Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

priznat posted:

One of my fav things about costco is the unpredictable items that show up, it keeps going for a shop a bit exciting.

One of my least fav things is the flip side where things I really like are available for a while then gone forever. Stacy’s Pita chips noooo.

The veggie chocolate muffins. Gone but not forgotten.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jingleheimer posted:

You know what was great? Working in a Costco that was going through an expansion/remodel. Went from the smallest warehouse in the Midwest to the biggest in the Midwest. It was so much fun working around contractors and them working around me. I'm so glad it's all over with now.

This doesn't sound like it was a great experience at all though, OP?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FizFashizzle posted:

had my first trip to costco today

nothing fancy, just essentials

did buy like 3 gallons of white vinegar for making pickles though. also a brita water filter.

Filter the vinegar then film yourself chugging it. Such is the verdict of the thread.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Mini nann and hummus cups. PBUC.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is WinCo like Wegmans?

We’re Costco/Trader Joes personally?

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Chinatown posted:

WinCo has an absolutely INSANE bulk section. Everything from blueberry muffin mix to sour patch kids.

Also amazing rubs/seasonings that I use on my meats.

Ur mum has an amazing rub which she uses on my meat.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Ur mum has an amazing rub which she uses on my meat.

The way she gets the kosher salt and the Cayenne pepper in there real good by prepping the meat with a tenderizer that’s :discourse:.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

KakerMix posted:

I'm super spoiled for choice. Costco, Trader Joes, Lucky's, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Sprouts, Publix, and of course Walmart and Target if I hate myself, all within 7~ or so miles of each other. CostCo is great but lmao if you think you can get everything you need there, especially fresh produce on demand.

No WinCo over here in Florida, but in Wisconsin we did have Woodmans which sounds quite similar, employee owned, hella bulk section, and just a general good vibe about the whole place.

Fresh Market was p.deece (or at least VAR > 0) but they pulled up stakes and left the Milwaukee Metro super suddenly like 6 months or a year ago.

They had great lavash crackers.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I like their spanikopita but they sometimes give me :gas:?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Blistex posted:

Went nearly 10 years without a Costco membership, and my wife convinced me that we needed one for baby supplies, etc.

Went to Costco last weekend and can confirm that it's still easily the worst shopping experience outside of coming into contact with human feces in a Walmart change room or a terrorist attack at a Target.

:stare:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

priznat posted:

I love me some good sourdough.

I am second to none for my love of a good sourdough but “crisp” has never really been on my list of adjectives for said good sourdough?

Like, most of the time I’ll be using a big ‘ol boule of sourdough for making cheese toasts and the attribute I’m looking for is “soft” (wrt the bread) and “crusty” (wrt the crust) not “crisp” per se?

E: Mods, plz rename to “I’ve got big boules”, tia...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

smoobles posted:

Let me start by saying I love the 'stco... but I've had my first terrible Costco experience!

We need to talk about the tire center. It's a blemish on an otherwise perfect company.

I got new tires there, and when I arrived on time for my appointment slot, they told me there was a 2 hour wait. I said "but this is the time you told me to come" and he shrugged, seemingly deflecting the blame to the tire gods above. So I waited, ate some free samples, sat on a display sofa. It was not the worst thing (they were affordable tires)

Then later I had a flat, and called up the tire center, asking when I could bring it in for repair. He said "today there is a 4 hour wait"

I said "Oh wow, that's a long time"

He said "If you want to make an appointment we have a slot open on Monday 2 weeks from now"

I said "Wow! I am driving unsafely with a nail in my tire, so maybe not!"

Then I took my car to Discount Tire and they fixed it for free w/o a warranty in under 45 minutes.

So, long story short, I found the only flaw in Costco, but yay Discount Tire.

EDIT: Also, the Discount Tire is right next to the Costco, so now I've mentally combined the two businesses into one ideal experience.

This broadly “jives with” (as the kids say these days) what I’ve heard about the Costco tire service, sorry to say.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

wtf

why would you not take a day trip so that you can throw it into the ocean?

Why is this a meme?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Excessively large box of individually-sized sachets of Gummis Bear: not nearly excessively large enough.
:goonsay:

PBUC

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 29, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

poisonpill posted:

What’s the scoop on Costco furniture? It doesn’t seem like a great deal for the couch or tables or bed frames really. They’re not super quality materials but they also aren’t like IKEA cheap.

Their leather sofas are the cushions of the gods.

