Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Anyone else kind of get eyerolly with costco's more recent focus on high end organic stuff? They're known for buying stuff in bulk for cheap but honestly it's pretty easy to find better deals at winco on food. I still think costco is a cool place that treats their employees right but if I wanna buy frozen bags of veggies i don't need them to be artisanal organic blends. Nowadays I feel like I only hit costco for stuff like tp, paper towels, and random large packs of drinks on sale that month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ScrubLeague posted:

I shop at Sam's Club and Win-Co Foods.

Kind of an odd combination cause winco is a good company and sam's club is owned by walmart.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

is that for one person cause that's like 15k calories assuming a diet drink

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
double

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

EvilJoven posted:

I don't think that's 15k kcal but it's definitely not something you'd want to eat unless you're doing something like eating light thinking your day isn't going to be very active and then getting invited on a last minute 50km bike ride.

Also biking to Costco is fun and healthy I should do that tomorrow we're apparently out of chicken strips.

Sorry i meant 1.5, they have cals posted on menu hotdog is like 450, pizza is like 650, churro is like 300, if that's real soda its almost a days worth of food total.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Thoughts on cash and carry?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Tiny Lowtax posted:

My Costco has the calorie count next to the food items so I never get anything because it would make me feel like garbage
Their pizza is ridiculous but the dog itself is actually p reasonable unless you're getting it with other stuff, I think my local one claims it's 520, maybe add a bit more for the onions you should be putting on but a p reasonable lunch all things considered.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Am I the only one who wishes costco just cut out the whole snake oil organic poo poo, like you can't even buy canned or frozen veggies at mine without them being organic, and that makes em more expensive than even p normal grocery stores.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Prude posted:

i'm what you might call a "produce expert" and it is my expert opinion that sometimes organic products are actually... better!!!! :eek:

They have more product recalls for health issues and you can't really tell the difference in blind taste tests for similar products. Sometimes high quality stuff is also coincidentally organic but the stuff you have to legally do to get the label itself have very little to do with that. Often in fact, the stuff they use for pest control etc is actively less safe than their non-organic counterparts and that's why you see such a spike in recalls.

Being against modern agriculture technology is like being anti vaxx, sure there are issues with the industry itself so if you wanna stroll on down to your local farmers market and buy stuff there cause you hate monsanto then sure w/e, but organic or not has nothin to do with that.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Relevant Tangent posted:

"This is fake news" he squealed as he waddled past the organic vegetables to his precious cheetos.
I just shop at winco instead but yeah, maybe you believe in chemtrails too idunno.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

its the ninja one

I got a ninja for my birthday once, they're p good but I find their smoothies aren't really fine enough. I mostly use mine when I'm baking stuff, they do a surprisingly good job at stuff like cutting in butter.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

maniacripper posted:

Half of Florida still believes poo poo like this http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/halal.asp

i like the part where they have to be playing Allah Akbar on loop in a slaughterhouse.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
This weekend i got some blue cheese, big ol bag o spinach, their on sale non-fat plain greek yogurt (tbh I prefer /w fat but that wasn't an option and I just use it for smoothies anyways), and eggs.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Teikanmi posted:

I mean the bun is probably 100 calories

lettuce and tomato are nothing

sauce is like 40 calories

cheese is like 40 calories

So is the patty 950 calories??

That would be p hard unless it was just a 1/3rd pound of burger shaped lard. Maybe they give you a big ol cup of ranch fry sauce with it and just think you'll use the whole thing.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Spoondick posted:

you can also use the pharmacy, get eye exams or prescription glasses and in california at least buy alcohol without a membership

Interesting, never tried that before but it makes sense, hot food, pharmacy, optometry, all of those require separate licenses and so does alcohol in most states. Odds are it's a kind of situation where you can't get the license without being willing to serve any legal customer.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
he's right for some things and wrong for others. I find costco to be generally more expensive than winco for:

fruit
vegetables
poultry
pork
cheaper cuts of beef

costco is better on:

paper products
dairy
expensive beef
seafood
packaged foods/snacks

Since I eat mostly fresh stuff and prefer poultry/pork to beef I find myself only ever using my gf's costco membership for cheese, milk, and paper products.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Not disagreeing but it's a lot easier for me to go to one place and reap some INSANE savings ++++ a big honking dog and then pay regular prices or even slightly over then to worry about sales and random grocery stores.

