Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Doodles posted:

Those potatoes are really nice. If they're he same one I've had in the past, there should be two packs so you can save half of them for another meal.

Shake a little Lawry's Seasoned Salt on them and OMNOMNOMNOM :dance:

Can't you just buy a bag of tri color mini potatoes in most grocery stores? Stuff like scalloped potatoes I can understand getting a frozen variant of cause they can take a lot of time to prep, particularly if you don't have a food processor, but whole roasted baby potatoes the steps are oil -> season -> bake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

GORDON posted:

I almost never commit to a Costco-scale-large quantity of a new food product, without having some knowledge about it.

More than once I have purchased a new item based on a sampling.

I'm relatively fine with sampling niche stuff but when they're just handing out tyson chicken nuggets that attract the largest (numerically and physically) families to clog the entire section it is annoying.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Has, "Gourmet", "Organic" and "No :siren:artificial:siren: preservatives" on it, hard pass even if it's a good product that kind of marketing is legit harmful. Gluten free for an extra bonus there as if tomatoes have gluten in the first place. Coulda emphasized gmo free for that yuppie bingo.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Boba Pearl posted:

I adore costco pizza from the food court, I prefer it to pretty much any of the lovely chains, little Cesars, dominoes, pizza hut, and I like it better then some of the fancier joints around here as well.

That’s uh, definitely a factor of marketing and not taste yeah.

Costco pizza ain’t bad for its price point and the convenience of being able to buy a slice after a trip around the store is perfect, but basically all the pizza chains are either better or cheaper. Costco pizza tastes like high level take and bake but with the nutritional quality of a deep fried pizza.

I have had it on several occasions and never once considered buying a pie to take home cause it’s not good enough for that. One slice is the limit.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

david_a posted:

Did CostCo stop requiring masks or is mine just doing a crap job enforcing it? Lots of people without masks tonight.

Maybe people are succesfully utilizing that same vague rules about not asking for proof of disabilities the assholes who take their support poorly trained dogs into stores do?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Turkey bacon is worthless tho.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Washout posted:

Costco turkey bacon gets surprisingly crispy and is legit good.

"surprisingly" crispy is still bad when you could just get normal bacon and it's "what I'd expect" and tasty.

Turkey bacon sucks, I say that as a guy who eats a ton of poultry, today's lunch/dinner was some slow cooked turkey breast. Tomorrow I'm making stew from the bones. If you need turkey bacon for health reasons just hold off on the bacon until you get your poo poo in order, and eat the good stuff sparingly when you can.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Got some of the costco wildcaught sockeye fillets and also their farm raised trouts. Also got a 30 pound bag of pellets for my smoker, did lots of smoked fish this weekend.

This was about 2 pounds, got absolutely demolished by the other half, 1 fillet was gone within 10 minutes.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 6, 2020

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Did you buy a cheese flight to eat at home by yourself/with immediate family cause that's one hell of a powermove.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

you wouldn't figure it but costco produce is actually pretty amazingly fresh, it often stays usable for weeks, I feel like it's easily 2-3x as long as produce from other places

I guess maybe it's attributable to their turnover? like, they sell enough of it that it's not been sitting in the back for a week before it goes out

I'd deffo say it's mixed, as someone who doesn't regularly live out of the freezer or use an air fryer because I do enjoy vegetables I tend to find costco produce is often a bit too on the chilled and very unripe side of things. There's very few fresh produce things I regularly buy at costco, it's basically just mushrooms and brusselsprouts. Everything else is either more expensive than going to literally any other grocery store, or simply worse quality. I am not the only one in my area that feels this way, it is known that the costco melons and pineapples are particularly bad for example, so it's possible it's just where they source things here, and ymmv in other costcos.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ShowTime posted:

Hint water is back at Costco (or at least at mine). It's even on sale. Highly recommend it. It's some of the purest, tastiest water i've ever had. True to it's namesake, you get just a hint of the flavor, but the water itself tastes like that good good Fiji water. I'm planning on stocking up as much as I can.

water is always in stock from my sink?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ShowTime posted:

Must be nice. Water from my sink is polluted with toxins from a local company. It also doesn't come with a slight taste of Blackberry or Watermelon.

Oh, toxins, my word.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

anyone try one of these? queso oxaca can vary pretty wildly in quality.

I’ve gotten it a time or two, it’s not bad but nothing special either. I wouldn’t use it to impress guests any more than I’d use the Kirkland cheddar but for the price it’s great.

For the most part I don’t think you can go wrong with Costco cheese, at any range of quality it’s gonna be a better deal than you can get outside of some pretty niche sales.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

The grey Kirkland cougar coffee. It’s great.

From my pantry:

They have this in cold brew and it’s loving amazing and if they ever stop stocking it I will be pissed.

Got 12 cans for like 13 or so, they’re a bit bigger than your typical cold brew can, strong (235 mg caffeine), and best of all, literally just water and coffee. Tastes fantastic and was like a miracle cause I had been wondering lately why there wasn’t a good cheap canned cold brew brand, it’s all expensive and loaded with cream and or sugar.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

GORDON posted:

It kind of is. Wash the carafe and grounds every day, refill water, prepare new grounds.

