Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I live alone but I want the jamón

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

going to consult jamon.com for all of life's questions from now on :btroll:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

If anyone has the jamon they are required to post pics of the glory.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Retail jobs do suck, but it's a false equivalency to say they suck equally. On one hand, you have a family who controls a mind-boggling amount of the wealth in this country and on the other is a company who is totally willing to tell their shareholders to go gently caress themselves. I'm not talking about whether or not it's fun to collect shopping carts from the lot.

I worked at Target for a while and we watched videos about how awful unions are and how we should report employees if we hear them talking about it. I made a joke about how we can't talk about unions once to my lefty boss and it was like saying bomb in an airport, his eyes widened and he basically told me to never go there again.

I'm sure Costco would prefer not to deal with unions (and many locations are non-union), but there are a number of stores that have unionized and the company is not horrid about it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

If you are serious about vacuuming, just spend a ton of money on a Miele canister bagged vac. It's seriously one of the best products I own. The powerbrush models are a lot more expensive but other vacuums just feel like lovely dustbusters to me now, the difference in suction and pickup is crazy.

Also, I finally witnessed the jamon yesterday. I thought my store didn't have any and then I turned around and saw a massive stack of them on a pallet. All I could think about was pulling off the world's greatest Jamon Jeist.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Texas just is Big Florida.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

You still get the wooden stand and knife with the jamon but it was a way better deal when it came with the indentured monkey butler to slice for you.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Gatts posted:

Yes but if you aren’t forming the very atoms that make up the seed that you then plant into the ground to become the rice then what are you even doing ?

This is why no one can beat Carl Sagan’s apple pie.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

If she likes kitchen stuff I’ve found pretty good things in that aisle, but they seem to change the selection a lot aside from the big ticket appliances. I’ve gotten some colorful silicone utensils, high quality sheet pan and cutting board sets, at one point they had a nice instant read thermometer but I didn’t get it. You do kinda have to just browse the aisle because some stuff is boring and utilitarian but I’ve seen a lot of cool things with fun designs too.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I had a stressful day of sitting at home and watching the news, so I think I might treat myself to a little drive to church to pick up some food.
It will not be my first chicken bake of the year. :ssh:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

There used to be Kirkland hazelnut spread that was way cheaper than nutella, tasted identical (to me), and didn't use palm oil.

I was trying to confirm that it was discontinued and found this awesome thing posted on reddit:

I've never seen something like this at my Costcos, but maybe if I leave a good comment card they'll start. It's nice to know the reason even if something isn't coming back.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

just lol if you can't eat a whole jamón and brownie dish for one meal, what kind of goon are you. the giant stuffed bear is a bigger man than you

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I don't use A1 on the burgers and steaks themselves anymore but it's a really good fry sauce for red meat meals.

But I am also a ketchup hater so I am always hype for a good fry sauce.

fake edit: also, just buy generic at your grocery store, it tastes the same

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

The chicken pot pies are legit. They're kinda high in sodium but all the ingredients are quality and it's a lot of food for the price. For the same effort as making a frozen pizza it really feels like a good homemade meal.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

please sir, i yearn to TURN CLOCKWISE

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Huh, I’ve been to the Hillsboro costco a few times and I guess I never noticed it was bigger. I think I’ve been to every Costco in the Portland metro area though. The one in the southeast has its food court outside, very cursed.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Can you even pump your own gas at a Oregon costco? Yeah I thought not so gently caress that

It fuckin sucks, but that's just all of Oregon. The 'co at least has tons of pumps and there's always someone standing right there, so it's about as good as it gets in this state. And you still can't beat those prices. My bigger complaint since I got into car tuning is that I've only seen 92 octane at Oregon Costcos, no 93.

Apparently the trick at regular pumps is just to get out and start doing it yourself, either someone will come to yell at you and you get immediate service or you just fill up and leave before anyone says anything. But I fear confrontation so I just sit in my car and let the big man come fill up my car for little boys.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

https://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

Done those a few times and they were a huge hit. It's basically meat candy.

gently caress I wish I had a smoker, this looks so incredible

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I got the honey roasted macadamias today, these things better be the crack cocaine this thread promised me.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I don't really go into GWS but I have this thread bookmarked, it's great: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213

Buy a couple of really nice knives and learn to sharpen yourself or find a local person who will hand sharpen your knives for $5 - $10 a piece. Chances are they have been doing it for years and will do an amazing job and you get to support them.

But if you're lazy there are plenty of mass-produced knives that come sharp as hell and aren't too expensive. The Victorinox paring knives are like $6 and rock solid so you could basically treat them as disposable if you wanted.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Halloween Liker posted:

Does anyone know what Costco stands for

crabs only, seriously though crabs only :yeeclaw:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXmc7DG4uu8

you are all pawns of the

K O L A N U T

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Sighence posted:

Every day I wake up, open palm slam a hot dog in my mouth...

im permabanned poster samsclubstomper58. i first got my costco membership when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “chicken bakes” and tried to shop there constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “onion dispenser” and “i love manufacturer's instant rebates” in my head for hours, and i would get really hungry, start seeing free samples in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal executive member. im now on kirkland statins. i always wondered what the kind of “value” shopping at costco was all about; i think it’s the unnecessary leaking in to the cart, what retail theory considered to be the cause of empty wallet and fatass syptoms. i would advise all people who are costco "members" to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a hotdogs. peace.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

The brown bag is good. It opens very easily along the seam into a flat plate to eat your dog.

