Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Costco should have a premium membership that comes with a chest freezer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

They sell chest freezers at my costco

I got mine there too, it was the first thing I bought with my membership because where am I going to put all this brisket.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Had a near panic attack today because they moved my hands-down favorite Costco item, Stonemill Potato Salad (an absolute steal at $5 CAD for a massive tub) from the salad section to a different refrigerated section. I think this is a Canadian product but if any Canadian goons here like potato salad , give this a try.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

C. Everett Koop posted:

You'll find Costco's kosher selections to be delightful.

I don't know about the other kosher stuff but the kosher meat section is always my second stop at the 'co after I get my potato salad.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Yesterday after my shopping trip I went to get an iced tea from the machine near the doors and there was a dude restocking the one next to it. After I made my selection , the dude goes NO NO NO and I was ready to start dialing 9-1 on my phone when he said, "those aren't cold! I just put em in there! You gotta look for the frost on the bottles!"

My dude opened the machine and put my drink back, and grabbed me a cold one. PBUC.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

I would skip the infrastructure and partner with some existing retailer to get those Kirkland shits in a non-Costco store. But you know whatd go a long way would be setting up one of those things that Walmart has where you can pre-order all your groceries online and show up just to grab a box.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

I'm trying to think of any product I've bought based on a sample.

Oh actually there was one time I was high at Costco and this dude was going "Fresh and Pure, Fresh and Purrrre" and he was sampling pineapple juice and you can bet your rear end that I bought six litres of pineapple juice that day out of sheer terror. Good juice though and I was never able to find that brand again (the brand was called Fresh and Pure). Anyway that's my sample story pbuc

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Apprentice Dick posted:

This morning I will make the sacred journey to Costco for meats, fruit and frozen goods at excellent prices. Also the I uncured Canadian bacon is amazing. PBUC.

Hey what's the brand on that bacon? I'm hitting the co tomorrow to pick up some cards (Costco photo services for baby announcements y'all) and wouldn't mind grabbing some to put on, or possibly in, burgs.

Oh wait, uncured? I guess it's a fresh meat thing? If it's frozen, hmu

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Apprentice Dick posted:

It's Jones brand cherrywood smoked Canadian bacon. I freeze one of the two packs in the container and it works out fine.

Thanks!

Today was a good day. You guys changed up my whole game with the suggestion to get the dog first. Plus you can get a fresh drink refill to tote around while you shop. Stay hydrated y'all.

Plus I found a secret way into the parking lot that allows me to skirt the lines of cars waiting to get gas. PBUC

Also, I haven't tried the diapers but the Kirkland brand baby wipes are the best you can get. Even if you don't have a baby, treat yourself and get some to keep by the toilet. It's like wiping your ahsss weet seelk

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Even the pictures, airbrushed and food-styled, don't look as good as Costco's offerings c'mon son

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

naem posted:

Is there such thing as bad maple syrup??

Canadian here. There is absolutely some motor-oil-rear end bottom tier maple syrup out there. It'd generally be better than your Aunt Jemima corn syrup but still really bad.

I've never bought it at Costco though. My wife's family makes it every winter and we end up with huge jug that lasts a year.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

They have Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches at Canadian Costco which are pretty good but not a replacement for The Dog or The Pole.

Costco poutine is loving dooope though. Costco's cheese game is not to be hosed with, though you almost always have to tell them not to skimp on the gravy.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Shaking my loving head at these jerks that don't even appreciate a free Kirkland brand scorpion

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova-scotia/man-finds-live-scorpion-in-bag-of-bananas-from-costco-1.4246595

Also to the inept interviewer that didn't even ask if they got The Dog

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

JewKiller 3000 posted:

polish > dog

fight me

I don't think anyone would dispute this in 98% of situations, but there are certain times when only the dog will do.

e: that Korean pork jerky is next on my list of Costco conquests pbuc

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

FormatAmerica posted:

The one time I got it, it didn't really free itself up from being One Huge Brick of Pork when I heated it up. Any ideas? Taste was alright but texture totally lacking.

How did you heat it up? If it's like the Montreal Smoked Meat I sometimes buy at Costco, you could try putting the whole package in boiling water and then reshred it after. Make sure the plastic is safe to be heated though, or repackage it with a vacuum sealer or in an airtight ziplock bag.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

For sure boil it, and probably add 50% more time than the directions say. The middle was still cool when I did it the directed way. Extra time yielded a hot mass of meat that with just a touch of prodding and helping along was perfect in every aspect.

If you have an Anova or other sous vide rig, it'd be perfect for this. Set it to whatever the internal temperature is supposed to be and leave it for a while for the fat to break down and for it to be heated through.

A sous vide rig is a very good companion for Costco's amazing meat selection. I buy a big package of steaks (or pork chops, or short ribs, or salmon), seal them individually in bags (get your Foodsaver from Costco too) with seasoning, then I can sous vide them really quick when I get home from work.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Not from Costco but my family used to buy an entire goat fairly regularly and divvy it up. Its very common in my city (probably most cities these days) to be able to buy a whole cow/pig and share it as well. Its much cheaper doing it that way if you have the storage space for it and the skills to butcher it, though a lot of the meat share services will even do the butchering for you too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Croatoan posted:

My Costco is located near a movie theater so I was able to have dinner at Costco and go see spider-man. Too bad the tickets you can get for cheap at Costco can't be used on Marvel movies. Still, praise be!

