Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SirPablo posted:

What ever happened to the self checkout scanners you'd use when you dropped poo poo in your cart?
I haven’t seen those at my store yet, but they did try having a few self-checkout lanes. They got rid of them after a year because people stole too much stuff :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Virigoth posted:

Which Costco do you frequent? About to start a Bitchin Sauce crusade across Indianapolis looking for it. Many potholes will be dodged and meth heads evaded.
Aren’t there only two in town? I’ve never seen it in Castleton for what it’s worth, although I haven’t been looking for it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My stupid conscience resulted in a mediocre food court experience:

Chicken Ceasar salad - it’s a salad alright. I wish like it tasted like anything; some black pepper on the chicken (or, you know, any spice at all) would have done wonders. At least the lettuce and tomatoes seemed fresh.

Vanilla Açaí swirl - this was bad. I don’t know what genius decided it was a good idea to mix ice cream nonfat frozen yoghurt with sherbet but that is not a good mix of textures. I’m not exactly an açaí connoisseur but the flavor wasn’t great either. I didn’t even finish it :(. Not even in the same universe as the berry swirl.

Making up for it now with some dark chocolate covered pretzels I foolishly bought and the two whiskeys that magically appeared in my cart.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ultimate Mango posted:

In other news: the honey smoked salmon is freaking awesome.
In the yellow/blue packaging? Yeah that stuff is great, I make sure to pick one up every time I go.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm not that much a fan of the costco jug of hummus. And the spinach artichoke dip is so-so . Bitchin Sauce is forever highly recommended to everyone who hasn't tried it yet.
The giant Sabra roasted pine nut hummus? I like it but I always get sick of it before it runs out.

I don’t think we have Bitchin Sauce at our CostCo but there was some kind of cashew spread. It might have been Sabra too?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Does that actually work?
no there’s a special octane agent that actually causes it to subtract so you end up with 92 - 89 = 3 octane

Real talk; gas stations don’t have more than two tanks, so the mid grade is just a mix.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 Plus on my ‘08 GTI for what it’s worth. I think even that tire is borderline overkill for my car. There was a definite drop in mpg compared to the OEM tires.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

El Jebus posted:

And if you don't have the time to make it yourself, that barbacoa (and the Al pastor and carnitas) is not bad for the price. Not top tier but if you're making burritos it's pretty good.
The Kirkland pulled pork is phenomenal in case someone hasn’t tried it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Thwomp posted:

Went to church for essentials and ended up taking home some prepared Indian food that was pretty tasty.

I’m sure it’s no where near authentic but gently caress it, I’ll take tasty any day.
I’ve tried both the microwaveable pouches of lentils and chickpeas and they’re both pretty good. Very heavy on the salt of course.

The pouches of brown rice & quinoa with garlic are real nice too (screw cooking rice if I’m making that little of it).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

GORDON posted:

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh.

But I lived in Memphis a long time, my standards are high.
Does the pulled pork you’re comparing it to come in a 2lb refrigerated tub for $9.99? Didn’t think so :colbert:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MarcusSA posted:

Hows the flavoring on the pulled pork? I might have to get some I kinda wanna try a breakfast scramble with it.
There’s no real seasoning on it although it’s miles more flavorful than any other store-bought pulled pork I’ve had.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MarcusSA posted:

Ok cool it’s going on the list for next trip!
Pro-tip is to cut it in half (at least) and freeze those chunks. 2lbs of pulled pork is a massive quantity unless you’re feeding a bunch of people.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lazyhound posted:

Isn’t it hickory-smoked?
Yeah but that’s not really a “seasoning” in my book. There’s no sauce or spice mix in it unlike some of non-Kirkland prepared meat tubs they also carry.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Mix in heavy cream to the milk for cereal?

That's basically how they make the fat percentage stay at a certain percent anyhow
Without the homogenization it’s just going to float on the top though

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Senf posted:

Bought some tires at Costco and there aren’t any appointments available for weeks, so I’m gonna walk in tomorrow morning. Are the rumors true? Do I get there an hour before opening?
lol good luck. I don’t use CostCo for tires anymore since they were always insanely busy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My CostCo tried self-checkout lanes for a year or so which was modestly better in some ways, but they got rid of them because people stole too much stuff.