You will have to remove it to add condiments though, I get that.

I got yelled at about the bag once. I held it wrong and it split open so I asked the guy for another and he said, "THE BAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DO THAT. :mad:" I said I know, but I accidentally ripped it, so I wanted another. He gave me another bag with a second "THE BAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DO THAT SIR. :mad:"

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

It's actually pronounced "KEEST-co."

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What is this, Half Baked

Thurgood should have taken Mary Jane to the Costco food court

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I only got the take-and-bake once and it was borderline inedible to me compared to the food court. Way breadier crust and less flavorful sauce and toppings.

If you're taking it home though, always order your whole food court pizza "no-cut." It stays hotter and fresher, you can pick your own size of slice, and also that steel cutting frame always looks encrusted with old sauce and gross to me.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

My fav thing to have with gin is cranberry ginger ale, I stockpile it during the holiday season. Has just the right amount of tartness and pairs really nicely!

I wish Costco here had more of a soda selection it is pretty much just coke and multi packs with cursed cream soda in it, the worst soda.

I've never found Costco soda prices to be very good unless you're always buying it at the regular price in other stores. At my local grocery store (Safeway) Coke/Pepsi products have big sales all the time and it brings the price per can much lower than Costco, so I just wait and then buy a few packs.

And yeah, the selection sucks. It's the same story with price for cases of beer at Costco too, but at least in the PNW they have a lot of good craft selections and the prices are decent, just not the best.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Republicans posted:

Around here the base price is $5-6 and they're always on sale buy 2 get 1 free and sometimes b2g2. Right now Safeway has pepsi 12pks 4 for $11.

Yeah, it's this exact deal for me, I always wait for buy 2 get 2. I basically try not to pay more than 25 cents for a can of soda and Costco never goes that low. Also they don't have Vanilla Coke. But I know I shouldn't drink much soda anyway, so I'll go without or buy generic before I pay more.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Chinatown posted:

The foodcourt fruit smoothie is a sleeper item on the menu IMO.

Anyone else love these things?

Yeah, I love them too. They have a real fragile temp range when they're perfect though, once they start to melt it just becomes this sickly sweet juice. You can throw it in the freezer to try to recover a little but if they actually start freezing they'll get all these ice crystals and lose the smoothie texture. Gotta gulp 'em.

The vat of berry compote they use to make them is like my forbidden onion dispenser.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

R2 D2 and the ball robot just came in.

*ball droid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-mWsnX50Nk

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

:yeshaha:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Jim Sinegal should have included the condiments in his death threat demands.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

My niece just had her first hot dog ever and it was a Costco dog.

The rest of her life is downhill

There is a glimmer of hope in her life, the onion dispenser is out there

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

david_a posted:

They started selling Kirkland beer again?! I’ve just heard that the Kirkland Light was legendarily awful

Yeah I was so excited the first time I saw it. 48 packs only, labeled LIGHT BEER. It was like 20 bucks. I was euphoric in the light (beer) of Costco.

It is easily one of the worst pisswater beers I've ever had. Whatever your benchmark is, Milwaukee's, Natty, Keystone... it's somehow both more watery and grosser tasting than all of them. I can't remember if I finished them all, but I definitely powered through an unpleasant number of them.

In conclusion I would definitely buy it again if they brought it back, it can only be improved.

david_a posted:

Kirkland Light: because it’s 11AM somewhere

lol I had seen that video before but somehow never really questioned it being a parody or why he had so many empty boxes. oh boy...

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a19690946/costco-beer-commercial-man/ posted:

By his estimate, Randy Colpek drinks 18 cans of Kirkland Light Beer a day, five days a week. Last time he tried to haul his cans of Kirkland Light Beer to the recycling center, he exceeded the 100-pound limit.

Ror fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 2, 2021

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/1401978778579091460

:hmmyes:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

sexy tiger boobs posted:

The 32 degree mesh boxer briefs are just about as good as those exofficio ones for a fraction of the price. It's probably all made by Chinese children but everything 32 degrees makes is fantastic value.

I've never seen their regular boxer briefs but in cold seasons I wear the 32 degrees long underwear like every single day. They're just the perfect weight/warmth/fit/price.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I just realized that jamon season is imminent

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Heres a tip for the gas lines. The hoses extend so you can pull up to any pump and just stretch the hose out if your gas cap is on the other side of the car. Its super easy to do.

I get such smug satisfaction out of skipping ahead of a bunch of cars and just stretching the hose to fill up before going on my merry way. I never have to wait more than 5 minutes when I go.

You're probably one of those people who looks at me waiting in the long line like I'm an idiot. When I was in Oregon I had an attendant tell me the same thing and I had to sheepishly explain to her that I was so anal about my car that I didn't want the filthy hose touching my trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

If I'm posting up in the Costco food court all day then I guess I've gotta bring my own onion dispenser.