, "i'll take a hot dog" is the best since the hot dog is cheap and owns bones. I think there's very few situations you should ever take anything over the hot dog.

Yeah but there's this great indie artisanal butcher I buy hot dogs from who uses locally raised organic free range cuts of meat and natural casings, if you think the Costco hot dog is good you clearly haven't had a good hot dog

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

insulated staircase posted:

kirkland light all light beer is carbonated water

Fixed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Insanity, all the ‘stcos round here have them.

Seems to be something they aren't putting in new stores. The two closest to me are 5 years old or newer and neither has a coffee grinder.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TheReverend posted:

Worth it for just a goon and his wife?
( Aside from the dogs and free refills)?

Absolutely. My wife and I have no children and probably never will, but pet food savings alone pay for our annual membership.

Now that I drive by a Costco on my way home from work we've almost completely stopped shopping at traditional grocery stores with the exceptions being things that you can only obtain at Costco in bulk - two people aren't going to be able to eat a 3 pound tub of sour cream or two dozen eggs before they go bad, for instance.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

KakerMix posted:

lmao challenge completed already, this is exactly what my wife and I do with that big-rear end tub of Daisy sour cream.

Do you put it on everything or eat it by the bowlful?

Tried it once, started molding over after about a week. Yeah its cheap but I feel bad buying more food than I know we can finish before having to throw it out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Renegret posted:

I haven't had a chicken bake in a while either I have fond memories of those as a teenager.

Tried one about a month or so ago, would describe it as filling yet bland.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wow, its almost like people don't want to pay a membership fee to buy the same poo poo you can get at Walmart at a slightly discounted price or higher volume.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Hed posted:

How are the Kirkland paper towels. And Kirkland facial tissue. Are these bad enough paper products to grace my home?

Not sure on the tissues but much earlier ITT someone observed that the Kirkland paper towels and toilet paper are made under contract by the same companies that make the national brands. You're getting the same product at a lower price with a different label.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mine dropped the bratwurst for chili.

Tried the chili, its kind of bland. Would rather keep the brats.

Accretionist posted:

Anyone else do 'light cheese?'

How do you get the food court to do custom pizzas? According to the employees behind the counter all the pizzas are made hours in advance and they just pull them out of the cooler as needed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Maybe I just need to try again. The answer I got was basically "we never do it" while the three employees behind the counter were standing around doing nothing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Outside of local/regional beer I rarely see anything worth buying. Every now and then they'll have a sampler pack from Stone or Goose Island and in early summer I've seen 50/50 30 packs of Modelo Especial & Negra.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Hypnolobster posted:

Also Ohio. No Costco liquor for me.

The thing that really sucks about Ohio is all the states that border it are also control states. I think we'd have to drive to New York or Illinois to experience a Costco liquor department.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

feedmegin posted:

Umm or Michigan as far as I remember. Meijer will happily sell you whisky so I assume Costco does too.

The good stuff, or some off-brand swill that comes in a plastic bottle?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

A friend who went with me when considering buying a membership asked the door checker on the way out how thorough they are - she replied if the receipt has less than 15-20 items they do an item count, otherwise they check for big ticket items or the most expensive ones on the receipt.

Unclear if this is corporate policy or if how thorough the checkers are is handled at the store level.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Do you have the one that's on sale? I want it very badly

We picked up the smaller one when it was on sale during December (FM2100), its been great. I have some sirloins I picked up just after New Years in the freezer that have zero freezer burn, and the resealable bags it came with are great for sous vide.

I don't think you could go wrong with either, but the one that's currently on sale takes up a lot of counter or cupboard space.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

therobit posted:

I got curious and started googling. It looks to me like they will probably cover it and repair that flat for you. Please update is worth your outcome though.

Costco road hazard warranty information.

Looks like as long as you're the original purchaser, you have the receipt, the tires have been regularly rotated and the damage wasn't caused by vandalism, an accident, off road use or misalignment they'll cover it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Taima posted:

Haven't tried it yet, is it good?

Probably as good as a burger prepared in a commercial pizza oven can be.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Chinatown posted:

I'm pretty sure you can custom order the toppings if you get a full pie.

YMMV on this, when I asked I was told they made the pizzas early in the morning and they can't/won't customize them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ArbitraryC posted:

why is no lard a selling point

Fat in food averse Americans and tortillas are largely made with lard in Mexico.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

a hole-y ghost posted:

where are you

Probably a control state, where liquor can only be sold by franchisees/licensees of the state liquor control board.