K-cups are super lazy and environmentally unsound, but wow they seem so much more convenient.

I can understand going with the simple approach to coffee cause I don't mind cheap stale stuff, but why would you get the pods which are much more expensive if you're gonna go this route.

I will drink yuban or w/e at home, work, idgaf it all tastes okay enough it's fine. I can appreciate good coffee and occasionally go out to a local cafe with the mrs as a cheap getting out of the house date (not since covid obv) but the cups I just don't get at all. It feels like the "comrpromise" that only exists in the heads of people who won't drink folgers for image issues. It doesn't matter how good the coffee was before it got put into one of those pods, by the time it's been ground, sat on a warehouse shelf, shipped, sat on a grocery store shelf, bought, sat on your shelf, it's just as lovely as the cheapest ground coffee you can buy.

I do drink pods at work cause they're free, but regardless of the brand they are mediocre and sometimes when even in a small office multiple people are jonesin for a cup it sucks that it's not just a pot of coffee.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Golden Corral Massacre posted:

So the $100 ham is just a gimmick that everyone is pretending to like.
I have a friend who snags one when it’s half off then has a lazy dinner party to try and smash through it so I’ve eaten it a couple times.

I have not paid money for the ham myself or been given one to review so I can say this completely unbiased - the ham is awesome and I pity anyone who would not enjoy it outside of like moral/religious reasons. If it’s mediocre or even bad to you that is very sad.

As someone else said yeah it isn’t gonna taste like a honey glazed Christmas ham but it’s not supposed to.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I learned to do basic cooking because I was poor and got into cooking as a hobby later on because it was rewarding but no Costco frozen dinners and entrees are not budget friendly and it’s weird to give that as an excuse to anything other than “why middle class Americans are fat”

There are high calorie cheap foods like ramen, I’m not gonna pretend that doesn’t exist in the store but the naan and such people mention in this thread is not it and the whole joke about spending 200 every time you come to buy a pack of paper towels really drives that home. We’ve all seen the cart pictures itt and they’re not “poverty staples” they’re “too busy posting on SA to cook a dinner staples”.

Even for “cheap” stuff Costco has gone further into the organic/quality over quantity zone, Other than dairy I can’t think of anything I’d find there I can’t find cheaper regularly. Their onions/potatoes/carrots are more expensive than anywhere I shop for example and their canned/dry food tends to be pricier per pound despite the volume.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I’ve gotten pineapples from Costco twice and they both super sucked. We asked friends that enjoy pineapple in the area and they also agreed that their attempts at Costco pineapple were exceptionally bad and they’d never get it again.

I’ve generally found fresh produce at Costco to be overpriced but I’ve never found it to be bad, pineapples are the only exception. Their watermelon was pretty mediocre too I guess but it was at least cheap.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I kinda of wonder if anyone buying cauliflower rice has ever touched a head of cauliflower before cause man that poo poo falls apart so easy the idea of pre-mincing it seems about as necessary as pre crumbled chips. You don't even need a knife, minced cauliflower is what happens when you're not careful enough with it.

Actually writing that out I wouldn't even be surprised if that was the origin, after the sliced and diced stuff you find in frozen packs of vegetables they sweep down the shoots and package "cauliflower rice".

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 12, 2020

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

poisonpill posted:

Do a stock up of staple food: rice, flour, sugar, coffee, pretty much anything you’d take on the Oregon Trail. Frozen veggies: Normandy blend, broccoli. You’re insane if you don’t buy all your meat from Costco: get a six pack of chicken, and a hundred dollar beef loin and freeze it all. Pretty good prices for pharmacy/toiletries
This is all absolutely terrible advice if you’re trying to shop on a budget. Costco stuff is in bulk but it’s also usually more expensive per pound than the same at of a decent grocery store even when sold in smaller portions.

What Costco does well is sell you premium items in bulk cheaper than you could get elsewhere. With some stuff where the label makes a big difference this is a good deal, with others it’s not at all. As an easy example getting chicken or pork at Costco is dumb outside of good sales, but getting a bulk pack of prime steaks is gonna be cheaper.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Uncle Lizard posted:

This is not true, at least not in my area. Everything that Fred Meyer (Kroger) or Walmart carries that Costco also carries is always cheaper at Costco, by unit. Safeway is the most expensive of everyone. Costco just doesn't have the selection that regular grocery stores have.

Safeway and Fred Meyer and such is a poor comparison because those sorts of stores are basically only good to shop at on weekly fliers. You can easily get chicken at Safeway for 50% less than Costco on their coupon price but you gotta check out the weekly sales ad for that which I understand some people don’t wanna waste the time on doing.

Something like winco or presumably aldi’s though, it’s literally always just cheaper. I can assure you as a person who both shops aggressively for deals and can juggle numbers in my head easily, Costco is for the most part more expensive even by weight despite buying in bulk because it goes for more premium quality, organic labels etc.

