Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just saw this article about Costco "influencers" and groaned. I'm catching up on this thread from years back still but didn't see a link in the last few pages:

https://jezebel.com/the-uncanny-fluorescent-world-of-the-costco-influencer-1846775539

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Well it is gonna be a while before I catch up to the 'dine thread, so apologies if this was answered over there:

Does Costco still sell any sardines that have bones and skin? I only see the Season boneless at my church. If anybidy else sees them I'll ask a manager to pick them up here too

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

MODS!

Also for some reason my Kroger sells KOs for reasonable amounts, so I'm good on that, I was looking just for a generic one to dump on hot food that's not trash quality, and if I didn't like skin, fins and bones I'd eat tuna instead :coolfish:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Fartington Butts posted:

I could have sworn I’ve seen Wild Planet there, but if I did it was a while ago.

The sardine thread said this was true as of 2016, but alas no longer.

I would eat cottage cheese with 505. And pineapple. At the same time! But not that Daisy trash. Their "sour cream" isn't even soured cream, it's just milk with thickeners and homogenizers. Garbage!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh yeah buddy let's talk sour cream... and how it's just a lovely version of yogurt or creme fraiche or crema or skyr. Just buy Fage or whatever. Any situation that called for sour cream can be improved immensely by getting a cultured product that's not developed in suburban USAnia. :smug:

On a different note I bought a Costco-sized thing of peanut butter filled pretzels and have been giggling at the fact that they're filled with real "Virginia Peanut Butter" like oh thank GOD this nut butter is from one of the thirteen original colonies. They are delicious when you eat one at a time paired with one (1) fresh raspberry though

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Daisy is one of the few branded sour creams that is literally 'soured cream'. Whatever you feel about the taste, sure, fine, but cmon now.

Huh, weird. I must have been looking at a store brand and been confused. It does taste bad though. Kroger carries sour cream and "real" sour cream right next to each other which is terrible and sad also

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hmm. Maybe it is a regional thing? I'm going to the store tomorrow and will research

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this post packs an amazing amount of self-own into 2 paragraphs

Sorry I didn't like your hotdish after service this week. I just think that Daisy products should be reserved for people who think mayonnaise is spicy

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
When I went yesterday they were only selling the Good Culture singles in multiples of 3 cartons, which is beyond the pale no matter how much one person can love cottage cheese

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Spicewalla Fried Chicken Spice from Ashland, NC

This is what I coat my hardboiled lunch eggs in, with a dash of hot sauce. They marinate in my lunch pail and end up awesome.

Also let me extoll the virtues of Foppen smoked salmon slices -- they're a couple dollars more expensive then the other brand, but they're fire and also somehow really friendly to the calorie counting I just started. Throw the lovely packet of honey mustard sauce in the garbage and put a lot of salmon on toast with cream cheese (or one wedge of the Laughing Cow light swiss for me). It's been post-work snack heaven

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

I think I'll be going to costco tomorrow (or another day this week anyway).

What section would I find the hatch 505 in?

And I'm gonna get some of these too, Foppen smoked salmon slices, but I assume they will probably be in the refrigerated deli meats area.

They sure are. The 505 is in with the salsa/hot sauce/canned goods aisle

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I needed to use up the last of the big jar of minced garlic so tonight I made ratatouille on roasted potatoes. For two people I ended up using two thirds of a cup of garlic. It was glorious

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hell yeah!

When I went this week I noticed they stock D.O.P. San Marzano tomatoes so I picked up a three pack. Then I dropped it on the way onto the house. So I've been eating tomato versions of everything. Tomato pho, tomato eggs, tomato enchiladas. I think it's actually improved every dish too. PBUC

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just got back from church to price earbuds and pick up bell peppers and spent 200 buckaroonies. And did not get earbuds. But I did get a QPPABHDW20ODAFR, and relish is back on the menu here (no onions yet)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I picked up a couple bottles here in Kentucky, like 30 minutes from where it's made, and regretted not buying a ton more. Barton has some real misses and the entire 1792 line is trash in my opinion, but Kirkland is super delicious. The single barrel is even better if it's not all snapped up immediately like it is here.

Both have a green apple note that I associate with Barton and some high-rye bourbons and it works great for the 'sco.

They do still have Old Grand-Dad 114 for 26 bucks a bottle which is an insane value

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh and the gin is back and not hideous!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

It's $24 + tax at my local Total Wine. Is Costco a liter or something?

Seems like that's almost what I paid for it ~20 years ago back when I thought "high proof = better value"...back when we were buying liters of Schmirnoff 100 instead of 2 750's of 80 proof.

Sorry I didn't mean it was the cheapest price ever, just that it's a great bourbon for the price. It's what I got instead of Kirkland BIB since they were out

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Kirkland Signature rye whiskey when

Kirkland Signature American AND Canadian Rye whiskeys now!

e: to clarify that is when I want them but they don't exist

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

ive never seen this. post a pic

Costco sashimi and makizushi:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The shrimp I bought was Thai, which for sure isn't the most ethical...

E: misremembered and it's Vietnamese. Not much better

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 26, 2021

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mormon Nailer posted:

If it's the soft Charmin, just be prepared to be linty forever.

Went to church for worship today and got a rotisserie chicken for my partner and a fuckload of those tiny cucumbers for me because I'm going to make refrigerator pickles with them. Also grabbed another pack of toilet paper and paper towels for the shelter.

