Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?

Clapping Larry

Bought like $20 in ribs and pressure cooked them in a mango habenero marinade I made and they turned out awesome. Got just about every sample they had yesterday too.

Resisted the urge to buy some of that golden island kbbq pork jerky because I end up eating the whole thing in like 1-2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Olanphonia posted:

Sounds great, post that marinade please

I'm still working on it little by little, I've only made them twice so far but:

Mango Nectar Juice (1/2 gal carton)
Habeneros (1/2 pound?)
Soy Sauce (Cup~)
Liquid Smoke (1/2 Cup~)
Worsterchire Sauce (1/2 Cup~)
Garlic (All of the garlic)

In a blender together. The first time I just sliced the habeneros and they just floated on top and didn't get alot of heat in the sauce/marinade.

Salt+Pepper+Chili Powder rub on the ribs. This last time I used 7lbs of ribs and had them in the pressure cooker for 18min, first time I had them in for 20min which I think was just a bit too long. 18min was better. You end up with a ton of liquid after they're done cooking, so I take some of it and reduce it in a pan to thicken it up and then brush it on top to taste.

I'd like to experiment with doing more like 15min in the pressure cooker and then finishing them on the grill to get a bit of a sear/crust on the outside. I'll probably try that next time. 7lbs of ribs from costco ended up being (2) 16-bone racks which I cut in half to fit in the cooker better.

If anyone has any rib tips (or recipes for Rib Tips :swoon:) let me hear 'em.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Croatoan posted:

The AMC ones have a stupid stipulation that they can't be used on anything released by Disney. Unfortunately that means no Marvel films, Star Wars films, Pixar films and regular old Disney films. I honestly have no idea if that's America only. It was quite a shock to me when I tried to use them when taking a group to see guardians of the galaxy two "on me". Fuuuuck that got expensive quick.

I did not know that was a thing. I've actually got some AMC tickets from the 'co in my wallet, looking at them I don't see anything about Disney movies. It says there will be a surcharge for 3D or premium formats (IMAX, AMC Prime), special promotions. It does say that is certain locations may also have surcharges, notably Disney and Unviersal owned properties operated by AMC.

https://www.amctheatres.com/exchange-tickets-terms

I'm in California so Costco sells the black ticket here. I'm not sure if other states use other colors but I see that Yellow and Red aren't valid in CA. I'm pretty close to the Downtown Disney AMC so I assume that wouldn't work or I'd get charged extra. I guess I've gotten lucky and just not tried to use the AMC tickets on Disney movies.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Picked up 3lbs of salmon and some Normandy blend veggies for meal prepping.

Also 3 bags of the sweet pork jerky because everyone loves it.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Went to the 'co and got a roast chicken, some ground turkey and some rolls to make some sandwiches to take to the ball game. Grapes too. Love Costco green grapes.

Passed on the kbbq pork jerky this time because it's just got so much sugar :(

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

FCKGW posted:

Lol this is the exact Tustin Costco I'm taking about that I pass every day. Maybe it's just that particular one that's a disaster.

I go to this Costco because they put the gas station across the street from the rest of Costco so all the lovely traffic gets stuck over there instead of flooding the whole parking lot.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

ArbitraryC posted:

the weird part is you buy a big thing and it's still more expensive per pound than just a local place.

This is true for a ton of things at costco. There are some items that are a great buy and are cheaper or better quality that make it worth it, but if you're buying all of your groceries from the 'co you'll probably never recoup your $50 a year. Cool, I can buy 5lbs of butter at once for a higher unit cost than 1lb from a regular grocery store? There are some things like meat that are easy to freeze so buying in bulk makes sense, but my Stater Bros will have chicken thighs or breasts for literally half the price as Costco when they go on sale, and its the kind of thing that is easy to only buy when it goes on sale every other week.

And at Stater Bros I don't have to wait 10mins to find a parking spot a quarter mile away and then wade through crowds of people and then wait in a checkout line that is 5+ people deep.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You sound dangerously close to heresy, friend...

You don't need a membership to buy your hotdog, and in many states you don't need a membership to buy alcohol or pharmacy goods.

I've got maybe 10 things I'll buy from costco that are unbeatable price wise, but on just about any dairy/produce its cheaper to get at a regular grocery store.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Carbage and apples. Post the meat trip.

I wish it was cold enough to warrant sleeping under a blanket. It's gonna be 100+ this weekend still. We still in "sex in front of a box fan" mode around here.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Symetrique posted:

The Tustin marketplace Costco has a couple bottles of the Blade Runner edition of Johnnie Walker, if anyone's been looking for it.

The new Stater Bros on Tustin Ranch/Valencia a mile away is the nicest grocery store I've ever been in.