I’m not saying that’s a bad trade necessarily, you get onions or such at Costco and they will last longer than cheap grocery stores, but they’re also literally 2x as expensive.

About the only thing I’ve consistently found to be cheaper at Costco in terms of fresh food is dairy and expensive protein (prime cuts of beef, fish, along those lines).

Now if you live out of boxed/frozen foods yeah it’s a utopia.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I literally just bought chicken breast from a yokes here (which is a p spendy place like Whole Foods unless you specifically shop their weekly flier) and it was on sale this week for 1.69. It’s not on sale every week no, but inevitably some part of the chicken is, last week it was thighs for 99/lb.

Before the plague I frequently hit a cycle of yokes/albertsons(basically Safeway)/winco based on weekly ads cause they were all on my way home from work and MrsC and I would swing by Costco once or twice a month because it’s 5 minutes away.

We’d be the people who’d show up to checkout with like 5 items because there simply wasn’t much leftover to buy. Costco produce even when it’s on sale was just generally more expensive, and while I’ll give you it lasts longer that wasn’t an issue for us.

For reference the things we regularly buy at Costco (and these alone still make the membership worth it, though less so now that we minimize shopping)

Paper products
Mushrooms
Cheese
Fish
Yogurt

And of course, the 1.50 hotdog and drink.

With how close we live even gas probably pays for the membership I’m not knocking it I’m just saying that for the most part it’s more about premium things at a reasonable price than it is about everyday good value. There’s a reason people itt joke about going to pick up a couple things and rolling out with a cart over 300 bucks.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Last I checked the 25 bag of pintos at Costco was 14.99, or like .60/lb which is a confusingly not good deal. Bulk bins at winco are like 0.4X for however much you want and even just the 2 pound bags or whatever tend to be less than 1.20.

I mean 60 cents a pound isn’t a bad deal for pintos but you’d think buying a giant 25lb sack would carry a little more savings.

Their rice is a good deal though.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 10, 2021

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Fartington Butts posted:

Every TJ's I've been to always has aisles that are way too loving small and even during non-pandemic times I hate going there.

Although my local TJ's is right next to Costco so the choice is easy in that case.

I'd deff go for some TJ's orange chicken now, though.

Imagine if costco children got shopper in training carts.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Convection ovens are so uncommon here even people who think they have them are often wrong, they just have a normal oven that also has a fan, which is still a step up but not true convective cooking. True convection, sometimes referred to as "european convection" but really should just be called "actual convection" has the heat come in with the fan, and the oven itself doesn't use any elements for cooking outside broiling. This actually makes for a pretty drastic difference in how foods cook so it's worth looking for if you're shopping.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

Every time I walk by that giant fudge brownie I pick it up just to marvel at how heavy it is. I have absolutely no interest in buying it, but it is so loving dense

I dunno if randomly touching things you have no intent of buying is the smart move in a popular store in the middle of a pandemic.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

medchem posted:

My wife makes amazing brownies using the cocoa powder from Costco. They're super rich and dark chocolatey and not very sweet.

Unless you’re calling brownie mix cocoa powder it shouldn’t be sweet in the first place. Chocolate for baking is an entirely different beast than chocolate for eating.

If it’s plain powder for baking then that just means your wife has a good recipe!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was wondering where mine was but I checked my spam folder a few days ago and found it. I'm getting $497.70 back. :smug: Is it possible for them to make out a check to you? I don't want cash and I'm not going to spend $500 at Costco anytime soon.
Considering you'd have to spend *checks notes* neaarly 25k at costco to get that much back it's pretty safe to assume you will in fact spend 500 there sometime soon. On average you spend 2 grand a month at costco.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I haven't traveled, and I don't buy gas since I own EVs. That's all from feeding & mostly clothing my family.

jesus christ nearly 34k. Any higher and you'd be at 3 grand a month!

Its 2% right, so 2 bucks back every 100 you spend? Someone tell me my math is wrong.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It's more like $15k from my Costco-only purchases. Look at that pathetic $62.50 spent in gas stations, that's from concessions. Maybe some day gas stations in USA will offer DC fast charging.

Oh that's the costco tie-in credit card not just the executive membership bonus that makes substantially more sense, though still 1k+/mo at costco is quite impressive.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

speaking of shame, costco sent out a recall notice on kirkland gin this afternoon. I of course returned my half drank bottle, the lady at the return counter was NOT happy and didn't believe me, she went away to pound buttons on their computer for ten minutes while another customer heckled me, then finally grudgingly accepted the return. A+ customer experience.

I went back to see if I could get another and they had pulled all of it off the shelf, so evidently someone at the store had heard of the recall
I would like to hear more about this other customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

im sure this has been touched upon in these 800 something pages

but as much as I love the costco hotdog with onions and mustard holy jesus god drat does your whole mouth taste like that loving hotdog for the rest of the day

I've even brushed my teeth 30 minutes after eating one and it didn't help, the hotdog aftertaste kicked the toothpaste's rear end

That's part of the value