I really only go to those two stores and winco is off a major street I drive down everyday. I was just stating that i sometimes feel like the prices in general are overhyped at costco, they do got some great deals and even if I don't even need much I tend to go like once a week and just wander around with the gf but they honestly aren't the cheapest place around for buying everyday groceries.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Grem posted:

Are you factoring in the cash back I get on my loving Costco Visa card in your stupid calculations for idiots?

yeah I would say stuff even not on sale in those categories is 10-20% cheaper by pound. Tho costco tends to vary less by season.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Meydey posted:

Costco essentially provides consistent pricing on bulk sized quantities of product. Some are higher than a general grocery store, and some come in lower. Where Costco shines is the fact that 99% of the items are a known quality, with less mystery brands (store/cheap). Kirkland Signature is considered one of the highest quality store brands, and multiple products have been verified to have been produced by known brand names. Add in the unconditional 100% return policy (minus electronics, but at at 90 days is still better than most retail) and the value is there. Yes you drop $200-400 each trip easily, but at least the stuff you get is quality.

Plus a dog on the way out.

Also I feel like costco expiration dates are always p far out on their packaged stuff which is nice when it comes to dairy in particular.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

meet girls at the store posted:

Just lol if your cart doesn't look like this by the time you're ready to leave

this is p much everything wrong with costco in an image and why I tend to get most of my food food at winco. Living out of a freezer is just shameful.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Anton Chigurh posted:

Not really cool at all because it kept prices high and made it a lot more trouble to buy. Now a lot of booze is cheaper and can be found in many more places. It's a win-win, really.

booze got way more expensive cause the prices basically stayed the same but now there's a huge extra tax slapped on at the counter, it's admittedly a bit more convenient to not have to go to state run stores (that usually closed p early) but booze is prolly 20-30% more expensive now.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

binge crotching posted:

Some people hate it because the taxes are higher now too, but overall it's cheaper. The taxes do suck though.

I don't get how anyone says this, maybe the state store I hit up was special or something but the sticker price of a 5th stayed about the same before/after except now you get to pay an extra huge rear end flat volume tax on top of that. Particularly for 5ths that were like 10-20 bucks before the change they got way more expensive after.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I knew that was going to happen. I liked the state run stores because everywhere you go you can expect roughly the same price. Everyone always says "well now there will be competition and everything will get cheaper!!!" That is almost never the case anymore. Taxes or not the prices may drop at first to get people in the door but they will steadily climb like literally everything. Especially when an entire industry gets together.

It was so frustrating, it's like everybody turned into a libertarian for the one stupid bill. Free market competition will drive down the price! Privatizing is always the solution! *pays 25 dollars for 5th that was 20 just a week ago*, I sure do love capitalism.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Spoondick posted:

i use both, problem solved... my instant pot is pretty much a bean cooker these days
I got one of the 25 pound bags o pinto beans from costco and use the instant pot to cook em all the time. Protip, pressure cook up some fresh stock in the pot, then pressure cook the beans in the stock, never go back to canned.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I feel like their relish is too sweet, onions + mustard is choice tho.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
You do you boo, food is all about what you enjoy I was just saying personally I don't like it on my dogs for the same reason I'm not a fan of ketchup, it's just too sweet. I'd totally be down for a pickle grinder by the onion one tho.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I'm the fat hispanic family that parks their carts right next to each free sample section, blocking the entire aisle while my 3 fats kids wait several minutes for the next snack to get cooked and cut up so they can take them all.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I dunno if I've ever gotten a sample from the frozen section, there is without fail fat family sitting on top of it and just taking the whole tray whenever they come out.

