Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

WescottF1 posted:

I live not far from the Minhas brewery and have toured it once. All of their beers have a weird sourness to them which could be due to Monroe, WI's water. Kinda like how the Rocky Mountain water Coors uses must have a lot of iron or something in it, because to me Coors has a really metallic aftertaste to it.

i thought i recognized the name of this brewery and it's because i once bought a giant can of this dreck for $2 just to see how bad it was. it was awful:

http://minhasbrewery.com/our-brews/malt-liqours/axehead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

does costco only sell a 12 month xbox live subscription online? i wanted to buy two of them and do the gamepass conversion trick but they did not appear to sell any standard xbox live subscriptions at my local store

also, for the 12 month xbox subscription they sell digitally, it says it is limited to one per customer. can i just, uh, do two transactions? or is it more locked down than that

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

her original twitter thread is pretty good too

https://twitter.com/mixbecca/status/1390431187794022407

i cheered so hard at the part thats just "JEFF". you'll know i mean when u see it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

edit: Amazon popped up with this ASURION 4 Year Laptop Accident Protection Plan and I didn't know if I should buy it. I don't know anything about them although the overall reviews are good. I have 30 days to purchase it if I want.

Asurion is a long-time device insurance/protection company. I had a good experience with them many years ago when I paid an extra couple bucks per month on my phone bill and broke my cell phone, but I also now personally think that the extended warranties that a person is offered by the store where you bought the product are usually a bad deal.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 12, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

well this happened

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Spinz posted:

Now see I posted in here that I thought those were great and I got mocked. Silly goons.
I agree they are really good and so inexpensive. It's a shame I had to stop buying them :( (getting fat)

For a healthier "ice cream" bar, I really liked the Yasso brand frozen greek yogurt bars that my store had recently. My wife liked them too, and she has Opinions about good ice cream and ice cream adjacent desserts. They are low fat and like 100 calories per bar. I don't know how often or widely Costco carries them though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

durrneez posted:

oooh, i gotta try these now. do the Yasso bars come in a variety pack at costco?

If you're unsure on buying a Costo size pack of one flavor, Yasso does make small packs of about 4 bars that they sell to regular grocery stores.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

people who have not worked retail should get trained on barcode scanning before they use a self-checkout lane :can:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

This thread has convinced me to start turning my barcodes up as I put items into my cart, that's an easy timesaver (and less lifting) for everyone involved

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Maybe I’m missing something here, but what about a hefty tri-ply stainless steel skillet/saute pan? They’re perfect for pan sauces and like a whole bunch of other cooking.

good stainless steel pans are amazing. i dunno if costco ever carries the heavy hitter brands like all-clad though

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

please see your doctor if you think you have an iron deficiency. do not go buy a cast iron skillet from costco for that lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'm gonna get my Karen on tomorrow when I go back to Costco tonight and tell them this story.

We were getting gas and I had my Costco Citi card and the attendant walked up and I said "$25 of r-" and he cuts me off and goes "REGULAR OKAY" and takes the card and walks to the pump and I was like to my wife "wow that guy is in a hurry, he knew what I wanted I guess because everyone gets regular or something?"

Anyways, the pump dings and I look back and see I've been charged $47 and it's filled my tank. The guy comes around and I say "Hey man, uh, I said $25" and the attendant was like "Bwuh?" and I was like "yeah I said $25, didn't you hear me say that? I didn't say 'fill it up' or anything" and he goes "UGH. I MEAN I DUNNO MAN I DIDN'T HEAR YOU SAY THAT, MAYBE YOU NEED BETTER COMMUNICATION OR SOMETHING MAN." and I go "uhh well I wasn't looking because I said $25 and gave you my card... so... can I get an overfill slip?" and he's just extremely pissy about it as he gets it and says "LIKE HONK THE HORN OR WAVE ME DOWN WHEN YOU SEE IT". Basically every time I go there and I say I want $25 the attendant will repeat it back to me for confirmation, but this guy never did.

