Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Maybe flavored sparkling water options are regional? In the Seattle area, Costco carries Talking Rain variety cases instead with plain, lemon lime, berry & tangerine flavors, while in the Vancouver, BC area, I've never seen them carry any flavored sparkling waters at all. Just plain San Pellegrino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

binge crotching posted:

So I guess the next time I head through YVR I need to make a run over to the Costco next to BC Place.

BC Place doesn't have the wings yet. Richmond might, both Burnaby ones certainly do.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
$5 - generic Benadryl
$11 - generic Claritin
$13 - generic Zyrtec
$14 - generic Allegra

Personally, Zyrtec works best for me of the OTC options I've tried without drowsiness, but it really depends on what you're allergic to, and how badly.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

This explains alot now.

I should note I'm guessing off memory. Been a minute since I've been down to the states. Next time you're in the store, (and on the bottle you picked up,) just look up actual medicine name (should be in the fine print of active ingredients & dosage info,) on your phone, it'll say the brand names in the wiki article.

Also, Costco generics usually try to match the name brand color scheme in any given country though, so in the US pink should be Benadryl, Blue should be Claritin, Green should be Zyrtec, and Purple should be Allegra.

//edit

SirPablo posted:

This is symbolic of America's healthcare system.
I see pretty much the same break down here in Canada for Costco generic vs. name brand on OTC allergy meds unfortunately (with no costco generic Allegra here yet last time I checked, though it doesn't touch my allergies at all.)

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 22, 2018

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

it isn't costco matching the colors. Bulk OTC tablets are manufactured in India/China/etc. and are used by all otc companies. We literally all share the same few suppliers. Which, by the way is going to cause the price of OTC to go through the roof in the new year, due to the tariffs taking effect.

Oh, I was thinking the Costco branded labels rather than the pills themselves, but yeah that makes sense that it's all the same handful of suppliers. Makes me glad I'm in Canada too.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Canada uses the same suppliers. Every country does. Only China currently has the precursors to produce ibuprofen and paracetamol and the ability to make the final bulk product. Every country buys from them because they have no choice.

Tariffs apply on import/landing product though right? The tax hit happens when it hits US shores. China to US = tariff, China to Canada, no tariff.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Bummey posted:

and the faux benadryl is like $5 for 400 pills in a huge bottle, vs real benadryl $8 for 10-20 in a lovely blister pack. It's fuckin loony.

Sorry to keep the allergy derail up but yes, it's nuts. Branding is a often a racket, but for long off patent OTC meds, it's a joke. Also worth also noting Benadryl is the sleep part of Tylenol PM/Simply Sleep, so Costco generic Benadryl is the cheapest sleep aid too (though, there's some studies warning against long term use for allergies or sleep: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2091745 .)

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
The how is because all of those things are super YMMV. I've never caught sleep off Zyrtec and barely so off Benadryl, but either drops my mom right to sleep (Zyrtec usually being non-drowsy for most people.) Claritin is the only allergy drug she's had that's actually effective, but that's also properly non-drowsy. Claritin was my go to until Zyrtec went generic and did the job leagues better until just this year, where due to proximity to every pollen laden trees (like turning the driveway yellow,) I had to double my dosage (which is the Rx strength anyway.)

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Renegret posted:

Oh, I don't need much from Costco, it'll be a quick trip.

-Famous last words, from a time when Renegret was $400 richer
1/12/2019

I've taken to not taking a cart in if I'm only getting a few things. Though, I live walking distance from Costco, so I can afford to avoid stocking up.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Math You posted:

We also have New York Fries and Montana's

Those are even better with context though:

New York Fries is a Poutine chain, so it's an American name for a chain serving a French Canadian-ish dish.

Montana's is basically Canada's Claim Jumper. They have Steaks, BBQ & peanut shells on the floor, because that's real country Americana or something. As guy with family in Montana, Montana's feels like Americatown from the Simpsons.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
To be fair, each Costco dramatically shifts what it gets in to what moves fastest in that location. Some Costco stores lean heavy into the bulk upsell options because that's the clientele there. Others lean way more into bulk generic products, and others still are clearly just aimed at restaurants and businesses (even if they're not officially a business Costco.) Just in the Seattle area, what gets carried at the Kirkland Costco is not what's carried in the Woodinville Costco 10 miles away, let alone the Tukwila Costco 20 miles away. Different neighborhoods, different demographics, and the only consistent option is the dog and the 'za.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Dely Apple posted:

I cannot see this ending up anywhere but as the decoration of a 100+ foot tall, Puget Sound old growth pine if you fired it anywhere near my Costco.

Only place I could think of off hand where you night get away with it in the Puget Sound area is the glider field on Willows Road across from the soccer fields, and that assumes that neither the glider guys nor the soccer parents complain.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
They literally just added self checkout at my local Costco, and it's been great for quick trips, so I hope people don't cheat it and get it taken away. :ohdear:

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

priznat posted:

I go to a smaller one in Burnaby BC pretty often (it is near my work) and it is between two much larger ones. It's a lot more pleasant experience than either of those two so I hope it doesn't get shut down!

It's usually still crazy busy so it seems unlikely.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, that Costco is super near a university, and so I doubt they'll nix it any time soon. Students living near/on campus and sharing cars constantly frequent that location (I should know; if I'm guessing right, that was the Costco I frequented while attending said university.) Also, there's litany of skyscrapers going up near by with many more planned, so there's only going to be more pressure on that location. No one living in that area of Burnaby is gonna wanna drive to Port Coquitlam, Brentwood or Surrey for the other Costcos unless their commute takes them by it naturally.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 27, 2019

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

priznat posted:

Yay! It is a very OG location too, I remember going there with my folks 20-30(?) years ago. drat.

The price of land is insane here and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Willingdon location gets developed to include condo towers over the parking at some point.

Also how does the downtown Vancouver location do if you can say? I went there a few times when it first opened and it was possibly the least busy costco I’ve ever seen. Perhaps with more people moving downtown it is fine now but there was already a huge population when it opened and not too lively. Possibly because downtown apartments are the size of a shoebox.

Anecdotally from grabbing lunch and office snacks there from back when I used to work downtown, it's got a steady clientele of literally every walk of life getting lunch from its outdoor Costco cafe, then a lot of restaurants & businesses loading up flatbed carts inside with bulk food and/or office supplies, but it's never so busy as a suburban Costco on a weekend. When all I needed was a single item, it was preferable to pick it up at lunch downtown than fighting for parking at the Lougheed location closer to my residence, even with the skytrain ride back.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
They just expanded the self checkouts at my local Costco from 6 to 9, plus adding 6 more for the food court, so in typical Costco fashion, what they do with self checkout is very much about handling the needs of a given location it seems. I personally really like it as it moves so much faster than what they had before. People with a couple items seem to self select to the self checkout while those with full carts still hit the cashiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Username/post combo.