Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

If we're out of any of these things it's time to go to Costco!

Kirkland Organic olive oil (legit af)
Tillamook extra-sharp cheddar
TP
Paper towels
Dried cranberries/walnuts/almonds (interchangeable, oatmeal accoutrements)
Kirkland dye-free laundry detergent
Kirkland hippie environmentally friendly dish soap
Normandy vegetable mix (seriously the best one)
Frozen salmon fillets
Better than Bouillon organic chicken stock base (this is everywhere but Costco has it for SO cheap)

I always grab a flat of Red Bull for my boss, who is too cheap to buy a membership but happily piggybacks on mine -- why do I work for this shortsighted individual again?

Recent scores include the two-pack of buckets o'fresh cheese tortellini, a great many really nice sirloin steaks for a drat song, and the Kirkland frozen pepperoni pizzas -- four for roughly the same price as one Tombstone is at the regular supermarket (this is so my partner doesn't starve to death when I'm not around to shove broiled salmon and Normandy mix at him.)

We have successfully resisted the economy-sized Nutella for five consecutive visits, a record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Y'all need to get an Instant Pot.
Instant Pot: just as culty as Costco, lives up to the hype just as much. (Seriously get one.)

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

naem posted:

Is it hard to clean?
Not at all. If whatever's stuck to it doesn't scrub out easily, just run it with a couple cups of plain water for 5 minutes. Magic.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm still salty that they got rid of this pineapple habanero sauce that was really friggin good. Even though I cleared out what they had when I saw it was going away and I've still got a couple bigass bottles left I still could use more.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, this recipe is a pretty good clone. Even if I kind of want to strangle the blogger.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Today's Costco haul included

the perpetual Normandy vegetable mix
TP/paper towels
those inexpensive-rear end Babybels
black bean veggie burgers (haven't tried these yet, will report back)
those plastic-bottle T-shirts y'all like so much
frozen bean and cheese burritos (Lilly's, these are good, get em if your store has em)
giant box of baby spinach
a couple flats of La Croix hipster mineral water ($7 for a whole lot!)
my loving boss' loving Red Bull

and

the Visa card! Gonna let Costco send me to the Big Island this fall, with 3% cash back! And when I'm there I will stock the condo with sushi hubcaps and macaroni salad from the Kona Costco so I don't get screwed on captive-audience overpriced restaurant food!

THANK YOU COMRADE COSTCO.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I'm spending the weekend in Yosemite and will be stopping at the Fresno Costco in order to not go broke on snackin supplies in Mariposa.

Fresno is a legendary shithole and probably the worst city in the US, and this is the only time in my life that I've been even a little bit cheerful about going there. Such is the benevolent power of Costco.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Fresno Costco is fine! Bit of a nonsensical layout, but it had Snappers brand chocolate caramel pretzels which are the goddamn business. I'm gonna be lost and wandering in the wilderness in style, man.

And I only saw three hosed-up, terrifying things while within city limits, a record! Praise!

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I said an untrue thing, disregard

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I found this recipe for carrot cake that I wanna make. It calls for a shitload of pecans and a whole pound of cream cheese. YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

funny song about politics posted:

How are the Kirkland dress shirts?
My guy wears them and they're so durable he gets tired of them before they wear out. That dude is hard on his clothes, too.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

Normandy mix folks: when I mic it up for dinner, I get either crisp cauliflower and broccoli but rubbery carrots, or perfect carrots and mushy everything else. Any tips? I've tried a number times, but I can never get a decent balance. Should I just stovetop it from now on?
Roast the Normandy mix. It's the only way. Thaw it out, mix it up with salt, olive oil, some chopped garlic and onion if you want it, and blast it at about 425 for, oh, 10 minutes? Not long, anyway.

Tip for thawing: put it in a Zip-Loc and park it in a cast-iron skillet. The iron will equalize the temperature and melt it real fast. Or hell, skip the Zip-Loc and just roast in the skillet.

spite house fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 28, 2017

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Costco has frozen stir fry veggies too but I don't like them.
Nor I. Veggies for stir fry really have to be cooked individually or they'll be soggy and gross, which the Kirkland frozen stir fry mix is. Now I'm dodging lightning bolts I guess

DangerDummy! posted:

I'll give the roasted method a whirl when I can, but I'm usually using the oven for the entree part of the meal.
You can put them in at the same time. They don't have to go super-hot, it just doesn't take as long if they do.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Kirkland's leggings are the poo poo, predictably. Built like a house. No reason to pay more than fifteen bucks for leggings ever thanks to Costco

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

Costco in my area has Rao's Marinara Sauce and it is the bomb dot com.
Wow, no poo poo? Rao's is the only legit excellent jarred marinara sauce though, so of course it's represented at the 'co. I should never have doubted.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I buy the costco things of curry because I moved to Montana and there aren't Indian people here.

It's not...great. I really miss real indian food.

My wife was asked at work how she was enjoying Montana, the conversation went like this;

Wife; "We like it, its beautiful and the people are nice, but we are missing some of the take out back in Seattle"
Co-Worker #1; "Oh, like what kind of food?"
Wife: "Mostly indian food, there isn't any in the valley"
Co-Worker #1; "You know, I bet you can find indian food if you go down to Polson, that's really near the reservation."
Wife; "Um, no, not Native American food, East Indian Food."
Helpful Co-worker #2; "Dot on head indian, not woo woo indian".
Co-worker #1;"OH! you mean Chinese food, we have lots of that".

Welcome to Montana.

When I google Indian food it suggest Arby's. I assume because I might as well just die if I am craving indian food.

But on the bright side I'm 5 minutes from Costco so I can get gas, a hot dog, and inferior curry any time I like!
Time to buy you one of Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks and spend some time on Penzey's, friend. (Get the proteins for your curries at Costco natch.)

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, you're not going to get really fabulous tandoori anything without an actual tandoor, but curries and naan and things are cake in a regular kitchen, and a tandoor probably wouldn't be too daunting of a DIY project, come to think of it. (And since it's Montana it's unlikely the neighbors would get on your case too much.)

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

The Lihue Costco has a chicken infestation in the parking lot and three different kinds of Spam.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Have discovered a rare Kirkland misstep, the protein bars, which taste exactly like Amway protein shakes and leave your mouth feeling like it's coated with finely-ground nickels. Steer clear. (The only actively bad own-brand item I've bought in like a decade so I ain't mad, and hurrah for the return policy.)

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

What flavors did you get? I don't mind them at all.
Chocolate brownie and cookie dough, both punitive.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

Wtf on Costco produce. They are consistently better quality than any other store around here.
I tried to make kimchi out of Costco Brussels sprouts once (I have made kimchi out of supermarket Brussels sprouts before and it worked great) and the things stubbornly refused to ferment, like at all. They remained completely inert for literal months. It kind of gave me the creeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Homemade stock is the only thing for risotto, which is absurdly easy to make in an Instant Pot (now available at Costco, and sometimes they have Arborio rice too).

Taima posted:

(and everyone should have MSG in their pantry but that's a topic for another day).
Thai fish sauce. It's basically 100% glutamates so it does the same (magical) thing as MSG while being harder to overuse. As amazing as MSG is, it completely ruins dinner if you go too far.

I have never seen Thai fish sauce at Costco. They should really get on that.