I do get enjoy the samples in their fresh section/ones where they have like whole grain toast or w/e.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Costco really should find a way to get me a dog combo while I'm filling up at the pump.

They should use those pneumatic tubes banks used to when checks were still all the rage. Just order a dog while payin at the pump and *shhoop* a hotdog shoots through the tube in a capsule, you take out your wrapped dog with condiment packets and put the empty capsule back in.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

smoobles posted:

Costco has good stuff but as a 2-person household the only things we can get are toilet paper and frozen pizza, any meat or produce is like 10 pounds or more and would have to be frozen or we'd get sick of it.

$5 rotisserie chickens tho, god drat.

It's good for throwing parties, they have local beers in bulk (Sam's Club has gently caress off Anheiser brands) and lots of party foods.

Dairy

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

smoobles posted:

2 people going through a gallon of milk is kinda difficult unless those 2 people are a bit gross, not judging

Maybe if you're lactose intolerant. Even beyond that the cheese and yogurt are all reasonably portioned.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I just drink milk instead of soda/juice when I want something other than water or tea.

All that vitamin D is nice too cause I never go outside.

e: also they had 2 big ol boxes of cheerios for like 4 bucks so that's a good use for milk.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I go to the 'co weekly but I'm in a weird situation where I get off work at 3pm and one is a five minute detour on my way home. If I had to go when everyone else does and it took more than five minutes to drive to I'd go way less.

My gf lives practically nextdoor to a costco so we go once a week just to walk around the aisles even if we don't need anything. We'll be that couple checking out with like a single bag of spinach.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is there anything that's particularly good snack/treat that would be good to bring to work and share? I've already done cosmos popcorn, those chocolate caramel pretzel things, and the deli cookies...

Get one of those things of massive greek olives stuffed with jalapeno and garlic, delicious but everyone will have awful breath.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Cyborganizer posted:

Went to Costco to pick up a single $0.18 4x6 photo print, walked out spending $160 on various fresh fruits, a fancy outdoor Bluetooth speaker with LED lights, frozen Normandy veg blend, a cooler bag to keep the veg in, and a mocha freeze. This seems to happen a lot to me.

Don't buy fresh fruit at costco. There are some exceptions but for the most part it's not a good deal.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Been grilling all week with brats we got for 2.50 a pound, I finished off all my cottage cheese and milk so it's about time for a trip tomorrow to restock my dairy. Could use some more olives too.

E: Oh yeah also we were prolly gonna watch wonder woman this weekend so we'll snag one of those double packs of tickets for a local theater. Those things are so nice, cheaper than even matinee pricing makes going out to movies much more reasonable.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 2, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Taima posted:

Also, the salmon and tuna are good quality and if you choose your packages wisely, they both provide sushi/sashimi-quality meat for a fraction of the normal price.
P sure fish sold to be eaten raw has undergone special processing and handling to insure you won't get sick. I wouldn't advocate not cooking regular grocery store
stuff, even from a place as respectable as Costco.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 4, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah that's not a thing. Go crazy with that Costco salmon

Around here stuff has to be explicitly labeled for raw consumption if it's sold for that but don't let big gov stop you from playing intestinal roulette.

E: like there is specifically sushi/sashimi grade, Google if ya don't believe me.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

SuperSlacker posted:

I like costco for the free samples. are those still a thing?
They're still a thing but depending on where the samples are located they might as well not be. So like if you wanna try out their new pita chips or healthier snack bars then sure you got options but if they're in the frozen section cookin up some fried and processed stuff you'd be too ashamed to get a full box of goodluck cause there will inevitably be fat families blocking the whole aisle while they camp out waiting for the next batch so they can immediately take the entire tray for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

The North Tower posted:

Usually a dog fills me up. This is a lot of food for me but I'm going to do it to feel good and cool.

Nah it totally works, gf and I each get a dog and split a slice usually, the slices are so hefty I wish they sold em in half to begin with. As far as junkfood goes, the dog, half a slice, and a diet soda/water doesn't have much nutritional value but it's an acceptable meal calorically.