Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Listen to him, men. He's just crazy enough to do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSvCK_xH84s

Costco challenging Big Chicken to keep bringing you affordable Rotisserie Chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Does that make it a sandwich or a taco?

Per the Cube Rule a hot dog is a taco and a hot dog wrapped in a pizza would remain a taco.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Donkeys are not recognized as service animals by law. Miniature horses on the other hand...

Yeah I've seen a service mini horse at the Kirkland Costco. He did not poo poo on the floor.
Glendale Church has a big sign now that says only service animals are allowed.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. The reason it's been $1.50 forever is because the soda is where all the profit margin is baked in despite the rising cost of the dog.

If it was just a hot dog for $1 or $1.50 or whatever then the math doesn't work. You can't separate the soda from the equation.

Youíre going to have to show your math here. Unless PepsiCo is paying Costco to sell the soda, what you are saying makes zero sense.

The $1.50 1/4lb all beef hotdog plus a soda with refill is a loss leader, they have stated as much. They lose money on each one they sell to get you into the store. If it was just $1.50 dawg, they would lose less on each transaction, the cost of goods on soda is low, but itís not negative.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I am in Bucharest this week for work. There are no Costco here. I can feel my powers weakening.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Renegret posted:

One time I got a churro from Costco and they forgot to put the cinnamon sugar on top.

That was sure as hell not blessed I'll tell you what

Everytime I got churros at the Seattle Costco's there was almost no cinnamon sugar on them. It was like they didn't know what a churro was supposed to be.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

GORDON posted:

This is a thing that can be done (or, at least used to be).

I remember about a decade ago when gas was around $3 per gallon. Peeps had bought.... gasoline futures? when gas was still $1.50. They buy like 5000 gallons at $1.50, but they can use it some time later. They were on the news getting their $1.50/gallon gas when the rest of us were paying $3.50.

I don't remember the actual name of this. "Futures" may not be correct.

Commodity Futures is a thing, but it's generally more complex than that and not typically done for gasoline, but for crude oil by institutional buyers.

It is used by regular people for heating oil though, since you know how much oil you need to heat your home, you can commit to buying it in the summer when prices are low with a delivery date during the winter when you need it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reminder that thereís no such thing and you need to throw them away. Even if they say ďseptic safeĒ or whatever, they arenít and can clog up your sewer or your septic field.

Yeah, google "Fatberg"

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

So Facebook recommended a Costco group for me to join, and I accepted. Turns out itís a (mostly)employee group, thereís a little bit of bitching and sniping at dumb customers but itís mostly extremely wholesome.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Anyone gone to a business center to see if they have industrial style TP?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

GORDON posted:

Are there seriously like 40 Costcos in the LA area?

The LA Metro is a huge area, bigger than several states.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

FCKGW posted:

They gotta basically double up in some places

I used to live 1 mile south of that giant Tustin Costco, which is just 2 miles north of the Irvine Costco. There was a 'co just a few minutes in every direction from my front door.

I was told that the old Tustin Costo was supposed to be replaced by the new one, but they still did enough business to keep them both open.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Minto Took posted:

My church was logjammed by free samples. I hope they never come back.

Every church Iíve been to has been jammed by samples. Good riddance.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

pentyne posted:

I had a roommate would would import A5 from Japan like one of those butcher box meat deliveries. He'd cook like 3-4oz of it at a time for a meal. It's not something you can scarf down like a regular steak every bite is like chewing meat butter.

Yeah, Iím a steak fanatic and a 4oz cut of wagyu is more than enough for me.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

They've been trying to bring "back" the churro for ages, no idea what the holdup is. Last I heard it's going up to 1.5 bucks but it's gonna have chocolate inside. Or maybe it was a chocolate churro. I cant remember

The churro never went away at my churches.
The ones in Seattle were pretty lame (like most PNW Mexican food) not enough cinnamon, but in LA they got them right.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I recently learned that Costco has a Mortgage service. Has anyone used it?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Laterite posted:

If you don't live somewhere that gets Oberto's, then don't bother.