Someday I hope to have the space to get some, I’ve silently envied my cousin’s for years.

PBUC
B
U
C

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Taima posted:

cheese curds in my fridge

:gonk:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Taima posted:

Is that weird? I have little packages of cheese curds for snacking that I got from the 'Co.

Cheese curds shouldn’t be refrigerated. It makes the oil leave and makes them stop squeaking.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They have to be refrigerated if you want to keep them like most cheeses so they don't mold.

Take them out of the fridge 30-60 minutes before you eat them.

I buy cheese curds maybe once a week or so.

Fair enough, I've just never found myself needing to store cheese curds for any appreciable length of time?

:goonsay: AF...

E:

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

This is from several pages ago, but I recently bought an Interstate deep cell marine battery from Costco. It cost significantly less than I had budgeted for and it works like a champ.

Throw the old one in the ocean, it's perfectly legal and feels great.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hypnolobster posted:

it is for 1 (one) refill, sir

hosed-up if true.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

tangy yet delightful posted:

What sort of mods do you like a prostitute to be running?

Tale of Two Wastelands?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

killer crane posted:

After the disaster that was the Scots brand half ply tp my wife got last year at Costco, I bought the nice kirklands stuff. It lasted probably half as long though, and my wife is considering switching back. Save me brothers.

Go on a wipe-strike?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pennywise the Frown posted:

To be honest, if you can afford a TV then you can afford the $50 membership that gives you a ton more benefits. If you end up saving on a TV at Costco, well that just paid for your year of excellent prices, customer service, and quality products!!!

PBUC

Also pizza and Pepsi.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MarcusSA posted:

One free refill.

:qqsay:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I just put some of the pre-cooked Tortilini (which is :awesome: IMO) in a toaster oven for 12 minutes at 350. It didn't burn but I didn't moisten them so they were a little crisp.

I'll have to try pre-soaking them in salt water before cooking them next time.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm not that much a fan of the costco jug of hummus.

:wrong:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

I just wish there was more of the pine nuts and tapenade throughout the rest of the tub and not just on top.

In that there’s an insufficient amount to produce a good density when thoroughly mixed-in, or because you just eat the stuff off the top like some sort of goddamn animal?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

I just eat the stuff off the top like some sort of goddamn animal.

:same:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I like sabra better! Roasted red pepper por vida or get ouut.

Wait, does Costco have their own large size? I’ve seen the little Kirklands, the little Sabras, and the big Sabras but never a big Kirkland?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

You know, it'd be cool if there was a hot dawg cart next to the pumps so while you wait you can order a DAWG from an attendant and get your grub on while ya wait for some gas.

Get gas for yourself then for your car.

How would they handle the one refill?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

priznat posted:

Also a hose with the hot dog filling.

Mustard?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ultimate Mango posted:

Am I completely mental to consider buying a MacBook from Costco? It’s like three hundred bucks off with AppleCare and a better return policy than Apple. Only thing is you can’t customize to add memory or storage.

If it’s an MBA get it and don’t worry about the ram upgrade IMO: you probably aren’t going to be doing anything on an MBA where the RAM is the bottleneck?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Vato posted:

My fried got one from Sam's and one from Costco, and they were both 'memory foam' and startlingly good quality for the price. If you like memory foam, I think it's a good deal. You can pay like 100 bucks cheaper at Ikea and be miserable if you want, though.

Pff, jokes on you, I’m already miserable!

:smuggo:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Those remind me of the papasan chairs which were popular when I was in college.

E: only without the wicker frame, obvs.?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

priznat posted:

I can’t eat the pack of dogs fast enough,

I think the pros find that oiling them helps?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Costco: I’m ANGRY about insufficient hot dog consumption rates and inconsistent undershirt sizing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MarcusSA posted:

Btw they are still hands down the best undershirts you can buy for the money.

All cotton?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlr2ZMTc52E

Please don’t fight, thread.

:ohdear:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 27, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So, no doubt Costco flannels are as good as advertised, but:

https://www.costco.com/MagnaClick-Men’s-Flannel-Shirt.product.100430502.html posted:

Should not be worn if one has a pacemaker

:chloe:

E: Fukkin magnet buttons, how do they work? :doh:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
BORAT VOICE MY WIFE got the falafels and the sharp cheddar from the 'sco, they're real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If that oil is actually good it could be a big help in my "All olives other than Kalamatas are complete trash and all olive groves should be uprooted to provide more groves for kalamatas" idea.