They have fifty pound bags of flour and sugar back in stock but I'm good for a minute. Did also purchase the Kirkland vodka because while it tastes bad on its own, it makes good vanilla extract if you don't have the bourbon, and they did not. Not even the Kirkland brand. Just, no bourbon at all.

Where on earth is out of bourbon?

Also, I tried to make a bunch of actual fermented pickles out of the mini cukes and got a super musty aftertaste. Is that a product of not washing enough or just poor methods?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

norp posted:

Pretty sure there's some tricks to get them crispy

Try the pickling thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

Dope. Thanks!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mormon Nailer posted:

The one by my work just outside of St. Louis. Zero bourbon. It's fuckin weird.

Also on the cukes, if you did a fermented pickle, it could be the variety that is making them taste off. I get really good results with a traditional fermentation cycle with Straight 8s but never with the minis.

I just like gherkins and Costco so much lol. I buy the Vlasic Simply two pack and it's my jam, but I feel I could do better (read: garlickier). I don't do chips or slices as much. It could very well be the process as I let them go a loooong time, so I'll try again before switching varieties.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mormon Nailer posted:

Legit, I have just been stuffing entire cloves of garlic in the jar with the Vlasics and shoving them in the back of the fridge. Might not do anything much but I'll have pickley garlic eventually maybe.

Have you had the pink pickled turnips from the cold cases? They fuckin slap. Also they have just-ok danmuji.

Ooh not a bad idea. Could be a reason to buy the jar of whole peeled cloves instead of the minced garlic

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

It's really easy to just peel it yourself rather than relying on Chinese slave/prison/genocide labor to peel it for you. Not trying to get all CSPAM up in here, but the stuff comes from a pretty disgusting source.

If you aren't comfortable smashing with a knife use a bench scraper. If you don't have a bench scraper (why not?) just squish it with the meat of your palm.

Costco bagged garlic is kind of lovely, really. They brag about the high Brix, aka sugar. That makes it burn fast. Some onion+garlic recipes have you start the garlic in the pan first: not a good idea with the high-sugar Costco garlic. You really want to sweat the onions with some salt and oil before adding Costco garlic.

I cooked for a living for a decade, so knife skills aren't really a problem. Good point though about the sugar.

Also once again the church's supply chain is above reproach, unless they're using Chinese genocide labor in California:

https://www.costco.com/christopher-ranch-monviso-peeled-garlic%2C-3-lbs.product.100446625.html

(Yes I bet the California workers aren't treated great either, relatively speaking, but no ethical consumption in the Costco thread etc )

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That sounds awesome compared to my last depression meal which was expired Kirkland Black Forest Ham and Kirkland Mexican cheese blend broiled over Keto-friendly bread. Obv all from Costco. The ham didn't even get warm.

(In before "when I was a kid we ate literal trash out of a shoe" sorry)

Still PBUC because where else would I get it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I didn't know Costco sold Arbys

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Same with shrimp lol

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Couldn't make it through that video if you paid me. Woooof

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Wait wut?

Is it based on where the entrance is? I always follow the right hand wall because it leaves the frozen stuff now at the end of a shop. Is this wrong does Costco change regionally that way?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's twelve days before my wife's birthday so I picked up the 12 Days of Festive Cheese box (lol). Not really all that cheap but it's a big hit so far. Picked up a box of crackers and we're set for lunch this week.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Like the pills that make you crazy duh

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

speaking of costco gas station

how much is it where you are

$2.75 here in Kentucky. It's $2.99 at pretty much every other station

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's for premium, obviously?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

1) brown sugar boba bars
2) 505 salsa
3) Bitchin sauce
4) Sherpa blankets

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I mean I was just going on what I know having read every single post and leaving plenty of blanks. If we're adding individual recommendations instead of just hive mind I'll add:

-52 packs of "auto cleaning" terrycloth towels
-big sack of new potatoes, avocados, apples (the carton packed Fujis), summer squash and zucchini sack, double bubble of butter living lettuce
-bagels, for those living in benighted places without local options
-Chocolate Banana Almond Milk
-1L coconut waters
-the giant tub of block feta (death to precrumbled cheese)
-KS Fat-free Greek yogurt
-seconding Rao's marinara, 505, and also the San Marzano canned tomatoes
-sack of salt and pepper pistachios
-KS Omeprazole (Prilosec generic)
-Natrol melatonin gummies
- Booze (KS vodka, gin, bourbon, tequila and even their margarita mix)

And that's all in counter clockwise order like my store.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ooh also the big jars of dried oregano and black peppercorns, LaCroix, rolled oats, brown rice, organic canned black beans, the individual avocado mash and hummus snacks, actually it's all good just only eat food from costco

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Not a baaaaad deal

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Instead of a chest freezer to have full of crap when you die get another normal fridge freezer combo and put the shittier of your now-two refrigerators in your garage/basement/pantry/guest bedroom to hold long term freezer stuff and beverages.

Two normal sized freezers with stuff you like but can't get through immediately, one fridge with produce and delicious snacks, and one fridge just full of beer, white wine, rosé, seltzer, coconut water, etc.

It's amazing, and also if you're not as much of a beverage person the second fridge is perfect for cooling things on sheet trays, holding big pans of leftovers or casseroles, and just dumping your Costco stuff into when you get back from the store before you portion everything out. But really it's a beer fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
What's your friends number I'll travel