Even on weekdays when it’s fairly dead it can be a pain because they likely only have 1-2 lanes open so they still get backed up.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Went to Costco expecting to get a hotdog but I walked out with the store-made “Chicken Street Tacos” instead (new-ish thing found over in the meat section). Somebody else was picking one up and said the cilantro sauce that comes with it was amazing. Verdict: tacos were good. Cilantro sauce was not life-changing. Chicken was tender, the fajitas weren’t dry, etc. I don’t think it’s going to win any awards for value but I guess you’re paying for the convenience. Not sure I’d pick it up again but I don’t regret trying it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Costco should be in the computer parts bizz.
I heard one of the reasons that they officially got rid of their free lifetime returns policy is that people would buy a computer, keep it for 3-4 years, return it, buy a new one, rinse & repeat.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

My friend did this with xboxes. They'd release a new version or "halo masterchief" edition and they'd go to costco with the old one, full redund, new xbox. :v:
cheating costco is extremely cursed imo

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

secular woods sex posted:

Don’t get a cart.
That absolutely helps but I have two large shopping bags and it starts to get real loving heavy after I’ve loaded them up with wine and those giant $3 vinegar jugs (great for cleaning)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I got the dark chocolate covered pretzels again last time I went and they’re still phenomenal. The bag vanished in a ruinously quick amount of time.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

pacerhimself posted:

Get these. They are great in salads, on burgers, with whatever.
Oh poo poo, those are back? I haven’t seen them in a while.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

How bad would it be to eat these by themselves
They’re honestly not that good by themselves; you have to put them on something.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Even if it was good, 48 oz seems insane. I would expect it to lose a large amount of flavor before it runs out unless you’re cooking meals for 12 everyday.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pershing posted:

Ditto on the Pepsi angle. I wish they'd let you swap the drink for something else...maybe get a berry smoothie for an extra dollar or something.
I always just get the straight soda water from the machine instead.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My work bought a few of those cheese flights for an event. The one on the right with all the spices on it was aces. I don’t think any of the others really stood out.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I tried the Banza chickpea pasta based on the thread's recommendation. I can confirm that Banza + $4.99 chicken + pesto is a solid combo.

One word of warning though, the box mentions it can foam a bit. They're not lying, I turned my back on it for 30 seconds and my stove top was suddenly reenacting the end of Ghostbusters.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

pacerhimself posted:

Placing a wood spoon across the top of the pot causes the bubbles to dissipate before they spill over. It probably doesn't need to be wood. It works for regular pasta, should work for this.

And yes, it's the closest to real pasta I've found. Don't care about gluten but the macros are solid.
That wasn’t mere bubbles my friend, there were globs with serious heft to them everywhere

I almost wonder if I should rinse it before cooking

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I bought my C8 from CostCo around Black Friday last year and the prices were comparable to whatever other deals were around. The relative pricing on the 55 vs 65 isn’t the same in every retailer either, so you have to do a little checking around for the exact TV you want.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I think it's kinda easy to leave the pizza in there too long and gently caress up the crust since Papa Murphys (only?) has thin crust pies. Once you cook it in the same oven a few times you can get the pie just right.
No, they have a variety of crusts. I believe they even have some gimmick stuffed-crust stuff

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Toxic Mental posted:

I mean I’m not all ewww vegetables yucky or something but I never got why someone would want bitter green and red peppers on something like a pizza
If you think bell peppers are “bitter” do you go into shock drinking lemonade or eating key lime pie?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
for the record I am indeed extremely offended that there exist people who describe bell peppers as “bitter”

But apparently that can happen if the peppers get too little water when growing.

I wonder if it’s also one of those foods like cilantro or white pepper that tastes radically different for some people.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
As a wayward Swede, mixing pork in with beef sounds like a bonus honestly

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My Roomba’s arch nemesis is an IKEA Poäng chair. See that strip on the bottom connecting the two halves? It’s beveled perfectly so the Roomba can drive up on it but then it gets stuck. The vacuum seems to loving love that chair and will exploit any possible lapse in your barriers to find out that bar and seesaw on it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Hambulance posted:

How do the robot vacuums do with oriental rugs on hardwood floors? Will it get tangled in the fringe?
It would undoubtedly get tangled; it also might not make it over the normal sides.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Taima posted:

They're pretty rad. They do have a little sodium but you can take some salt out of your dish to account for it if it worries ya:

How many servings are in one of those packets?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Taima posted:

I believe the package has 4 servings
Does that mean it contains 4 pouches of 1 serving each or does each pouch contain 4 servings?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Zombie Dachshund posted:

My local church doesn’t sell booze (stupid state monopoly system), but I’m going to be at one in a neighboring state this weekend. What should I be looking for when it comes to alcohol?
I found this list: https://www.mashed.com/145332/the-best-and-worst-kirkland-liquors-to-buy-at-costco/

I can vouch for the Cognac.

I actually like their gin but I don’t know much about gins so it may very well be a poor value like the article says.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

You guys don't put that there COOL WHIP on top of your pumpkin pies? No wonder none of you like it. More pie for me I guess.
cool whip isn’t food

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Taima posted:

Nah they're a bit different:

The main problem is the chicken is super dry, and nothing about the kit is that good or flavorful. It would be serviceable for a last minute dinner if they fixed the meat.
The chicken quality is probably highly variable. I can nearly guarantee it’s just leftover rotisserie chickens they didn’t sell.

I tried it once for the novelty and thought it was OK. The main problem is that there’s nothing in there that saves you that much effort compared to making an equivalent meal yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I used to think “skunky” beer was just a saying until I had Lucky Buddha

I highly doubt CostCo sells skunked beer