Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

The Walrus posted:

whats the deal with the kitchenaid pro 600 that's not a pro 600 at costco? is it all metal insides like the real pro?

I heard from a friend in the restaurant industry that none of the new KitchenAid mixer have metal gear anymore. They are all nylon, including the pro series. They specifically say you cant use them to make bread anymore. Not sure how true it is, but a mutual friend of ours broke his pro model making bread, found only nylon gears inside, and KitchenAid would not honor the warranty because he was making bread, ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Gatts posted:

Seriously? That’s lame. I was hoping to buy one. Sucks.

Buy a used one and re-grease the gears first thing.

Edit: drat autocorrect

Uncle Lizard fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 9, 2020

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

GeneticWeapon posted:

I was suddenly just questioning myself if whether or not I would buy food making equipment off of ebay. I think I would.

I would as long as the seller offered free returns.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I just had to replace the worm gear in my pro model after ten years of use, including frequently making bread with it. The worm gear is the only nylon one, and it's nylon because it's a sacrificial part. It's designed to fail so you won't damage the motor and/or end up with metal shavings fouling up the inside of the gear box. You can absolutely make bread with it, but the mixer's instructions specifically say not to go over speed level 2 when using the dough hook. A lot of people ignore that and wear their poo poo out prematurely and get mad about it.

In summary: they wouldn't give you a dough hook if you weren't supposed to make bread and the nylon gear is a nonissue if you spend $20 on parts and replacement grease once a decade.

From my friend's experience, all the gears were nylon, and it specifically said to not make bread in the instructions. His argument when he tried to get it fixed under warranty was why would they give him a bread hook if he wasn't supposed to make bread with it. They told him it was for loose doughs only. This was about 5 years ago, so you must have one of the older good ones like I have.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I bought mine in 2009. I think your friend broke his mixer and made up a bunch of poo poo to save face.

So you're saying what I'm saying, that they changed the internals to save money since you or I have purchased one of their mixers. My friend does not have to save face, especially since he was using a mixer for mixer things. I don't know why it's so hard for you to imagine that a capitalistic company would cut corners to increase profits. Maybe you have stocks in KitchenAid.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

.Z. posted:

Your friend might be mixing up their ‘Pro Line’ with the Professional or Pro 6 series, which are plastic gears.

The Pro Line is still advertised as having metal gears, you can see it in the specs section: https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...state=pg:2/ct:r

I didn't know they made another line above the pro series, but it's the pro series I'm referring to. I had a pro series with metal gears that I got 10 years ago, lost in divorce unfortunately. My friend bought the same exact model 4 years later and it had plastic gears.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Gaius Marius posted:

Real cheese curds come from Wisconsin and no where else. Don't ,@ me

I think Beecher's in Seattle and Tillamook in Oregon might have some words for you.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

My white whale are these frozen chicken cordron bleu (pierre i think?).
Neither the Costco Business Center or standard Costco near me never stock these items.
WHATS THE DEAL. I am a new to the church.

I asked about those a while back at the Costco I go to in Western Washington. It looks like they were only available in Texas at the time, with no plans on bringing them back up here anytime soon.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

poisonpill posted:

What’s the difference between the USDA Prime and Choice beef? And what cuts are the disciples buying these days? Tenderloin, New York? Looking to buy less meat (for the dumb environment), but better quality when we do get it.

USDA prime is higher quality than choice. It goes prime, choice, select, utility, and water blasted beef carcass, which is what they use at Taco Bell. I just picked up a prime brisket and chuck today at church.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Took a risk and got Foster Farms frozen buffalo wings. That brand has a poor reputation but I trust the church

I thought Foster Farms was the good one, because I know Tyson is a lovely company.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
Whoever doesn't like salt on their cookies or chocolate are plebians

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

The North Tower posted:

Anyone in the Seattle area seen a jamón? I tried Redmond, but couldn’t see any...maybe I missed it?

Tacoma has it and the Fife business center has it. I know that's a little south for you, but it's there. Tukwila usually has everything, and that's not too far south.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

The North Tower posted:

If I call and ask will they know what I’m talking about or will I need an item number? Otherwise I’m fine with a little trip down. Thanks!

I would hope they would know what you were talking about. Maybe look it up on their website to get an item number just in case you get a seasonal dunce on the phone.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

priznat posted:

Does costco sell funnels

Business Costco does at least.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Chinatown posted:

Saw an article this morning about people might be starting to panic buy again. My supermarket is low on TP again so I'm not sure if its noticeable at Costco yet.