I have a feeling he was pissed off that I was wearing a mask but regardless it's some shameful poo poo to blame ME for his fuckup. It's weird, Costco is known for having good customer service from its highly paid and benefitted employees who are supposed to be happier and helpful because they don't fear bankruptcy and medical bills and whatnot but at my city's Costco I've had numerous absolutely dogass customer service encounters. I hope they talk to this guy and tell him to slow down for 0.25 seconds to confirm each amount instead of just speeding by and grabbing the card, and also not to act like an rear end in a top hat and blame the members for his own fuckups.

assuming that every employee at a costco knows your purchase habits is indeed some Karen poo poo, and you're a jerk if you narc on the dude because of your failure to confirm the gas amount with him

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I think the key line in gas goon's post is "I've had numerous absolutely dogass customer service encounters". I have never had a bad experience at Costco and honestly I am kind of struggling to remember the last time I had a bad customer service experience at any store, not just Costco...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Rufio posted:

Was it your last $22? Did it overdraw your account? What's the reasoning behind not just filling up?

when i worked in a gas station ages ago, i tended to encounter a few main kinds of "doesn't fill up the gas tank all the way" customers:
1) person who usually only has a few bucks to spend
2) guy (always a man) who only puts a little gas in at a time to eke out the tiny bit of fuel savings that you get from driving around with a bit less lbs/kg total car weight because the tank isn't full
3) people who would come inside PISSED OFF and ask me IS THAT PUMP BROKEN because they pumped $25.03 instead of $25, and they explain to me that the reason this is bad is because "i buy $25 worth of gas at a time", no further explanation given

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

^^^ this ^^^

AHH F/UGH posted:

Not that it matters but because people are trying to find any justification possible to protect the rear end in a top hat who was an rear end in a top hat - my work has a gas allowance and it reimbursed us to the nearest $25. Everyone who has it does this same thing. My tank to go from empty to full is generally less than $50 so I just get $25 every time that it’s close to empty.

your employer having an expense reimbursement system from the stone age is not an excuse to threaten the livelihood of a frontline retail worker

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i bet if one of the goons who works at costco forwarded this thread to the customer service department, they'd get a message back "oh lol it's that jeff guy in oregon we have to deal with all the time"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Zachack posted:

I am in the market for a new sofa, preferably a reclining one (not some huge sectional). Is there any truth to July being "furniture month" at Costco, and does anyone have experience with their furniture? Now that COVID has been obliterated and no variants exist I am hoping that I will be able to sit and try some before buying and getting COVID.

related question: does costco sell decent beds?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

You need both the Optifiber and the psyllium fiber capsules for maximum shits and rear end-blasting.

then you can also add in a fish oil or flax oil supplement so that your burps smell terrible too. become the ultra-goon

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Bumble Dong posted:

If you live in: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Texas, or Vermont you can walk in and say “I’m just here for alcohol” and even buy it without a membership. Used to be a godsend back in college before I became an established gold star member

in minnesota there's nobody checking for your membership when you walk into the separate entrance to the costco liquor store. because all they can sell in there is booze. to everyione. DUH

also i think because they can't restrict it to members-only here, the prices aren't amazing. at least, i don't remember the prices being anything special the couple of times i went into the costco liquor store

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 15, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Poopelyse posted:

serious question: where can you buy sport peppers? i've never found them in stores. i recently moved to california, anyone know of stores that might sell them?

uh, in grocery stores? maybe you just aren't looking in the right ones

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the early open times at stores are for everyone who is at high risk for covid complications, so it would be kind of a dick move to interrogate non-old-looking people about why they're in the store

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

redreader posted:

Just a heads up. Last time I got croissants at the entrance and didn't think twice. This most recent time I went, I got them at the entrance then double checked expiry/baked on date vs the dates of the ones in the actual bakery section. The croissants at the entrance were all dated for 1-2 days earlier then the ones in the bakery section. The entrance is where they try to offload old baked goods, it seems.

yep, it's a classic store tactic. certain types of store displays, and certain areas of stores such as end-caps, have been found to be more appealing to the people walking through the store. so you use tactics like this when you want to get rid of expiring products or clear out old inventory.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it looks like we have some sparkly water noobs in this thread. here are some tips for those of you who aren't hip to the Laws of La Croix:

1) the quality of each flavor is very subjective. every person i know who drinks sparkling water has some flavors that they love, and some that they think are disgusting. flavors are also completely different by brand, so if you like lime Bubly it's no guarantee you will like lime La Croix

2) variety packs can be very hit or miss. MY WIFE and i rarely buy variety packs of sparkling water at costco because most of the combos that we see there include a flavor that one of us hates. if one of the minor flavors of a pack is an unknown, i might go for it, but i won't buy a pack where most of the cans are unknown flavors to me

3) carbonation varies a lot between brands. some people love the carbonation level of a certain brand, while others hate it. this is another area of personal preference you just have to figure out over time. in my opinion we're getting to the point where a lot of brands (including many generic and store brands) are figuring out that you need to do a different level of carbonation for sparkling water versus soda, but i still run across a brand once in a while that hasn't mastered it

4) costco has (in my area anyway) one of the better everyday prices for sparkling water. but i do often see better prices for it when it goes on sale at other stores

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Midniter posted:

I found these dark chocolate covered coconut almonds at Aldi a few weeks back and despite not being a huge fan of coconut, I really enjoyed them. They were like the child of a Mounds and an Almond Joy. At my trip to Costco this past weekend I found a bag of the same type of confection, so I grabbed one. Sadly, they are not quite as good as the Aldi variety: the chocolate is much closer to milk than dark chocolate, and there's a tad too much coconut. I'll still eat them as they're tasty, but buyer beware.

imo it's pretty hard to beat the value of chocolate candy at aldi

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

food samples are back at my local costco, good timing too since people are starting to mask up again due to rebounding rona numbers :discourse:

i bought that giant jar of hatch chili sauce because you nerds keep raving about it. it better be good!!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

david_a posted:

It is good, just keep in mind it’s more of a topping than a salsa you eat on its own.

trip report: i can see why people like it, it adds a nice mild chile flavor to other foods. i had it on a pulled pork sandwich :yum:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Whoever said the key lime has a creamy taste to it nearly ruined it for me. I taste it now. I still think it's one of the best flavors.

the thing that brought me around to the key lime and limoncello flavor la croix was deciding for myself that they're more candy flavored than fruit juice flavored. if you compare them to your favorite "realistic" lime/lemon flavored seltzer, yeah, they might taste off. but all seltzers in the vein of la croix just use a secret proprietary mix of natural flavorings: look on the can for your favorite seltzer flavor which you swear is the most realistic, and you will most likely not find a breakdown of which specific natural flavorings are in it...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

speaking of vacuums, during my last store trip i saw vacuums going for like $500+ and it was just low and mid tier brands, like dyson for example. if you're gonna spend that kind of money on a vacuum i don't understand why you wouldn't just get a miele :shobon:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

bagmonkey posted:

I'm working on bullying my S/O into letting me drop the money a proper vacuum, aka the Miele that Costco sells.

i wish you good luck. the costco miele looks very similar to the one i have and mine is a glorious beast that will last forever

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

miele makes stick vaccums but of course the cheapest one is like $500 lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

david_a posted:

I freeze half of it when I open a jar because some weeks I don’t really eat anything it goes well with. That said I did keep a half jar for over a month and it seemed fine, but the lack of preservatives makes that a bit risky.

it has salt and lime juice in it, and the bottle says it should last at least 3 weeks in the fridge after opening, so it isn't super weird that you went a month and it still seemed fine

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

thathonkey posted:

im thinking about going to costco today. i know one person posted that onions were back at their food court but is this actually the case for anyone else? i cant stand hot dog trolling

just take some purse onions, this is a solved problem

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

yeah i'm gonna need to see pics of this

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I was thinking "where are people getting all these milk crates?"

Then I remembered.

Costco.

my local store has the milk jugs on flat plastic trays that are the depth and width of a pallet. it's one of those bad designs that lets excess liquid pool under each jug, so you have to be real careful when you put a jug in your cart that you don't drip milk slurry all over the other stuff in the cart :mrwhite:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

extravadanza posted:

Daisy cottage cheese is literally like a tub of snot. Land o lakes cottage cheese is extremely good .

isn't "snot" like, the literal texture result of the cottage cheese production process? it has a chunky part and a soupy part. curds and whey

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

Oh yeah buddy let's talk sour cream... and how it's just a lovely version of yogurt or creme fraiche or crema or skyr. Just buy Fage or whatever. Any situation that called for sour cream can be improved immensely by getting a cultured product that's not developed in suburban USAnia. :smug:

On a different note I bought a Costco-sized thing of peanut butter filled pretzels and have been giggling at the fact that they're filled with real "Virginia Peanut Butter" like oh thank GOD this nut butter is from one of the thirteen original colonies. They are delicious when you eat one at a time paired with one (1) fresh raspberry though

this post packs an amazing amount of self-own into 2 paragraphs

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

Sorry I didn't like your hotdish after service this week. I just think that Daisy products should be reserved for people who think mayonnaise is spicy

sour cream is by definition a cultured dairy product, and it originated in europe. virginia has been famous for peanut production for literally hundreds of years, and one of the varieties of commercially grown peanuts is named after the place. please continue to post during your corncob metamorphosis

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 1, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

look what i saw today. is someone from costco monitoring this thread??? :xd:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

they believe that a person must put the pretty side of the flat sheet facing up when making a bed. so if you have a sheet that's softer on the pretty side, they think you are required by the laws of the universe to not have that side of the sheet touching your skin :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Somewhere out there a person who is allergic to peanut dust in the air is fuming, trying to track you down. He goes by Mr Brittle.

my guess is it's less peanut dust and more that every surface of their kitchen is covered in excess peanut/banana slime