As a resident of one it sucks. There's zero price competition since the state liquor board is the sole source and sets prices. They also choose availability, so while there's 100+ different flavored vodkas available rarer stuff that's vital for classic cocktails has been discontinued because the state doesn't think the volume is high enough to justify selling it, and to take it a step further its illegal to import bottles for anything other than private consumption.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FilthyImp posted:

Yo I just saw that Kirkland is making HaagenDazs style ice cream bars (complete with chocolate shell and nuts).

$10 for a pack.

Tried a sample when I stopped in after work yesterday, they're pretty good. Would have bought a box but it was in the high 80s out and it's about a 25 minute drive home outside of rush hour so I passed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Don't tell me you haven't picked up the Costco cooler bag?

I have coolers and a cooler bag, but I don't regularly carry one with me unless I'm planning on buying cold or frozen things in the summer.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sorry, didn't notice the pizza because I'm too busy staring at that giant spit of al pastor meat...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm from Wisconsin, the land of the brat, and I like the dog better.

Running bratwurst through a commercial pizza oven and doing nothing else is a terrible way to prepare them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Also makes a great cold pasta salad.

We tossed two pounds of fusilli with some cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, Kirkland pesto and parmesan and a splash of reserved pasta water for a party on the fourth and had to sheepishly admit the secret was Costco brand pesto when everyone asked for the recipe.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

My Costco used to stock 24 bottle flats of Deer Park sparkling water in four flavors (lemon, orange, black cherry, lime raspberry) but they've been replaced with 30 can packs of Klarbruun in two flavors (lemon/lime and black cherry/grapefruit.)

It's largely a downgrade.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The secret is don't bake it all at once. My wife and I can get 4-5 meals out of one tray of it by baking individual portions in a medium Pyrex bowl.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

We've been using the Kirkland environmentally friendly liquid laundry detergent since we first got our membership in 2016. Scent is pleasant and not too strong and does a good job cleaning - we rarely have to run anything twice.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Most modern vehicles can run on E-85 even if they're not "flexfuel" capable. They just won't be happy about it and will likely run poorly/rough, potentially with a check engine light - but it shouldn't cause any permanent damage.

There's rumors about how the ethanol will eat at rubber seals and hoses but again, modern vehicles have been designed to accept ethanol in the fuel (most pump gas is E10 or E15 unless you buy it at an airport, marina or race track) and can handle E-85. I'd be surprised if the fuel actually caused the problem - at least assuming the truck delivered E-85 in place of 87.

e: the story linked below is a much more likely scenario.
VVV

Geoj fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 28, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BaconCopter posted:

Those patties are visibly overcooked to the point where they look like they were deep fried.

cooked in the commercial conveyor pizza oven, no doubt. Which is a terrible way to prepare a burger.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Saw this in the prepared meals section yesterday -

They're certainly more gringo than street taco, but they only take about 10 minutes to prepare - just reheat the chicken, fry the tortillas and assemble. Corn tortillas were surprisingly really good - thick enough that you can get a good blistered char on the outside without turning them into chips.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Coredump posted:

I get pretty irritated with the DirectTV guys asking me every time I come to shop “Hey you want to hear what we got going on today?” You’re trying to sling cable that’s what you got going on, be upfront about it. Someone runs into them the first time they may think they’re gonna talk about something Costco has going on. Nope it’s just a cold approach trying to sale cable. They need to say “Can we talk to you about what DirectTV is offering?”

I just tell them I don't have broadcast TV at home and it tends to shut them up.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Taima posted:

Yeah I feel that this is a misunderstood part of the Apple ecosystem. The goal is to make the other devices redundant as much of the time as possible.

Macbook - Apple Watch - iPhone - Airpods

For example, when I use my macbook pro I can ignore every aspect of my phone and watch, as I can make calls from my computer, text on my computer, etc. it just does everything I need to do while I'm sitting down working or in a meeting. Phone stays in pocket, and watch unchecked.

Then, when you're out and about, the watch, especially in concert with Airpods makes your phone completely redundant- it's the only device you care about when you're on the move.

Of course if you're mobile and you're also trying to browse the web, search for some piece of data or use an app (I view this as being quasi-stationary, like in the subway or stopping what you're doing to some degree but not to the extent of busting your macbook out) you use the iPhone. But the iphone is really just the hub of the system allowing autonomy of the other pieces of the package. Sometimes you need your phone, but mostly it can stay in your pocket.

Stationary: Macbook
Quasi-stationary: iPhone
On the move: Watch and Airpods

TL;DR I spent $500+ so I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket for basic tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Taima posted:

Yep, I can afford it, sorry your balls hurt about it / I'll be first in line for the guillotines / etc

More like $800 but close enough

e: it's kind of weird to get this stuff in the Costco thread by the way, you realize the average household income for a costco shopper is in the 6 figures right

I'm coming more from the "how's the kool-aid tasting now that someone besides Steve Jobs is making it" side of things.