Obertos is some of the worst jerky known to man, and I feel bad because you are probably an unfortunate PNWer who has never had good jerky.

That said, Costco jerky is regional, in the Pacific Northwest they have Obertos, in California they have Pacific Gold, etc. although Iíve noticed that recently theyíre selling a lot more fancy brands like Dukes. They also have a few Kirkland brands, like their Steak Strips, which are good quality but a little bland.

One thing to look out for is sugar almost all the jerky is packed with it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I grew up with this stuff and itís some of the best you can get IMO.

https://cattaneobros.com

Itís good jerky

A coworker turned me onto this recently, itís really good.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

SirPablo posted:

Light items on the belt. Everything else stays in the cart, UPC flipped up. Checkout done in 30s. Bing bing bong.

This is the way.

I don't know why this is even a discussion.

e: Also return your cart to the corral.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

My father was not a religious man, but he was a 35 year career retail clerk and he would say to me.

"There are two types of people in this world, the ones who return their cart, and the ones who die and go directly to hell."

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

.Z. posted:

Churros are back at the Seattle Costco. They are just the same as before, not "IMPROVED AND BETTER THAN EVER" unfortunatley.

This is a Seattle problem not a Costco problem.
I don't know what the hell is wrong with Seattle, but they can't make a decent churro there.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Thereís actually a reason this happens, itís strangely unintuitive.

https://youtu.be/jILgxeNBK_8

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I also learned (a little) how to use a honing... thing... and I'm surprised how much those things work. I'll wait until my blades get super dull to the point where it's dangerous before I replace them. :haw:

If they get dull, you don't replace them, you just take them to a cutlery shop and have them sharpened.

Honing doesn't sharpen the blade, it re-aligns the blade edge. No material is being removed. Actual sharpening removes a bit of blade material to restore the sharp edge.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Fashionably Great posted:

One thing that all nice knife households need is the knife we call the "gently caress you knife" or the "gently caress off knife". This is the knife you use in one of two situations: ones where you are knowingly using the knife in such a way that if you saw someone else using a good knife for, you'd tell them to go gently caress themselves, or that's the knife you give someone to use if you know they don't treat knives well.

I know it's bad to use the tip to pry open the spice jar, I know it's bad to toss in the dishwasher. I don't do that to my nice knives. This is the knife you don't give a poo poo about. It's almost as important as the good knives we have in our house. This isn't a good knife. The handle sucks, the blade doesn't hold an edge. It hangs on the magnetic knife rack with pride, ready to be abused.

When I was a kid we had a pair of as seen on TV Ginsu knives. We used them for all kinds of dumb things. The forked tip made a good bottle opener, the serrated blades meant you could use them for sawing stuff. One got left outside for awhile and the dog chewed up the handle but it kept on trucking.
I would never have used one for cooking, but drat they were good utility knives.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

Pizza price inflation is a sign of the end of the world. Soon a pie will cost 50 dollars.

I worked at Pizza Hut in the early 90s and their pizzas are actually (very slightly) cheaper now than they were then. Delivery used to be free though, so total cost for delivered pizzas have gone up but not nearly as much as other other things have increased in the same time.

It makes me wonder what theyíve done to keep the costs down.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

fizzymercury posted:

I got mantises last year to combat my june bug infestation and instead of killing the june bugs I just added mantises to the loving formation of assault bugs. You ever had a mantis slam into your glasses while holding a june bug in it's mandibles? Because that's my every day.

It was worth it because my victory garden is pest free. Just learn how to duck and dive.