Is that an American thing? I definitely used Costco tickets to see Civil War and Guardians 2.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

One of the great joys in life is sharing a food court table at the Co with a stranger and comparing purchases. I turned a young man onto that good-rear end jerky today.

Like, I don't want to say I just cured Aspergers, but if the Kirkland brand house slipper fits...

pbuc

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

I made this three weeks ago from Costco meat and got-drat it is life affirming.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Honest question, does anyone ever order just one dog? I always tell myself that this will be the time, but it's always been minimum 2, sometimes 3 if I blaze in the parking lot beforehand.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

I get only one soda (one refill, I'm not a big soda guy), so maybe I'm cheating myself? Sometimes I will double cup it for stability in the cart while I make the rounds.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 26, 2017

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

It is but my sacrament

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Dely Apple posted:

I impulse bought an Ultimate Sherpa Throw, it is very soft and comfy and I'm just going to be under here until April.

This thing rules. My wife bought one, and a week later I had to get one for myself.

E: this is also very cool. Treat yaself this Christmas.
https://m.costco.com/Sunbeam-Velvet-Plush-Heated-Blanket.product.100375152.html

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Be the third to sex under the Sherpa. It’s good, friend.

I literally conceived my second child under a Costco Sherpa, pbuc

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

LionArcher posted:

Picked up a Sherpa blanket. Omg it’s so soft.

PBUC

I wish Costco made a Sherpa tracksuit or onesie, like the Sherpas presumably wear to work.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Thinkin about that Sherp. I've got exactly one non-bathroom room in my house that isn't equipped with one and it eats me up inside.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Literally no reason to buy anything but the king size. No one on earth has ever uttered the phrase "this ultracomfortable furry portion of heaven itself is too darned big"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Washing a bigger quilt is tough, and so is drying it

Wrap yourself in it and run through a car wash

E: or avail yourself of Costco's liberal return policy and just exchange it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Good Dog posted:

Give kids massive handfuls of candy. Last year we ended up reverse trick or treating and walked around the neighborhood giving candy away.

Basically this. I have way more than I need to just give one or two out. I tell kids to pick and then act mad that they didn't take more, while giving them another handful.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Squashy Nipples posted:

My Costco has a really impressive wine selection, at good prices. Even if you don't know jack poo poo about wine, they put up enough info on the signs to help you out.

Sherpa blanket owners beware, this is your likely fate:

https://local.theonion.com/girlfriend-to-stay-underneath-blanket-for-next-5-months-1819575780

I don't know if they still sell it but Costco used to sell another blanket with a zipper in the middle so you could stick your head through and wear it like a cape of sorts. Sorry if like a Snuggie but with much better material (a spill resistant polyester on the outside and microfibre inside). In my pre-Sherpa life that thing was extremely my jam.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

large hands posted:

and poutine. West coast Canada. they used to do a tasty Montreal smoked meat sandwich but they ditched it a couple years ago, sadly

They def still have the smoked meat here in Toronto. I can't confirm but I think they use the Schwartz's stuff that you can buy in-store, which is legit, OG smoked meat.

We should all post pics of our various localized food court menus and add it to the OP.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Small cup of hummus
A warm smile and a hair net
I love free samples

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Pretty sure this is a Canadian product but my brethren from the north, let me bring you the good news of these Roots mittens.

They're actually double gloves, with a pair of touchscreen gloves (warm on their own) inside a pair of extremely warm mittens with goatskin (!!) on the palm for extra grip. They are the best mittens I've ever owned and are like a Sherpa for your hands. I strongly recommend giving them a whirl if you're shoveling or doing anything outside this winter. PBUC

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wow those look amazing. Can I order from Costco.ca as US Costco member?

Not sure but I expect not. I've had trouble ordering items from other provinces so international orders might not work. You could go in person and see if your local Costco could order them to the store, maybe?

Also $38 CAD is the most expensive I've seen them, though they're still worth it at that price. I got mine for $25 CAD.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

You get the chicken as well as the big bottle of Nando's sauce they sell. Literally no reason to go back to Nando's ever.

E: and the cheddar Bay biscuits too

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Tim Whatley posted:

I went in mine yesterday and the whole front entrance has some sort of warm memory foam slippers. Might even been sherpa.

These are good slippers if they're the same ones we have here. My wife had a pair.

Speaking of memory foam, Costco also sells these memory foam kitchen mats for people who cook, wash dishes, or are otherwise standing around in the kitchen a lot. I was skeptical of them but they are really great if you've got a tile or hardwood floor in your kitchen.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Jingleheimer posted:

Alright guys, anyone have any questions for a Costco employee? I'm bored and I don't mind talking about work because I am employed by the greatest company in the world.

What's the craziest thing someone has ever returned?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Today's Costco purchase is a pre-black Friday priced television to replace the one my daughter smashed at my in-laws.

If you got the daughter at Costco they'll probably take her back even if you don't have the bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Magius1337est posted:

anyone shop at costco use an extra freezer to store all that stuff?

The very first thing I bought after my Costco membership was a chest freezer. Unfortunately not from Costco though.