My local Costco was out yesterday. I just ordered some non Kirkland toilet paper online through their website. People are being dumb again.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Martman posted:

Not sure what cannibalism has to do with ham but ok

Long pig

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
I think the smallest at mine are the 18 packs of the omega-3 eggs

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

ArbitraryC posted:

This is all absolutely terrible advice if you’re trying to shop on a budget. Costco stuff is in bulk but it’s also usually more expensive per pound than the same at of a decent grocery store even when sold in smaller portions.

What Costco does well is sell you premium items in bulk cheaper than you could get elsewhere. With some stuff where the label makes a big difference this is a good deal, with others it’s not at all. As an easy example getting chicken or pork at Costco is dumb outside of good sales, but getting a bulk pack of prime steaks is gonna be cheaper.

This is not true, at least not in my area. Everything that Fred Meyer (Kroger) or Walmart carries that Costco also carries is always cheaper at Costco, by unit. Safeway is the most expensive of everyone. Costco just doesn't have the selection that regular grocery stores have.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

ArbitraryC posted:

Safeway and Fred Meyer and such is a poor comparison because those sorts of stores are basically only good to shop at on weekly fliers. You can easily get chicken at Safeway for 50% less than Costco on their coupon price but you gotta check out the weekly sales ad for that which I understand some people don’t wanna waste the time on doing.

Something like winco or presumably aldi’s though, it’s literally always just cheaper. I can assure you as a person who both shops aggressively for deals and can juggle numbers in my head easily, Costco is for the most part more expensive even by weight despite buying in bulk because it goes for more premium quality, organic labels etc.

I’m not saying that’s a bad trade necessarily, you get onions or such at Costco and they will last longer than cheap grocery stores, but they’re also literally 2x as expensive.

About the only thing I’ve consistently found to be cheaper at Costco in terms of fresh food is dairy and expensive protein (prime cuts of beef, fish, along those lines).

Now if you live out of boxed/frozen foods yeah it’s a utopia.

No Aldi here, and WinCo is much cheaper on some things, but I'm not talking about comparing trash tier to what you can buy at Costco. I'm taking about buying equal quality goods. What I buy at Costco that they carry at WinCo is the same or ever so slightly cheaper at Costco. WinCo's hot sauce selection is awesome, and they beat everyone else's price on hot sauce. Unfortunately, it's worth the little extra money to not set foot in the WinCo in my city because the people there are rude as gently caress. It's like an entitled Walmart, but I still go for hot sauce a couple of times a year.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

poisonpill posted:

Goin’ to the Co today, any recommendations on decent whiskey or otherwise good locked at home brews?

Pendleton and Suntory.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Virigoth posted:

Is Toki any good? I’ve only ever had Hibiki and it was drat good.

Toki is good. It is very mellow.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

In America they just tell you that you ruined the carpet, pocket your money, and leave the same old carpet in the place so they can do it again to the next tenant.

It may be a state to state thing, or even more local than that, but I could have sworn that if you live in a place for over a year they could not charge you for replacing carpet or painting. Maybe it was just painting. I never plan on getting a security deposit back ever anyway because they look for any reason to gently caress you.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Uncomfortably wet, too creamy. Did I get a bad one?

Nah, never. Who are you, Ben Shapiro?

Also: The ravioli lasagna is one of the best things Costco sells. It is by far the best pasta dish.

Uncle Lizard fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 28, 2021

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

fischtick posted:

Probably a regional thing, but in the PNW Costco is selling lil landjaegers by Bavarian Meats (out of Seattle). They’re short, stout little dried sausages. Subtle flavor, but delicious. I’d love it if they had a spicier version.

Serving size is two! I aspirationally put two in my flannel pocket, take maybe three steps and they’re both gone.

Bavarian Meats is the poo poo! If anyone has the chance to eat the "Smokin' Hot Cheese," eat it. It might be one of the best things I have ever eaten on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

number 1 snake fan posted:

It does when they stand in front of their gas tank the entire time they fill up so they're standing in the passing lane. Then they give you the White Look™ when you pull into the center and they won't move

This is what happens at my Costco, with the big rear end truck, also parked hosed up and 3 feet from the pump. I patiently wait to get gas at a pump that is on the same side as my gas hole to lead by example.