I'm not a bug-science man, but june bugs might be a symptom of a worse infestation.
When I was a kid we had a big oak tree in our back yard that was infested with june bugs, so we went about killing them. Turns out the june bugs were eating some sort of worm that was infesting the tree, and without the june bugs there to control the population the tree quickly died.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Does costco offer delivery and install for big appliances? I need a new washer and dryer in my house.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Went to Costco yesterday and let me tell you, attending church as a new homeowner is like another level of bliss. There are whole new aisles that are open and appealing to me that I never even dreamed of while living in an apartment. This must be what it's feels like to get your thetan levels to the maximum.

I spent $700 without purchasing any food, I only stopped because my car is small and couldn't carry any more home.
Imma find a pickup truck and then things are going to get really silly. This years executive reward is going to be epic.

PBUC

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

These kirkland mixed nuts are great but I wish they had more pecans.

More pecans would be great, but I'd be happy with just less almonds.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

fischtick posted:

That reminds me: I saw a sous vide kit at the Co last time I was there. https://www.costco.com/anova-sous-vide-precision-cooker-kit.product.100671168.html

Comes with a recirculator and a bin. I swear it was more like $129 in-store. Maybe they baked in a shipping cost?

Everything seems to be more expensive on the website.
There's a few things that are too big for my car and I went to the website to see if I could get them delivered and they were all $100+ more expensive on the site.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

AmbientParadox posted:

There's a Costco nearby that's in a business park so it's super common to see people with badges eating there. I'm guessing it's a cheaper and nicer cafeteria than some buildings have, and probably

Yeah I've regularly gone to Costco just to get dogs and pizza with co-workers. Now I work from home so every lunch is a Costco lunch.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

candystarlight posted:

Any recommendations for low carb foods from Costco?

My dad was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and so my mom and I are trying to fill the house with better options for him.

The various nuts are all top quality, just watch out for honey roasted stuff. They always have really good and reasonably priced macadamia nuts. The mixed nuts tend to have too many almonds for my taste but your mileage may vary
Chicharrons are a good substitute for potato chips, some people even use them to substitute for bread crumbs on fried food.

Some things to watch out for, almost every beef jerky is packed with sugar, and the ones that say no sugar, tend to taste bland at best and bitter at worst.
The cocktail sauce that comes with the shrimp cocktail is full of sugar, I tried making my own sugar free but it wasn't very good.

I'm always skeptical of "no carb" or "Keto" snacks like choco-clusters, check the labels carefully, often the serving sizes are miniscule, and they're not really that low carb when you eat them in normal amounts.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

All that poo poo is pure marketing BS. I don't think there's a single Keto Snack that Costco sells that actually is low carb

Yeah there's also inconclusive evidence that many of the non-sugar sweeteners they use in those things have the same effect on blood sugar as regular sugar does.

Also watch out for seasoning mixes, a lot of them have sugar in them too, I was surprised to find Traegers garlic chili rub had sugar as it's second listed ingredient. I've taken to only uses spice mixes I make myself from component spices, some of which can be purchased at church for great prices.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

FCKGW posted:

The cheese pizza has more cheese than the pepperoni does

This is the case at many/most pizza places, just not to the degree it is at costco. It's easy to hide that you're going easy on the cheese if the pizza has toppings to hide it.

Regarding Self-Checkout:
I always use full service checkout at Costco because I don't want those cashiers to lose their job to machines.
I always use self-checkout at Walmart because losing their Walmart job would be a blessing to those cashiers.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

In over 30 years I have never once been held up at the exit because something in my cart didn't appear on the receipt, but I cannot count the number of times I've been held up while they verify that I did in fact purchase 3 whole packs of bacon (or something else) like the receipt says and that they're all in my cart.

It makes me feel like Costco cares about me.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

poisonpill posted:

TP and Paper Towels were completely cleared out today.
:rip:

There's been no TP at my local church the last couple time's I've been, but there was plenty at the local grocery store. So I dunno what's goin' on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Witnessed a blessing at church today.

Was on my way out and the guy in front of me had four flats of bottled water in his cart. The receipt checker saw there were five on his receipt and immediately stopped him, had somebody come out to verify it and they refunded him on the spot.