This weekend I slept in on Sunday and made some pancakes with those protein Kodiak Cakes and some Kirkland maple syrup. Very good.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

The Midniter posted:

Bought enough candy in the form of Kirkland variety bags for $30 to give to 100 trick-or-treaters. We'll be lucky if we get 25 tonight. Do I return the second bag after Halloween like a dick, or do I get fat on candy? Decisions, decisions.

Give kids massive handfuls of candy. Last year we ended up reverse trick or treating and walked around the neighborhood giving candy away.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Good soup! posted:

yo those frozen beef and cheese burritos are p good

They're even better when you heat em up.

Gotta stop by the 'co and pick up some more egg whites and ground turkey. It might be finally be getting cold enough to warrant a blanket, too.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

quarter pound hot dog
and drink with a free refill
only one fifty

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

ArbitraryC posted:

I could see it working for large families but it feels nearly impossible for 2 people. 3k/year is 250/mo and considering a lot of groceries (veg, fruit, pork, chicken) are much cheaper at local places I just can't see myself racking up that much on frozen treats and dairy. Maybe if you ate a lot of beef I guess.

Same here. It is hard enough to generate enough savings to warrant the base membership. If you've got an office of people that you provide snacks for it'd probably help alot and be better. I probably only spend around $100 a month at Costco.

Or if you're a Mega Goon and spend $3000 a year on Cheez-Its and Famous Amos cookies.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

poisonpill posted:

Heathens have overrun the temple. The parking lot is 100% full and there are scores of cars circling. The interior is a madhouse.

I see you're visiting my costco at literally any time of day during any time of the year. Welcome.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

I got a parking spot at the Tustin 'Co at 1oclock with only a 5 minute stakeout. Got a sherpa, pumpkin pie, dinner rolls and some artiseno bread.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

RJWaters2 posted:

Headin to Costco y'all need anything

I don't need it but I want some korean bbq pork jerky.

I've got the dehydrator out this time of year making my own jerky. Normally use a London Broil cut of meat but I've always read that Eye of Round is best but its usually hard to get nice pieces at the local grocer. I think a trip to the 'Co might be in order.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

This is fine so long as you visit the 'tCo for other things but you'll be missing out on that drink (with free refill).

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

What kind of magic chicken do you buy for 6 a pound elsewhere?

The last time I went to Costco on my lunch break I walked out empty handed. I wanted to see some beef or meat that'd inspire me to make something new but I can't pay double what I'd pay at a grocery store. I had a platter of Christmas cookies for the office but decided against it, we've gotten more stuff from clients than we know what to do with as is.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Y'all ever been to a Costco.... Business Center? It's like jerking off with your left hand or something out of the twilight zone.

Everything I just a bit different, lots of stuff is missing but also lots of stuff regular Costco doesn't have. No food court, no clothing, no bakery or butcher. They do have whole 40lb lambs or goats though.

It was dead quiet in there, no line and only 2 registers open anyways.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Got out of the Tustin 'Co. Not too busy but I wasn't in the market for meat. I did walk passed those frenched cut beef tomahawk chops that looked amazing but were like $40 each.

Got some pumpkin streusel muffins, gift cards, and french baggettes for dip. Already ate a muffin it was dank.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

ixo posted:

just went to a costco business center for the first time

this is their refrigerated section. gently caress

cons: no dogs and 'fills , no consumer electronics, no clothes

pros: I can buy a whole goat

Also of note in this picture: there aren't 100 people in there each with their own cart, half of them abandoned in the middle of the aisles.

This was how my CBC was as well. No music in my store, it was dead quiet.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

We split our sacrament today. My girlfriend is a garbage person though.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

I will redeem myself by bringing all the carts back to their home.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

MisterOblivious posted:

The wonders never cease.

This is the good poo poo. I hate when I forget to put it back in the fridge and gets soupy and separates.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Pretty sure my Costco has milk in regular jugs, sold in 2 packs in cardboard. I've never seen the flat top design.

Making greek yogurt with a gallon of nonfat milk is awesome, doesn't take too much effort but does eat up alot of fridge space. Heating/cooling in instant pot takes like an hour, 7 hours in instant pot doing its thing, 8 hours in fridge cooling, few hours straining in fridge. Its way cheaper than buying greek yogurt on its own and with some protein powder mixed in its tasty too.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

I buy the cheapest, shittiest milk I can get my grubby hands on since I mix it with protein powders made of powdered dog turds or temper it before making it yogurt anyways. Don't really drink milk on its own.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Between Aldi and Costco it doesn't cost us more than we can afford to eat organic.

I'm imagining a dril-like scenario where people are going in debt because they keep buying organic. I'd hope a double doctor could afford to do whatever they want.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

I'm all for reducing the number of ingredients on the back of the label. Organic peanut butter being "just peanuts and salt" is alot better than the skippy poo poo with hydrogenated oil and sugar in it. Organic honey or maple syrup means getting real stuff instead of HFCS flavored stuff. Great.

Milk for the most part is just milk. Organic or not. In fact the Kirkland organic milk adds fish oil to it, which good for you or not might make it less organic than regular milk.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

There are still places that you can go for less than $15 for AYCE kbbq but in my experience the quality of meat is just much better at Gen and its worth the extra $5. Plus most Gens have better service and sucks the smoke from the bottom of the grill instead of a hood so you don't leave the place smelling like a bonfire. Plus Gen has like 50 menu items compared to other places having less than 10.

$5/lb is about what you'd expect to pay for beef bulgogi (ribeye cuts). Arirang on Gilbert & Garden Grove sells their beef at that price. Chicken is 2.29 and pork is 2.79. Costco probably has better quality though.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

What better way to nourish your family and friends during a super bowl party than with the highest calorie/dollar ratio item in the store that also doesn't require a single second of effort to make?

I'm going to the goon that has been buying the $40 of brisket and experimenting with his smoker. Thats my kind of party.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mo_Steel posted:

Sold in packs of 36 seats.

Cool the Mariners might finally sell out some games.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Whats this? A sample of a tortilla chip and bit of salsa that I have zero intention of buying and already know exactly what its going to taste like? Better leave my cart sideways across the entire aisle while I wait for a sample.

Except theres 100 people doing this throughout the 10 sample tables they have.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

My cashier said "hi how are you", I replied "Good, you?". She replied "good".

The perfect conversation.

The receipt checker took an alarming amount of time to count the two items I bought. It was nonfat milk and ground turkey.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

FCKGW posted:

Corona is just 10 more miles down the road and has the rare Costco Burg'

The 10 miles between Yorba Linda and Corona might just be the longest 10 miles in all of Southern California though.

I don't know what the Tustin Costco has at the food court because I don't eat that stuff. I had half a hotdog once and it was pretty good but still just a hot dog.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

The thought of a goon buying a hotdog and soda to walk around a grocery store with or to eat in their car in the parking lot cracks me up but shouldn't surprise me.

Hot dogs are great to enjoy at the ballpark or in your backyard on a nice day.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Got a 2 pack of organic peanut butter and had to reach up into a pallet since there wasn't any on the floor stack for some reason, just the jiffy junk. Also got a new thing of the California made organic honey. Passed up a box of kodiak pancake/waffle mix but thought about it. I want a waffle maker but never have time for breakfast at home in the morning.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

binge crotching posted:

How can you pass up the Manuka honey that was on coupon? Tastes amazing, and it was only like $2 more for a giant tub.

I don't think I've seen this at any of the costcos I've been to. The one I got was like 48oz for $12 I think.

GI_Clutch posted:

Here's what you do. Buy a waffle maker. Buy a big ol' box of pancake mix and the Kirkland dried blueberries. Mix up a batch of batter using the waffle instructions. Pour it into the waffle maker and then sprinkle on the dried blueberries. Eat a couple of the waffles. Freeze the rest of them. I like to individually wrap them in the Ziplock sandwich bags (which I bought on sale at Costco, of course). Then when you want a waffle in the future, pop it into the microwave for thirty seconds to thaw it out. Optionally, throw it into the toaster briefly after microwaving to make it crisp again (the microwave makes it soft, but going straight to the toaster gets you a burnt outside and frozen inside). Then top it with whatever you want. The Kirkland PB, strawberry or raspberry spreads, or syrup are all good choices.

I do this like once a month and then I have waffles to chow down on every weekend before going cycling all afternoon.

I make PB+Honey sandwiches to take on my rides but just use bread. Artesano wheat or some other kind of whole wheat bread. I fold the bread in half and put 2-3 slices worth in a ziploc. The Kodiak mix is great for pancakes though, but I think the last box lasted me a year because I ride every Sat/Sun and then don't need to be eating a ton of carbs M-F and usually do an omelette with loaded veggies.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

That thing is closer to a cot than a hammock. A hammock will flex and cradle your body and is supported by one anchor point on either side so it swings. This has [semi]-rigid supports on either end and you're not going to sink into it like a traditional string hammock. You might as well buy a lounge chair.

This is a portable hammock: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Rutibex posted:

at Costco university you can get 6 graduate degrees for the price of 4

More like 6 for the price of 6 when other stores have buy one get one free deals.

I got some ground turkey, artesano wheat bread and some sunscreen. Also ordered some canvas prints online that should arrive next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Why does Costco sell the Halo Top ice cream in a 4 pack but only in the Peanut Butter Cup flavor? Why not a mix of 4 different flavors??? It is a better price per pint than grocery stores but it'd be nice to have some variety.